Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

dino. posted:

With rare exceptions, Indians tend to ignore the fact that the oven can be used to make baked goods at home. In my family we kept the large dishes in there that wouldn't fit in the cabinet.

Offtopic, but this is the exact opposite of old Finnish cuisine, which is basically: mix literally anything with flour/cream/pork fat, stick it in the oven for six hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Beetroot pachadi (beet, coconut, and yogurt curd), Matanga Erisheri (pumpkin, adzuki bean, and coconut), Basmati, and a big ol smoked sardine.

Not bad for sunday lunch.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Ras Het posted:

Offtopic, but this is the exact opposite of old Finnish cuisine, which is basically: mix literally anything with flour/cream/pork fat, stick it in the oven for six hours

To be honest this sounds pretty amazing to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dino. posted:

In my experience, Indians have a giant sweet tooth, and the vegetarian ones are forever looking for desserts made without eggs. Unless they're specifically vegan, dairy is fine, but eggs are controversial. If you can knock up something decadent and chocolatey, and manage to avoid eggs, you'll likely have requests to either make it again, or for the recipe. With rare exceptions, Indians tend to ignore the fact that the oven can be used to make baked goods at home. In my family we kept the large dishes in there that wouldn't fit in the cabinet.

If someone made me an eggless cheesecake with like a salty mango drizzle I would be their friend for life.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

dino. posted:

Looks like it's heavily leaning towards Tamil Nadu and Kerala with regards to the population there, so it'd be a good place to start your search. A lot of the old aunties have youtube channels where they tell you how to make X or Z, but they're in Tamil or Malayali, but generally the ingredients they'll show in English as well, and the technique is pretty universal. There's English channels for Tamil recipes, but I haven't really bothered looking for them, because I speak Tamil.

EDIT: I stand corrected. There's these two friends who live in Texas (as far as I can gather) who do proper Tamilian food, but speak the recipes in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?kalvenky

I think they'd originally started the channel for their kids who had gone off to college, and wanted to know how to make mom's recipes while they're away, and it grew from there. I've followed a fair few of the recipes when I wasn't able to reach my sister-in-law, mom, or other sister-in-law, because it's like an ungodly hour, and I don't want to wake someone to figure out if ______ gets asafoetida, because it has onion anyways. Because the thing about a lot of the Tamil Brahmin cooking videos on YouTube is that they're working with TamBram neighbourhoods, where the produce stand is on the way home, so you can afford to make a thing with 12 green beans to feed 2 people, because that's all you're buying that day for that meal.

any chance you still have this page saved? The link isn't working. I actually came here to ask the same for Indo Chinese resources but that caught my eye too.

Also, any good recipes for pav bread and any of the curries typically served with it?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
For the pao bread, it's a matter of taste. Some people like very rich, sweet bread (aka Hawaiian rolls) or very rich bread. My own preference is this sort of bread.

As for stuff you serve with it, here are some good options:

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/vada-pav-how-to-make-wada-pav/

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/misal-pav-recipe-misal-pav/

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/masala-pav-recipe-mumbai-masala-pav/

And of course, from the OP, the famous pao bhaji.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
hell of an op, op. good work!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone got recs for a vegetarian Indian cookbook? Hoping to push the envelope in the veg dishes I can cook this year.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I really enjoyed Indian-ish (I don't remember there being many meat recipes).
https://www.amazon.com/Indian-ish-Recipes-Antics-Modern-American/dp/1328482472

But Madhur is always a safe bet:
https://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-India-Journey-Through-Cooking/dp/1101874864

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pollyanna posted:

Anyone got recs for a vegetarian Indian cookbook? Hoping to push the envelope in the veg dishes I can cook this year.
I have gone through a lot of cookbooks and honestly none of them get close to the quality of the websites I list in the OP. I cannot recommend the websites enough. My favorites are Veg Recipes of India, Archana's Kitchen, Manjula's Kitchen, and Veg Recipes of Karnataka. If you must get a cookbook, Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India is good. Also, it's written by a white dude, but this book is excellent.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 2, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I have gone through a lot of cookbooks and honestly none of them get close to the quality of the websites I list in the OP. I cannot recommend the websites enough. My favorites are Veg Recipes of India, Archana's Kitchen, Manjula's Kitchen, and Veg Recipes of Karnataka. If you must get a cookbook, Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India is good. Also, it's written by a white dude, but this book is excellent.

What are your thoughts on Phaidon's INDIA?

To be fair, I have it, but haven referenced it much, but it looks good on my shelf :eng99:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

toplitzin posted:

What are your thoughts on Phaidon's INDIA?

To be fair, I have it, but haven referenced it much, but it looks good on my shelf :eng99:
There are two actually: India The Cookbook and The Indian Vegetarian Cookbook. I haven't read either cuz they're expensive. I'm interested in whether they're any good, though. I've never read any Phaidon books and they all seem pretty impressive.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

There are two actually: India The Cookbook and The Indian Vegetarian Cookbook. I haven't read either cuz they're expensive. I'm interested in whether they're any good, though. I've never read any Phaidon books and they all seem pretty impressive.

Pm me your address and I'll send it over for your consideration. :)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

toplitzin posted:

Pm me your address and I'll send it over for your consideration. :)
I live in India, where there generally aren't such things as addresses, and I don't have PMs either. Thanks for the offer though!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So while I'm waiting on my new veg recipe book, I decided to try making a cabbage "curry" of sorts off the top of my head. I:

- fried minced garlic and sliced onion in a pan
- covered the onion and garlic with a lid until the onions had cooked way down and weren't releasing much water anymore
- added half a teaspoon of garam masala, coriander, cumin, cayenne, tumeric, and generic curry powder
- tossed in a small head of sliced cabbage and about half a cup of water
- covered the lid and cooked the cabbage down as far as it would go, adding water if necessary

The taste is good, though the texture leaves a little to be desired. I feel like it's missing something compared to curries I might get as takeout or at a restaurant. And strangely enough, it tasted a little better after it had cooled down.

That said, it got me to eat an entire head of cabbage for dinner and feel perfectly full, so :golfclap:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Stop calling everything "curry!" Try "sabzi" or "poriyal."

I'm not sure what you mean by "the texture leaves a little to be desired," but since it sounds like you steamed it with a fair amount of water, you probably have discovered why most recipes for cabbage (aside from soup) call for stir-frying or something similar, or otherwise cooking it mostly just with whatever liquid it gives out, rather than adding a bunch of liquid. Cabbage will get pretty soft and mushy on its own if you cook it long enough, and adding water to the process will prolong the cooking and make it softer and mushier without adding any flavor.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

To me the best thing about stir-fried cabbage is the light charring/blistering you can get. Cabbage tends to do that readily if it's not over-crowded and not hit with liquid. It's kind of hard to walk the line between undercooked and overcooked, but you can definitely get a unique and satisfying flavor from the cabbage (kind of like roasted brussels sprouts).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright - I got the Sodha book, so I’ll work through that and wrap my head around what all this stuff is. Thanks!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

My wife made a really nice chickpea curry the other day that was shockingly simple - literally just sweated onions, a can of chickpeas, a can of stewed tomatoes/peppers, about a tbsp of tandoori masala, and about a half cup of milk. Had a really nice balance of spice/sweetness/creaminess, enough sauce to coat the rice, and was surprisingly filling to both of us considering that we're normally in the "if there's no meat it's a side dish" camp. Solid weeknight meal.

Considering adding some shredded chicken thigh next time for added pizzazz

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Stop calling everything "curry!"

absolutely not, it is my right as a white male north american to reduce other cultures' cuisine to a single abstraction

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ChickenWing posted:

absolutely not, it is my right as a white male north american to reduce other cultures' cuisine to a single abstraction

In about a minute we'll have hipster white guys wearing mustaches and polo shirts with half mast lungi mispronouncing 'masala' and shouting about cultural misapproprion while they drink a Bira and ride their lovely bike into a canal

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Suspect Bucket posted:

In about a minute we'll have hipster white guys wearing mustaches and polo shirts with half mast lungi mispronouncing 'masala' and shouting about cultural misapproprion while they drink a Bira and ride their lovely bike into a canal

Is it wrong to refer to literally any spice mix made for a dish as a masala

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
My latest favorite entry in the "everything is curry: white people and Indian food" saga is this recipe by Smitten Kitchen. The author is vaguely aware of the idea that you ought not to just simply label all Indian food "curry" for no good reason except that it seems like something non-white people probably eat, but she does not appear to have any idea why the rule might exist. And so when she needed a name for her Indian-inspired chicken recipe, she thought to herself "well, curry's off the table for some unknown reason, so let me simply pick the only other food which they eat in India: tikka masala." Thus she called her recipe "chicken tikka masala," and was satisfied at her solution for the ten seconds it took for people in the comments section to start piling on by pointing out that the dish is not chicken tikka masala, and so it does not make much sense to call it chicken tikka masala. So she changed the name to chicken curry. Problem solved!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

silvergoose posted:

Probably

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

silvergoose posted:

If you’re in the north, it’s fine. Chai masala is what one puts in masala chai. Chaat masala is what one puts on chaat. Chana masala is what one puts into chana daal. It’s a thing. But, there are multiple regions, and they all call it something else.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Thanks for the awesome thread OP. I made my first dal makhani today and my kids devoured it. My only previous recipes were the boring butter chicken and chicken Tikka masala.

I been wanting to stop in to my local Indo-pak grocer and since I'm in Houston they are everywhere. My spice cabinet is over flowing now and I can't wait to tackle more recipes. I appreciate you taking the time to write this thread up and inspiring me to try something new

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you’re in Houston, Zaytoon Al Aman has excellent customer service and good selection, as well as high turnover.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Thanks for the awesome thread OP. I made my first dal makhani today and my kids devoured it. My only previous recipes were the boring butter chicken and chicken Tikka masala.

I been wanting to stop in to my local Indo-pak grocer and since I'm in Houston they are everywhere. My spice cabinet is over flowing now and I can't wait to tackle more recipes. I appreciate you taking the time to write this thread up and inspiring me to try something new
I'm so glad to hear that you found it helpful! There's a huge world of food waiting and most of it is pretty straightforward to make, now that you've got a spice cabinet stocked up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don’t know if it’s an authentic Indian dish or not but the greatest food known to man is chicken 65.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Saag paneer is my favorite

Question: what proportion of chickpea flour can I put in rotis/chapatis before the texture gets weird?

Edit: basically I'm wondering if I can make something in between papadam and roti/chapati

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 23, 2020

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I picked up some pickled lemons on a whim at my local indian grocer, and the OP is not kidding, these things pack a punch. What's the intended way of eating them? Small bites while eating something else? Dice and mix in with food?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

TheCog posted:

I picked up some pickled lemons on a whim at my local indian grocer, and the OP is not kidding, these things pack a punch. What's the intended way of eating them? Small bites while eating something else? Dice and mix in with food?

I think I asked this before and was told to mix it with rice or other food.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Anyone cook Indian food in a Dutch oven (like a enameled le creuset type one with a lid)? I have a carbon steel wok that I’ve been using for a bit, but I’ve been thinking of changing this for one of those Dutch ovens since they come with a nice lid. I mainly make chicken tikka masala and a few veggie dishes, but having to oil/season this wok is a real pain in the butt.

I’m assuming this should work, but didn’t know if I really needed the high heat the carbon steel can heat up to for some of the curries.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zarfol posted:

Anyone cook Indian food in a Dutch oven (like a enameled le creuset type one with a lid)? I have a carbon steel wok that I’ve been using for a bit, but I’ve been thinking of changing this for one of those Dutch ovens since they come with a nice lid. I mainly make chicken tikka masala and a few veggie dishes, but having to oil/season this wok is a real pain in the butt.
Dutch ovens are fine. The only issue is that since they hold heat really well, when you heat up oil for the tadka, it can be tough to get the right balance without the spices burning. It's probably easier to use the Dutch oven as the main pot and do the tadka in something else, like a saucepan.

Zarfol posted:

I’m assuming this should work, but didn’t know if I really needed the high heat the carbon steel can heat up to for some of the curries.
No, for two reasons. First, there's basically nothing in Indian cooking that requires super high heat. The closest is some of the simpler flatbreads, for which you want a hot surface. Second, "curry" isn't really a thing goddammit.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Dutch ovens are fine. The only issue is that since they hold heat really well, when you heat up oil for the tadka, it can be tough to get the right balance without the spices burning. It's probably easier to use the Dutch oven as the main pot and do the tadka in something else, like a saucepan.

Second, "curry" isn't really a thing goddammit.

100%

I make most of my dishes in a stainless saucier or sauteuse (depending on liquid content and overall quantity) and I love it, the saucier in particular is very similar to a kadai

I have however used cast iron, and I've found that the best way to go is use a small stainless pan to make your tarka, dump it into the heated cast iron, and keep cooking.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

TheCog posted:

Amazing in a tagine

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No, for two reasons. First, there's basically nothing in Indian cooking that requires super high heat. The closest is some of the simpler flatbreads, for which you want a hot surface. Second, "curry" isn't really a thing goddammit.

My husband bought this tadka pan after we went on an Indian cooking course and whilst it doesn't get much use since we cook mainly in steel pans, it's actually really handy to have around.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bollock Monkey posted:

My husband bought this tadka pan after we went on an Indian cooking course and whilst it doesn't get much use since we cook mainly in steel pans, it's actually really handy to have around.

THAAAAATTTS what that is. poo poo, I saw one at Goodwill the other day and was wondering why it looked like I needed it. Didn't buy, but i did get a killer mug for a dollar. I'll go back tomorrow then, see if they still have it. Or maybe more cool mugs.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

THAAAAATTTS what that is. poo poo, I saw one at Goodwill the other day and was wondering why it looked like I needed it. Didn't buy, but i did get a killer mug for a dollar. I'll go back tomorrow then, see if they still have it. Or maybe more cool mugs.

It might also have been a butter melting pot, my parents had a bunch of them for when they make popcorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I WAS INCEPTED