Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah, I believe the intent was to muddy the waters of whether penny was genuinely deranged or whether the Wayne family used their weight and influence to just destroy the life of some poor servant who got mixed up with the horny heir because this movie delights in pulling the rug out from under the narrative you think it's building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but are you saying Joker and Batman are half brothers?

One of the major plot arcs in the movie is that Penny, Arthur's mother, was formerly a servant of the Wayne family and she keeps writing Thomas Wayne letters that never get answered. is revealed that Penny is begging Thomas for help because they had an affair and Arthur is the result, but Penny signed paperwork to keep it hush hush. However, when Arthur confronts Thomas Wayne, HE reveals that Penny is actually deranged, Arthur is an adopted orphan she passed off as Thomas', and that Penny was thrown briefly into arkham for child abuse, which Arthur confirms when he checks the arkham medical records. However, when he's looking through his mother's things later in the final act, he finds the aforementioned picture, which throws everything into doubt - was penny telling the truth and the Wayne's framed her for abuse and falsified adoption papers, or was Wayne telling the truth and Penny is a schizophrenic? Or is the truth a mix? The movie doesn't say.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

the movie would be better if it was about class struggle/divide/uprising than as an origin Joker story

I mean, it still is? The Joker in the film exists as sort of a personified catharsis, an expression of all the violent resentment of the people crushed by the economic system of Gotham who lash out in violence because that's the only path that makes sense to them. Within the film, he basically is a face on the idea of revolution - violent, spontaneous, muddled, and inevitable. Much like the violent uprisings were probably going to happen sooner or later, like how Thomas and Martha Wayne are always going to die, as long as the society continues on the path it has set itself on, someone was going to become the Joker sooner or later - if not Arthur, some other downtrodden and broken person would have erupted into violence.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah, it was initially just going to be a localized demonstration, but then the cop shot that guy and it escalated from there. I don't think it even fully became a riot until right before the Joker went on TV

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

How much money did Gary Glitter get from this movie?

Probably not enough to make up for going to prison again

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

If you're worried about Glitter making money off Rock n Roll part 2 royalty fees then I really hope you haven't been to a baseball game in the last 30 years

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Lmao. Why is this like six thousand words.

I love the chapos, but they should really use some of that patreon money to hire someone to hit them with a length of rubber tube every time they start talking about movies, its embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

How did it even get out that a clown did it? Did that woman snitch on him? He potentially saved her from getting raped! And besides, the first two guys were self-defense. It was only murder when he shot the guy fleeing.

Presumably given that she was the last person aside from Arthur to see them alive, it was less "snitch" and more "the police are going to think I did this if I don't mention that weird clown"