Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
If you appreciate fennel with Indian food you may like several Kashmiri recipes - they have some with quince and eggplant (both in season), lotus and yogurt, Kashmiri dum aloo, etc that really emphasize fennel as a warming spice. Gujarat also has some good ones. Fennel is a nice offbeat adai filling too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
question: when you eat curry do you tend to sort of take the rice out of the cooker and the curry and then sort of mix it all together in a bowl, or do you keep the curry and rice separate and then get a little bit of both on a big spoon/fork

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The gently caress's a curry?

Or, slightly more helpfully: I do both, and those aren't even the only two options. Sometimes I'll keep them separate and eat them together not with a spoon or a fork but with roti or another sort of flatbread.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TychoCelchuuu posted:

A miserable pile of secrets

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Butler and/or alternate history Soviet premier

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My favorite curry:

https://mobile.twitter.com/notthetimcurry/status/1047885170051833857

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm being a bit of an rear end in a top hat about curry because it annoys me when people refer to all Indian food as "curry" and especially when they think that all Indian food is something in a soupy gravy, but, like, the word does pop up sometimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTnQvdh7ofk

Only in the English title, though!

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
So I have the following ingredients
Fresh spinach
A handful of button mushrooms
A handful eggplant, a handful of zucchini,
Onions, garlic, fresh ginger,.
Lentils.

For spices
Garam masala powder
Cumin powder
Turmeric powder
Curry powder
Cayenne powder
Smoked paprika powder
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Chili flakes
Whole caraway.

So I'm thinking saute onions, shrooms, zuch, eggplant w garlic and ginger.
Add cumin, turmeric, chili flakes, caraway,
Add spinach.
Add cooked lentils.

How does that sound?
Any step I'm missing?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

vuk83 posted:

So I have the following ingredients
Fresh spinach
A handful of button mushrooms
A handful eggplant, a handful of zucchini,
Onions, garlic, fresh ginger,.
Lentils.

For spices
Garam masala powder
Cumin powder
Turmeric powder
Curry powder
Cayenne powder
Smoked paprika powder
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Chili flakes
Whole caraway.

So I'm thinking saute onions, shrooms, zuch, eggplant w garlic and ginger.
Add cumin, turmeric, chili flakes, caraway,
Add spinach.
Add cooked lentils.

How does that sound?
Any step I'm missing?

You have a pretty good veg curry going for you.

I'd alter the order of things to bring out the spices more. Salt your eggplant and let it draw out the bitterness, then rinse. Sweat your onions, then add spices (minus garam masala) to let them bloom + caraway seeds. Add finely chopped garlic and ginger. Then add spinach and soften, then add the rest of your veggies. Add garam masala. Once they have a bit of color, add some liquid. Simmer and then add your cooked lentils and let the flavors mingle. Finish with more chopped ginger and cilantro/fresh coriander.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Afriscipio posted:

You have a pretty good veg curry going for you.

I'd alter the order of things to bring out the spices more. Salt your eggplant and let it draw out the bitterness, then rinse. Sweat your onions, then add spices (minus garam masala) to let them bloom + caraway seeds. Add finely chopped garlic and ginger. Then add spinach and soften, then add the rest of your veggies. Add garam masala. Once they have a bit of color, add some liquid. Simmer and then add your cooked lentils and let the flavors mingle. Finish with more chopped ginger and cilantro/fresh coriander.

Thx.
I ended up doing a dahl w the zuch, some red bell pepper I forgot I had, plus a doing a spinach thing w the shrooms and eggplant.
Store bought naan and pappadum and a lot of fresh vegs.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
How are indian pickles supposed to be eaten? I bought some lime and mango pickles and, man, did not expect them to be so salty and strongly flavoured.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

virinvictus posted:

How are indian pickles supposed to be eaten? I bought some lime and mango pickles and, man, did not expect them to be so salty and strongly flavoured.

A dab on the side of rice dishes that need zing. Or smeared lightly on a dosa.

\/\/\/:horseradish straw falls from mouth: What now? \/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 20, 2019

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

virinvictus posted:

Like mustard or horseradish! It’s the heavy flavour hit.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

I made saag paneer for the first time yesterday. Everything from scratch, including the paneer and yogurt. It's ugly as hell, but tastes pretty fine for a middle aged white lady.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

virinvictus posted:

I mean, the OP warned you! You can eat a bit of them with basically anything. In addition to the options mentioned already, some people like them with parathas.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

virinvictus posted:

I quite like them in sandwiches, ones that would otherwise be 'just a sandwich' like deli turkey. I mostly use Patak's because it's whats easily available but there was an incredible one I got years ago, assuming that I always would be able to, and now I don't remember the name and I'm mad about it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

dinahmoe posted:

I made saag paneer for the first time yesterday. Everything from scratch, including the paneer and yogurt. It's ugly as hell, but tastes pretty fine for a middle aged white lady.

Youre supposed to make it out of spinach, not people :ohdear:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Grand Fromage posted:

Any good sources for Malaysian Indian? I dunno if it's even a variant or just South? Indian food that happens to be in Malaysia but everything I had there was amazing.

Malaysian Indian food is pretty cool and good (I go to Malaysia every couple of years) but and it runs the range from "unmistakably traditional Indian food" (Dal etc.) to "OK, this is just what Malaysian Indians eat now I guess" (Mamak Mee, which is just a different Mee Goreng).

You mostly get it from a food court style environment, it's insanely cheap even for Malaysian food, and they never, ever close, all of which are great. The restaurants are known as "Mamak", which is also the name of the ethnic group of Indian Muslims who live in Malaysia and make up a fairly sizeable contingent of the population. This sounds racist but I dunno.

Some of the best food in Malaysia is Mamak such as Roti Canai and assorted variations. Usually comes served with the worlds thinnest yellow Dal and some sambal. I get this at every opportunity when there usually. Mamak Mee is very popular too, mostly similar to typical Malaysian stir fry but most have some kind of sweet soy (kecap manis) and tomato in there which makes it a bit different. May be made with 2 minute noodles, and this is normal and good.

I have in the past tried to find resources for Malaysian Indian food and have been unable to do so. If I find any good resources I'll pass it on!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Finally got a mortar and pestle and made my own spice mix last Sunday. I toasted some black mustard, fennel seed, cumin seed and whole cardamom, transferred it to the mortar and was able to grind it pretty fine. Was a really savory mix in the end, very fresh and made my mouth water just taking a whiff of it. I first used it on a pretty basic potato and lentil dish and it went pretty well.

This weekend, I seasoned some chicken with it and made a chicken-lentil curry that was just amazing, probably one of the best things I've ever cooked. Had some quality vegetable stock on hand that probably helped the overall flavor but I'm proud enough of what I did from scratch in terms of the seasoning. I should have taken a picture, at least on the stove it ended up with a beautiful color to it like butternut squash soup.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I love the Indian umbrella of foods, but I have no talent for making it. Tried to make chicken korma from scratch once and it was stupidly heavy and still kind of bland.

Am I correct in assuming that a dal tarka is basically the following?

- Pressure cook some red lentils
- Fry up some ground spices in oil or butter
- Once the lentils are done, stir in the fried spices and oil
- Season to taste and eat

Because that seems deceptively simple. How do you avoid burning your spices?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Pollyanna posted:

I love the Indian umbrella of foods, but I have no talent for making it. Tried to make chicken korma from scratch once and it was stupidly heavy and still kind of bland.

Am I correct in assuming that a dal tarka is basically the following?

- Pressure cook some red lentils
- Fry up some ground spices in oil or butter
- Once the lentils are done, stir in the fried spices and oil
- Season to taste and eat

You fry whole spices, not ground ones.

If your Indian food is coming out bland, add more salt and spices. It's much heavier on spice quantities than seems reasonable.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Also, red lentils cook super fast, you don’t need a pressure cooker for them.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Split red lentils don't take long, whole red lentils you should probably pressure cook.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pollyanna posted:

By not cooking them on too high of a heat or for too long.

Another technique is to remove the pan from the heat when you add the spices. This is a good idea if you use an electric stove, or if your gas stove gets hot enough.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Ground spices will benefit from being added to hot oil too, but not hot-hot like with whole spices

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm being a bit of an rear end in a top hat about curry because it annoys me when people refer to all Indian food as "curry" and especially when they think that all Indian food is something in a soupy gravy

I dont see the big deal, you see it in the USA too. Texas is known for its stew, New Mexico is known for its green stew, etc

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Great new OP! There was a great post in the previous thread by dino basically taking about how people get fooled into trying to make restaurant style dishes as a first go (made a great comparison to Italian cooking).

I'd love for people to weigh in with "try making these 3-4-5 whatever number dishes first". I know this is it subjective and all but it would help with consuming the maybe amount of information in the OP.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
From the OP:

quote:

Some good dals to start with are the famous dal makhani made with black dal/whole urad dal and kidney beans (rajma); masoor dal which is a split red lentil soup; rajma or kidney bean soup; chana masala (chickpeas) Punjabi style or not; and moong dal aka split mung beans (which are yellow, as opposed to whole mung beans, which are green).

All the other dishes in the OP are also good starter dishes. I consciously only included recipes that are good for people starting out. There's no restaurant style stuff in there except for naan, and because people outside India are obsessed with naan, I figured I might as well include that too.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

vulturesrow posted:

Great new OP! There was a great post in the previous thread by dino basically taking about how people get fooled into trying to make restaurant style dishes as a first go (made a great comparison to Italian cooking).

I'd love for people to weigh in with "try making these 3-4-5 whatever number dishes first". I know this is it subjective and all but it would help with consuming the maybe amount of information in the OP.

Always start with Daal Tarka. I made a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW19shpbXqY

Make besan puda for something a little more fancy, but still hella simple to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLb5QY9Z53s

What I love about that dish is that it's endlessly customisable. At the moment, I've become rather fond of serving it with a side of cranberry chutney. I don't like my chutneys to be too sweet, so I don't add any sugar. Instead, I do a combination of white wine, a bit of orange juice, and water for the cooking liquid for the cranberries. There really isn't much of a ratio; just do enough water to cover the cranberries in the pot. I like my cranberries on the tart side, so I also add a splash of cider vinegar. If you don't like white wine, you can use a hard cider instead. If you don't have OJ, you can skip it and use water instead. If you're out of cider, you can do a combination of vodka or rum or brandy and a splash of cointreau and water. The possibilities are endless. To round out the flavour, add a good hit of freshly grated ginger. To bring some heat, throw in some ground red chilies. If you really do think it's too tart and want it sweeter, add a bit of white sugar. Don't use palm sugar, brown sugar, or any other hippie crap. The molasses flavour interferes with the taste of the cranberry.

The point is that the chickpea crepes are an excellent vessel for whatever veggies you have lying around that you can grate. I've done it before with grated carrot, scallion, and cabbage. I've done it with julienned summer squash, because my friend didn't have a goddamned grater. I personally like the crepes with a bit of hing in there, but that's because I'm South Indian, and we put that stuff into everything.

Make Aloo Peyaj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbm5Ar0fLzk

But when you're in the Indian store do /not/ ask for Kalo Jeere. It's the Bengali word, and even if the store is owned by Bengalis, they will mistake your accent, and think you're asking for Kala Jeera (black cumin) which is a completely different spice. Still delicious, but not the spice they're talking about here. Ask for Kalonji or nigella seeds. If you can't find mustard oil, canola works fine. Also, depending on the type of Bengali person you are, the sugar is optional.

To be honest, the OP is pretty much starter recipes. Go through, and see if there's anything involving ingredients that you already have and that you only need to grab a couple of spices for.

dino. fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 2, 2019

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop
I made a Dhal!

Mung and Coconut dhal from https://www.heynutritionlady.com/mung-bean-and-coconut-curry/ using split mung beans and no turmeric because I'd run out 😭

with quick pickled onion (thin sliced onions in balsamic vinegar and sea salt), shedloads of coriander and garlic pickle. Served with tandoori roti.

So good!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I also did a tarka dal today, and a lovely palak paneer from pushpesh pant's marvellous book :allears:

Here it is being spinached:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

theparag0n posted:

I made a Dhal!

Mung and Coconut dhal from https://www.heynutritionlady.com/mung-bean-and-coconut-curry/ using split mung beans and no turmeric because I'd run out 😭

with quick pickled onion (thin sliced onions in balsamic vinegar and sea salt), shedloads of coriander and garlic pickle. Served with tandoori roti.

So good!

Does the pressure cooker do something to spices? This has a lot of spices for 1 cup of beans.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That recipe is a bit of an odd duck, but 1 cup of dried beans is usually at least 2 to 2.5 cups cooked beans, and so the spice level isn't too insane. You can put a ton of cumin seeds in a recipe before they start to overpower anything, so no worries there. There's quite a bit of ground coriander, but when you add a lot of coconut milk and also a whole can of tomatoes and when you want the main flavor to be coriander, that's not a huge deal. Aside from that there aren't that many spices in there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doesn't seem like that much spice to me either. I love cumin and coriander, I'd probably end up using at least twice as that much.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop
I think I doubled the amount of cumin they asked for, and used a head of garlic and a similar amount of ginger. Didn't bother using the pressure cooker for it because once you include the 10 minutes for bringing it up to pressure and 30 for letting the pressure release slowly, it takes longer than just simmering the dang thing.

Ended up using a whole bunch of coriander leaf in there too because i love that soapy motherfucker.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I realise again I’m thinking of Australian tablespoons, which are bigger.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Sort of related to my last post. There is a large contingent of Indian employees at my company. About once a month they have a big potluck. I'd like to make something to bring next time. What is my best option to not completely embarrass myself?

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

vulturesrow posted:

Sort of related to my last post. There is a large contingent of Indian employees at my company. About once a month they have a big potluck. I'd like to make something to bring next time. What is my best option to not completely embarrass myself?

Something not Indian! They eat Indian things at home already.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

vulturesrow posted:

Anything. Anyone can cook any food. Just follow a recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

vulturesrow posted:

In my experience, Indians have a giant sweet tooth, and the vegetarian ones are forever looking for desserts made without eggs. Unless they're specifically vegan, dairy is fine, but eggs are controversial. If you can knock up something decadent and chocolatey, and manage to avoid eggs, you'll likely have requests to either make it again, or for the recipe. With rare exceptions, Indians tend to ignore the fact that the oven can be used to make baked goods at home. In my family we kept the large dishes in there that wouldn't fit in the cabinet.