Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

SeANMcBAY posted:

That was darker than I expected. I didn’t expect the movie to be about class divides. It was a little heavy handed but that’s needed these days so whatever. I liked it and would like to see it again.

Like how dark are we talking here? Is there another movie that compares, just so I know what I might be getting to tomorrow...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Taxi Driver and King of Comedy dark. The movie seems to be obviously inspired by both.

Oh nice. Yeah, the King of Comedy inspiration seems to be the more blatant one.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:lol: that the fbi might be reading this thread.

I might go tonight to see it, a few of the goods goons are saying are catching my curiosity.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Vir posted:

Joker's crimes were always more about mayhem and theatrics than actual profit, right?

Yeah. That and his obsession with Batman.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I just came back from the theater. It was good but not that good, there was a little something missing in there. Lot of shocking moments in there.

Also, the guy sitting next to me needs to be given a "Father of the Year" award for bringing his 6 year old daughter. Some awesome parenting there.

Edit:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

One of the major plot arcs in the movie is that Penny, Arthur's mother, was formerly a servant of the Wayne family and she keeps writing Thomas Wayne letters that never get answered. is revealed that Penny is begging Thomas for help because they had an affair and Arthur is the result, but Penny signed paperwork to keep it hush hush. However, when Arthur confronts Thomas Wayne, HE reveals that Penny is actually deranged, Arthur is an adopted orphan she passed off as Thomas', and that Penny was thrown briefly into arkham for child abuse, which Arthur confirms when he checks the arkham medical records. However, when he's looking through his mother's things later in the final act, he finds the aforementioned picture, which throws everything into doubt - was penny telling the truth and the Wayne's framed her for abuse and falsified adoption papers, or was Wayne telling the truth and Penny is a schizophrenic? Or is the truth a mix? The movie doesn't say.

That felt like a telenovela plot twist and was so loving great.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 5, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

6-year-old gonna grow up to live in a society and slonk gang weed

Dammit mom, why did you took me to see Aliens instead of whatever was the equivalent Joker back then? I would be living in a society right now!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Hey it's his society, we're just living in a.

Anyway, hearing about this movie just makes me really want an official Antifa Joker vs. Fascist Batman. Like, Batman would basically represent the Pinkertons protecting the interests of the upper classes from people like the Joker. And Joker would be completely non-violent, like he'd go out of his way to not actually hurt people and would just be a dick pulling boners all the time and chortling at the Batman.

And Batman would be old and kinda paunchy and have a Punisher logo on his Batsuit even though that's a different comic universe.

Would Batman post minions memes on his facebook?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Also it's kind of in character for him to not give a poo poo what's going on on the streets. He doesn't seem concerned about his personal safety in any other scene.

He had zero guards at his mansion, just his butler which I supposed was a young Alfred.

I love that Thomas Wayne wasn't a portrayed as a good rich philanthropist, but that he was probably a very corrupt rear end in a top hat.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

It was good while it lasted, Venom, the little crappy film that could.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Do you guys know what really really irked me and made me distracted during a couple of dramatic/serious moments? Not the writing, not the acting...

THE CGI BLOOD.

I was groaning when I noticed the extremely bright, wrong colored blood. :psyduck: Unless you are the guys who did the fx for The Zodiac movie, don't try it. It looks so bad. Like, bad-bad.

There was another CGI element that was also extremely noticeable, but it might be a small spoiler. And that was probably the only thing I hated in a technical level and has been annoying me since last night.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So how will this universe's batman reflect that the film he saw prior to his parents' murder wasn't Zorro or The Mask of Zorro, but rather Zorro, The Gay Blade?

It was this movie, right? So the Joker is canonically set in 1981?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K22iiWlNpvg

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

H13 posted:

My friend felt that he went onto the TV show to kill De Niro. As in that was his whole plan. That's a pretty Joker plan, except I read it as that Joker was going to kill HIMSELF on air, and it wasn't until De Niro provoked him that he impulsively changed his plan.

Your friend was wrong and you were correct his intentions to die on live TV were really really blatant. He even was gonna crack his "I hope my death will make more cents than my life" joke, but yeah, he changed his mind in the decisive moment. After all, like he said, he had nothing to lose. This is an early Joker, and we can all pretend he still doesn't what the hell, neither has the mind to make elaborated plans. He didn't even go full theatrical as the character usually does.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

We should thank whoever was the 1% that disliked it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Quickly, someone like it so much so it gets up to %420

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The only really outré thing in this I feel was the implication that Arthur possibly had pedophilic tendencies.

Uh? What how when?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

well why not posted:

RIP to the people who were murdered by Dungeons and/or Dragons.

Jokes aside tho, suicides do rise after TV shows featuring suicides air. Movies aren’t mind control but people do absorb ideas from them.

heavy metal made me a satanist according to some guy on tv.

jokes aside (lol) im not surprised the movie seems to be a hit over here where the corrupt rich have hosed us to hell and back.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Isn't that like 99% of movies? lol

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

99% is being generous!

Okay, okay, 99.9% there's probably someone out there who honestly made a movie just because they were bored and didn't care about the money.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

gary oldmans diary posted:

The movie definitely left you to assume in highsight that there must have been more than what was shown to bring the common man from general anti-rich sentiment to violent action.

I'm not sure if the social uprising part of the story would be better served by more info of actions taken by a brazen upper class than the info of social service cuts and Thomas Wayne's statements or a later scene just showing that ordinary people were absolutely pissed off by Wayne calling them clowns. Entitled wealthy people beating up Arthur is part of the story showing upper class elitism, but the regular people weren't aware of it.

e: In hindsight because the rioting was very enjoyable while watching.

I remember there's a scene in the trailers where Arthur is being kicked out and thrown down the stairs of the theater and it got cut out, by the looks of it. Unless I imagined it all or was confusing it with something else lol. I guess the idea for that scene was that such action would only throw more fuel at the angry protesters?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

gary oldmans diary posted:

I had hoped the man strapped to the gurney and freaking out in the trailer was part of the regular day-to-day horror he experiences when visiting his psychologist. But it's part of visiting Arkham which he only did once before he went full Joker.
That probably would've been too much. I mean there were already 2 main instances where a single individual incited people and he was already both of them. Another incident and it would be like the Star Wars "gee, Luke, I wonder which of the 2 females in the galaxy must be your sister" scenario.

The movie was so close to be this:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Am I the only one who interpreted (or recognized as a possible interpretation) his mother's mental illness as being a fabrication by Thomas Wayne, who gaslit her and consequently forced her into an asylum? This theory is bolstered by:

1. Mother never showing any signs of mental illness prior to the revelation nor after - that is, no psychotic behavior, no delusions, no abuse of Arthur, and so on.

2. Scenes of her in the asylum merely show her sticking to her story (her truth, possibly the truth) and nothing beyond it; the doctors refuse to entertain her narrative, apparently any narrative that does not comport with Thomas Wayne's version of the truth. Wayne doesn't even need to explicitly tell the doctors to do this for it to happen, not like it's uncommon for people of that ilk to trust the word of a respected, successful rich man against a lowly house-maid and woman.

3. The only evidence we have regarding Arthur's possible adoption is Thomas Wayne's words.

4. Wayne punching Arthur. As if to say, "I am powerful, I can do what I please, and I will not tolerate anyone contradicting what I say. You are nothing and therefore my reality IS reality, and don't forget it."

The movie does leave it ambiguous but I'm surprised no one's mentioned this possibility. Not that this is remotely impossible today but it's certainly even more plausible in the era in which this would've happened.

vvv oh yeah vvv
I think arthur finds an adoption certificate in the papers he stole,but it could be easily faked.

I also found weird that she -if she really was commited- had regained custody of her "adoptive" son.

If we go by that theory it makes possible that Thomas is the one that hit her.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

What fridge scene? I think I left the theater for a minute. I honestly don’t recall

I don't recall exactly when it happens. I think is when his mother ends in the hospital. He is having a low moment, removes all the food from the fridge and climbs in, right then he gets the call from the show

I really want to watch it again, I kinda feel I missed a few things you guys have mentioned.

CelticPredator posted:

Not all kids are hyper active brats my dude

I'm pretty sure there are kids out there who like movies about a depressed clown who smokes the whole time. And I'm being serious.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Vir posted:

I do like how the movie keeps both options open, in a way - in Joker fashion. Arthur could be Wayne's son, he could be adopted normally, or she might have adopted him as a substitute after having to have an abortion. I think it's leaning towards him being Wayne's son. But for those saying that it's unlikely that a single woman could adopt, that's true, but she might not have been single at the time she adopted.

I was thinking the same as Eararaldor (who might have posted a spoiler so I don't wanna quote), how was possible that she, a woman who was considered mentally ill, with a probable history of allowing her partner to abuse her son, and a huge media poo poo storm around her case, was allowed to keep her adopted son?

I dunno if poo poo was different in the 80's, but even in my country the kid would be taken away and put in an orphanage until someone adopts -I think we don't have foster homes- I'm gonna stick to the theory that Thomas was an absolute rich rear end and was going puppet master over everything just to hide their relationship.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ruddiger posted:

The movie takes place in the 80s (Excalibur is on the theater marquee in one shot and that was released in 81) and Arthur is said to be in his 30s so he would’ve been a child during the 60s/70s.

:lol: oops! My bad! Anyway, I still stand for my big question of how did that happened.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Alfred was talking out of his rear end with that watch the world burn garbage, he couldn't see past his own imperialist ideology.

Asked this earlier but never got an answer, has Thomas Wayne run for office before in the comics, or was that something made up for the movie?

I went to browse the wikipedia. It seems he did in Batman: Earth One.
But the majority of his stories make him a good person who saved lives. I still like the turn they took in this movie, where he is not good.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

But a lot of people are very dumb. I'll never forget when Matrix Reloaded came out and I overheard a conversation where a couple was about to see Reloaded and the guy was trying to explain to her, who apparently hadn't seen the first movie, about how it was all about aliens and time travel. Like it had been years after the first movie and he still thought it was about aliens and time travel. Morpheus gave an entire speech explaining the premise and this guy thought ALIENS and TIME TRAVEL! And I eavesdropped on the entire conversation because that's when I realized that's why big budget Hollywood movies have focus groups. Because people are dumb as poo poo, but studios want their money.

If someone wants to do a great indie movie I'm all for not compromising, but if they want to do a franchise big budget blockbuster you have to spell things out because I bet 40% of the audience will not get it even when you do spell it out.

From what I've noticed a part of the audience pay little to no attention to a movie.

I used to have a friend who would keep talking non-stop and always tried to get your attention to stop looking at the screen and listen to him. When asked, why the hell was he doing that, he told that "movies are for socializing and chatting with your friends, I dunno why you guys want to sit there in silence".

Yes, I'm a snobby cinephile when it comes to sitting down to watch movies on a theater. :colbert: I have problems to focus on poo poo and I need my silence and dark environment, goddammit.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

It seems to be a really common thing which baffles me. People can socialize and chat with their friends anywhere and they don't have to pay 15 bucks a person to do it. It's no wonder Hollywood thinks they can just put up flashing bright lights and noises on a screen and get people to pay and see it. They're right! That's why I'm baffled by food in theaters too. People can't stop shoving food into their faces for 90 minutes?? That seemed weird to me since I was in my late teenage years. Go to dinner with your friends after the movie to talk about it or go before. But during the movie, watch the goddamn movie.

Many years ago I once got stuck at a mall and decided to see a movie to kill time and found out once I was inside it was one of those "servers bring you actual entrees to tables in the theater type places all movie long" type places (a thing that was just starting and I had never heard of) and I was just like, well, what new fresh hell is this?

But yes, you are very snobby for wanting to watch the thing you paid money to watch in silence and darkness to be able to watch in silence and darkness. :-)

We have one of those restaurant-theater places. At the beginning they would actually stop serving at all the moment the movie started. Recently I've noticed the waiters are still walking around during the first 20 minutes or so, also the sound of clutery against the plates is SO distracting. At least they sever alcohol and you can get drunk with hella expensive booze while sitting on a big comfy couch :v:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Maybe a horror-movie with the Scarecrow,

Only if Cillian Murphy reprises the role, also he is allowed to use his Irish accent. :colbert:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'd be happy with John Noble. He owned in Arkham Knight.

However, I'd also love a Penguin versus Riddler movie starring Robin Lord Taylor and Cory Michael Smith

Oh God, Taylor was a perfect Penguin. :allears: Cory was as amazing. I miss those two, to be honest.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

I loved the way Joker nervously pumped his legs. A pretty common tick in real life but not something you often see on film.

Hah. I do that a lot, and some people find it annoying. And bouncing both legs at the same time is maximum "I am so loving anxious and nervous fuuuuuck", so that was indeed a good touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Thanks, that account had this unrelated cursed post:

https://twitter.com/MexicansOfLate/status/1184471768897064963

:gonk: I can hear their posh accents.