Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ok i've been told closing the thread is bad for free speech and exactly what the wokelords want. its open again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This movie is inspiring to tell jokes that arn't funny.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I don't think we've been complaing enough about the Wayne's getting shot. Maybe there could have been some restraint used and just show them come out of the theater then turn down the alley, then the guy goes to follow them. End scene, cut to something else. We know what happens. We've seen it at least twice already this decade (BvS and first ep of Gotham).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
yeah this movie sucked. It thinks its way better than what it actually is. The class struggle/class divide is just window dressing. A lot of confusing decisions were made here for sure, like the whole Wayne family stuff definitely did not need to be in the movie. Save your time and money and watch something else that is better. Or just rewatch taxi driver and king of comedy again cuz yeah those are better.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Some negative nancies in this thread. Movie was good, the bits of dialog that the director wrote in act 3 were bad. Very well acted. Batman stuff was mainly unnecessary, the ending would have been way better without the shot of Bruce. Very fun cinematography.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

lol that woke types were complaining that it was an incel movie when it was actually a gently caress the rich movie

like, EVERYTHING is Thomas Wayne's fault

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

sorry op. this thread has to be closed for everyone's safety. it's just too :siren: dangerous :siren:

brought to you by society

I’ll let you close my thread but only if I get a badge that says damaged on all my posts.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Movie is good. I'm honestly confused by the criticism it's getting.
Wanted to point out a thing, that I haven't seen noted:
What do you think is the significance of the photo with "I love your smile - T.W" written on it?
Was she actually not crazy all along?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Monglo posted:

Movie is good. I'm honestly confused by the criticism it's getting.
Wanted to point out a thing, that I haven't seen noted:
What do you think is the significance of the photo with "I love your smile - T.W" written on it?
Was she actually not crazy all along?
Maybe I got this all wrong but I thought that Wayne stuck his dick in crazy and knocked her up, so he covered it up and set Arthur up as adopted to cover the tracks even more

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Roman posted:

Maybe I got this all wrong but I thought that Wayne stuck his dick in crazy and knocked her up, so he covered it up and set Arthur up as adopted to cover the tracks even more

I haven't seen the movie yet, but are you saying Joker and Batman are half brothers?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah, I believe the intent was to muddy the waters of whether penny was genuinely deranged or whether the Wayne family used their weight and influence to just destroy the life of some poor servant who got mixed up with the horny heir because this movie delights in pulling the rug out from under the narrative you think it's building.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

unless I missed something, yes. the photo with TW on it kinda makes me think that. she was crazy AND she got screwed over

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I mean someone with full-on delusions could conceivably write that in the back of their own photo so I don’t think it definitively points either way

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jose Oquendo posted:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but are you saying Joker and Batman are half brothers?

One of the major plot arcs in the movie is that Penny, Arthur's mother, was formerly a servant of the Wayne family and she keeps writing Thomas Wayne letters that never get answered. is revealed that Penny is begging Thomas for help because they had an affair and Arthur is the result, but Penny signed paperwork to keep it hush hush. However, when Arthur confronts Thomas Wayne, HE reveals that Penny is actually deranged, Arthur is an adopted orphan she passed off as Thomas', and that Penny was thrown briefly into arkham for child abuse, which Arthur confirms when he checks the arkham medical records. However, when he's looking through his mother's things later in the final act, he finds the aforementioned picture, which throws everything into doubt - was penny telling the truth and the Wayne's framed her for abuse and falsified adoption papers, or was Wayne telling the truth and Penny is a schizophrenic? Or is the truth a mix? The movie doesn't say.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's actually pretty interesting and something I wasn't expecting at all from that film. I don't recall that being in any of the leaked plot info.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Pirate Jet posted:

I’ll let you close my thread but only if I get a badge that says damaged on all my posts.

you can just write that in your signature if you want it so bad'

example V

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I just came back from the theater. It was good but not that good, there was a little something missing in there. Lot of shocking moments in there.

Also, the guy sitting next to me needs to be given a "Father of the Year" award for bringing his 6 year old daughter. Some awesome parenting there.

Edit:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

One of the major plot arcs in the movie is that Penny, Arthur's mother, was formerly a servant of the Wayne family and she keeps writing Thomas Wayne letters that never get answered. is revealed that Penny is begging Thomas for help because they had an affair and Arthur is the result, but Penny signed paperwork to keep it hush hush. However, when Arthur confronts Thomas Wayne, HE reveals that Penny is actually deranged, Arthur is an adopted orphan she passed off as Thomas', and that Penny was thrown briefly into arkham for child abuse, which Arthur confirms when he checks the arkham medical records. However, when he's looking through his mother's things later in the final act, he finds the aforementioned picture, which throws everything into doubt - was penny telling the truth and the Wayne's framed her for abuse and falsified adoption papers, or was Wayne telling the truth and Penny is a schizophrenic? Or is the truth a mix? The movie doesn't say.

That felt like a telenovela plot twist and was so loving great.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 5, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
6-year-old gonna grow up to live in a society and slonk gang weed

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

6-year-old gonna grow up to live in a society and slonk gang weed

Dammit mom, why did you took me to see Aliens instead of whatever was the equivalent Joker back then? I would be living in a society right now!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A miserable movie that sucks and has nothing interesting to say. A real snoozer.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Harlock posted:

A miserable movie that sucks and has nothing interesting to say. A real snoozer.

That's a real society opinion, bucko.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I giggled a lot. Lots of absurdly funny things in this movie.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Parental guidance: talented actor elevates potentially average film

For real tho this was the scariest clown movie in years

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

Parental guidance: talented actor elevates potentially average film

For real tho this was the scariest clown movie in years

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
That train scene was really well done I thought, but it felt like it should have come later on in the film

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

That was a neat watch because it was different from anything out there in a while, but while I had fun the movie wasn't quite the masterpiece I think it tried for.

I honestly am amazed by the reactionary panic on both sides for a movie that just kind of, seemed undeserving. It also was just slow and after a few initial uncomfortable drawn out scenes I was kind of over it. Him not being someone trying to start a movement was kind of really cool, but Thomas Wayne being the most loving 1% hack written gently caress the poor because they're clowning around sort of made that whole thing jarring to me.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
Surprisingly good movie. Very rare to see a mass-appeal comic book film with an actual aesthetic and vision in today's market. The look and feeling of the comedy club scenes in particular were so well-done. I went in expecting a totally poo poo King of Comedy/Taxi Driver rip-off but it really felt like its own beast, with obvious references to those films

It's a comic book movie through-and-through, which has confused some people I think. Very cartoony and heightened. Very funny in places as well, which is strange because the reviews I read lead me to believe it was really depressing and self-serious. Of course a young Batman is going to appear. I talked to some friends and they agreed that the killing scene at the end could work on its own as the grand finale to the film's social unrest rather than a cringey lead-in to a new Batman movie. I wasn't so sure, but if they say so...

The film in general is visually inspired in ways the recent Marvel films I've seen haven't been. Phoenix has an insane instinct for knowing how to create images with his weird body, like that scary flex he does while his face is painted white in the apartment. Even the Bruce Wayne scenes this thread seems to think are naff got the imagery so so right, that serious little kid is perfect and the creepy little silent act Arthur does is spot-on.

I think someone in this thread said that the "class warfare" aspects of the film are just window-dressing. They are 100% right and the film admits as such. The Joker literally says "I'm not political, I don't believe in anything". The movie seems to be commenting more on the kind of mania that people find themselves in nowadays, at least according to the news. It really is as simple as "the whole world's gone crazy". Same as Taxi Driver, now that I think about it, but in today's context (even though it's set in the 80s, if that makes sense). The only social position the film really seems to advocate is not alienating or disenfranchising the mentally ill, which I think is fairly unique and admirable for a mass-appeal comic book film.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Movie was pretty good but flawed. It's kind of in an awkward middle point where it's definitely more thought provoking and vastly better on a technical level than any MCU movie, but doesn't really manage to be a great character piece outside of the comic book context.

Joaquin Phoenix is amazing as everyone knows, but I also really liked the cinematography, set design, and costuming. Everything is kind of dirty and dingy with a vague period piece look. You really believe that this is a nasty shithole of a city.

But - about the negatives:

The pacing is a bit off - like someone said the shootout in the train kinda happens too soon? Like the middle act is a bit slow, hard to put a finger on why it felt like that.

Biggest issue is loving up the execution of key scenes and that awkward fan service.

The love interest stuff doesn't work at all, everything about her except the elevator bit is obviously "off" so you can guess it's not real. Then the reveal still tries to make a big deal about itself with awkward flashbacks.

All the stuff with Bruce shouldn't have been there, brings nothing to the movie except people can say "hey that's Batman!" I dunno, maybe they could have done something with Thomas getting pissed at Arthur for coming near Bruce but it's just so clumsy. If you had never seen a Batman movie and never heard of Bruce Wayne you'd be like, why the gently caress are they focusing on this kid all of a sudden? The alley murders are just embarassing.

The two comedian guys coming over to talk to Arthur in his apartment is a good scene until Arthur is laying on the floor and the little person is trying to get away, and suddenly there's like a comedic beat and the tone makes no sense anymore. What am I supposed to be feeling here?

Finally I just felt annoyed at the climatic interview scene. It feels like too much of a plot contrivance that they wanted to interview some nobody that they got some calls about? We're never shown that Arthur became any kind of anti-comedic sensation outside of that one phone call, so is the whole interview supposed to be a delusion too? I guess that would explain why they let this lunatic rant on live television and didn't just cut the live feed. Eh, whatever.

I liked it a bit more than these gripes might make it seem and will probably do a rewatch at some point, but as a character piece it's not that great.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The "comedic beat in the apartment" wasn't that funny for me. I think it was more "oh gently caress, did he do this on purpose so he can kill him after? Is he loving with him?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Whatever else you might say about this movie, it's the most viscerally scary clown movie I can think of

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

JOHN SKELETON posted:

The two comedian guys coming over to talk to Arthur in his apartment is a good scene until Arthur is laying on the floor and the little person is trying to get away, and suddenly there's like a comedic beat and the tone makes no sense anymore. What am I supposed to be feeling here?

I actually quite liked that... it feels like the sort of thing I'd cringe at but I felt it worked here. I think it worked because while it was played as a joke, it wasn't some wise cracking comment in a dangerous situation which removes all tension. That's a marvel/disney/star wars thing. If the little guy had been like "hey dont just sit there, help a fella out!" in some goofy way then .. ugh. But I felt it fit the Joker's theme of humour in chaos and violence. Or it worked because it wasn't funny to the characters involved or its something that would at least give Joker a smirk

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

thepokey posted:

I actually quite liked that... it feels like the sort of thing I'd cringe at but I felt it worked here. I think it worked because while it was played as a joke, it wasn't some wise cracking comment in a dangerous situation which removes all tension. That's a marvel/disney/star wars thing. If the little guy had been like "hey dont just sit there, help a fella out!" in some goofy way then .. ugh. But I felt it fit the Joker's theme of humour in chaos and violence. Or it worked because it wasn't funny to the characters involved or its something that would at least give Joker a smirk

this scene got noticable laughs from my audience, which really only served to make it more creepy

Necrothatcher posted:

There is nobody watching this movie who hasn't seen a Batman movie or heard of Bruce Wayne.

I might be the odd one out then because it was very easy for me to forget I was watching a batman villain origin story. The moments that gave depth to the greater text of Batman were, for me, rewarding.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 5, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

JOHN SKELETON posted:

All the stuff with Bruce shouldn't have been there, brings nothing to the movie except people can say "hey that's Batman!" I dunno, maybe they could have done something with Thomas getting pissed at Arthur for coming near Bruce but it's just so clumsy. If you had never seen a Batman movie and never heard of Bruce Wayne you'd be like, why the gently caress are they focusing on this kid all of a sudden? The alley murders are just embarassing.

There is nobody watching this movie who hasn't seen a Batman movie or heard of Bruce Wayne.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

I know, but I was trying to express that if you just concentrate on this movie's story without the Batman connection, those parts are just unnecessary and distracting. They don't effectively tie in to the story or the themes, they are there just for the fans to get that "I know what that is!" moment. You can do nods like that without it being distracting, like maybe if Bruce was in the background or indirectly referenced, I dunno.

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 5, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I know, but I was trying to express that if you just concentrate on this movie's story without the Batman connection, those parts are just unnecessary and distracting. They don't effectively tie in to the story or the themes, they are there just for the fans to get that "I know what that is!" moment. You can do nods like that without it being distracting, like maybe if Bruce was in the background or indirectly referenced, I dunno.

That said, can I ask are you not interested at all in this being a jump off point for a new batman trilogy that focuses on the villain? IMO the most compelling thing in every Batman movie is the villain.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

JOHN SKELETON posted:

You could argue that the violence and madness Arthur causes leads to a childhood trauma comparable to what he suffered. The film doesn't substantially flesh out that backstory enough for that to be totally convincing, though. In any case the child within me who loves Batman liked those scenes just for how "right" they looked and I don't think they detracted from the movie

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Donovan Trip posted:

That said, can I ask are you not interested at all in this being a jump off point for a new batman trilogy that focuses on the villain? IMO the most compelling thing in every Batman movie is the villain.
I assumed this was just a one-off because Joaquin Phoenix probably wouldn't sign off to do a bunch of sequels, but sure, if there was a sequel that somehow worked well, then retroactively in the context of a series of movies, yeah, those Bruce scenes would probably start to feel more appropriate.

Then again, can you really imagine the setting of this movie suddenly having a guy in a bat suit busting criminals with crazy gadgets? Even the Nolan trilogy level of comic-bookyness would in my opinion feel totally off in this movie's universe. It's like they wrote themselves into a corner, tonally speaking.

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 5, 2019

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JOHN SKELETON posted:

You're supposed to be nervous that the longer the dwarf is forced the linger, the more likely that Arthur will change his mind and kill him. That was the most tense scene in the movie for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

You're supposed to be nervous that the longer the dwarf is forced the linger, the more likely that Arthur will change his mind and kill him. That was the most tense scene in the movie for me.
Huh, interesting that many people felt that scene worked. In the group I watched it with, we all sort of agreed that scene was awkward in the wrong way. Maybe I'll feel different on a rewatch.