Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The Ravens won, but it feels like we lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

The Ravens are revolutionizing offense in the NFL by throwing lots of inerceptions

The first one looked like we should have tried to challenge for PI. The third one was Boyle being useless and not making a catch he got both his hands on. The second one was admittedly an awful pass and decision by Jackson.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I love the contrast of these two posts and bird avatars appearing back to back.

Basically the reason is because "we won" will be used to excuse what was a horrid performance by the team and a near loss to a backup and a 3rd string QB. We found what we were looking for in the mess this week. But it's only a matter of time before we don't, and then drop a game to the 0-5 Bengals or something to that degree.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Maybe the most disturbing thing about the Ravens game was how after the Mason Rudolph injury, the cart wouldn't start. So they picked him up and had him walk off the field. I don't understand that. Do they not have a stretcher anywhere in the building they can't put him on and carry him out??

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Yeah the first one wasn't Lamar's fault, I didn't see the other two

The third one was particularly stupid. It was a decent throw to nick boyle in a tough spot that he got both his hands on while going backwards and falling down but he bobbled it. and the steelers player grabbed it. But the thing was, the ball hit the ground while it was in the Steeler guy's hand, AND MOVED!! This was clear on the replay. BUT THEY DID NOT OVERTURN IT! Just the stupidest thing. The rules guy came on and basically said yeah I can't understand for the life of me why that was upheld, it was clearly an incomplete pass.

So basically Nick Boyle being useless as usual as well as the refs making a baffling decision to not overturn a ball that clearly hit the ground and bounced up in the guy's arm.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Intruder posted:

Winning ugly is more fun than losing when playing well don't @ me

I'm atting ya! And it can be. It depends on the context. Like if we're playing well week to week but we have one lousy game and we come out of it? That's ok with me and I'm not worried about it. But if we've been looking shaky and we have a game like this then yeah I'm still frustrated. I feel like we are regressing offensively each week. And it's early in the season. So these problems are going to get worse if we don't do something about it.

If we have a tough loss where we look generally good and still have a strong record then I wouldn't worry about that.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sometimes a pick that seems so bad is actually good. Like Ed Reed in Baltimore. Seemed like exactly the wrong pick when we made it. But turned out to be a beloved Hall of Famer.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

not sure what happened to the Ravens downfield passing attack but it seems to be gone forever.

It's what happens when you base your entire passing offense around 3 big white TEs, two of which suck.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Arkhams Razor posted:

I think a larger issue is that the line isn't strong enough to push around stronger defensive fronts, resulting in those teams not needing to overcommit resources to stopping the run and putting Jackson and the receivers in positions they aren't good enough to consistently escape from. The entire offense is predicated on that mindset, and I don't think the talent is there for them to try anything else.

Jackson is getting swarmed on every passing play this is true. And it affected his ability to be a pocket passer in this game especially.

This team is not good and is not built very well.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Arkhams Razor posted:

I think it has a good idea of how it wants to be built, but is still in the process of transitioning, at least on offense. The biggest problem is the defense going to poo poo, which was supposed to make the current level of offensive output sufficient.

Fingers crossed!! The D definitely seems like a big oversight. They had to realize how much of an impact Weddle Mosley and Suggs all leaving at once might cause. And Zadarius Smith was apparently pretty strong of a player too. But seems like he took a big leap this season from what he was.

We just always have these problems with the offensive line. I have to think other teams have similar problems on the offensive line but still make things work. I don't imagine there's too many teams out there with 5 good players. Most have one or two duds that they just have to work around. At least I would think that. Maybe not accurate. So that's why I just don't like eternally using the excuse of the offensive line for not having our poo poo together.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Too bad! Although I can't say for certain that his apparent ineffectiveness is the result of his own talent. I saw some analyst guy article headline say that it wasn't, but I didn't look into it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

It's cool that there have been multiple completely unnecessary helmet to helmet hits that cause significant injuries that only draw a flag

It didn't even draw a flag until they saw it KO'ed him. Then the ref decided to throw it

Yet later another player was flagged later for grabbing the QB's feet as he threw the ball. Not even diving low, just grabbing them as Jackson threw and then he fell.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 7, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

These guys are pro-caliber athletes so there's probably a decent black knight-type streak in most of them. So that's why I think they should take every precaution in these types of situations. Rudolph looked like he was literally knocked silly after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Didn't Pittsburgh used to have some bizarre rule about "no players on crutches on the sidelines" or something? What if some brainiac were like "hey i have an idea, let's have him walk off the field and build the legend for our new QB"

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 7, 2019