Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
joaquin phoenix saved the movie from being terrible. i think he was absolutely incredible. normally i'm not really impressed by actors doing radical diets or workouts to change their body for a role (especially with how dangerous it can be) but with phoenix i think it worked because his clothes would hang off him weirdly sometimes. when he had his shirt off it was painful to watch him and it almost looked like his body was in agony.

it had a lot of contrasts, which was good but it was also really conflicted and inconsistent in ways it didn't mean to be. i was mad that it could have been much, much, much better if it hadn't taken itself so seriously in thinking it also had to say something. i mean the main character's name is Art how corny is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

man i didnt like the shoehorned comic book references (the alley, joker bloodsmile), while i assume other people loved them/wanted more.
anyway this movie felt too centrist

yeah stuffing the comic references in at the end hurt it. they could have left it without and it still works and comes off as a proto-joker origin.

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 4, 2019