Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

man i didnt like the shoehorned comic book references (the alley, joker bloodsmile), while i assume other people loved them/wanted more.
anyway this movie felt too centrist

Main issues:

I think it was possible to figure out that he was delusional about the neighbor without outright saying so; the early talk show scene establishes this

I do think the alley scene is necessary and I was just relieved that they in fact did not have the joker himself kill Batman's parents and I'm glad they got it over with really fast, didn't draw it out.

I don't mind that the movie possesses a muddle of a message. To me the Joker becomes most strongly the Joker when he is just saying whatever he feels like, true or not, and that was well done. As Arthur learns his life is a delusion built on other delusions, eventually he seems to realize that he may as well add more to the pile instead of trying to find out the truth. His final scene on the talk show is just Arthur dying on the show, exactly as he imagined.

The final scene was entirely unnecessary and should have been left out.

Overall a worthwhile inverse origin story.

re: centrism, probably the stupidest thing about the movie ends up being the director saying it has something to say about "wokeness", the movie is almost bereft of any message save 1980s racism/suburban fear of the city

Typhoon Jim fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU