Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't buy that interpretation just because if the ending is saying that none of what you watched actually happened, what was the loving point? Unreliable narration can be used to good effect, but shrugging off the entire plot without revealing any layers underneath isn't that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tulip posted:

It's pretty obvious which parts are Arthur daydreaming and which parts actually happened.

It's also pretty obvious that Arthur isn't 'the joker' in any specific batman move canon but that's b/c it's pretty clear that 'the joker' isn't a singular person and also b/c it isn't seamless with any current batman canon.

I wish the movie hadn't felt the need to nod to Batman continuity as much as it did, even if it wasn't tying itself to any particular version of the character. The alley scene felt out of place to me, and pointing to the inevitability of their rivalry in the future just highlights the weird age difference between them. If the movie's not canon, none of that poo poo matters, but I guess this makes selling it easier to people with a terminal case of comic book brain.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

It took like 5 years for people to realize Ledger’s joker was just a 1-1 Tom Waits impression, I’m excited for 2026 discourse to be all excited about the kid from Modern Family playing Joker and everyone realizing Phoenix’s Performance is just “Andy Kaufman”

He had plenty of practice cribbing from Kaufman after I'm Still Here.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

I like how much criticism Joker gets for taking inspiration from cool things. "It's just Taxi Driver / King of Comedy / Andy Kaufman... Etc"

...good? Those things are awesome.

They are, but in the case of the Scorcese movies the comparison is unfavorable to Joker. I mean falling short of peak Scorcese obviously isn't the end of the world, since almost everyone will, but having seen the other movies reduces the novelty of Joker for sure. As for Kaufman, I think Phoenix is good enough that pointing out any inspiration doesn't lessen what he did.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Even if Taxi Driver and Joker were otherwise equally good, and I don't think that's true, I think the effort Joker spent (or wasted) on establishing ties with the broader comic book continuity has to take it down a notch. That stuff maybe had to be there to appeal to a broader audience, so I don't think it was a mistake, but it didn't add much to the actual movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm pretty sure Joker said he's not ideological, and that's his name in the title, so any ideology you bring into it is on you.