Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is a neutral oil a good substitute for ghee when making halwa?

I’m far from an expert on Indian cooking but if halwa is what I think it is, I don’t think you can substitute anything; ghee is fundamental to the flavour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah normally, I am vegan however so ghee is out of the question. Lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah normally, I am vegan however so ghee is out of the question. Lol

There's a substitute made with hydrogenated vegetable oil, but it's not very healthy and it's kind of fallen out of favor even here in India because of the health concerns. The sale volume is still large, though.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m far from an expert on Indian cooking but if halwa is what I think it is, I don’t think you can substitute anything; ghee is fundamental to the flavour

Nah, neutral oil is fine. The amount of sugar it calls for drowns out the taste of any fat you add. It’s fine.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
So the other night I followed whats probably my 1000th YouTube video on how to cook a curry (some sort of chickpea thing) and as always happens with my Indian cooking it tasted awful (basically just of chickpeas). I can cook pretty solid euro/thai/chinese/south american etc cuisine, but after following what feels like 100s of recipes in books, on tv, YouTube etc I just can't cook a decent Indian curry for the life of me. They're not bland necessarily, they just never have any flavour from the spices.

So I am pleading help, because I am desperate.

How much salt should I be adding? Do I need to add more salt than with other types of cooking? tbh I try to avoid using much salt
Do I need to use lots of fat? I tend to be pretty sparing with that as well
What are some decent brands for spices, and how important is it to buy them over regular shop brands?
Any general tips/do's/dont's for getting the most flavour from whatever spices you use?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Maybe you just don't like the cuisine? Do you fry the spices in oil/ghee at the start?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I love Indian food and eat it at least a few times a month, also if I use pre-prepared pots and pastes they turn out ok. It's just when I do them myself from scratch that they're terrible. Not bad tasting, they just don't have any of the spicy & aromatic flavour that restaurant and a few friends cooking have.

I've tried dry toasting them, frying them in oil & ghee, and not doing anything. I generally follow all the recipes to the letter as well, quantities and methods.

I think it's a curse.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

toiletbrush posted:

So the other night I followed whats probably my 1000th YouTube video on how to cook a curry (some sort of chickpea thing) and as always happens with my Indian cooking it tasted awful (basically just of chickpeas). I can cook pretty solid euro/thai/chinese/south american etc cuisine, but after following what feels like 100s of recipes in books, on tv, YouTube etc I just can't cook a decent Indian curry for the life of me. They're not bland necessarily, they just never have any flavour from the spices.

So I am pleading help, because I am desperate.

How much salt should I be adding? Do I need to add more salt than with other types of cooking? tbh I try to avoid using much salt
What are some decent brands for spices, and how important is it to buy them over regular shop brands?
Any general tips/do's/dont's for getting the most flavour from whatever spices you use?

Recipes from books and websites should be tested and good, so I don’t know what’s up there, but I almost always alter video recipes.

The casual, real time follow along type videos seem to always underestimate the amounts used. They’ll be like “add the coriander, about a teaspoon” and then you’ll see them scoop a heaping spoonful with a normal eating spoon that is probably actually closer to two teaspoons+ worth of coriander.

This should be a really easy problem to test a solution for though. Take that chickpea recipe that you thought was bland, and just triple the spices, nothing else. Does it taste good to you now? If not, add a little more salt and taste. Good? No? Add a little more salt. Keep doing that until it actively tastes salty and you don’t want to eat it.

If the additional spices and salt approaches don’t result in something that tastes good to you, you just may not like Indian food (or that recipe, at least).

Edit: Yeah, if you know you like Indian food, the recipes you are following are probably underestimating the spices, or you aren’t using enough salt. Salt is the magic powder that makes stuff taste more.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 19, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The restaurants are using mixes like Shan

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

toiletbrush posted:

To taste. You can use a recipe as a guideline for if you want something more precise.

toiletbrush posted:

Nope.

toiletbrush posted:

Whatever your local ethnic market is selling is likely fine. Indian/Pakistani, Mexican, and Middle Eastern markets are the ones that will typically have the spices you need. Whether it's important to buy them over regular shop brands depends on if the spices in your regular shop are really old and flavorless, which depends on how often people buy them.

toiletbrush posted:

If you're not grinding your own powders I recommend you start doing that; it makes the results much more flavorful. Most Indian spices get fried in fat at some point in the recipe, so if you aren't doing that for any of them, maybe find another recipe.

In general it would help to see what recipe you're using. You could also try some of the recipes in the OP or something to see if they are more your speed.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Ok. I think your issue is that you’re trying to do like a multi step recipe when you haven’t mastered the simple crap yet.

Start with a daal tarka. It’s a pot of daal, cooked in water until it’s tender. You salt the daal generously while it cooks. Then, you add cumin seeds that have been fried in oil. You add that to your pot of daal, and let it all come together for a couple minutes, and serve.

Hold on, I made a video for this.

https://youtu.be/tW19shpbXqY

So basically you do that one. If you want to go even simpler, use a can of beans. It’s all of a couple of ingredients, and not a lot of faff.

Then, you make it a few times until you’re comfortable making it with any bean. My philosophy is that if you can’t make a good simple daal tarka that only has one or two spices, don’t move up to something else yet, because you’re learning how Indian food reacts with Indian spices. Throw in too many variables, and it will get frustrating. In the daal tarka, you either need more salt, or more fried cumin, both of which are pretty easy to adjust.

Then, when you’re happy there, move on to the tarka daal with aromatics:

https://youtu.be/bQOLVFEa_W4

Just one step up, and there’s already so many more ingredients to juggle. Bear in mind that Indian food gets its taste from a bunch of things: spices, aromatics, and the ingredient itself. Good food shouldn’t taste of the spices. The spices are there to enhance your ingredients, not cover them up. Substandard restaurants use pre-made mixes in massive quantities, because they’re using pre-made mixes. If they were using fresh ground, they’d go easy on the spices, because the spices are strong and aromatic. Old spice blend that’s sat on a boat for several weeks won’t be nearly as potent. So they cover by heaving more spices in.

Home cooking isn’t meant to be that heavily spiced. It’s supposed to be more subtle. It’s line comparing what you’d eat at Sizzler to what your mom would make at home. Both are still examples of American foods, but home cooking isn’t going to be that extreme with all the things.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

what did you do to that daal to get your video age restricted?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Lord Bude posted:

what did you do to that daal to get your video age restricted?

I have no idea how Youtube works, but a lot of homophobes will brigade gay peoples' videos, and do all kinds of crap to it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fyi, your "just make a tarka" post got me to buckle down and, faced with a small pile of blanched cabbage, just did a simple ghee cumin seed pinch of hing then tossed the cabbage in. It was delicious, I should do super simple more often.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dino. posted:

I have no idea how Youtube works, but a lot of homophobes will brigade gay peoples' videos, and do all kinds of crap to it.

Really? That’s gross.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I forgot how much I love a simple boiled potato. Or steamed broccoli. Or pan seared tofu. Salt, pepper, done. It’s so good.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anybody have recommendations for a video tutorial for Biryani?

I’ve made several and they have all been dry, boring failures, except for the one recipe which called for the rice being mixed together with the other ingredients instead of layered.

So I guess the issue is that when I do layered Biryani, the rice is no good. I figure there’s some basic mistake I’m making.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dino. posted:

I forgot how much I love a simple boiled potato. Or steamed broccoli. Or pan seared tofu. Salt, pepper, done. It’s so good.

This and your video above led me to go hog wild on vegan tarka dishes for supper - beets and potatoes, greens, green beans, and a brown lentil dal. Made a slightly different one for each, and all of the veg and aromatics came from the garden. I'm sure I'm not traditional here, but I discovered that mint instead of curry leaf makes a great potato tarka.

So... Thanks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Actually dino if you ever feel like posting about particular spices and their uses I'd be into that. I've learned a lot from you over the years but I feel as if that's the hill I need to climb to get to the next level - learning to be more deliberate than "cumin, coriander.... Uh... What else do I have here.... Mustard? Cardamom? Chiles and turmeric... Ok aromatics... "

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'll make a thread, Common. Maybe then we can all share our ideas about what works with what spice?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dino. posted:

I'll make a thread, Common. Maybe then we can all share our ideas about what works with what spice?

Here or there I'm happy to participate

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I know the term curry is sometimes hotly debated here, so I thought some of you might enjoy this article:
The Last Word on Curry

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm interested in making pazham kanji, a South Indian fermented rice dish where you basically just leave cooked rice out overnight. Two questions for anyone who knows anything about this:

1. Can I do it with most/any kinds of rice? Or just some special sorts?

2. Is this going to make me sick? The typical advice you get about rice in, say, the US is to toss it if you leave it out at room temperature for more than a little while. Obviously this dish is basically the opposite of that advice: the whole point is to leave it out. So...?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Pazhaiya saadam (cooked rice soaked in water overnight to keep it from going off) is generally made with Ponni rice. You don't use basmati, because basmati's starches crystallise at cooler temperatures, and the texture is hella gross. Ponni, regular long grain, or sona masonri all work for cooked rice that you leave in water overnight. Your mileage may vary, but it's something I ate all my life as a kid (generally with yoghurt the day after), and it's never caused me stomach bother.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I saw this recipe, which uses a tadka:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/khichdi

It says to remove the cumin seeds immediately and then add the other stuff.

What's the philosophy here? Is it just a matter of taste? Fried crunchy cumin is good IMO and I see plenty of other recipes, including my favorite chana dal recipe, that starts with fried cumin along with all the other stuff right at the beginning.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It says to remove the whole thing from the heat, not the cumin seeds. You take it off the heat because once it's hot enough to pop the cumin seeds, that much fat will stay hot enough to cook the rest of the stuff you add, even once you take it off the heat, and if you leave it on the heat it will probably start to burn the cumin seeds and maybe the other stuff you add too.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Wow. I can't believe I misread that. Thanks!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I cooked this pair for dinner last night and they came out pretty great.

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/masoor-dal-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-36819

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/aloo-baingan-masala-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-37716

My only complaint is that the potatoes (I used russet) were sort of hard and flavorless. I followed the cooking times in the recipe, but the potatoes just weren't progressing and at a certain point my onions and garlic were almost burning so I had to move on and add the tomatoes. I'm used to potatoes being totally tender and the sauce infusing a great flavor all the way through, so I'm not sure whether I used the wrong variety or cooked them incorrectly.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's unfortunate! If you don't mind possibly mushy eggplant, that's a dish where you can add water at the end as cook as long as you want, basically, covered or uncovered depending on what you want the final texture to be like. So that can be a way of remedying underdone potatoes. And of course for the future you can cut them smaller or pre-cook them a bit (microwave is easiest).

drk
Jan 16, 2005
bought some chana dal by accident looking for yellow peas, made chana dal instead

was very good with some brown rice

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Experimental stuff:

1.) Does anyone ever add achiote to dal for color? I get sad when orange lentils turn to yellow dal.

2.) Does anyone ever hybridize dal + meat curry? Kind of like standard (non-Texas style) chili? Are there any particular reasons not to? I've added some chana dal and moong dal to chicken curries before, mostly to sub for the lack of rice texture as I go low(ish)-carb.

3.) Since goat can be difficult to scrounge up, what are the options for beef and pork? Am I going utterly mad for considering an osso bucco curry?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I used to eat a lot of chicken+chickpea curry. It works pretty well.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

FaradayCage posted:

3.) Since goat can be difficult to scrounge up, what are the options for beef and pork? Am I going utterly mad for considering an osso bucco curry?

Beef curry isnt common in Indian cooking for cultural/religious reasons, but its reasonably common in Japanese curry and is quite good in my opinion

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've had plenty of beef curries from Muslim areas.

I don't usually mix a dal with meat, but just today I had a mustardy black bean dal and a screaming hot chana masala and had some leftover smoked brisket on the side, which I happily dipped in the gravies for either

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I'm in the market for low carb recipies, does any one have any good Indian ones? We love the cuisine, but can't do the carbs anymore.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SpannerX posted:

I'm in the market for low carb recipies, does any one have any good Indian ones? We love the cuisine, but can't do the carbs anymore.
I think pretty much any vegetable recipe should work? I don't know what does and doesn't have carbs but as long as you're not making something with besan, there are very few carby things that typically go in Indian vegetable recipes, except the vegetables if any vegetables have carbs.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

SpannerX posted:

Do meat curries work?

I've tried two chicken curry recipes so far and this was my favorite:

https://simmertoslimmer.com/indian-chicken-curry/

If you're doing keto, leave the skin on the drumsticks.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think pretty much any vegetable recipe should work? I don't know what does and doesn't have carbs but as long as you're not making something with besan, there are very few carby things that typically go in Indian vegetable recipes, except the vegetables if any vegetables have carbs.
I'm looking for something to pair with what would be the main dishes instead of the usual things such as rice, roti, and say an aloo gobi. On that note I think I should try out sag dishes now that I've thought about it.

FaradayCage posted:

Do meat curries work?

I've tried two chicken curry recipes so far and this was my favorite:

https://simmertoslimmer.com/indian-chicken-curry/

If you're doing keto, leave the skin on the drumsticks.

Thanks, may give that one a try.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 8, 2023

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SpannerX posted:

I'm looking for something to pair with what would be the main dishes instead of the usual things such as rice, roti, and say an aloo gobi. On that note I think I should try out sag dishes now that I've thought about it.
Ah well unfortunately the main "dishes to pair with things" categories in India are carbs, salads, and pickles. I would say don't worry about it. Not everything needs a pairing! If you want to eat fewer carbs you don't always have to replace them with something. You could try cauliflower rice or any of the other typical low carb replacements but I don't know how good those taste since I've never tried them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Most dals and curries I just eat sliced cucumber as a side, if I even bother. But if you want something like rice...

Cauliflower rice rarely works as the carb replacement I want it so be. Cauli mash works a lot better.

Shirataki noodles work well if you cook them the right way: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/how-to-cook-and-like-shirataki-noodles

I also use bean sprouts with great success.