Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best email client
alpine / pine
mail.app
eudora
lotus notes
outlook
thunderbird
mutt
outlook express
squirrelmail
roundcube
horde
View Results

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

This is a thread to talk about what you should use for email service and clients.

What not to use:
----
Google - evil
Microsoft - evil
Your IMAP server in your ~private cloud~ - probably misconfigured and unreliable

What yes to use:
---

Currently I'm using FASTMAIL, I pay $50/yr it's good. The mobile app is actually not good but everything else is fine. Also supports my stupid yubikey.

Happy to take any questions, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the only good mail app is windows 10 mail. all others are trash

what are you liking for mail service provider shaggar

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I stopped using thunderbird because the fastmail web app was good enough for me

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i use thunderbird in part b/c i like having a local copy of my emails. even if my ISP takes a big heaving poo poo or if the host shits the bed or if my account somehow gets hijacked/stolen, i can still reference anything i've previously received.

Referencing old email is of very low importance to me tbf but I should probably do some sort of backup of my email I guess.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

the number people who own their own domain to host their website but still insist on using a gmail address blows my mind.

it offends me

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hed posted:

how many accounts do you get for FASTMAIL at that price op

that's the per user price buddy, our family has only 3 nerds in it so we have 3 users, the rest are still slaves to sergey or whomever is running google these days

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

fifty dollars a year for email

lol

ilu bro but

Jonny 290 posted:

yall know that postfix is open source and you can just like, run your own email server right

what's the emoji for rolleyes that grows forever and ever

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

DuckConference posted:

I've been thinking of trying fastmail but maybe I should use my own domain

but like me@firstlast.com or admin@firstlast.com seems annoying, first@last.com implies that I'm going to provide email service to the whole family or something.

No it doesn't. And if you need and you don't want to be nice just give them email forwarder problem solved

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

if i have more than like 8 emails in my inbox i need to sort by author/subject to be able to easily isolate the ones to purge and google removed this feature for some reason????

fastmail lets you do this

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

email is like the one thing that any downtime is unacceptable to me so I pay someone else to deal with that poo poo

atm fastmail is who I pay, it also includes calendar and notes, even static hosting and custom dns across an arbitrary number of domains. apparently they changed their plans but I’m on an “enhanced” plan which appears to be functionally equivalent to the current “standard” plan except that mine is $100/3yr :agesilaus:

nice

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Did anyone ever use google inbox for more than a day?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I also tried.. It felt like something that would actually help. But ended up not helping, turns out I just like email.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

tags is a fad. I've been waiting 15 years for it to die.

any day now....

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Neslepaks posted:

ive ran my own inhouse mail server since about 1999. suck it, cloudailures

the best time to host your own mail server was 20 years ago. the second best time is today.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

90% of email I receive is advertisements so it makes sense to have an ad company host it and it doesn't make sense to pay for it.

yeah but that 10% might be a really important reminder to tip my uber driver

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I just switched my work computer's outlook to "colorful" mode from dark grey mode.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Smythe posted:

Thoughts? Op?

It’s refreshing

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Just letting everyone know I'm still using fastmail and it's still good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

fart simpson posted:

lol at being so stackholm syndromed from janitoring your own email services that you assume loving up your account is something normal people ever have to deal with

Lol if you think this doesn’t happen to google users