Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
So I saw this and I'm really disappointed. I have an interest in "angry white guy with a gun" movies despite (or maybe because of) how utterly repulsive I find that mindset in the real world and this was definitely one of the weaker ones. Like strip aside all the weird hype and outrage and pretenses of elevating comic book movies and this is just a much weaker movie than something like Four Brothers (2005) or Death Sentence (2007) or The Brave One (2007). Same with the psychological character study aspect, with the dramatic actor weight loss and illusory single mom subplot it reminded me of The Machinist of all things and was in itself just a more on the nose version of other better psychological horror pictures.

Felix Biederman's review of the movie is probably the best thing to come out of it because watching the movie after reading the director's comments I walked away feeling at odds with how Todd Phillips claims that the movie was made as a response to the fact that woke/cancel culture is the reason he can't do comedies anymore yet at the same time the movie harps heavily on the argument that, like, why can't people just be nice to each other maaan? There's a major cognitive dissonance in how Americans feel isolated and threatened yet at the same time are constantly lashing out at the idea of decorum and politeness, that the people who complain the loudest about safe spaces and pronouns are also the ones who decry how people are so rude and impersonal now, and the movie always feels like it's just on the verge of broaching that but never commits and instead veers into affected misanthropic nihilism ("I'm not political! I don't believe in anything!"). Evil clown kills man and laughs, the end, no moral. We live in a society, bottom text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I just realized that the ending of this movie is literally just the ending from the novel Fight Club, the more I think about this movie the less I like it.

fatherboxx posted:

I think this got to be among the most stupid things said by Felix.
Lonely men rejected by society, truly an undiscovered subject in literature and movies.

Your reaction to someone saying that loneliness is a problem a lot of people struggle with because it's not something that is talked about or addressed properly being to dismiss them and tell them that it's really not a big deal and to man up because there are bigger problems out there is actually a pretty great illustration of how right he is.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think people saying the clown revolution was unrealistic is looking at it wrong. Don't assume everything was hunky dory before the clown stuff and it just went zero to sixty just from the joker.

It makes way more sense if you get that the riots were coming either way, that the trash strike and super rats and disgusting conditions and the richest man in the city who was responsible for it all telling you he simply needed to be given more power and he could fix it had meant that at some point there was going to be a riot. Then a high profile murder of a guy that in some nonspecific way the public recognized as a bad guy involved in how bad everything was enough to be a rallying point and get everyone to wear a mask, which helped the protests get way more out of control.

Like it doesn't feel like without the murder there wouldn't have been violent protests, just that the murders changed the trajectory from flip a few cars and chant some slogans to like, burn half the city and murder the waynes.

Like imagine in the real world if someone wearing a spiderman mask killed steven bannon or Martin Shkreli or something and got away with it. Spiderman masks would instantly show up at protests after that. If there was already a mass protest going on a few days later, it absolutely could end up being the match to spark further violence.

Well there is the wrinkle that using clowns as a symbol of rebellion against the status quo is literally a thing that is happening right now, albeit it's something neo-nazis are doing to epically troll the normies. And it's asinine and failed horribly no matter how many Pepes in clown makeup they draw and how.many dudes in sweaty greasepaint march in straight pride parades. The only headway it's ever made is well-meaning but oblivious centrists scolding people for accusing such a common piece of iconography of being a dogwhistle, akin to the way that they were scoffing at the idea of the OK symbol being used by Nazis up to and including mass murderers flashing it in their court appearances.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Thinking back on it I kind of wish that they had delivered on Arthur's thoughts of suicide and had him actually Budd Dwyer himself on the talkshow like he had practiced or maybe be killed in the aftermath of what he's set into motion by a cop or even a fellow clown. As a serious character study it would be kind of cliche but the rest of the film is already dealing so heavily in existing tropes anyways and as a comic book movie it would have both been a great capstone on the "THIS AIN'T YOUR DADDY'S COMIC BOOK MOVIE" thesis by eschewing canon and showing that there really are no rules and nothing is sacred. Especially if they had taken it one step further and actively avoided giving you the gratification of showing Thomas and Martha Wayne getting murdered on screen for the second time in three years just so you can clap at recognizing the thing from the other thing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

1glitch0 posted:

Having read Todd Phillips bitchy comments about why he made this movie I don't think he realized what he ended up making.

Nonsense, I'm sure the guy whose comedy ouvre was dudebros saying things like "paging dr. [slur]" and pantoming a baby jerking off has an incredibly nuanced understanding of human psychology.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

well why not posted:

Hangover 1 definitely wants you to like those characters. Bradley Cooper’s character at the very least.

Yeah there's a very clear trajectory from his 1998 documentary Frat House to his 2003 comedy Old School to his 2009 trilogy of Hangover movies where the first one ends with a dude being empowered to tell off his bitch of a fiance and get rich counting cards in vegas and ends with a largely joke-free final entry that is just a drama. Phillips isn't nearly smart of self-aware enough to operate on that level even before you factor in his public diaper-filling about how Political Correctness Gone Mad means he can't do comedy anymore.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hollismason posted:

This movie is really great but problematic with them making Joker have a established mental illness and history of abuse because it kind of plays into the mentally ill and abused people can snap at any moment, when in reality most of the time they simply self harm.

I think one of the reasons I was pretty unmoved by the film as a piece of character study is because it follows the opposite trajectory of most cinematic descents into madness and violence where Arthur is presented as basically batshit and unhinged from the get-go and instead they go the opposite and try to humanize him over the the course of the movie by couching him being a violent comic book psychopath in relatively grounded acts of horrific childhood abuse and institutional neglect.

e.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 8, 2019

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I don't believe in horseshoe theory but there's something to be said for how the idea that politics is downstream from culture is both the cornerstone of both alt-right pepes and wokescold blue checkmarks.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Palate cleanser for that awful post.

https://twitter.com/ryanheezy/status/1181398453429161984

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

well why not posted:

It’s almost entirely the media concerned about this. Almost as if there’s an agenda about damaging a movie that encourages class war, and a further agenda about using that narrative as marketing.

I can't believe it only took like a year for Gotti's "the critics don't like this movie, so go see it to stick it to those ivory tower media elites" marketing push to be completely internalized.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

skooma512 posted:

It's definitely because of the class war aspect. Nothing else makes sense. The Aurora shooting wasn't because of the movie itself, any big showing would have done, that was just a convenient way to get people to kill. There's been more than one Batman movie since then, including a terrible one with only villains.

Nobody even knew about the class war aspect until the movie actually came out and even now it's mostly just a footnote in discussions of the film. I get that people are having a grand old time dunking on hot takes from thinkpiece writers but this recent narrative of them all being class traitors who are covertly and intentionally manipulating the public at the bidding of their shadowy billionaire cabal masters is asinine.

Especially when it comes full circle and the people who were making fun of writers for thinking that a movie could incite a shooting are now unironically accusing those same writers of trying to incite a shooting, becoming the very thing they were making fun of.

Sheogorath posted:

Does anyone think the scene where he kills the one coworker and lets the other one go could be a delusional fantasy?

It makes no sense to me that his coworkers would come by his apartment, would know that his mother had died, would know where he lives, etc.

It rings a lot more true as fantasy about being able to kill the one who wronged him and dole out clemency to the only one who was every nice to him rather than an actual event that occurred.

I doubt it because the movie doesn't have that kind of subtlety, when the neighbor doesn't recognize him it immediately smash cuts into a ten second long supercut of every scene of the two of them together in the movie just to make absolutely sure that you Get It.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Steve2911 posted:

I liked it. I do think there's a strain of shitbags who will be 'inspired' by it. The last decade of shitbags shooting people is a strong indicator of that.

Not that there'll be any violence off the back of it (I loving hope not at least) but the usual Pepe scum will be worshipping it for years to come.

Actual disaffected nihilists and edgelords have been making fun of Joker for years. That's what the whole Gang Weed meme was originally about, "we live in a society" started as a joke where you took unironic Facebook memes with the Joker that say things like "We live in a society where football players get paid millions of dollars but teachers have to do fundraisers" and just crop off the bottom to make fun of how facile they (and the people who posting them in earnest) are. Pepes think that The Joker is normie poo poo which makes the public's idea of the movie triggering the libs and redpilling audiences even funnier to them, it's like the idea of KISS being an actual dangerous neonazi black metal band that is inspiring hate crimes.

iamsosmrt posted:

People seemed too oblivious to his obvious mental illnesses. Maybe my general experiences are anecdotal, but most people in public tend to try to avoid or leave "crazy" people alone. Even Thomas Wayne, while understandably miffed from hearing about the Joker's visit to his home, seemed to lack any EQ to see the the son of his crazy former employee is also disturbed. I get that this was kind of the point of the movie, but it felt a bit hard to buy.

"Oh hey, you're that guy who gave my kid flowers and stuck his fingers in his mouth. What's up, how's it been, what a coincidence that I would run into you again here in the men's room all alone."

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 9, 2019

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I rewatched The Hangover a few months ago because it was the tenth anniversary of the film's release and in a vacuum the slurs and gay panic stuff in it were really noticeable and bad by today's standards but by and large felt like were just part of the era it was made in, the final death throes of that decade's lovely attitudes towards LGBTQ+ people; it's always a little shocking when you like look up old Daily Show clips and Jon Stewart is making jokes like "all rise for the honorable Justice Chick With Dick" to make fun of the idea of a trans person being a politician, our cultural attitude and awareness has changed to radically since then. It's only when you're viewing it through the lens of Phillips' recent public remarks about how Political Correctness Gone Mad has killed comedy and rendered him a pariah for daring to make people laugh that it becomes malicious and asinine, like he thinks himself some sort of warrior poet speaking unpleasant truths to power and society for the type of dumbass lowest common demoniator comedy where you show a fat guy in a speedo and somebody quips "OK, that's just wrong".

I can't seem to find it online but there was a television commercial for his 2003 Will Ferrel movie Old School that showed off a bunch of negative reviews from critics and then went "...but who cares, Old School is the #1 movie in America!", his entire career has always been tinged with this obnoxious unwarranted self-importance about sticking it to the stuffy elites and giving audiences what they really want.

Also to me the most offensive thing about The Hangover was what a naked advertisement it was for Las Vegas, like an entire generation of dudebros genuinely believed they could totally hack the system and become millionaires because Zach Galifianakis made a funny face and equations floated in front of his head and then he got rich.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 10, 2019

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The entire weird deification of Nikolai Tesla among the Redditor generation pretty much started entirely because of The Prestige's depiction of the character. The movie debuted in October of 2006 and if you look at the google trends map searches for the dude the month afterward had exponentially more people looking up info about him.

For things like that or Jaws making people hate sharks it's more people being made aware of a concept they weren't aware of already though, the Tipper Gore/Joseph Lieberman school of thought where basic human behavior is something that can be eroded by the morality of works of fiction isn't really comparable to say War Games making people in the 80s think that computer hackers could start a nuclear war with a phone call because it's their only point of reference for how networked computers work.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 11, 2019

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DLC Inc posted:

thought the movie was ok but also thought The Art Of Self Defense handled themes like violence, mental illness, toxic masculinity better and with more laughs

Agreed but paradoxially the people who would benefit from seeing it most are also the kinds of people who will immediately reject the film when presented with it because Jessie Eisenberg is the lead and he's considered an annoying beta loser to them because he did some indie comedies like a decade ago.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hey i haven’t seen this yet, so I need to ask here. My kid (12) wants to see this with his friends. The IMDb page doesn’t really give me a good idea of how bad it is.
For reference the most “questionable dad movie” he’s seen was blade which he liked.

So what say you, cd? Yay or nay?

Please don't, not out of concern for your son but for the sake of an audience that is going to have to deal with a bored 12 year old and his friends for the majority of the movie. Like they probably want to see it because they've heard how twisted it is and when they find out there's only like one chase and one gunfight and then the rest is a sad clown smoking intensely and doing tai chi those phones are coming out and those seat backs are gonna start getting kicked.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
"So you guys hear about these super rats running around now? Lemme tell ya, you wanna see a real super rat infestation just look at the dang White House! Folks,"

Uproarious appluase, 10+ million views on YouTube, half of a 24 hour cable news cycle dedicated to demanding an apology/cheering on their bravery for telling Comedy With A Message.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Joker finally inspired someone to kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqpak5lFxvs

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Case in point.

People aren't exactly confused by what this movie is trying to say. It's about as subtle as a sign getting smashed over your head (if you'll pardon me being glib). It's saying "eat the loving rich and powerful before they eat you," and people are getting this, even across language barriers. Even fuckin' chuds are getting it (and proceeding to get pretty mad at the movie).

This movie whips scrote, god drat.

It's true, only good movies with intelligent plots and cohesive worldviews get adopted as symbols by protestors. Joker is in incredibly good company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mobWJFfV3I

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ruddiger posted:

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1195157137162412032?s=21

Can’t wait to see Joker loving ladyboys in Thailand.

The guy who made a bazillion dollars off of his lovely Hangover movie and sequels whining about the fact that he can't do crappy R-rated edgelord comedy anymore was already a hilarious joke at his expense but the fact that now Joker made a billion dollars only further proves that the fragile cishet white guy crying about persecution is the most thin-skinned baby in existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I think I'll take the interpetation of an actual leftist film maker about whether Joker is actually leftist or just a dumb comic book movie trying so hard to be Real Cinema.