Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Diana Wynne Jones, at least, has not aged badly, for books I was into as a teen. And...Prydain, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MathMathCalculation posted:

On the subject of corporations platforming fascism for fun and profit, are any of the Brian Herbert Dune books at least readable?

Like, if I go in with fairly low expectations because I know they aren't going to live up to the originals, will I at least have a decent pulp fun time or will I just find Blade Runner 2?

They're really not

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I was a fan of the wheel of time ones, though they're not all actually dreams

Yeah they're best when it's actually some person messing with the protagonists head

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I liked the dream sequence-esque bits in Harrow the Ninth.

That could describe a very wide range of the book.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So I picked up "This is how you lose the time war" on the suggestion of this thread and finished reading it in one sitting, hours later. This book is incredible

I absolutely adored that book. I love epistolaries, as a rule.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Would you like to hear some poetry? Ahem,

*clears throat*

The last one of those was so, so amazing

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

DWJ's The Tough Guide to Fantasyland posits that what fantasy literature calls "horses" are, in fact, a form of motile plant:

She was so snarky.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ben Nevis posted:

I recall we'd talked a couple weeks ago about fantasy with gay male protags, and I just read one that was pretty good. White Trash Warlock by David Slayton is the first in a series. The main character is Adam Binder, a witch from Guthrie, OK who heads out to help his estranged brother. When he gets out to Denver the city has a giant malevolent spirit hanging over it. Obviously Adam needs to fix this. Slayton says he based the character on his own experiences growing up gay in Guthrie, OK. The main plot of this one wraps up, though there's obvious hooks for a sequel (due out in October). I found it to be good, very readable. I got through it faster than expected. I enjoyed the working class protagonist, and being set in Denver, felt like a pretty decent take on the urban fantasy.

Just want to quote this to say yeah, I'm enjoying it and it absolutely reads really quickly, I was shocked to see how far I'd gotten when I put it down.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

That owns and I'm glad to see more authors open up about being weird fanfic goblins.

I mean Taz Muir has made no secret of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I love those, and last call and drawing of the dark. Declare above the others though, especially because it's one of my favorite poker games too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Zaphiel posted:

Are there any "space trucker" books out there? A lone individual or maybe a very small crew with a cargo ship, traveling from planet to planet and having adventures? I've read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (although I'm not sure it would fit).

Have you read Tuf Vo...

wizzardstaff posted:

Absolutely, I've got a great recommendation for-
Ah. Well, nevertheless. Uh, how about GRRM's Tuf Voyaging?

...poo poo

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Wait wait, have you read Galaxy Trucker: Rocky Road, a book based on an excellent board game?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

They gave the game a background story? Neat.

I wonder if they could do the same thing with the characters and places from Through the Ages.

They did. I've not read it but hey it sure is about trucking in the galaxy!

I'd only accept a TTA book if it has Ancient Vlaada.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

silvergoose posted:

I love those, and last call and drawing of the dark. Declare above the others though, especially because it's one of my favorite poker games too.

Just noting that you're third, not second HMPH.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

This is really confusing, I assume you meant to quote me? Haha

I thought HMPH was an acronym.

Also yes, I am third. You are the better person.

No, I was quoting myself to dramatically prove my useless, useless point :v:

Zaphiel posted:

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations!

I downloaded the Galaxy Trucker app the other day which made me in the mood for a space trucker adventure, so it's funny that there's an actual Galaxy Trucker novel.

Okay, my suggestion is especially funny to me given this new information of why you were asking.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

pradmer posted:

Deathless by Catherynne M Valente - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H1TQGC/

I liked her Space Opera, how's this one?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

packetmantis, please stop hating on how other people choose to read things or listen to stuff.

SFL Archives 1996: GRRM's A Game of Thrones came out and has finally started getting mentioned.
So far it's been tolerable and amusing things like SFLer's of 1996 getting tripped up on whether to use the title vs book series name, and being super optimistic about GRRM being able to wrap up the Game of Thrones book trilogy. No one, not even the doomsayers who predicted the Wheel of Time series endless bloat has any idea of the lows and highs and lows the next 25+ yrs of GRRM's "writing" will bring them.

Other than that, the popularity of Xena Warrior Princess and the gasp *lesbian friendly* overtones in it are confusing some people. Haven't seen the chud who hated on Octavia Butler commenting on Xena yet, but have seen what appears to be David Mitchell, the future semi-notable SFF author, critiquing how terribly put together (and written) Neal Stephenson's DIAMOND AGE is.

:bisonyes:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sisters of the Vast Black by Lina Rather is a novella about a living starship full of nuns

this one is super weird and kind of fascinating

The novella part is key; I think it might have worn out its welcome if it was twice the length, but I'm gravitating more and more towards novellas. Some of the ideas I've been reading feel like they don't hold up to long novels.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

pradmer posted:

The Fifth Season (Broken Earth #1) by NK Jemisin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H25FCSQ/

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K Le Guin - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087X6Z1GS/

Space Opera by Catherynne M Valente - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ZJQT6P/

Some Night Watch series books by Sergei Lukyanenko - $1.99/$1.99/$2.99
Night Watch (#1) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB3FSNW/
Twilight Watch (#3) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB3FT2C/
The Last Watch (#4) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011UCOU2/

somehow I've actually read almost all of this list??

Night Watch was weirdly readable, it feels very russian. Vampires.

Space Opera is only recommended if you *really* like Eurovision.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

I don't imagine actors/actual people any more when reading. I definitely did when I was a kid/teenager, but at some point in my imagination, characters started becoming.. more abstractly visualized? I get kind of an idea of a face, their clothing, etc. Hard to describe.

I kinda blip over direct visual descriptions of people a lot of the time; just doesn't make me form an image in my mind, even the usual "hair color and shape, height, coloring, eye color" just goes in one eye and out...the...okay what's the "in one ear and out the other" phrase for reading

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Khizan posted:

I'm in my 30's and I still want my own daemon.

Yep

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

There's a few Diana Wynne Jones books that might qualify? There's very often a central area with a caretaker figure, with adventures happening all around but always back home for a meal or whatever. Archer's Goon, say.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

There's nine posts about it in the last year, seven of which started yesterday i.e. the current conversation.

What's your definition of "pushed"? I've not been following this thread all that long, so perhaps I'm missing some historical perspective...

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 9, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I always recommend Diane Duane and Diana Wynne Jones for the genre of wizard school kind of stuff.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's the funniest poo poo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

pradmer posted:

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K Le Guin - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087X6Z1GS/

A Deadly Education (Scholomance #1) by Naomi Novik - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083RZC8KQ
I'm brand new to Novik. Is this a good one?

The Eon Series: Legacy, Eon, and Eternity by Greg Bear - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YMZ3RT/

I quite enjoyed ADE, and thought it was much stronger than the Napoleonic dragon books.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lives of Christopher Chant and Homeward Bounders, for some classic Diana Wynne Jones.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh my god

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

EdBlackadder posted:

A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik £0.99 UK Kindle daily deal. No idea if it's any good.

I quite liked it!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Zore posted:

Ah, there's gonna be a sequel? That makes everything make a lot more sense. I thought it was a duology.

Amazon had listed it as a duology at one point but yeah I heard it was to be a trilogy. Maybe I'll wait for the third one before reading the second, it does not sound like I will enjoy the ending :\

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cardiac posted:

Christopher Tolkien can go gently caress himself.

Coulda shortened it to this

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Changeable setting on the library side, you mean?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

a friendly penguin posted:

Nope, changeable by each individual reader at each individual checkout: https://help.libbyapp.com/en-us/6008.htm

But I guess it's possible the library has limited these options. I've never seen a library do that but possible.

Oh!! Interesting. One of my libraries restricts to 7 and 14, the other allows 7 14 21. Bizarre.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Should we split off commonweal chat into its own thread? Genuine question

as someone who knows nothing about the series and probably won't read it, no, imo. I like hearing about books.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Thankfully that pattern dies down a bit.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dogsbody, like so much DWJ, is just lovely.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

I read so much DWJ when I was a kid, it was the main “fantasy” series in the local library children’s section. The adult section was mostly Mercedes Lackey IIRC.

To this day I can’t help feeling that “Chrestomanci the Enchanter” is a more impressive wizard name than any number of Elminsters or Dumbledores.

I still reread them when I want a quick treat. Hexwood and Archer's Goon are perennial favorites.

Agree with you on the name, even when he appears in a dressing gown looking befuddled.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Agreed, I'd specifically start with Howl's Moving Castle though.

Dark Lord of Derkholm is also great but let her read all the other suggested books first then pop that one out for a birthday or next Christmas.

Howl's on the more whimsical side of DWJ, which may or may not be the best start. Charmed Life and the other Chrestomanci are great starts, and Homeward Bounders.

But also literally anything by her.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I've mentioned before, but the cat wizard spinoffs from Young Wizards are fantastic. The Book of Night with Moon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Collateral posted:

I guess Roald Dahl is out then.

Witches honestly was really scary, but it was Charlie that really gave me nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Told my daughter I was going to stop the current book I was reading because I wasn't enjoying it very much and read the Enchanted Forest books instead and she was pingponging off the walls at the prospect of being able to discuss them with me :kimchi:

That's really awesome, and feel free to share her reactions to your discussions, I remember loving those books as a kid and then again as a teen.