Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t433PEQGErc

After his raucous debut over a decade ago in 2008’s The Dark Knight, the DC villain known only as The Joker finally has his own film. After ten years of being known mostly as the boyfriend of Harley Quinn, DC seems ready to give this enigmatic antivillain his own solo movie at last.

Director Todd Phillips, previously known for his films A Serbian Film, Man Bites Dog, and The Hangover Part II, is bringing this character to life with the help of rapper-turned-actor Joaquin Phoenix. While a bold choice, it seems to have paid off - Joker won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, their highest honor and successor to the Mussolini Cup.

In this thread, you can discuss the film, its novelization, and its tie-in toys and video game. You can discuss the surprise cameo by the new Batman, Armie Hammer. You can also discuss the society we live in.

FAQ

When can I see Joker?

Joker will be available via the DC Universe streaming service on October 4th, and will arrive on DVD and Blu-ray three months later.

Do I need to have seen any other films to understand this one?

Joker is part of the DC Animated Films universe and as such it is highly encouraged that you have seen its predecessors: Justice League vs. the Fatal Five, Teen Titans GO! to the Movies, and the animated adaptation of The Killing Joke.

Will there be a mass shooting at a screening of Joker?

There is no need to worry, the only people with guns in the theaters will be cops.

Why did you make a thread for the movie that will assuredly have the most poisonous discourse of any flick for years?

I need to be punished for my crimes.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

sorry op. this thread has to be closed for everyone's safety. it's just too :siren: dangerous :siren:

brought to you by society

I’ll let you close my thread but only if I get a badge that says damaged on all my posts.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s definitely made very clear that this Joker didn’t incite any riots or protests so much as he killed the guys on the train and as such completely lucked into becoming the face of the movement. He even admits on the Murray show that he doesn’t pay attention to any of that and he just killed them because he didn’t like them.

I’m also pretty sure it’s intentional that when he finally gets his big spotlight, he doesn’t have anything insightful to say and his complaints sum up to “people are so rude.”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Joker’s score and cinematography, and Phoenix’s performance, are all Pretty Good but those three things alone do not a great movie make so it’s basically coasting by on the fact that the definitive superhero franchise stopped giving a poo poo about any of those things a long time ago.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The World Inferno posted:

It is what it is.

Does feel pretty drat tone-deaf nowadays to do a major release where the anti-hero vigilante only does just murders, continually expresses indifference or joy in murdering, and is shown triumphant at the end because of said murders.

Not that it's a requirement, but at no point does the film suggest what he's doing is wrong, or hurting innocent people.

I feel like the movie has enough confidence in you to realize that murder is wrong.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Honestly I really appreciated the Thomas Wayne stuff if only for actually showing what kind of thing would make you into the “what’s the frequency, Kenneth” guy.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s probably worth thinking about that all the offscreen implied violence is against women and all the onscreen explicit violence is against men.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Not 100% sure, I was bringing it up as a factor for discussion. But if this movie is based off of Taxi Driver, that movie was defined by its Madonna complex and Travis’s weird attitudes towards women.

Also I just remembered him killing his mom is onscreen so maybe I’m just an idiot.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I also want to note that if his relationship with Sophie was imagined that means he imagined her expressing happiness at the death of the Wayne employees, which may betray his claims later that he’s apolitical.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do I actually believe this was a thing?

It was a thing on this very forum.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The best bit is right after that when it implies that news stations are just straight up airing the footage of Murray getting shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Just finished this movie and all I have to say is that Joaquin Phoenix is a really, really good actor

And a really, really good dancer.