Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I really enjoyed M.R. Carey's TheGirl With All The Gifts, so I'm pretty excited about the newly announced post-apocolyptic series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Have you read The Boy on the Bridge? I was actually kind of lukewarm on Girl for most of the book, but ended up enjoying it well enough, so I'm curious how the second book stands up.

And anybody read Fellside or Someone Like Me? I generally like, but not love, Mike Carey's books so I'm curious about them, but not enough to just dive in without a recommendation.

IDK about Bridge. I have it on my list, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I think it's a prequel to Girl?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Does anyone have suggestions of books similar to The Lies of Locke Lamora? I'm not sure what about it, maybe it's just the heist aspect because I also liked the Great Train Robbery.

The other Gentleman Bastards books?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's one of the few you can say PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE THIS BY THE COVER because for some reason the first few covers look like some weird romance novel, when it's really not.

Too late

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Ben Nevis posted:

The consequences of elf banging does seem to be a pretty big plot point.

New thread title.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Philthy posted:

Picked up the first two Murderbot books. Holy moly. Both look to be about 100 pages, if that. One was softbound for $15, and the other hardcover for $16.

WTF.

Quality over quantity.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is it just me, or does it seem like all the really interesting new books are being written in SF, not fantasy?

The last new-release (non-urban) fantasy novel I can remember being genuinely excited by was either Lies of Locke Lamora or Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and both of those are like fifteen years old now. It feels like since Gaiman went commercial and Pratchett got formulaic there's just not much new happening in the genre.

In contrast with SF every few years something I hadn't expected seems to take me by surprise, like Murderbot.

Fantasy as a genre gets a bit much of a muchness. What kind of elves are there left to create?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

freebooter posted:

people who listen to podcasts at double speed.

I listen to audiobooks and podcasts at double speed. After you listen for a few minutes, your brain syncs up just fine.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Glen Mazarra is set to adapt Michael Moorcocks Elric Saga for television.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I got half way through the first murderbot novella and, despite how short it is, I don't know if I'm going to finish it. It feels like the entire thing is just "look at how QUIRKY the main character is!"

That's hate speech. MODS

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Philthy posted:

Amazon AI just sent me a $5 gift certificate to buy Heretics of Dune that expires in 7 days because it noticed I stopped reading the series at God Emperor.

Nice try but I'm not falling for it!!!

Clearly Amazon AI hasn't read God Emperor. Still, book series is actually a useful application of that type of thing. I've read so many book series that I often don't know when a new book in the series comes out.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Also started reading Blake Crouch's Recursion and I'm digging it. It is a lot like Dark Matter where the story starts at a slow burn but by halfway it has started hurtling down the tracks.
Excellent. I’ve been looking forward to that. I was pretty happy with all the mind fuckery in the Wayward Pines books.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

This is cool and good. Very much so.

On a similar note, the Hugo’s will be a fuckjam this year when the Puppies inevitably throw up a slate of terfs off the back of this whole kerfuffle.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

When I read Illuminatus I recall Hagbard Celine coming off as a "not someone to emulate" type but maybe I was just projecting my own beliefs :shrug:

It's a fun read regardless and not just straight up Rand-style right wing apologetics at least!

I have no idea how they’re going to make the TV series work.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

Are there any worthwhile Star Wars books outside the Thrawn Trilogy? I'm looking for some light reading right now.

If you’re a SW nerd they all have something worthwhile about them, no matter how poorly written. Except “Red Harvest”. Do not read that book or you will lose your will to live.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

I dunno, recommend me good climate change fiction please? I'll probably finish this but I had hoped to like it a lot more :(

New York 2140 was decent, but then a lot of KSR's book revolve around the climate somehow, so you can dig through his catalogue. Oryx and Crake is really good.

Outside of the Sci-Fi realm, The Water Knife is also really good.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

Take care, General B. Hope things look up soon.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

The Tor.com and NPR scifi+ fantasy book rec's in the OP are beyond stale. Send me links to anything newer and I'll update the OP.

Had no idea that kindofbook.com + https://www.bookbub.com/ existed, will be add them to OP too.

I’ve bought a lot of books from the Bookbub email. I’ve been subscribed for several years. It’s decent. There is a fair share of self published Amazon drek, but there is a lot of good stuff too.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Jedit posted:

Turtledove wrote a seven book series that was basically "what if both World Wars, but we're the Nazis and we're exterminating blacks?" He doesn't do nuance.

God drat that's a good series.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

pradmer posted:

First three books from the Magic 2.0 series by Scott Meyer - $0.99 each
Off to Be the Wizard - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EF8Z32I/
Spell or High Water - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVF7OJM/
An Unwelcome Quest - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MRADM1K/

Looks like lighthearted humor fantasy. Usually I'd assume they're probably terrible, but other mentions on SA are surprisingly positive.

Not necessarily well written, but a light fun read anyway.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

I also adore big dumb object stories. What's your favorite (and everyone else's too)?

I liked Sleeping Giants. Also Ringworld, and obviouslythe Rama books.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

That's... not obvious. At all. Like, all of them?

Well, the first two anyway. Yes. I liked Rama II

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Childhood's End is such a bitter-sweet, beautiful book full of despair and hope.

Please read it if you haven't yet.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Dennis Taylor's "Bobiverse" books are fun distractions if you don't care about the premise being a lot more serious than the execution.

The series is basically "What if Von Neumann Probe, but with a (smartass) human intelligence driving it?"

I just finished the first Bobiverse book. It's a decent read. Parts of it feel a little "copy/pasted" in places, but it's an interesting read. Do the other books develop any more, or is it just more of the same?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

He also wrote the most boomer-brained screed about how Greta Thunberg was a petulant child with not a single shred of real science after she addressed the UN, and how worthless he thought all the left-leaning-adults (lol what an oxymoron!!!!) were for "genuflecting" to her adolescent temper tantrum over how we're destroying the planet. Dude is a full-on rear end in a top hat.

Best reacc.

https://twitter.com/raw_writing/status/1176968886211743746?s=21

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Maggie Shen King’s excellent An Excess Male is $.99 on Amazon.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

Today would have been Harry Harrison's 95th birthday. RIP creator of the 'Soylent Green is people' meme.
Most of his work aged pretty well which is rare for scifi.

There is a very warm spot in my heart for the adventures of "Slippery Jim" diGriz.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Im looking forward to the Binti adaptation.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

one of the protagonists of Oath of Fealty is a genius engineer (of course) named Tony Rand (of course). his catch phrase: "think of it as evolution in action." :smug:

:suicide:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

pradmer posted:

Leviathan Wakes (Expanse #1) by James SA Corey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y171G/

Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs #1) by Richard K Morgan - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBFMZ2/

The Girl with All the Gifts by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO7FLFG/

The Last Wish (Witcher) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010SIPT4/

The Return of the King (Lord of the Rings #3) by JRR Tolkien - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007978P18/

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XB49BG4/

drat. That’s a haul of good poo poo.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

Started Doomsday Book. Not really a spoiler (flavor about a historical event in the book's past) but I had to post this:

"I'm not used to having my civil liberties taken away like this. In America, nobody would dream of telling you where you can or can't go."
And over thirty million Americans died during the Pandemic as a result of that sort of thinking, he thought.

From 1992. also the pandemic seems to have taken place in the late 2010s/early 20s LOL

I forgot all this. I need to go back and reread it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

It's almost time for another SFL archives update post(hit 75% completion in SFL archives Volume 10), but I have to ask.

Should I continue posting SFL-Archives summaries in this thread? I've gotten zero feedback on them and why keep mentioning poo poo no-one cares about?

Of course you should. Otherwise this thread boils down to about 8 books.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

A friend asked me for sci-fi/fantasy books that tended feminist and were mostly happy, and she'd just finished Gideon the Ninth, so here's what I came up with in case anyone else wants my recs:

Okay here is a starter book rec set from me, it covers several genres and is mostly happy, and usually feminist:

- Survival by Julie E Czerneda. First of a trilogy, very Star Trek in feel. A salmon researcher is ANGRY to be taken from studying salmon and thrown into trying to understand what's been mysteriouslly wiping out planets.

- Pride of Chanur by CJ Cherryh. Standalone, has four sequels. Is one of my favorite novels by one of my favorite authors. Is about a crew of space lions who want to be left alone to do merchant stuff, but a human stows away in their cargo and it becomes a race to keep him out of enemy hands while figuring out what to do with him. Lots of cultural stuff!

- To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts. Standalone chonk. A princess has gone missing on the night of the betrothal wedding, and a guardsman is tapped to find her. The first half of the book is great political/thriller-esque stuff as he tries to find out where she's gone and all the political stuff surrounding it, then the self half of it is a car chase but on horses. Great horses. Great action sequences. It's also one of the only books I've read where the main dude is actually crippled and has to deal with permanent pain and it's not magicked away or anything.

- Banner of Souls by Liz Williams. Deeply weird sci-fi fantasy about a Martian warrior-lady who has to find a girl and protect her. Very visual, very weird, I liked it a lot.

- This Alien Shore by CS Friedman. Sci-fi, autism, cyberpunk. I need to reread this but it was formative for a teen me.

- Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn, The only UF on this list (tho I'm waffling on Chronicles of Elantra), and treat it as a standalone, the first is the best. It's about coping when your life has been changed utterly, it's about escaping abusive relationships, it's about growing into yourself and becoming a radio-show host about werewolves.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Well, it's nice that he included a powder room.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ya know I think this goes in here too:

https://twitter.com/MikeBrooks668/status/1304347212550467585

In short, this is a novel from the alien's pov. It's about a band of space orks being violent and having fun and I cannot wait for it to drop, and if it's as much fun as I think it'll be, y'all non-Warhammer fans should check it out!

Is this tweet implying that Orks speak with a cockney accent?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Blimey.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Laterite posted:

Heard from a friend that Terry Goodkind passed away, but am seeing nothing so far, other than a Wikipedia edit.

Terry Goodkind

"Terry Goodkind (January 11, 1948 – September 17, 2020)[1] was an American writer."

From his official FB page.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Baru Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's Cormorants of Dune.

Are you sure this isn’t a real title?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cradle's actually good :colbert:

Maybe your taste is just poor :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

This is a really really good book, better than the hitchhikers guide books, and for what it's worth probably the initial inspiration for American Gods. That being said don't hold Adams to account for Gaiman's sins.

This is indeed a good book. Everything you said after that is nonsense and you should feel shame.