Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
I couldn't get through the first chapter of the first book but you all are making me think about trying again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

algebra testes posted:

That and I found the 17 characters indistinguishable but that's a ME thing and I knew who the important ones were so it was fine.
nah that's definitely a "the book" thing

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
or instead of voiceover murderbot could constantly speak in asides to the viewer like Richard III

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
I quit Authority in disgust when a computer under a desk was described as a "hard drive" pretty early on. I just couldn't take it

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
i would have had no problem at all if a character said it, or if it was a narrator with a character voice

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Mustang posted:

Are there authors out there that are similar to Gene Wolfe?

Too Like the Lightning and its sequels by Ada Palmer were heavily inspired by Wolfe in a lot of ways. She also wrote the introduction to one of the newer editions of Book of the New Sun.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Mikojan posted:

I got recommended Ender's Game by a friend. I checked it out and apparently it's a series as well so unsure where to start.

Or if it's even worth it.

you would start with the book "Ender's Game".
i think you might even like it if you're older than 13. the first sequel, Speaker For The Dead, is also not like, AWFUL. many of the other sequels are awful though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

Suggestions for good book club fare, on the lighter (or shorter) side? In terms of the genre we've read How to Lose a Time War and the Ted Chiang short stories in addition to Dune but I think the last one only flew because of the movie.

Pondering Piranesi or Circe but I've read both already so I feel more on the hook if people hate 'em. Piranesi I adored but might be a little too slight in terms of narrative, too. Next on my personal list is Spear Cuts Through Water, which looks pretty intimidating sell. Especially given we just barely got through Yiddish Policeman's Union with a record number of DNFs, I'm trying to find something way less dense.

Oh, Raven Tower feels like a good option...

if you want light, how about pratchett? people were just posting about Small Gods, which i think is the best discworld