Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The only really outré thing in this I feel was the implication that Arthur possibly had pedophilic tendencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Necrothatcher posted:

The Gary Glitter song?

That, plus all the interactions he initiates are with children, in his mind he has a childlike affect that others appreciate, in the report they allude to but don't outright say he was sexually abused (his mother was battered, he was 'abused'), he doesn't even pretend to understand adult sexual innuendo, he specifically fantasises about a woman his age as a guardian angel. The creepy encounter with Bruce is as close as they get to it.

More directly, it just seems like he's developmentally arrested, and his undeveloped sexuality is part of that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sleeveless posted:

Felix Biederman's review of the movie is probably the best thing to come out of it because watching the movie after reading the director's comments I walked away feeling at odds with how Todd Phillips claims that the movie was made as a response to the fact that woke/cancel culture is the reason he can't do comedies anymore yet at the same time the movie harps heavily on the argument that, like, why can't people just be nice to each other maaan?

Lmao. Why is this like six thousand words.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Cultural phenomenons existed in 1981

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They should’ve retconned Joker into being the “where’s the beef” lady

Why is "where's the beef" immediately what I thought of and not "nanu nanu" or whatever.

jet sanchEz posted:

Worldwide, $234 million on it's opening weekend. That is really surprising.

Not remotely surprising, this has got to be one of the most successful ad campaigns in years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

I feel Joaquin's performance as the Joker, I suppose as he was fully becoming the Joker on the talk show, was heavily influenced by Divine.
"They couldn't carry a tune to save their lives"

And like, his speech is like a whinier version of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTOWIMJkKpc
and the whole, Live Homicide

Absolutely, he had a lot of his mother in him. Him doing a butoh after killing those guys was also pretty great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1181269223403855872

Holy poo poo, lol.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
99% is being generous!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Exactly correct - 'it was all in their head' is just an inelegant way to say that while a film may be 'objectively' filmed in third person, it nevertheless represents someone's point of view.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

well why not posted:

Thomas Wayne being a finance rear end in a top hat makes more sense than kindly Dr Wayne from Batman Begins. No good person takes a ten year old to the opera either way.

Isn't Wayne Enterprises in Batman Begins?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

well why not posted:

Yeah but Thomas is a doctor - he says he works at the hospital, not at Wayne Enterprises when asked. The company seems to be under board control until Lucius is brought out of the basement.

Why'd he lie like that? Makes him seem untrustworthy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

well why not posted:

Jurassic Park surely pumped the palaeontology departments applications a few years after its release.

No loving question.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

I couldn't imagine anyone watching his show and laughing. I get he was supposed to be bad and vapid but it was a little too over the top.
I feel like anyone who has watched more than ten seconds of Fallon could tell you otherwise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack B Nimble posted:

A kinder interpretation of the "I'm not political" line is that it's use is meant to intentionally discredit that defense; it's shown to be so obviously false in the movie that someone might be more primed to call bullshit the next time they encounter that disclaimer.

Like, if the joker is political despite his insistence otherwise, then maybe batman is also political? And if so, then perhaps he is an opposing political view? That isn't going to blow the mind of anyone reading the thread, but if you're introducing some themes into "a comic book movie", it's not a bad thing to beat into the audience.

Most of the anger over this movie is honestly about this specifically, in my opinion.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Necrothatcher posted:

Mr Freeze is the most overrated villain. He has the exact same story told over and over again.

It's not even a story, it's just a premise, it's better off not told tbh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's Alfred as told by someone else.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a movie that flat out says beating the poo poo out of cops and killing rich people is funny.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They outright say, in dialogue, that Thomas Wayne deserves what's coming to him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hmm. Alright!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Didn't DaFoe essentially play The Joker in Death Note?