Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Movie was pretty good but flawed. It's kind of in an awkward middle point where it's definitely more thought provoking and vastly better on a technical level than any MCU movie, but doesn't really manage to be a great character piece outside of the comic book context.

Joaquin Phoenix is amazing as everyone knows, but I also really liked the cinematography, set design, and costuming. Everything is kind of dirty and dingy with a vague period piece look. You really believe that this is a nasty shithole of a city.

But - about the negatives:

The pacing is a bit off - like someone said the shootout in the train kinda happens too soon? Like the middle act is a bit slow, hard to put a finger on why it felt like that.

Biggest issue is loving up the execution of key scenes and that awkward fan service.

The love interest stuff doesn't work at all, everything about her except the elevator bit is obviously "off" so you can guess it's not real. Then the reveal still tries to make a big deal about itself with awkward flashbacks.

All the stuff with Bruce shouldn't have been there, brings nothing to the movie except people can say "hey that's Batman!" I dunno, maybe they could have done something with Thomas getting pissed at Arthur for coming near Bruce but it's just so clumsy. If you had never seen a Batman movie and never heard of Bruce Wayne you'd be like, why the gently caress are they focusing on this kid all of a sudden? The alley murders are just embarassing.

The two comedian guys coming over to talk to Arthur in his apartment is a good scene until Arthur is laying on the floor and the little person is trying to get away, and suddenly there's like a comedic beat and the tone makes no sense anymore. What am I supposed to be feeling here?

Finally I just felt annoyed at the climatic interview scene. It feels like too much of a plot contrivance that they wanted to interview some nobody that they got some calls about? We're never shown that Arthur became any kind of anti-comedic sensation outside of that one phone call, so is the whole interview supposed to be a delusion too? I guess that would explain why they let this lunatic rant on live television and didn't just cut the live feed. Eh, whatever.

I liked it a bit more than these gripes might make it seem and will probably do a rewatch at some point, but as a character piece it's not that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

There is nobody watching this movie who hasn't seen a Batman movie or heard of Bruce Wayne.
I know, but I was trying to express that if you just concentrate on this movie's story without the Batman connection, those parts are just unnecessary and distracting. They don't effectively tie in to the story or the themes, they are there just for the fans to get that "I know what that is!" moment. You can do nods like that without it being distracting, like maybe if Bruce was in the background or indirectly referenced, I dunno.

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 5, 2019

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Donovan Trip posted:

That said, can I ask are you not interested at all in this being a jump off point for a new batman trilogy that focuses on the villain? IMO the most compelling thing in every Batman movie is the villain.
I assumed this was just a one-off because Joaquin Phoenix probably wouldn't sign off to do a bunch of sequels, but sure, if there was a sequel that somehow worked well, then retroactively in the context of a series of movies, yeah, those Bruce scenes would probably start to feel more appropriate.

Then again, can you really imagine the setting of this movie suddenly having a guy in a bat suit busting criminals with crazy gadgets? Even the Nolan trilogy level of comic-bookyness would in my opinion feel totally off in this movie's universe. It's like they wrote themselves into a corner, tonally speaking.

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 5, 2019

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

You're supposed to be nervous that the longer the dwarf is forced the linger, the more likely that Arthur will change his mind and kill him. That was the most tense scene in the movie for me.
Huh, interesting that many people felt that scene worked. In the group I watched it with, we all sort of agreed that scene was awkward in the wrong way. Maybe I'll feel different on a rewatch.