Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I enjoyed this movie, but I think I respected it more than I actually liked it. Every mistake it made either fixed itself in the film or after I though about it more.

Spoilers for absolutely everything. So don't read.

For example: The biggest mistake was that the love interest piece was forced and unrealistic, but that's how a love interest is in every movie so I let it slide because movies suck. But then you learn that it's just another one of Arthur's false memories at the same time he learns it himself. It worked out well because all of his other daydreams/false memories were portrayed quickly, and as if he was at least partially aware of them. So the film fixed itself because it was never really broken from that aspect.

I originally didn't like the Murray Live scene either because Joker wasn't the menacing presence I thought he would be at that point. He's nervous, and it looks like a loser trying to pull of a Joker type stunt. But that probably makes the scene better because he's not completely gone yet, and he is just a loser trying to pull off a Joker type stunt.

I didn't feel like he was the Joker until the very last scene, but I like the potential version that I imagined. I get the impression that Arthur has come to believe that his actions have no real consequences to him because he understands his illness and accepts that he can never really know if anything he does is actually happening in reality.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JOHN SKELETON posted:

The two comedian guys coming over to talk to Arthur in his apartment is a good scene until Arthur is laying on the floor and the little person is trying to get away, and suddenly there's like a comedic beat and the tone makes no sense anymore. What am I supposed to be feeling here?

You're supposed to be nervous that the longer the dwarf is forced the linger, the more likely that Arthur will change his mind and kill him. That was the most tense scene in the movie for me.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

H13 posted:

I think to summarise my gripes.

This wasn't so much of a Joker, fall-from-grace into nihilistic, evil genius character as it was watching a mentally ill guy doing bad stuff because he got dealt a bad hand.

AKA: They kinda turned the Joker into somebody who fits the profile of most typical spree shooters. Which is topical and all, but doesn't quite fit that "Joker" niche.

I mostly agree with your analysis, but I also really liked that.

I think it was a generic "society" and "mental illness" story, but I liked that because it was trying to be just grounded enough to seem realistic in the most extreme circumstances.