Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Interesting games so far, but the commentary in these videos seems to lag behind fairly consistently. Early in part 3 of PR, you start contemplating taking a Shield card when you've already selected it in the footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I played Void Bastards (it's on Game Pass) and beat it in a single client. I can't help but feel that's against the theme of the game a bit.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

They can't all be winners.
Here's the instruction manual for the game. I like it.

Time to vote on the next game!

Deck Hunter is a roguelike card game. The World of Klanojh has been cursed by Glatta, the Goddess of Anger. Build your deck, make combos, defeat fantasy creatures and help Avery to face the evil and restore the balance!

BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

Control powerful mechs from the future to defeat an alien threat. Each attempt to save the world presents a new randomly generated challenge in this turn-based strategy game.

No I've never played Into the Breach.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Interesting games so far, but the commentary in these videos seems to lag behind fairly consistently. Early in part 3 of PR, you start contemplating taking a Shield card when you've already selected it in the footage.
Weird, that should have been fixed in the Phantom Rose videos. I'll double-check these, thanks. This current one is good as far as I can tell.

Tenebrais posted:

Heat Signaure stuff
That's a good point on Heat Signature, it's been a while so I forgot how that worked.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Sorry Castle of No Escape II was a dud. Still looks like something I might pick up during a steam sale, though.

For the next game I want to see Moss Destruction. Deck games just aren't my jam, and while Into the Breach is amazing it's also pretty well trod ground. I gotta be selfish on this one.

If you really haven't played it, though, definitely pick it up on the side. That goes for everyone reading this, not just Party Bug.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Same as above. Minus to Into the Breach because a quick look probably wouldn't do it justice anyway, plus to Moss Destruction.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gonna vote Into The Breach because it's an unusual take on the roguelike formula.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Well that was a whole lot of bad design decisions. I get that they're going for a vibe of "annoying NES game with bad mechanics that no one remembers fondly" but I'm just not sure exactly why you would aim for such a thing.
I'm also going to have to vote Moss Destruction. Into the Breach is done to death already and I'm sick of deck games.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

CountryMatters posted:

Well that was a whole lot of bad design decisions. I get that they're going for a vibe of "annoying NES game with bad mechanics that no one remembers fondly" but I'm just not sure exactly why you would aim for such a thing.

It's far from uncommon for people to say "I wanna make a game like the ones I used to play" and then throw in mechanics from those games without actually examining whether they were any good to begin with, let alone whether they work with whatever other mechanics are being used. Throw Stockholm Syndrome in the mix and their creation never gets a chance to be fun.

Moss Destruction is actually better looking and sounding than I thought it would be given the title, otherwise was thinking of Into The Breach just because I live under a rock and haven't looked at anyone else's playthroughs on Youtube or whatever.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Moss Destruction is the winner! Going to take a quick first look at it for a little while on stream.

Stream done. Seems like an alright little twin-stick, hopefully I'll be better with a weeks practice.

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 10, 2019

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, I have to say that on paper, Castle of No Escape sounds like a good game. Just in practise, the combat feels too simplistic and the levels too samey... maybe if there were random weapon and armour available like in a regular roguelike, they could have made it more interesting.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

There's no such thing as a bad twin-stick shooter (don't prove me wrong).

It's time to pick a game!

Claim and defend the Tomb of Tyrants against greedy adventurers by matching tiles to build a deadly dungeon full of traps, minions, and more! Whens puyo puyo.

Airheart is a dieselpunk airplane action rogue like game, where every colorful level is built on top of the previous one, all the way up to the stratosphere. Welcome to Granaria, a flying city in the clouds. Meet Amelia - a young pilot and fisherwoman wishing to reach the abundant worlds edge.

Tower of Guns is a fast paced first-person-shooter for the twitch gamer... with a few randomized elements to keep it fresh with each playthrough. It's a short burst "Lunch Break FPS"... not unlike Binding of Isaac mixed with Doom 2

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Airheart

Tower of Guns looks boring, and Tomb of Tyrants is a puzzle game.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
A nifty-looking game, though certainly not for me; I'm godawful at twin-stick shooters. Cannot focus on where I am and where I'm firing at the same time at all.

Airheart definitely looks the most interesting of those three.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Airheart

Tower of Guns looks insanely boring.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I legit enjoy tower of guns but I've already seen all of it so I'd say Airheart too

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

CountryMatters posted:

I legit enjoy tower of guns but I've already seen all of it so I'd say Airheart too

Same, and same

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Make a plane, crash a plane.

Apparently we're taking a break from twin sticks, here are this weeks choices to vote on:

"Infectonator : Survivors" is a Randomized Permadeath Survival Simulator that combines RTS, Tower Defense, Roguelike, and Management-Simulation gameplay. The goal is to lead a group of survivors in a struggle to stay alive and find rescue in a zombie apocalyptic world.

Fight as Heart, an innocent robot fighting to escape the grip of mindless machines in a future where humans are no more. A fast-paced 3D brawler with roguelike elements set in a colorful yet desolated world.

Second Second is a Roguelike card game without drawing cards. Explore randomly generated worlds, defeat monsters, collect valuable cards and add the best ones to your deck. The battles are not based on luck, so prepare to put your skills to the test.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Second Second, by a country mile.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Left for Pixels I mean, Infectonator

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Airheart was neat, but yeah, I can see how the 'always moving forward' thing could be kind of a hassle.

All three look pretty cool, so I'll round out the current votes with Heart & Slash.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Heart&Slash was the winner of the three-way tie! On no!!!

Always remember after the robolution the only sanctioned dances are the robot and the robo boogie.

Possibly decent choices this time. Vote for:

Wayward Souls is a randomly generated action-RPG with a heavy focus on story. Play as seven different heroes, all with their own sets of abilities. Fight through steadily greater hordes of enemies.

This card game combines elements of roguelike and deckbuilding. During the game, you shall strive ahead, gathering cards to build a unique deck and use it to defeat the enemies getting in your way. You will have to choose between escaping or try to defeat Death, who is relentlessly pursuing you.

With its falconry-inspired gameplay & procedurally generated worlds, Eagle Island is set to a beautifully modernized pixel art aesthetic and provides a breath of fresh air to the character platforming genre. Eagle Island is a roguelite, it can be played in either Story Mode (progress) or Rogue Mode (permadeath)

Voting closes on Saturday at midnight (MST).

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Eagle Island for maximum kawaii.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eagle Island
best looking one out of the three.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Eagle Island because I don't hate Party Bug.

Blood Card in particular looks dire. :gonk:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I have heard good things about Wayward Souls in the Android thread (assuming it's the same game) but yeah, Eagle Island definitely looks better.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
The winner is Eagle Island, yaaay.

Apparently there's a story mode the game recommends doing before the rogue mode. Normally I would flagrantly disregard this, but I'm going to do a short stream of it here for those that want a preview.

Stream done!

It looks like I got to the halfway point in story mode.

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 23, 2019

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Throw your birds!

New games for a new year!

Monsters and Monocles is a frantic top-down shooter for 1-4 players. Use teamwork and your arsenal of weapons to defeat the overwhelming hordes of evil, either locally or online. All the levels are procedurally generated with new layouts, objectives, and secrets each time you play.

Aura of Worlds is a creative tactics roguelite platformer. Explore multiple dangerous worlds where you must utilize your creative abilities and wits to twist the environment to your advantage. Finding your way through ever-changing death labyrinths.

For The King is a strategic RPG that blends tabletop and roguelike elements in a challenging adventure that spans the realms. Set off on a single player experience or play cooperatively both online and locally.

Voting closes on Saturday at midnight MST.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

For the King! Think I might even get it myself with the sale on right now.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Seconding For the King!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Eagle Island was pretty nifty! And yeah, I just went and grabbed For The King after looking at it in the vote.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

We've had plenty of platformers and twinstick shooters, so n'thing For The King

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
For The Kiiiing looks pretty great. I am loving the art direction for Eagle Island, its real good.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

This is mandatory viewing.

Asura is an Action Rogue-like set in a fantasy world inspired by the richness of Indian mythology. It features a unique procedural skill tree which changes on every play-through.

Riptale is a challenging 2D roguelike action game aiming to make sword combat be as bloody and impactful as possible. The player collects gems that allow them to execute different attacks in the order of their choosing. All this results in a symphony of combos that fill the screen with blood and guts.

Well it had to come up eventually.

Votes close on Saturday, midnight MST!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Party Bug, could I get a printout of Oyster smiling?

Also, Asura looks kinda fun. Let's see that next. I kinda want to see how a procedural skill tree might work.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Riptale at least has a different aesthetic.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Asura, as I've played it and it's pretty neat.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
The winner is Asura!

Also in about 15 minutes I'm going to be streaming the rest of my current For the King run, and then possibly some first impressions of Asura.

:siren: RIGHT HERE :siren:

The work is done. I forgot to record it so it'll probably never go in the thread proper, but if you want to watch two hours and be disappointed you can check out the vod!

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 19, 2020

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

It feels like it's been a little while since I played a roguelite that allows the kind of broken items and synergies that Asura does, so this was a nice change of pace.

These are the new choices!

This card game combines elements of roguelike and deckbuilding. During the game, you shall strive ahead, gathering cards to build a unique deck and use it to defeat the enemies getting in your way. You will have to choose between escaping or try to defeat Death, who is relentlessly pursuing you.

Buckle up for shoot ‘em up chaos in this fast-paced and hyper-stylized roguelite. As the infamous bounty hunter Black Paradox, it’s up to you to travel through space and defeat the Hellraisers – the most dangerous criminal organization in the galaxy.

Curious Expedition is a roguelike expedition simulation set in the late 19th century. Together with famous personalities you will venture on unprecedented expeditions to regions never explored before for fame, science and treasures.

As always voting closes on Saturday at midnight MST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Curious Expedition has been on my watchlist.