Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It's literally king of comedy meets taxi driver with batman poo poo shoehorned in made for the endlessly quote fight club crowd.

I still don't get the point of it but at least it's the best thing DC has done in general so.. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Vir posted:

Going to watch Taxi Driver and King of Comedy now for comparison.

They are so much better then this... "homage".
Jealous of your first timeness

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Real talk, is that homies actual shoulder blades or makeup enhanced?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The one I went to in Manhattan just had a sign that said this wasn't your normal comic book movie and that was it. Whatever that was supposed to accomplish 🤷‍♂️

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Blast Fantasto posted:

Oh mine had that too. I think that was mostly a preventive measure for the theater to reduce the amount of refunds they’d have to give to people bringing their kids into it

I'm pretty sure they discussed the type of parent that would bring their kid to a 11:45pm showing of this movie, in this movie. All the layers.

It's been a minute but this was pretty much the gist of his "origin" in killing joke minus the red hood stuff no?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
it was us, we were todd phillip's joker, all along.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i still can't tell what the general public consensus on this is going to be after this opening weekend

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I would like this movie so much more if I hadn't seen King of Comedy and Taxi Driver (and obviously really enjoyed both).

It's also hard to poo poo all over it because he really did give an all-in performance and was legit "good" for what this film is, and is acting circles around everyone else. I blame the material because DeNiro can still act when he wants and Frances Conroy played a much better and nuanced version of this character on Six Feet Under.

I still don't think it has a message or point to it whatsoever. If it just wants to live in the bleak character study category there are about a thousand films I'd choose over this one.

Some of those shots are really beautiful though (things like his little behind the curtain posturing)..The visuals far outweigh the story but not in a gimmicky way which is neat.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I want everyone who thinks this thing is a masterpiece for its dark portrayal of an antihero to watch man bites dog.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

don't even have to go back that far, 3 From Hell came out like a month ago

after 31 it would take a lot to get me to watch another rob zombie movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Terror Sweat posted:

55 million isn't exactly low budget

Low budget indies are less than a million, and then they get lumped into tiers with hundreds of millions being "majors"..so yeah, the idea of 55 million being low budget pretty much means "for a comic book movie"..
Aside from the big crowd scenes with all the extras..this didn't look like a 50 mil movie at all..I wonder what the budget went to? Does that include marketing? Was it director and actor fees? I know they shot in NYC, but I've seen indies in the 2-3 mil range that look very similar aesthetically soooo..what?