Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I ventured in here for recommendations since Rhythm on War is on a slow drip feed, Dawnshards is still being written and Will Wight doesn't look like he'll be releasing Wintersteel until late September (despite having recently finished his third draft), but I only got as far as this exchange:

Sibling of TB posted:

I have never read a book before where about half way through I decided that I hated all the characters and wanted to see bad stuff happen to them. Any other books like that?

wizzardstaff posted:

The Blending by Sharon Green.

A five-book series that features five protagonists each specializing in a different element of magic. They are brought together from the corners of The Empire to compete in a tournament to crown the next heads of state. The tournament is a Captain Planet cage match in which teams of five coordinate their powers to summon a combined entity. The main antagonists are a team of nobles hand-picked for succession, and you know they're evil because they do BDSM. Meanwhile, in between arena battles the protagonists are forced into a communal living situation which provides no end of soap opera drama and sexual tension. Eventually they sleep together in all possible heterosexual combinations because it strengthens their bonds as teammates; homosexual pairings aren't necessary because they "love each other like siblings".

Oh, and the first two books are actually 1/5 the printed length because they cover the characters individually going through solo trials which are beat-by-beat identical to each other, to the point where it feels like the chapters are copied and pasted with the names changed.

I hate these books and also can't put them down. I have read them three times. I have considered a chapter-by-chapter hate-read but that just seems spiteful.

jng2058 posted:

Do it! Give in to your hate and it will make you stronger!

StrixNebulosa posted:

You know there's a sequel series, right? Please hate-read these to us, I own all five and never finished them and I'd like to know what happens.

wizzardstaff posted:

I've never read the sequel series but it's why I reread the first five so many times. I'd think, "Man, I'm really curious how those sequels went but I should refresh myself on the originals first. It's light reading, it should go fast." And then by the time I'm done I just want to throw the books in a fire.

If people would be entertained by it I could start a thread in a month or so when I have more time.

jng2058 posted:

I would be entertained by this, yes. :tipshat:

Proteus Jones posted:

Count me in on being entertained by watching a slow melt-down Let's Read ending with incoherent posts composed while in the grip of a frothing rage.

I confess that I actually own all eight Blending universe books and re-read them a lot despite their dumpster fire worthiness because for some inexplicable reason they have a weird appeal. Before finding this thread, I had begun analyzing the books to figure out why the world building concepts are appealing despite the horrible execution and whether the books could be fixed (and how they might be fixed). Since there appears to be demand and I couldn't find a thread from wizzardstaff, I've started a let's read thread here for anyone interested:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935822

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

wizzardstaff posted:

Thank you! This has been on the back of my mind for months and I even started writing out posts for the first few chapters, but with the state of the world I just couldn't commit. I am gonna be following this thread with massive interest.

Come on over and post what you've drafted!! It's so gloriously bad yet popular enough that a lot of people seem to have read it but apart from the odd review on Goodreads or Amazon, there's no real discussion of it on the internet. We can fix that!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
In the latest GRRM news, his attempts to build a castle are foiled again:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8711007/amp/Game-Thrones-author-George-R-R-Martin-wants-build-fantasy-castle-backyard.html

:stare: Those plans!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

XBenedict posted:

Maybe your taste is just poor :smugbert:

Can confirm Cradle is actually good! I am so very psyched for Wintersteel.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

StrixNebulosa posted:

Janny Wurts' To Ride Hell's Chasm is standalone!

Seconding this one!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I JUST binged through all of Wintersteel and oh boy were there payoffs. MASSIVE payoffs. So much stuff happens in this book.

Seriously do not mouse over the spoilers unless you've finished:

We finally learn the name of Eithan's Path. Everyone advances! Wight massively both works in fan theories, memes and gags AND upsets them. Eithan is an Archlord, Yerin gives up being a Sage to fuse with her Blood Shadow and Lindon manifests the Void Icon and ends up with a Wintersteel Unsouled badge. Eithan fixes Ziel and he is hired on and recruited to the cause. Yerin is the Uncrowned King and kills Seshethkunaaz with Penance. Fury advances to Monarch. and Orthos and Kelsa are about to tear through Heaven's Glory with Jai Long and Jai Chen's aid just as the Wandering Titan is rising.

I need Cradle 9 ASAP and it's literally been 20 minutes since I finished reading.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

I do not envy Will attempting to top this one in the next book.

Well remember how we all thought that way with Ghostwater and then Underlord came out?

Yeah, I'm hella looking forward to Bloodline. I might even go so far as to pause my Stormlight reread to go reread Wintersteel immediately.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Wintersteel >>> Ghostwater > Blackflame > Soulsmith > Underlord = Uncrowned > Skysworn = Unsouled.

Ohhhhhh this is very hard for me, I think I'm Wintersteel > Underlord > Ghostwater > Blackflame > Unsouled > Uncrowned = Skysworn

The character revelations always hit me pretty hard and Wight did a very good job in Wintersteel with that.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I just finished the first Baru and everybody should read Baru. Well done General Battuta.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

buffalo all day posted:

The Folding Knife - selfcontained and on the optimistic side of his work.

I went to look at this on Amazon and it's on sale - $1.99:
https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Knife-K-J-Parker-ebook/dp/B0035IICZO/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=the+folding+knife&qid=1603850969&sr=8-26

Guess that's my reading while I'm waiting for Dawnshard to drop.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I have just finished Baru 2 and can I just say that I so appreciate the reference to Benford's Law, I laughed because I remember spending days of poring over spreadsheets and dashboards doing the same analysis as an auditor.

Also I want to say that I enjoyed the book a lot, and didn't feel like I had Book 2 syndrome or anything. But then I also liked Well of Ascension and even most Sanderson fans hate that one so :shrug: maybe I just like books.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

pradmer posted:

The Black Prism (Lightbringer #1) by Brent Weeks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JTHY76/

Thank you!! I've been waiting to get into this series.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

buffalo all day posted:

The Folding Knife - selfcontained and on the optimistic side of his work.

Bought this on sale when it was recommended earlier in the thread but I've been putting off reading it because...reasons. Anyway, I decided I would finish it before 2020 and...

Ccs posted:

Yeesh, it's a grim book at the end.

This about sums it up. I'm not sure KJ Parker is for me if The Folding Knife is on the optimistic side of his work. That said, I immediately googled around after finishing it and found one of the KJ Parker short stories referenced through the Tor reread: One Little Room an Everywhere (original link is dead so only available on Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20161127092524/http://www.nightshadebooks.com/2012/10/22/one-little-room-an-everywhere-k-j-parker/)

To my surprise, I enjoyed this short story a lot more than I enjoyed The Folding Knife itself. Maybe I'll try Academic Exercises later. Something funky is going on with Amazon's pricing though, because the hardcover is listed on Amazon.com.au for $2,386.99 :wtf:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just finished the first book in Brent Weeks' Lightbringer and feeling a craving to immediately binge the other 4. I'm such a sucker for unreliable narrators and plot twists.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Patrick Spens posted:

If you do, please post your feelings about the resolution.

Give me a few weeks, the books are on their way from the library.

So far, the main draw is really the conflict between Gavin/Dazen, plus whatever the hell is going on with Koios and the magic system mysteries. I'm basically glazing over the Joss Whedonesque brand of "feminism" manifest in the form of Karris and hating everything in Kip's chapters because of all the boob stuff.

A Strong Female Character who learned to Fight post Rape Fighting in a Torn Sexy Dress TM through Period Pain is... a really good way of declaring both his sexism and his obliviousness to it.

Edit: Also calling it now the white luxin knife Kip's mother left him is the title Blinding Knife, so called because it can steal colors from a drafter. Dazen being the super genius superchromat is gonna lose all of the known spectrum by being repeatedly stabbed with it, forcing him to figure out how to use the mythical Outer Spectrum of white, black and those other two things in the appendices with weird spelling, because he's already done it once on screen trying to hold the gate at Garriston.

Leng fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 3, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Alright, just finished The Blinding Knife. Brent Weeks pretty much went where I thought he would go with the plot and magic system payoffs, though I didn't expect to get a paryl drafter POV so quickly, nor for Dazen to actually kill off his brother (I was thinking he would be released to do some actual Prism work)..

The awful Joss Whedonesque stuff continues. Literally every male character can't seem to resist commenting on boobs and nipples in every interaction with a female character. The section he wrote with the Blackguard Archers giving the female trainees The Talk was :barf:. Also he needs some better beta readers to tell him women do not freaking think the way he seems to think we do. Liv's POVs were hell to read in particular.

This book felt like a wrap up of the loose ends from Book 1 to gear up for a big finale in Book 3, but I can definitely see why he ended up going to 5 books. Still lots of unanswered questions.

Edit: also putting Magic: The Gathering in the universe and having a whole subplot around it made me :rolleyes: the minute it came up.

Leng fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 4, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Alright, I've now finished The Broken Eye (#3) and The Blood Mirror (#4) in Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series.

#3 was an improvement on #2 and #1 with much less "breasting boobily over with nipples" going on, but I feel like it's a function of the scenes/characters shown, rather than any actual improvement in the author. The plot payoffs were good and solidly foreshadowed.

#4 is better written than all of the previous books in terms of prose and pacing, does some heavy world building expansion and has the mother of all payoffs for unreliable narrators - though I'm still working through my reaction on that one, mostly because I feel like he's either right on or crossed the line for the number of plot twists.

The worst part of it is the horribly cringey subplot with Kip/Tisis (I had serial actual :wtf: moments) because I fail to see any good reason whatsoever to have this be a key part of the story he was trying to tell. Seriously Weeks, what the actual gently caress. Yes it's a real condition but why are YOU an appropriate person to tell stories about it?

Going into #5 with the expectation that Dazen better be drafting some white luxin and sacrificing his life for the entire world to save everyone and I will be pretty pissed if that doesn't happen.

And when I finish these books, I do not think I will be inclined to read anything else by Brent Weeks again. I enjoy the world building and the plot generally but it's not worth the misogynistic slog through the cringefest of sex related scenes/plots. :stare:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Leng posted:

Going into #5 with the expectation that Dazen better be drafting some white luxin and sacrificing his life for the entire world to save everyone and I will be pretty pissed if that doesn't happen.

And when I finish these books, I do not think I will be inclined to read anything else by Brent Weeks again. I enjoy the world building and the plot generally but it's not worth the misogynistic slog through the cringefest of sex related scenes/plots. :stare:

Have now finished #5 The Burning White and while Dazen did do what I expect it was all undermined by Orholam actually appearing and being part of the action in getting Dazen back to the Chromeria and then also arbitrarily reversing all of the consequences of the decisions that were made. It was an absolute "God did it" thing - like why does Dazen get to be healed of everything, Kip gets resurrected but Cruxer gets to stay dead? - that was completely unsatisfying.

The plot twists and unreliable narrator stuff was taken to the extreme where Book 5 has massive infodumps that the characters don't figure out for themselves. It wasn't wholly unsatisfying, because there was foreshadowing in place so I as a reader caught them, but it then meant that having it all fully explained on the page from one character to another meant that I was annoyed at the repetition and also at the characters being told instead of making the discovery for themselves.

All in all, I think the series could definitely have been a trilogy instead of five books. There's so much fat in the scenes, the storylines, some of the characters that it could have been trimmed down significantly.

Yeah I don't think I'll be going out of my way to recommend Weeks to people, and particularly not his earlier work if this is the quality of his later stuff (by most accounts, the Night Angel trilogy has the same weird sexist stuff in it too and is more poorly written).

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking by T Kingfisher (Ursula Vernon) is on sale for $0.99 - has anyone read this? I'm feeling in need of something a little more lighthearted and appropriately iso-themed.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

ToxicFrog posted:

Fun, lighthearted-ish, features carnivorous sourdough starter. Would recommend.

Selachian posted:

Seconded. There are a few grim moments but it's pretty amusing.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Thirded because a girl is the main character and there's no actual romance, just really good adventure.

Bought it and devoured :v: it last night, it is indeed a very fun book and I would love to have a tiny gingerbread familiar.

A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking is still on sale for $0.99:
https://www.amazon.com/Wizards-Guide-Defensive-Baking-ebook/dp/B08CJ86Y1W/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I tried Brent Weeks Night Angel because I like Sanderson, but that book is incredibly cringe, I dunno how else to describe it.

Stay away from Lightbringer and any further Brent Weeks.

Cicero posted:

Not sci fi, but Brian McClellan and Will Wight are solid if you like Sanderson's stuff.

This here is good advice if you're a Sanderson fan. Brian McClellan's writing of female characters wasn't great but at least he never goes near cringe territory unlike Weeks.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

pradmer posted:

Jade City (Green Bone Saga #1) by Fonda Lee - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCBRX8/

Some Amazon discount fairy must be listening! Guess that's what I'm reading next.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Ccs posted:

All the books that have been finalists in Mark Lawrence’s Self Published Fantasy Blog Off are on sale for 99 cents today. I’m currently reading the one that got the highest rank ever from the bloggers, The Sword of Kaigen. I have some thoughts on this book I might have to share soon...

https://mlwangbooks.com/spfbo-finalist-super-sale/

Will Wight said good things about Alec Hutson's The Crimson Queen - has anyone read it?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, has anyone read any of these?

https://twitter.com/orbitbooks/status/1351605785743261703

I might be looking for more books to throw into the pile...

I haven't read that particular work of Trudi Carnavan but I've read both her Magician's Guild trilogy, Age of the Five series and the Traitor series that follows on from the Magician's Guild (plus the Magician's Apprentice, the prequel). She writes good and if I hadn't already spent my book budget this month I would buy that.

Edit:

Queer Salutations posted:

In one of Trudi Canavans first books a teen at magic school is raped, convicted of doing dark magic with her rapist (aka the headmaster of the school), and exiled from her home alongside her rapist. I read a summary of future books and she ends up staying with him and having his kid who I think is the protagonist of the one pictured... so I'd say skip that her books.

Sonea was the one to initiate that relationship honestly, Akkarin was trying to stay away from it entirely because he had concerns about the age difference plus also power disparity which evaporated when they were both exiled, which again was Sonea's choice entirely. where did you get the rape from?

Leng fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 19, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just finished Fonda Lee's Jade City and not really sure of my reaction.

As an Asian, I appreciated the authenticity of the world building and it's nice to see that kind of representation done well beyond what most generic Asian inspired fantasy nations are like.

Solidly executed first novel, though I don't know that I'd rate it in that top 10/100 list that came out last year. I don't immediately feel the need to grab the already published sequel in the way that I did after finishing the first Baru.

I kind of hate the fact that I felt more of a need to binge Lightbringer even though Brent Weeks is terrible. And then I resent the fact that I don't love Jade City because I feel like I should. It's just okay?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Ccs posted:

People say the fourth really drags, and since I’ve forgotten everything that’s going on with the characters I don’t think I could pick up the series again.

My favourite Sanderson is his novella The Emperors Soul.

Everybody loves the Emperor's Soul!

Rhythm of War has been divisive for the fanbase generally.

Most in the Sanderson thread (myself included) thought it was weaker than the other entries, mainly because a giant chunk of the book (Venli's flashbacks) felt like it was retreading old territory. There were still plenty of jaw droppers for Cosmere fans–I spent most of the book going holy crap, HOLY CRAP, HOLY loving poo poo at every Cosmere reveal–but just judging the novels on the writing, for me, the best character moments were all in the first part of the story. There was no equivalent emotional payoff to the climax in Way of Kings, or Words of Radiance or Oathbringer (well okay there is one moment that is clearly meant to be but it was anti-climactic for me because it was so heavily foreshadowed in the previous books that when I read it, I was borderline like :rolleyes: FINALLY WE CAN MOVE ON).

If you go to Reddit or the 17th Shard/Shardcast though, you'll get loads of people who loved Rhythm of War, including the Venli flashbacks, and thought it was the best written book in the series. :shrug:

General Battuta posted:

I just–and I swear this is the only remotely sour thing I'm going to say, dude basically pays for my advances–I just can't get over the paladin named Kaladin

Kaladin's original name was Merin :v:

Pennsylvanian posted:

Kept hearing about Brandon Sanderson for years, so I picked up Way of Kings because it was a series-starter and on the top of the list when I searched for him. I really liked it. It's the first fantasy book I've finished in about ten years.

Come join us in the Sanderson thread! Mordiceius has been posting his first-time Sanderson reactions while reading Mistborn and we've all been :allears:.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm mostly wondering, should I try Black Prism again some other time? I didn't strongly dislike it or anything, nor did I give it near enough time to be fair to it, it just wasn't what I wanted at the time. It seems to be very popular. And I am typically unapologetically all for high/epic fantasy when the mood strikes me.

I posted like 20 pages back about each book because I just read these myself. The TL;DR:

The Black Prism is overall good, minus the author's need to have women boobily boobing everywhere.

The Blinding Knife was also fine but has an obvious cliffhanger.

The Broken Eye starts going off the rails. The Blood Mirror was :doh: and then The Burning White was just :fuckoff: Weeks that's a dumpster fire of an ending. I was so pissed off at the end that I'm glad I only bought the first book and borrowed the rest from the library and I still felt ripped off.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

pradmer posted:

The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RTKITG/

This is the standalone prequel to the Black Magician trilogy. I like it quite a bit, it goes into the founding of the Guild, you discover more about Sachaka and what caused the wasteland. A lot of similarities between Tessia and Sonea but the characters feel distinct enough that I wasn't bothered by it. Recommend if you like Canavan's other stuff.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

pradmer posted:

Daughter of the Empire (Empire Trilogy #1) by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TJH5XR/

Evil Fluffy posted:

This trilogy is real good, even if you aren't a fan of the Riftwar Cycle in general.

The Empire Trilogy is amazing. I never finished the Riftwar Saga (I can't even remember which book I tapped out on) but I reread the Empire Trilogy time and time again. Strong female protagonist (and not in the Strong Female Character type of way), lots of very well done political intrigue, beautiful worldbuilding and Janny Wurtz prose (though it's toned down from how she would normally write since it's a collaboration with Feist).

If you like the Empire Trilogy, then you should also try Wurtz's Wars of Light and Shadow, which is a massive epic (11 books total, 10 published) that's equally worth reading and has more of Wurtz's flowery prose. I love reading her work but it's dense so despite how fast I read, I'm actually two published books behind (I think I actually read Initiate's Trial but had baby brain so remember none of it) and I need to do an entire series reread before Song of the Mysteries comes out. A crap load of stuff must have happened in Destiny's Conflict because up until Initiate's Trial I was still super confused as to how she planned to have the whole thing wrapped up in two more books.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Urcher posted:

Try the Mortal Instruments books. Some of the major side characters are werewolves, some of the major side characters are queer. I can't remember if there are queer werewolves. These books are trashy fun, reminded a bit of Buffy, and I would have them enjoyed them a lot more when I was younger (i.e. back when Buffy came out). Warning: contains a lot of sarcastic teen-agers delivering sarcastic one liners.

Apparently it got turned into a TV show. I didn't know that until I did some googling to try to remember the name if the series.

Can vouch for this, it's my go to trashy read. Yes there are queer werewolves, but not really in the Mortal Instruments series (they show up in the other series).

I've read all the other books in the Shadowhunters universe by Clare as well. My advice would be to steer clear of her coauthored stuff because there's a noticeable drop in quality (The Shadowhunters Academy was ok, but you really notice it in The Eldest Curses) and stuff feels like it starts getting repetitive. The Clockwork series was decent, as was the Dark Artifices, but the current Chain of Gold etc one I'm extremely meh about.

On the TV series adaptation, it takes a lot more liberty with the source material compared to the movie adaptation of the first book. The movie is basically true to the book.

I have watched some of the episodes (all of Season 1 I think which is up to when Jace joins Valentine). There's quite a bit of divergence in Alec's storyline (and Simon's too) with new characters introduced. There were some bits where I burst out laughing at how bad the screen play was.

It got cancelled after Season 2 I think. Shame because I think it was making some waves in terms of LGBTQIA representation on screen (Harry Shum Jr was cast as Magnus Bane and I'm still not sure how I feel about that, mainly because I think the guy who played the character in the movie was better).

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

pradmer posted:

Will Wight's Elder Empire books are all free. He writes it so the trilogies follow the same events for each book but from a different side of the conflict.
Of Sea and Shadow (Sea #1) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RE55XXS/
Of Dawn and Darkness (Sea #2) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01915038I/
Of Kings and Killers (Sea #3) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087N5RV2X/
Of Shadow and Sea (Shadow #1) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RE68P8C/
Of Darkness and Dawn (Shadow #2) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013Q4KQZA/
Of Killers and Kings (Shadow #3) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087N4L8JW/

Have read all of these and they're the most "traditional fantasy" that Wight has published. It's not progression fantasy at all and the world building is really nice. Also it's basically ninjas vs pirates.

If you've never given his stuff a try, you should!

Edit: it doesn't matter which series you start with though there's a definite general bias to liking the one you started with more than the other. In my opinion, :ninja: wins.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

:psypop:

Trigger warning next time please, I couldn't scroll away fast enough.

EDIT: to contribute, my reserves finally came in at the library, so I've picked up Parker's Sixteen ways to defend a walled city, City of Stairs, The Unspoken Name and Jade War. And I just pre-ordered the latest Cradle (#9, Bloodline) on Amazon.

Leng fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 23, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Finished Sixteen Ways to Defend a City and really enjoyed it. I loved the voice of the unreliable narrator; it is so good to see first person done well. I liked it much better than The Folding Knife. If I see a chance to pick up Academic Exercises, I definitely will now.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Aardvark! posted:

Can I get some fantasy recommendations, particularly epic/high fantasy, and series that are already complete?

<snip>

Mistborn
ASOIAF, lol
the Cradle series

Mistborn Era 1 is complete, and Sanderson is working on the last volume in Mistborn Era 2 right now, which is more awesome.

Cradle is 9 books out of 12 complete. 9 just came out 2 weeks ago so Wight hasn't decided if he's writing 10/11/12 in one shot next, or alternating with a new series. He releases a new book every 6 months, so it could be complete in the next 18 months.

ASOIAF hahahaha

Malazan is complete. Erikson puts his characters through really awful stuff so if you like Hobb and don't mind zero things being explained to you as a reader, then it may be for you. Warning for sexual violence though.

Also Ian Irvine's Well of Echoes is complete.

Edit: And on the YA side of things, Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy was solid. Do not read the short story collection, the prequel Clariel or the Golden Hand sequel though, they were really not up to par.

Edit Edit: vvvvv I reading good, that will teach me for excitably phone posting. Sorry!

Leng fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 17, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

High Warlord Zog posted:

JV Jones's The Barbed Coil and Janny Wurts's To Ride Hell's Chasm are really fun standalone heroic fantasies.

Oh man how did I forget JV Jones and Janny Wurtz?

Wurtz is working on the last book in the Wars of Light and Shadow series, which is epic in every sense. It's also very tragic and while slaughter, evil cults, etc abound it at least doesn't resort to sexual violence for shock value. So by the time you get through it, the last book will be imminent, probably.

JV Jones has another series Sword of Shadows that I enjoyed a lot more than The Barbed Coil. She's also working on the final volume, Endlords, after a long hiatus. I'm eagerly awaiting for its release.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just finished Jade War. Again, not really sure how I feel about it. I think my main reaction is that it feels a little too real, if that makes any sense. I read fantasy for escapism, and what I get in Jade City and Jade War is the whole experience of growing up Asian in a post colonialism setting and it is way too real.

It's quite tightly plotted and it's an improvement over Jade City in terms of how exposition happens, though I'm not a huge fan of the prose for a two main reasons: switches from third limited to third omniscient and the rhythm/pacing of the prose is always the same, regardless of what's happening in the scene.

Some of the plot twists were quite good and character driven (Shae dueling Ayt Madashi) while others were wtf why (Bero still being alive seriously) and still others somewhere in the middle where you can see how it's intended to be character driven but it was really off-putting (Hilo straight up murdering his dead brother's ex-wife and kidnapping their kid).

If you like an alt universe urban fantasy that's basically the Yakuza vs the Mafia vs various governments with a very simple magic system then you'll probably like this.

I prefer my fantasy to be more epic.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

If you ever thought, "I wish there was something like Cradle, but a little more YA and also not as good," you're in luck: Mage Errant #5 is out today, and 1 - 4 are currently free - https://www.amazon.com/Mage-Errant/dp/B07PHPLHX5

Thank you for posting this. I just finished the first one and enjoyed. Will probably power through the next 3 in short order and then buy book #5.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

quantumfoam posted:

TSR pulled the same tactics as 2020 Disney back in the 1980s & 1990s with their book publishing line. Which explains why the Deathgate & the Darksword & the Star of the Guardians & the Rose of the Prophet series exist.

Wait what, can I hear more about this?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

nessin posted:

Is there a good (edit: or really just any) re-imaginging of Journey to the West? I'm not looking for one of the actual translations but an entertaining remake of it.

Counterpoint: learn Cantonese!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1459024/

I watched this as a kid with my parents who videotaped all of the episodes in VHS and it was the best thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just finished City of Stairs. Thanks to whoever recommended it, I enjoyed it! The plot twists were well foreshadowed and it was fun trying to work out the mystery. I'm not entirely sure I buy the ending, but I had fun reading.