Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Yeah, that felt shoehorned - but I really liked the rest of it.

Chuka Umana posted:

Also Joker in this movie is dumb as gently caress. I could only see him succeeding out of sheer luck
I don't know - he's already working on crazy plans in his notebook. Joker's crimes were always more about mayhem and theatrics than actual profit, right?

Going to watch Taxi Driver and King of Comedy now for comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Vir posted:

Joker's crimes were always more about mayhem and theatrics than actual profit, right?

Yeah. That and his obsession with Batman.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Vir posted:

They are so much better then this... "homage".
Jealous of your first timeness

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

King of Comedy streaming anywhere? I haven’t seen it in a very long time and want to again now.

This movie wasn’t bad by any means but it did feel like a dumb guy’s idea of a smart movie at points.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Real talk, is that homies actual shoulder blades or makeup enhanced?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Probably real. He lost like 50lbs for the role.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
King of Comedy is fuckin fantastic and worth the few bucks on prime. But Imma go ahead with a hot take taxi driver as boring and overrated, and most notable for the time it came out. It had a big impact at the time, it ushered in a new era of character driven Cinema at a time Hollywood was out of ideas save for ballooning budgets on Westerns and franchises that were tiring the audience. Only time will tell but I'd sure love it if Joker pushed the current superhero movie the way taxi driver pushed Hollywood then.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Edit ^^^ Thanks, I got Prime to watch Undone, and it seems they have a site for my country now with more than just the made-for-Amazon shows that I got access to on Amazon.com. And yeah, King of Comedy is on it. :toot:

RBA Starblade posted:

How many times does Mr. Phoenix get noticeably erect
He does rise up to great applause from a society of clowns.

Wait, were you making a boner joke?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vir fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 4, 2019

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Donovan Trip posted:

King of Comedy is fuckin fantastic and worth the few bucks on prime. But Imma go ahead with a hot take taxi driver as boring and overrated, and most notable for the time it came out. It had a big impact at the time, it ushered in a new era of character driven Cinema at a time Hollywood was out of ideas save for ballooning budgets on Westerns and franchises that were tiring the audience. Only time will tell but I'd sure love it if Joker pushed the current superhero movie the way taxi driver pushed Hollywood then.

That history of Hollywood is completely wrong, Mew Hollywood has been around since 1967. In fact Taxi Driver was really at the end of that era since Star Wars came out the next year and ruined movies by bringing in nerds.

IGN giving this film a 10 shows that we really need less reviewers whose two favorite films are Star Wars and Ghostbusters.

widunder
May 2, 2002
This was good fun but like everybody says, really, really derivative. Not just the obvious King of Comedy and Taxi Driver (hilarious to claim it has little in common with Taxi Driver when it literally features characters doing the exact same pistol finger thing as Travis Bickle at the end of that film, puffed up lips and all) but a whole lot of The Machinist too (the way the emaciated main character is shot, the single mother motif that turns out to be imaginary etc).

But hey, it was entertaining in a Logan kind of way. Oh and it wasn't overly long (still could've lost a solid 20-25 minutes).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

achtungnight posted:

4. Troy Baker (Batman Arkham Origins).

They movies themselves vary wildly in quality, but he (and John DiMaggio also) does good as the Joker in several of the DTV animated movies too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
attn fbi: we live in a society, slonk gang weed

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

man i didnt like the shoehorned comic book references (the alley, joker bloodsmile), while i assume other people loved them/wanted more.
anyway this movie felt too centrist

Main issues:

I think it was possible to figure out that he was delusional about the neighbor without outright saying so; the early talk show scene establishes this

I do think the alley scene is necessary and I was just relieved that they in fact did not have the joker himself kill Batman's parents and I'm glad they got it over with really fast, didn't draw it out.

I don't mind that the movie possesses a muddle of a message. To me the Joker becomes most strongly the Joker when he is just saying whatever he feels like, true or not, and that was well done. As Arthur learns his life is a delusion built on other delusions, eventually he seems to realize that he may as well add more to the pile instead of trying to find out the truth. His final scene on the talk show is just Arthur dying on the show, exactly as he imagined.

The final scene was entirely unnecessary and should have been left out.

Overall a worthwhile inverse origin story.

re: centrism, probably the stupidest thing about the movie ends up being the director saying it has something to say about "wokeness", the movie is almost bereft of any message save 1980s racism/suburban fear of the city

Typhoon Jim fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 4, 2019

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Movie should have ended with the camera pulling back from the monitors.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vir posted:

Edit ^^^ Thanks, I got Prime to watch Undone, and it seems they have a site for my country now with more than just the made-for-Amazon shows that I got access to on Amazon.com. And yeah, King of Comedy is on it. :toot:

He does rise up to great applause from a society of clowns.

Wait, were you making a boner joke?

A joker movie isn't complete if he isn't making boners left and right!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Typhoon Jim posted:

Main issues:

I think it was possible to figure out that he was delusional about the neighbor without outright saying so; the early talk show scene establishes this

I think this was my biggest issue with the movie. It tells too often when it has already shown

- Like you said, we can figure out his date scenes with Zazie Beats’ character were a fantasy. It should have stopped when she came in the apartment and it was clear she was afraid. We didn’t need Fight Club-esque flashbacks showing the fantasy scenes without her.
- Similarly, we saw Fleck reading the file about his mom and that he was adopted. We didn’t need a flashback asylum sequence with him literally leaning on the wall as a ghostly observer.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I didn't mind those scenes. And you kind of need them to make clear that we're dealing with an unreliable narrator, otherwise we'd be swamped with people who didn't put two and two together for whatever reason.

But yes, it should have ended on the monitors, or the clown riots.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I think this was my biggest issue with the movie. It tells too often when it has already shown

- Like you said, we can figure out his date scenes with Zazie Beats’ character were a fantasy. It should have stopped when she came in the apartment and it was clear she was afraid. We didn’t need Fight Club-esque flashbacks showing the fantasy scenes without her.
- Similarly, we saw Fleck reading the file about his mom and that he was adopted. We didn’t need a flashback asylum sequence with him literally leaning on the wall as a ghostly observer.

This is a movie for edgy couples that dress in Joker/Harley Halloween costumes. Those people absolutely need those scenes.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Chud morons are saying the bad guys in joker are antifa please confirm

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Blast Fantasto posted:

I think you are vastly overestimating the average comic-book movie-goer. A more niche movie can afford to respect the audience. But a movie that is projected to hit > $80 million on the first weekend has to account for thousands of viewers that struggle to read text, let alone subtext.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

golden bubble posted:

viewers that struggle to read text, let alone subtext.
And we can include in that some of the professional reviewers, who you sometimes wonder if even watched the movies they review write hot takes on their blogs about.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Uncle Wemus posted:

No the bad guys in Joker actually took the fight to the oligarchy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Alamo near me now has security with bag checks and every person entering has to het metal detectored by hand also dang

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Neo Rasa posted:

The Alamo near me now has security with bag checks and every person entering has to het metal detectored by hand also dang

There were uniformed cops at the AMC I went to.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The one I went to in Manhattan just had a sign that said this wasn't your normal comic book movie and that was it. Whatever that was supposed to accomplish 🤷‍♂️

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Oh mine had that too. I think that was mostly a preventive measure for the theater to reduce the amount of refunds they’d have to give to people bringing their kids into it

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

The marketing for this film is loving genius. It's like a modern day William Castle - they should bring back the gimmick where you get a life insurance policy when you enter that pays out if you don't survive a screening.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Blast Fantasto posted:

Oh mine had that too. I think that was mostly a preventive measure for the theater to reduce the amount of refunds they’d have to give to people bringing their kids into it

I'm pretty sure they discussed the type of parent that would bring their kid to a 11:45pm showing of this movie, in this movie. All the layers.

It's been a minute but this was pretty much the gist of his "origin" in killing joke minus the red hood stuff no?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Chuka Umana posted:

Also Joker in this movie is dumb as gently caress. I could only see him succeeding out of sheer luck
The trailers made it look like he was starting some kind of movement, but I actually liked that he was basically a meme who was in the right place at the right time.

He's like if Overly Attached Girlfriend was actually crazy and was adopted as a mascot for a class war

Roman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 5, 2019

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Necrothatcher posted:

The marketing for this film is loving genius. It's like a modern day William Castle - they should bring back the gimmick where you get a life insurance policy when you enter that pays out if you don't survive a screening.

It really is nuts, you gotta hand it to 'em.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Wemus posted:

No, the cops and the rich people aren't antifa.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
it was us, we were todd phillip's joker, all along.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Vir posted:

I don't know - he's already working on crazy plans in his notebook. Joker's crimes were always more about mayhem and theatrics than actual profit, right?

I don't know how a man who can't spell "sense" right can outsmart manbat

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i still can't tell what the general public consensus on this is going to be after this opening weekend

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chuka Umana posted:

yeah. plus if they do make a joker for the new movies, i doubt it will be this one.

zer0spunk posted:

i still can't tell what the general public consensus on this is going to be after this opening weekend

from looking at various sites. it seems like alot of opinions are mostly positive at this point or at the very least the whole "incel hero, this shouldnt come out" stuff is mostly dead.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

There were uniformed cops at the AMC I went to.
I thought you weren't supposed to come in costume to this thing. That's it, I'm wearing my Gungan costume to the Cats premiere.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Homeybeef posted:

I sympathise with the character of Joker. Just like him I also wanted to be dead an hour and a half in to this movie

yeah same. Movie bad.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Chuka Umana posted:

It was a joke about making money.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Eifert Posting posted:

I took a post-grad course in postwar soviet cinematography and the Joker is the darkest film I have ever seen.

Yeah, it really reminded me of a Louis Malle film I saw a while back, The Fire Within.

I think marketing it as Scorsese-inspired was bad for the movie. Now everyone's treating the look of the city as Pre-Giulliani NY instead of being what Gotham's always been. Now he's just a Travis Bickle ripoff instead of what Joker's always been, a deranged psychopatic unreliable narrator. And there's King of Comedy allusions because he's a comedian and it has Robert de Niro when he's not even attempting to get a slot on the show nor is he a big fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

sorry op. this thread has to be closed for everyone's safety. it's just too :siren: dangerous :siren:

brought to you by society