Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Typhoon Jim posted:

Main issues:

I think it was possible to figure out that he was delusional about the neighbor without outright saying so; the early talk show scene establishes this

I think this was my biggest issue with the movie. It tells too often when it has already shown

- Like you said, we can figure out his date scenes with Zazie Beats’ character were a fantasy. It should have stopped when she came in the apartment and it was clear she was afraid. We didn’t need Fight Club-esque flashbacks showing the fantasy scenes without her.
- Similarly, we saw Fleck reading the file about his mom and that he was adopted. We didn’t need a flashback asylum sequence with him literally leaning on the wall as a ghostly observer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Neo Rasa posted:

The Alamo near me now has security with bag checks and every person entering has to het metal detectored by hand also dang

There were uniformed cops at the AMC I went to.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Oh mine had that too. I think that was mostly a preventive measure for the theater to reduce the amount of refunds they’d have to give to people bringing their kids into it

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I mean someone with full-on delusions could conceivably write that in the back of their own photo so I don’t think it definitively points either way

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My favorite part of this movie is Murray Franklin’s super rats/super cats joke

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ZeeBoi posted:

Wasn’t this supposed to be the first movie under some new independent-of-the-DCEU series? DC Black or something?

Something like that, they didn’t put the usual DC title card up front. I actually don’t think there was any DC title card?

The DCEU is fundamentally dead too, Aquaman and Wonder Woman are essentially movies independent of a shared universe going forward. Which is really funny to me that Joe Manganiello was probably jacked up to be playing Deathstroke in an end credits scene that now goes nowhere

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Chuka Umana posted:

Question regarding Thomas Wayne: Why did he go see a movie with his family during a riot with no security detail when he's a mayoral candidate?

I think we got some bad writing here.

To be fair I think the riot is supposed to have started while they were in the movie?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There’s a lot of hot takes but the one I will outright disagree with is “this movie needed a sense of humor.”

It was nice to watch a comic book movie that didn’t have a single loving quip for once

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Nail Rat posted:

They shouldn't have had the very final scene. how the gently caress does he get locked up when all of Gotham was rising up to riot and busted him out? Was that a delusion?

There will definitely be a camp that argues the vast majority of what we saw was a delusion. Early on in the movie Arthur mentions that he’s been institutionalized and we see a brief flashback of him smashing his head against the window in an asylum that resembles the Arkham we see in the movie.

I don’t agree with this but it could be argued that he never left asylum and the movie is all a delusion.

You could argue that Phillips is going for something akin to the fantasy interpretations of the Taxi Driver ending where everything we see after a given point is his fantasy of how he wishes things would go - he takes over his favorite show, inspires a movement, receives adulation from the masses, dramatically escapes capture, etc.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Necrothatcher posted:

It was all a dream interpretations are lazy as gently caress (also boring).

I mean, sure this movie opens itself up to it more than most, but they go out of their way to depict the delusion of the relationship so why wouldn't they do the same if the entirety of the film was one?

This film isn't some puzzlebox to be 'solved', it's got a totally straightforward narrative that arguably over-explains what's happening.

I want to underline that I agree it was all a dream interpretations are lame and not personally what I subscribe too, just saying that those interpretations are out there.

Personally I think it’s more interesting to me if the explicit delusions we’re shown (which are very explicit) are the only ones.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah Gary Glitter is going to die in prison

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
At this point I don’t know why people don’t instead just use one of the dozens of songs that ripped off the Gary Glitter drum sound because that’s all anyone cares about with that song

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If you're worried about Glitter making money off Rock n Roll part 2 royalty fees then I really hope you haven't been to a baseball game in the last 30 years

Baseball is the sport I would least associate that song with and it’s really fallen out of favor for football/basketball/hockey to the point that the NFL requests teams not to play it anymore.

I haven’t heard it personally heard it played at a game in forever.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The score for this movie was very good and reminded me a lot of Johann Johannsson’s work - I looked it up and the composer for Joker, Hildur Guonadottir, actually played cello on a number of Johannsson’s scores.

Edit: She also apparently won an Emmy for Chernobyl too so there’s that. Looking forward to more scores from her

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 8, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jascum posted:

Hopefully Hollywood wakes up and realizes that they should stop just making films for nerds and kids and start making movies for adults again.

I mean this is still ultimately a movie about the clown who fights batman

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Steve2911 posted:

He could've easily found out about his mother without going to the mansion or approaching Wayne in the bathroom. And I really didn't need to see the Joker meet young Bruce.

are you saying the insane clown criminal doesn’t make the most reasoned decisions

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
did you go into the movie expecting the taxi driver to be a normal dude

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It also sort of ceases to be self defense once you’re shooting fleeing people in the back and poo poo

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Skellybones posted:

Joker in this movie has better social skills than a typical incel because he hallucinates a consensual, supportive and chaste relationship with a woman based on shared experiences, then leaves her alone when he realises it wasn't real.

You could argue that he doesn’t leave her alone. It’s left purposefully ambiguous what happens after she finds him in the apartment. He could easily have killed her, too.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Terror Sweat posted:

It owns that the last movie Thomas Wayne ever saw was Zorro, the Gay Blade

I hope that they still left the theater not because of the riots but because Bruce was scared

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

beanieson posted:

Raiders of the lost Ark, Evil Dead, Escape from NY, Thief & Stripes all came out in 1981 🤷🏻‍♂️

he meant the choices get thin for Zorro movies. Not like, all movies

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

beanieson posted:

so in the comics they were killed after seeing Zorro?

My bad lol

Basically for the last 40 years or so, yeah. In comics and other media they’re typically portrayed as going to see a Zorro movie the night they’re murdered. The idea being that consciously or subconsciously Batman is inspired by another guy who dresses in all black and wears a mask.

Hence why they’re seeing Zorro, The Gay Blade in Joker as that would have been the newest Zorro movie at the time the movie is set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Phenotype posted:

I thought this movie was pretty mediocre overall, but I really felt they were insulting my intelligence when they felt the need to have a montage showing all the scenes where Zazie Beetz and the Joker were going on dates to drive in the fact that it was a delusion. All they needed was the scene where she's all nervous and tells him he's in the wrong apartment, it would have been a much stronger twist to just let us contrast her attitude there with the scenes we've already seen.

I felt the same way (and posted as much in this thread) but then I talked to two (TWO) separate people IRL who somehow didn’t process it was a delusion even with that montage. I’m just stunned.