Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t433PEQGErc

After his raucous debut over a decade ago in 2008’s The Dark Knight, the DC villain known only as The Joker finally has his own film. After ten years of being known mostly as the boyfriend of Harley Quinn, DC seems ready to give this enigmatic antivillain his own solo movie at last.

Director Todd Phillips, previously known for his films A Serbian Film, Man Bites Dog, and The Hangover Part II, is bringing this character to life with the help of rapper-turned-actor Joaquin Phoenix. While a bold choice, it seems to have paid off - Joker won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, their highest honor and successor to the Mussolini Cup.

In this thread, you can discuss the film, its novelization, and its tie-in toys and video game. You can discuss the surprise cameo by the new Batman, Armie Hammer. You can also discuss the society we live in.

FAQ

When can I see Joker?

Joker will be available via the DC Universe streaming service on October 4th, and will arrive on DVD and Blu-ray three months later.

Do I need to have seen any other films to understand this one?

Joker is part of the DC Animated Films universe and as such it is highly encouraged that you have seen its predecessors: Justice League vs. the Fatal Five, Teen Titans GO! to the Movies, and the animated adaptation of The Killing Joke.

Will there be a mass shooting at a screening of Joker?

There is no need to worry, the only people with guns in the theaters will be cops.

Why did you make a thread for the movie that will assuredly have the most poisonous discourse of any flick for years?

I need to be punished for my crimes.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Saw it tonight, I enjoyed it. Was amused that they managed to shoehorn the Wayne murders into the movie

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I took a post-grad course in postwar soviet cinematography and the Joker is the darkest film I have ever seen.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
My Personal Top 10 Joker Performances-

1. Mark Hammill (Batman The Animated Series and 3/4 of the Batman Arkham Video Games).

2. Heath Ledger (Dark Knight).

3. Jack Nicholson (Batman 1989).

4. Troy Baker (Batman Arkham Origins).

5. Joaquin Phoenix (the 2019 movie).

6. Kevin Michael Richardson (The Batman cartoon series).

7. Cesar Romero (1960s Batman).

8. Christopher Corey Smith (Lego Batman video games).

9. Zach Galifianakis (Lego Batman Movie).

10. Brent Spiner (Young Justice).

Cameron Monaghan (Gotham), Jared Leto (Suicide Squad), and Jeff Bennett (Batman Brave & The Bold) are Honorable Mentions at best.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

how good are the jokes

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a clown shoe stamping on a human face - forever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That was darker than I expected. I didn’t expect the movie to be about class divides. It was a little heavy handed but that’s needed these days so whatever. I liked it and would like to see it again.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The Joker goes into complete “we live in a society” mode in the last 20 minutes.

Also Joker in this movie is dumb as gently caress. I could only see him succeeding out of sheer luck

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

SeANMcBAY posted:

That was darker than I expected. I didn’t expect the movie to be about class divides. It was a little heavy handed but that’s needed these days so whatever. I liked it and would like to see it again.

Like how dark are we talking here? Is there another movie that compares, just so I know what I might be getting to tomorrow...

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
How did the writers and director get away with stealing the plot to The King of Comedy.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
By the time Bruce becomes Batman, Joker will be an old man

Actually a little touch I liked about Bruce was the quick shot of him sliding down the pole on his playground just like 60s Batman

thepokey fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 4, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A Guy Fawkes mask, but with clown greasepaint smeared across its eyes and mouth.

Also the American flag stenciled over it in black and white with a blue line down the middle.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Desperado Bones posted:

Like how dark are we talking here? Is there another movie that compares, just so I know what I might be getting to tomorrow...

Taxi Driver and King of Comedy dark. The movie seems to be obviously inspired by both.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Taxi Driver dark.

It literally is just a Taxi Driver/ King of Comedy rip-off. Or at least it makes gestures towards being that type of film. It actually has nothing to say.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Judakel posted:

It literally is just a Taxi Driver/ King of Comedy rip-off. Or at least it makes gestures towards being that type of film. It actually has nothing to say.

It’s probably not a coincidence that DeNiro was cast in this.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Taxi Driver and King of Comedy dark. The movie seems to be obviously inspired by both.

Oh nice. Yeah, the King of Comedy inspiration seems to be the more blatant one.

charles.
Mar 2, 2019

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's like if someone saw these movies, missed the point, and ended up making Death Wish with a clown.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
We survived our viewing. No one was murdered.

Whew.

I kept getting Taxi Driver vibes from this as well.

And I really enjoyed seeing it with an audience. People were gasping, awwing, and what the loving a whole ton because they were probably expecting some other movie.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

ghostinmyshell posted:

We survived our viewing. No one was murdered.

Whew.

I kept getting Taxi Driver vibes from this as well.

And I really enjoyed seeing it with an audience. People were gasping, awwing, and what the loving a whole ton because they were probably expecting some other movie.

Yeah there were kids in my showing. Like actual kids, not just 15-17yr olds...cinema was obviously super lax with that and I can only assume they expected a very different movie. Or the parents that took them did.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In hindsight, it was pretty brave for them to show full frontal male nudity just for the sake of the clown wig merkin gag.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I just watched Taxi Driver a few weeks ago and I did not get Taxi Driver vibes from it beyond the aesthetic of grungy post-prosperity New York. Arthur Peck and Travis Bickle have almost nothing in common that you couldn't also say about a dozen other antiheroes.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s probably not a coincidence that DeNiro was cast in this.

Yeah he essentially plays Jerry Lewis's role.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

just another posted:

I just watched Taxi Driver a few weeks ago and I did not get Taxi Driver vibes from it beyond the aesthetic of grungy post-prosperity New York. Arthur Peck and Travis Bickle have almost nothing in common that you couldn't also say about a dozen other antiheroes.

You might not see it but everyone else does. Have you seen King of Comedy?

The film basically outright says that the Joker is just De Niro's character from both these films. Scorcese should have gotten a credit.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I sympathise with the character of Joker. Just like him I also wanted to be dead an hour and a half in to this movie

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Obstacle2 posted:

The film basically outright says that the Joker is just De Niro's character from both these films. Scorcese should have gotten a credit.

Haven't watched King of Comedy, no.

I also see the superficial similarities but it breaks down at any deeper level.

Bickle hates Palantine because he's the other man in Betsy's life. Arthur hates Thomas Wayne because he's another source of rejection and derision, albeit a more intimate one because of his mother's claims.

Arthur knows he's mentally ill. Bickle doesn't. Arthur cares for his mother. Bickle lives alone.

Bickle thinks he's saving someone. Arthur doesn't. Arthur wants to make connections with people. Bickle isolates himself.

Bickle hates degeneracy. Arthur hates impoliteness. Bickle is a tourist to the seedy underbelly of the city. Arthur is victimized by it.

Bickle fantasizes about taking control through violence and rehearses acts of violence. Arthur is almost always acting spontaneously and without foresight; he becomes increasingly violent because he sees that he's rewarded for it. The only thing he rehearses or fantasizes about are adulation, affirmation and suicide.

Bickle sets out to kill Palantine, and is thwarted. Arthur sets out to reconcile with Wayne.

Bickle may be delusional but the audience knows what's happening. Everything in Joker comes with a disclaimer.

Taxi Driver ends with Bickle narrowly surviving and affirmed by legitimate society as a hero. Joker ends with Arthur embracing life as a monster.

The similarities begin and end with them being violent, self-destructive white dudes set against a backdrop of urban decay, with a progressive politician as a story focus. It's not an interesting or accurate analysis. It'd be like calling Scream a lazy ripoff of Halloween.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Warner Brothers marketing strategy of making people think this movie would cause a wave of violence was really brilliant. Nothing brings people to the theaters more than when they think a film is “dangerous.”

Midnight showings are through and not a single disturbance.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I enjoyed this movie, but I think I respected it more than I actually liked it. Every mistake it made either fixed itself in the film or after I though about it more.

Spoilers for absolutely everything. So don't read.

For example: The biggest mistake was that the love interest piece was forced and unrealistic, but that's how a love interest is in every movie so I let it slide because movies suck. But then you learn that it's just another one of Arthur's false memories at the same time he learns it himself. It worked out well because all of his other daydreams/false memories were portrayed quickly, and as if he was at least partially aware of them. So the film fixed itself because it was never really broken from that aspect.

I originally didn't like the Murray Live scene either because Joker wasn't the menacing presence I thought he would be at that point. He's nervous, and it looks like a loser trying to pull of a Joker type stunt. But that probably makes the scene better because he's not completely gone yet, and he is just a loser trying to pull off a Joker type stunt.

I didn't feel like he was the Joker until the very last scene, but I like the potential version that I imagined. I get the impression that Arthur has come to believe that his actions have no real consequences to him because he understands his illness and accepts that he can never really know if anything he does is actually happening in reality.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 4, 2019

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

achtungnight posted:

My Personal Top 10 Joker Performances-

1. Mark Hammill (Batman The Animated Series and 3/4 of the Batman Arkham Video Games).

2. Heath Ledger (Dark Knight).

3. Jack Nicholson (Batman 1989).

4. Troy Baker (Batman Arkham Origins).

5. Joaquin Phoenix (the 2019 movie).

6. Kevin Michael Richardson (The Batman cartoon series).

7. Cesar Romero (1960s Batman).

8. Christopher Corey Smith (Lego Batman video games).

9. Zach Galifianakis (Lego Batman Movie).

10. Brent Spiner (Young Justice).

Cameron Monaghan (Gotham), Jared Leto (Suicide Squad), and Jeff Bennett (Batman Brave & The Bold) are Honorable Mentions at best.

Respectable top 4 but I can't abide by a list that implies KMR's Batman to be better than Bennett's. Also, DiMaggio (Red Hood) and Ingruber (Telltale Games) are my picks for underrated Jokers

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Jared Leto’s Joker was really fitting for the Gen Z crowd.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

just another posted:

Haven't watched King of Comedy, no.

I also see the superficial similarities but it breaks down at any deeper level.

Bickle hates Palantine because he's the other man in Betsy's life. Arthur hates Thomas Wayne because he's another source of rejection and derision, albeit a more intimate one because of his mother's claims.

Arthur knows he's mentally ill. Bickle doesn't. Arthur cares for his mother. Bickle lives alone.

Bickle thinks he's saving someone. Arthur doesn't. Arthur wants to make connections with people. Bickle isolates himself.

Bickle hates degeneracy. Arthur hates impoliteness. Bickle is a tourist to the seedy underbelly of the city. Arthur is victimized by it.

Bickle fantasizes about taking control through violence and rehearses acts of violence. Arthur is almost always acting spontaneously and without foresight; he becomes increasingly violent because he sees that he's rewarded for it. The only thing he rehearses or fantasizes about are adulation, affirmation and suicide.

Bickle sets out to kill Palantine, and is thwarted. Arthur sets out to reconcile with Wayne.

Bickle may be delusional but the audience knows what's happening. Everything in Joker comes with a disclaimer.

Taxi Driver ends with Bickle narrowly surviving and affirmed by legitimate society as a hero. Joker ends with Arthur embracing life as a monster.

The similarities begin and end with them being violent, self-destructive white dudes set against a backdrop of urban decay, with a progressive politician as a story focus. It's not an interesting or accurate analysis. It'd be like calling Scream a lazy ripoff of Halloween.

The similarities are in mood, tone, atmosphere, etc. It is derivative to the point of plagiarism.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Judakel posted:

The similarities are in mood, tone, atmosphere, etc. It is derivative to the point of plagiarism.

Uh huh. Well, universalize those principles and let me know which films survive scrutiny.

Calling a movie derivative in "mood, tone, atmosphere" is meaningless to me. It sounds like you're reinventing the concept of genre.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Obstacle2 posted:

Scorsese was working on production of this movie, he left to focus on The Irishman.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
joaquin phoenix saved the movie from being terrible. i think he was absolutely incredible. normally i'm not really impressed by actors doing radical diets or workouts to change their body for a role (especially with how dangerous it can be) but with phoenix i think it worked because his clothes would hang off him weirdly sometimes. when he had his shirt off it was painful to watch him and it almost looked like his body was in agony.

it had a lot of contrasts, which was good but it was also really conflicted and inconsistent in ways it didn't mean to be. i was mad that it could have been much, much, much better if it hadn't taken itself so seriously in thinking it also had to say something. i mean the main character's name is Art how corny is that?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

just another posted:

Uh huh. Well, universalize those principles and let me know which films survive scrutiny.

Calling a movie derivative in "mood, tone, atmosphere" is meaningless to me. It sounds like you're reinventing the concept of genre.

the entire marketing of the movie focused on the parallels. the genre is 'scorcese movie'.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
man i didnt like the shoehorned comic book references (the alley, joker bloodsmile), while i assume other people loved them/wanted more.
anyway this movie felt too centrist

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

man i didnt like the shoehorned comic book references (the alley, joker bloodsmile), while i assume other people loved them/wanted more.
anyway this movie felt too centrist

yeah stuffing the comic references in at the end hurt it. they could have left it without and it still works and comes off as a proto-joker origin.

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 4, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many times does Mr. Phoenix get noticeably erect

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

just another posted:

It sounds like you haven't compared these two films. Genre is largely a fiction anyway, so the idea that we need to stick by some arbitrary standards is absurd. Mood, tone, and atmosphere can all be very specific to a film and when considered together. If that is meaningless to you, then you should probably watch movies a little more closely.

Farm Frenzy posted:

the entire marketing of the movie focused on the parallels. the genre is 'scorcese movie'.

From the 1970s, to be exact.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:lol: that the fbi might be reading this thread.

I might go tonight to see it, a few of the goods goons are saying are catching my curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It's literally king of comedy meets taxi driver with batman poo poo shoehorned in made for the endlessly quote fight club crowd.

I still don't get the point of it but at least it's the best thing DC has done in general so.. Neat.