Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
attn fbi: we live in a society, slonk gang weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
6-year-old gonna grow up to live in a society and slonk gang weed

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Unironic post, for once: regarding all the Batman stuff, it seems most likely to me that this movie's a secret DCEU movie (given all the explicit BvS connections) and they're riffing on the whole "multiple choice past" thing with the Joker to the extent that different actors are literally portraying different incarnations of the same person. Phoenix Joker is Leto Joker is whoever-else-they-dig-up Joker is etc, and which one they use depends 100% on the needs, tone and aesthetic of the movie. We might literally see two different Joker actors portraying a character that's supposed to be the same person in the same movie, if someone decides to go crazy enough with it.

If they go in this direction I'm going to lose my loving poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mastershakeman posted:

Did Todd Phillips know about Bernie goetz or is this just a big coincidence

It seems fairly obvious that the train scene is referencing Goetz to some extent or another.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like calling the Hangover movies endorsements of their characters' behavior is kind of reductive, the series is pretty blunt and clear that it's about huge pieces of poo poo and 2 actively tries as hard as it can to torch any shred of likability the audience might've seen

They're black comedy that got taken as straight frat-bro-comedy, essentially

Like I kind of get where Phillips is generally coming from because, like, "here's a terrible person, look how lovely they are" sums up most of his movies, people really should have assumed at least a little more good faith on this than they did

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The thing is Hangover 2 was very clearly not an accident and was very clearly Todd Phillips going "what the gently caress you weren't supposed to like these people" as angrily as possible, and that strongly colors how I interpret the first movie

The first movie basically takes a typical bro-comedy "tight-rear end gets into wacky situation, his friends that he initially spurns teach him to loosen up to get out of it" plot, but plays it in a way darker manner than you'd typically see; Bradley Cooper is a "tight-rear end" in that he actually attempts to live up to his responsibilities and not drink his life away into a haze of abusing random people, and his friends are all absolute diarrhea people who largely just finish mutating him into one of themselves, rather than them being rough but largely decent people who cure him of being straight-laced through the power of bro-hood like usual

e: Like I think Phillips used basically the worst possible word choice to describe his situation but, when you look at his complaint in detail, he's basically griping that people won't give him the benefit of the doubt re: making something about garbage people that doesn't endorse garbage people. And most of his filmography has something to do with garbage people in some way or another, I mean dude came out the gate with a loving GG Allin docu, so it's reasonable for this to be a situation he's not exactly thrilled about even if you're on the opposite page.

I also gotta agree, for the record, that he's not really that smart and it's not really incredibly surprising that shitheads took The Hangover the wrong way because it's kind of... too subtle for its own good about this? And then 2 is just so unsubtle it's kind of a shock it actually got released, which is its own kind of impressive but also doesn't really make for an enjoyable movie since it's basically nothing but the cast being horrible people to each other and everyone else around them.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 8, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Alfred being ex-SAS and secretly even more badass than Bruce wasn't part of the original conception of the character, but it's been around long enough that it can be reasonably expected as a character trait in new versions, and it also rules.

(I wanna say 80s comics are responsible for that? Might be earlier.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
God, this movie whips rear end.

Like, I didn't know Todd Phillips had this in him, god drat. For all the hurfa-durf surrounding it, this is a really astoundingly empathetic movie and one of the loudest and angriest "eat the rich" statements I've ever seen. It's fundamentally a movie about how hosed it is that Reagan destroyed public mental health services, and how the rich need to have loving vengeance wrought upon them for doing that.

It was frankly refreshing as hell.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LinkesAuge posted:

I don't know, to me it feels it misses the mark when it comes to the whole class struggle. Joker certainly isn't a sympathatic figurehead for that. Is his story tragic and sad? Sure but his actions (as well as the directionless destruction by the protests) kinda prove the point of the "rich", not to mention that Bruce's parents are victims at the end of the story.
On top of that you have his mother, a working class person, that is responsible for abusing her own child. Someone else already mentioned that the movie is in general just misantrophic and I think that's closer to the truth than a positive message about class struggle (his own co-workers were also not friendly to him except one person so he didn't even find solace within his own class).

But the thing is, at the end of the day, it's not other poor people that hosed Arthur over and created this hosed up situation. If the public mental health system hadn't been defunded, and if Arthur had any kind of support structure other than a whole bunch of similarly-broken people unequipped to support him, there would be no movie.

The poor aren't strictly sympathetic in Joker, but it's also very explicitly not their fault. Society hates the mentally ill and hates the poor; anyone in one of those categories is going to get hosed over and traumatized, and someone in both is gonna basically be Arthur.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Frankly, I think people are overthinking a movie that's pretty loving blunt and direct about its message. Rich people are monsters, so kill them until they no longer exist.

Arthur may not exemplify this himself- he more or less blindly lucked into this through most of the people who harmed him being rich- but it's not an accident that the "directionless violence" is performed against an analogue for Donald Trump by a mob holding signs calling him a fascist and saying "eat the rich." The Joker may himself be apolitical, but his actions are read as a symbol of revolution by the populace; a revolution that the film very directly agrees with.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Case in point.

People aren't exactly confused by what this movie is trying to say. It's about as subtle as a sign getting smashed over your head (if you'll pardon me being glib). It's saying "eat the loving rich and powerful before they eat you," and people are getting this, even across language barriers. Even fuckin' chuds are getting it (and proceeding to get pretty mad at the movie).

This movie whips scrote, god drat.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

Chuds love this movie and consider it the answer to the “forced diversity” of the MCU (their words).

I have a weird feeling they're not actually watching it and are doing the same poo poo they did with Alita. Whenever I see a review of the movie that's clearly from someone chuddy who actually watched it, they're mad as gently caress that it's mean to rich people and that it empathizes with a man who isn't bootstrapping himself up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
None of those movies are really bad; Avatar is the worst of the three and it's still, like, fine, just kind of forgettable and clumsy. V for Vendetta is a solid enough adaptation of an amazing comic, and Joker, as I mentioned, whips loving rear end.

The common thread there isn't quality, though; it's hammer-blunt "gently caress THE RICH" messaging. Which makes it hilarious that the intelligentsia of the internet are PBFing it so goddamn hard.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a movie that flat out says beating the poo poo out of cops and killing rich people is funny.

loving exactly. Like, this is really not a particularly subtle movie about what the audience is intended to take away. It's one of the loudest, angriest and most direct movies in this regard I can think of.

e: I'm actually really curious if Todd Phillips has dealt with the intersection of poverty and severe mental illness himself, or if he knows someone who has, because it felt too loving real at times with how Arthur is portrayed. It's kind of genuinely amazing how this movie manages to be both violently, homicidally angry at those in power, and deeply empathetic for their victims, even when those victims themselves do lovely things.

Like, I feel like the framing of the violence is instructive here. When Arthur kills a rich and powerful person, it's handled like something like Natural Born Killers, with the camera and score and aesthetics trying desperately to get your adrenaline pumping the way his is. The subway murder scene is anxiety-attack-inducing. When he kills his mother, or the asshat clown, though, it's not framed the same way: it's just a raw act of violence, the poor eating their own, with the film taking a much more detached view of the violence to make this clear.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 4, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

How did Murray betray him?

Arthur had built Murray up in his head as an ersatz father figure, someone who would mentor him and give him a path to acceptance in the comedy world. When he actually gets Murray's attention, it's decidedly not this: Murray puts him up as a figure to mock and disdain, someone who has no path to acceptance and isn't even deserving of the thought. This pisses Arthur off pretty bad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Has anyone thought that Arthur was never actually the real joker? Just a mental patient in a psych ward who hears about a guy dressed as a clown commiting crimes from the news and TV and just gloms onto the idea that he’s the joker?
And it’s happening in all the other wards to the other patients,the real joker’s out there somewhere,a jack nicholson type or a heath ledger type,maybe even a caeser romero type,depending on which patient you ask and what mood they’re in.
Like a mass hysteria for mental patients.

he's the jokah baby

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

I genuinely think The Joker is a better movie than Taxi Driver, because I genuinely think that Phoenix is a better actor than De Niro.

eeeehhhhh

i rewatched Taxi Driver not too long ago with Joker still reasonably fresh in my mind, and I'd honestly say it's just kind of a wash between the two

like, outside of the basic plot of "isolated weirdo turns to violence," they're not actually super similar movies and Bickle isn't a super similar character to Fleck. the best way I can sum up the difference is in how the two relate to the world around them; Bickle's isolation is something he deliberately feeds out of disdain and hatred for the world around him, only occasionally seeing someone as a "bright spot" that he's willing to come out of his shell for. meanwhile, Fleck craves connection and enmeshment with other people; his isolation is absolutely not self-induced, but the product of everyone around him having a bizarre instinctive hatred of him, and either seeing him as a novelty or as an easy target.

Bickle's isolation spirals into delusions of grandeur, where he's the one hero in a city of monsters; Fleck, meanwhile, turns to violence as a last-ditch hail mary to try and make his life matter, at all, beyond just being a target for others.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
really Joker has more in common with Neon Genesis Evangelion than it does with Taxi Driver, thematically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

McSpanky posted:

Joker committing crimes while maintaining the six foot rule and proper hygiene.

i could actually genuinely see this, because a common trait of the Joker in comics and non-Joaquin-Phoenix depictions is that he's always looking for some weird new gimmick to change things up

committing social distancing crimes would be pretty on-brand for him, either simply because the challenge makes it funnier, or because he straight-up doesn't want to get COVID (the Joker having occasional "sane" viewpoints and ideas is always funny as gently caress when it happens)