Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A number of authors I follow on Twitter are posting about getting ARCs of Harrow the Ninth and my jealousy knows no bounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yeah not every book needs to read like Cormac McCarthy.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Next up is To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts, a nice fat standalone fantasy that's basically a thriller. The princess has gone missing the night of her betrothal banquet and the captain of the guard has been tapped to lead up the investigation. Cue a lot of interesting court politics, weird magic, and then in the back half of the book the author reveals that she's a horse girl and if you do not love horses you will not appreciate those chase sequences as much as I did. They're such great horses, haha. I really loved this book and blazed through it quickly, and it's the best of Wurts' works - it distills everything she's good at. If you like her, there's more - her earlier work is weak (sadly) but her Curse of the Mistwraith mega-series is 10+ books of truly epic fantasy. I've read four of the books and they're really good but also really tough to read because awful things keep happening. Not in a grimdark way, but in a way where the main character has the worst luck in the entire world, and his brother has been cursed to hate him so he's also doing everything in his power to screw him over. If you start this series you're in for a ride, but be warned that the final book in the series isn't out yet and won't be for at least a few years.

She was giving away stacks of the hardcover at DragonCon. I grabbed one, good to know it's worth reading.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It seems likely we're going to get a lot more info on that dynamic in the next book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Brian Keene has an underwater base that poo poo GOES BAD in Pressure.

This is not a very good book, and I say that as someone that is generally a fan of Keene's work.

Unrelated, but has anyone read The Black Hawks by David Wragg? It looks interesting but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I bought the book via amazon as a physical copy because I adore paperbacks, and I was wondering - while that's the cheapest and most effective way to get me a book as soon as it can get here, is it really the best way to support an author? Is there like, a direct itch.io storefront or something, or is amazon the best place?

Ignoring self-published authors for a moment, they get paid the same no matter where you buy a book as they've either received an advance or get a royalty that is detailed in their contract. That said, most authors will tell you to buy books from independent book stores as Amazon is forcing publishers to lower prices, which is often reflected in smaller advances and royalties.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

I recently read Prince of Thorns, which I enjoyed but it didn't really blow me away (I'm a big fan of the post-post-apocalypse fantasy idea). Now I'm on to King of Thorns, and maybe a little shy of a quarter of the way through, and it feels very slow and aimless. I'm kind of lost as to what the bigger picture is in this book, it kind of feels like Jorg just loving around and pointedly not letting the reader know why. Does the pace pick up at all, or start going in a different direction? I'm getting kind of bored with it but would soldier through if it's worth it.

It starts picking up and building momentum. I thought King was a lot better than Prince.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Cardiac posted:

I wouldn’t call Hobb or Pratchett a unified series. And the same applies for bundling esslemont with Erikson.

Hobb's work is definitely a unified series. But even if you want to be weird with definitions, there are still nine books about one character.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Cardiac posted:

Nah, of the Fitz series, one is a coming of age, second one is tied to the dragons returning and third one is a generational shift away from Fitz. And the two other series have little to do with Fitz.

OK so you want to be weird with definitions, gotcha :v:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pradmer posted:

Any opinions on Seven Blades in Black by Sam Sykes? I haven't read his other stuff but the first two books in this series are on sale today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079RCCRM6/

It wears its influences on it's sleeve. Mainly Final Fantasy games. At that price I say go for it, it's entertaining enough.

Also the second one isn't actually on sale, it's just a novella.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Amniotic posted:

That's the b-plot in Feist's Magician, isn't it?

Sort of. Ashen-Shugar is a dragon lord, which is basically Tolkien's Valar with the serial numbers filed off.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Well, at least I can save a few bucks down the road now.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The rules have been changed to make it much harder to introduce slates.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mike Resnick passed away.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone got recs for good horror sci-fi? Last thing I read (for the second time) that came close was Blindsight. Also, some sections of The Expanse.

Ship of Fools (Unto Leviathan if you're in the UK)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

FuturePastNow posted:

Meanwhile Harry Turtledove found the correct use of twitter:

https://twitter.com/HNTurtledove/status/1219070058711769088

Learning Harry Turtledove is fairly liberal was a tremendous surprise.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Even if it doesn't, people should read it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

fez_machine posted:

really defending the idea that easily mocked fake as hell Old-timey hobo dialect horror is unreflective of a person's writing

It's much harder to bully an author that has prose quality backing them.

I'd like to see someone try to bully Samuel R. Delany out of a forum based purely on his writing style.

I, too, like to let my tastes be dictated by ten year old shitposts.

Writers tend to improve with time. Read one of his new books or shut the gently caress up.

Edit: And for what it's worth, Mr. Shivers won the Shirley Jackson award. I, personally, trust the opinions of SJA jurists over FYAD.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 17, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pradmer posted:

Grave Peril (Dresden Files 3) by Jim Butcher - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001650UDA/
Hopefully this one is better than the second book.

It's a lot better. Common wisdom holds that it's best to start here and skip the first two books.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I've got an ARC of Harrow, I'm about 1/3 of the way through and I don't know how much I'm allowed to say yet, but just

holy poo poo
this is a lot

Congrats!

I hate you!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

freebooter posted:

I think he's mentioned before he was given a decent advance.

You need to keep in mind that, for a first novel, $10,000 is considered a decent advance. That may or may not have been for the whole series, too, and I do not know if that was the number, but advances for anyone that doesn't have 10+ years of best sellers behind them and/or a number of awards are still small.

Which certainly isn't chump change, but the General isn't doing this for the money.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ccs posted:

So do people generally write in the evenings then while holding down office jobs? Seems tough to finish 4 books on a deadline while doing that, and makes me madder at Rothfuss for having years of idle time that he’s squandered away not writing.

That's one way. They also write during breaks at work, or when they're supposed to be working, or on weekends, or in the mornings before work... There are countless ways authors get their stories finished. It can be very interesting to listen to/read one author interview another and be absolutely floored at how different their writing schedules are (assuming you're in to behind-the-scenes stuff like that).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

freebooter posted:

By the same logic, though, the smaller the advance the sooner it's paid off and the sooner you start getting royalties? Correct me if I'm wrong, I self-pub and Battua talking about how he doesn't get royalties until the advance is paid off was the first I'd ever heard about how an advance works.

Ideally that's how it works. However, it's a sad fact that a lot (I hesitate to say "most" though I've seen that phrasing used before) of advances either don't pay out, or only just pay out; either way, the author never gets any royalties. At least in the latter case, they may get another book deal with that publisher, though.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There's effectively no mid-list anymore as it is all but impossible to earn a living as a (traditionally published) writer. You either hit it big, in which case you aren't really mid-list, or you write when you aren't working your day job and earn some side money.

To be clear, folks still sell mid-list numbers, but advances and royalties have stagnated or been squeezed to the point where they can't live on that income alone.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

As a consolation, she's releasing a Gideon short story on the original release date.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

John Gwynne's Malice is also a Kindle Daily Deal. Any opinions on it? The blurb sounds interesting, though it also seems like it could be kind of bland or cliched in execution.

It's...alright. It has a pretty neat premise, but Gwynne kind of meanders along for way too long.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ccs posted:

Are there any fantasy books that are also spy novels? Like wizards having to infiltrate a rival kingdom or something?

The Baru Cormorant series is one to check out.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ccs posted:

Also The Collapsing Empire is free this month from Tor. Is it any good?

That's only for today. And it's ok, but for zero dollars I'd say it's worth the price :v:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tor has the first act of Harrow the Ninth available for free.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Quinton posted:

I'm enjoying this but I think it might actually make the wait for the rest (due in August) even worse.

I'm not reading it for exactly this reason.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Subterranean Press is giving away the ebook of Greg Egan's Phoresis. No idea if it's any good, though I think Egan is generally well regarded, but hey, it's free.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Captain_Person posted:

Where is everyone getting the Harrowhawk teaser from?

https://publishing.tor.com/harrowtheninthactone-tamsynmuir/9781250774385/

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You can also just buy ARCs if you really want to. It's not a whole lot better than piracy as neither the author nor the publisher see anything from such sales, but you can assuage your guilt by also buying a copy of the book when it's actually released.

That said, an ARC of something like Harrow is going to cost you because everyone wants to read it early.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Regarding Sanderson: I consider him to be like going to McDonalds. You are not going to get a good burger, but it will be edible and taste the same every time. And since he writes so much, you can get as many of these burgers as you want. Some people love this, some don't, and since I'm not obligated to buy or read him I'm glad he's getting nerds to read, and hopefully opening them up to reading more/better fantasy.

Reading this ebook deal: I think it's crashing tor's servers, I cannot get mine without the website dying. Good job, Tor.

They're extending the offer through tomorrow due to high demand crushing their servers.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StrixNebulosa posted:

My brother's birthday is upcoming and while I have some gifts lined up for him, it never hurts to check: are there any cool books about dragons? And I mean: dragons as main characters, dragons as badasses, dragons as a central focus. He doesn't mind if they're evil, but he wants them to be cool alien-esque scaly winged badasses who influence the plot. One of his favorites is Deathwing from the warcraft universe, for an example.

General background: he doesn't read much but he has read both This Alien Shore by CS Friedman and Hyperion and he loved them both.

Of Bone and Thunder by Chris Evans might fit the bill.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I suspect navyjack meant on Twitter.

Wander over to the general discussion thread to find out.

Or don't, its kind of a shitshow.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think Norman is still alive, for what it's worth.

Also I read the first handful of Gor books and they start off as serviceable Burroughs pastiche that slowly cranks up the weird sex philosophy stuff.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 18, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

uber_stoat posted:

i was going to ask, it's been like over a year since I heard anything about it.

The common wisdom is to not get your hopes up until principal photography starts. Books and series are constantly being optioned; you can see how many actually get made.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I love Library Thing for cataloging purposes, but it lacks a lot of the social features GR has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That's a few steps beyond being a sex pest and well into predator territory.

Edit: Digging in a little deeper, and...it's probably not a clear cut as Rowland makes it sound? I dunno, there are a number of people refuting Rowland's claims. Here are a couple:

https://twitter.com/exaggerated/status/1276497203331293188

https://twitter.com/DevinLSinger/status/1276487429676040197

Doesn't really do anything to lessen Scott being a creeper, though.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 26, 2020