Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

well why not posted:

Jurassic Park surely pumped the palaeontology departments applications a few years after its release.

Bones definitely made people want to be forensic anthropologists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

ruddiger posted:

I didn’t even catch his eyes were closed while dancing. I was hoping he’d cartoon splat into a pole while running from the train or fall off the stage during his set (an homage to real life!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sizx2j7Vc6Y

There was the bit where he tried to act all cool in front of the detectives, dropping sick bon mots and flicking his cigarette at them all tough guy, and then ran face first into an EXIT ONLY glass door at the hospital. That was pretty good.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Actually the fridge was Harley.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Basically. It's a really good A+/S rank comic book movie, but a solid C "real" movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's probably the best superhero movie I've seen but I wouldn't put it in my top 10 of all movies ever.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Tulip posted:

Yeah the comparison to Parasite seems apt. The biggest difference is Parasite has enough interpretative space that I've met quite a few people who read Parasite as "oh the poor people are parasites preying on the innocent rich people" but Joker has such a bald hatred of the rich that if you aren't willing to go along with "the rich are a destructive force" you wind up unable to interpret a very simple movie.

Honestly Joker is so didactic and straightforward I don't know how there's any debate about its themes or content. Literal Maoist propaganda from the Cultural Revolution has more sympathy for capitalists than Joker. The interview with the social worker is so overt about the original sin of the fiction that I'm surprised it didn't have footnotes with page citations about deinstitutionalization.. That I run into professional film critics that call it cynical, confused, and unclear is the sort of thing that makes me think "it is impossible to make a movie immune to willful misinterpretation."

I liked the movie but it's incredibly direct and unsubtle.

There were people in this very thread who thought "he's just imagining being in a romantic relationship with his neighbour!" was ambiguous or straight up didn't get that they weren't actually dating. You could hit people in the face with a sledgehammer that says "KILL THE RICH - JOKER (2019)" and someone would go nah I think maybe the film sides with the capitalists???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Roman posted:

But bleeping out the naughty word

The best joke ever