Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
By the time Bruce becomes Batman, Joker will be an old man

Actually a little touch I liked about Bruce was the quick shot of him sliding down the pole on his playground just like 60s Batman

thepokey fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

ghostinmyshell posted:

We survived our viewing. No one was murdered.

Whew.

I kept getting Taxi Driver vibes from this as well.

And I really enjoyed seeing it with an audience. People were gasping, awwing, and what the loving a whole ton because they were probably expecting some other movie.

Yeah there were kids in my showing. Like actual kids, not just 15-17yr olds...cinema was obviously super lax with that and I can only assume they expected a very different movie. Or the parents that took them did.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

JOHN SKELETON posted:

The two comedian guys coming over to talk to Arthur in his apartment is a good scene until Arthur is laying on the floor and the little person is trying to get away, and suddenly there's like a comedic beat and the tone makes no sense anymore. What am I supposed to be feeling here?

I actually quite liked that... it feels like the sort of thing I'd cringe at but I felt it worked here. I think it worked because while it was played as a joke, it wasn't some wise cracking comment in a dangerous situation which removes all tension. That's a marvel/disney/star wars thing. If the little guy had been like "hey dont just sit there, help a fella out!" in some goofy way then .. ugh. But I felt it fit the Joker's theme of humour in chaos and violence. Or it worked because it wasn't funny to the characters involved or its something that would at least give Joker a smirk

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I guess in my own head forecasting things that "could" happen... I sort of imagined a possible future where whenever Joker makes an inevitable escape from Arkham there is still a large portion of the city who hero-worship him. I imagine this amuses him still and the source of a great joke would be turning his violence on them since he's so far gone by that point, with the public then realising he really was just a monster all along.

Regarding people who say that he hasn't got the smarts and cunning to be the Joker... I get that, which could just be simply that it's a different take on the character again - he might just not be the type who is 10 steps ahead of everyone all the time. But on the other hand I figured that he has the potential to be a whole lot smarter and more cunning than what we see in the movie. Right from the start with the uncontrollable laughing it seemed like the Joker within Arthur was dying to get out. Arthur is socially nervous and hesitant, whereas when we get flashes of him as Joker he's dancing confidently ... how much calmer and confidently he speaks to Murray is another example. That's a guy Arthur idolises and Arthur would be a nervous mess talking to his idol. But Joker was calm and in control. So I figure while this may not be the super smart version we are used to, I think once he shakes Arthur for good and is thinking "clearer" he would come across as a much craftier villain when he's no longer being held back.