Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
The thread is back! I ended up buying a ton of the ones you showed off in the last thread so I'm hoping to see some more hidden gems in this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Of those three I think Riptale looks the most novel. The others feel like things we've seen plenty of times before

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

ItBreathes posted:

Without getting into the semantics debate, I think the debate itself is spurred on by the facts that Roguelike was a well established genre unto itself long before the emergence of the RogueX phenomenon. One well past its height of popularity (they're ASCII graphics because they're designed to be played on a terminal) and largely maintained by a bunch of masochists, which means those involved are the kind of people to have very strong opinions on the matter.

As a roguelike fan let's just say we saw what happened to the term "adventure game" and the nicheness of the genre just means it matters more to keep the term for it, otherwise it becomes impossible to find them in stores to buy a new Caves of Qud or such when literally every game gets the tag and it become meaningless

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Tenebrais posted:

There's also loadout options, as in FTL or Into The Breach - as you progress you unlock new start conditions, but after that point the game is the same. Kind of the overlap between character and pool progression.

Heat Signature is an odd duck in its progression. While you do steadily take over the nebula, this doesn't actually impact the gameplay - your individual levels take place on enemy ships, and they're going to be available whether that faction has one station or twenty. The conquest aspect is largely a cosmetic marker of how much you've played the game, with some amount of victories allowing you to progress the plot.
Actually, maybe "plot progression" is a better name for that concept? Where your victories don't change the game available to you but reward you with story or the flavour of your impact on the world.

The mechanical progression in Heat Signature going on there is that as you liberate stations that makes items available in the shops between heists. It's not really pool progression (the same drops occur throughout), nor progressing your loadout options (you can't buy these things at the start for the most part) and it's not directly making your character stronger either (since you need to buy the things, your available resources won't change). It doesn't categorise neatly; it's common for a roguelike to have shops but I don't know of any others that have your meta-progression tracked entirely through them.

Yeah agreed, liberating stations in Heat Signature isn't really world progression in any meaningful way, because the stations don't functionally make up much of any part of the world you're actually playing in. It's basically a big unlock-features tree, something like the Sphere Grid in FFX or the crafting table in Void Bastards. You could just put it in a menu and call it Unlock Grid and it wouldn't change anything really.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Well that was a whole lot of bad design decisions. I get that they're going for a vibe of "annoying NES game with bad mechanics that no one remembers fondly" but I'm just not sure exactly why you would aim for such a thing.
I'm also going to have to vote Moss Destruction. Into the Breach is done to death already and I'm sick of deck games.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I legit enjoy tower of guns but I've already seen all of it so I'd say Airheart too

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Voting curious expedition, its legit though not quite as good as renowned explorers

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Sublevel Zero I think, the other two I've already seen all over the internet

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
One thing about Curious Expedition that I have mixed feelings about is that it constantly feels like you're on the verge of complete failure. You can barely walk across one section of the map and reveal a few tiles before your sanity is completely empty, and then in four more moves you're totally out of all your sanity restore items, which barely seem to make a dent.
A few moves later your party is at eachother's throats, and then you stumble on the pyramid and it feels like a total fluke. Your videos definitely captured that feeling well

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Dig Dog, we've all seen gungeon a million times before

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Zushio posted:

Something inside me broke during Kiwami 2, now I look forward to it!

Can I anti-vote for Relic Hunter Zero? Unless they have patched it to hell and back it is possibly the most generic Gungeon clone I have ever seen.

This happened to me too. It's weirdly fun. Just try to get three consecutive numbers in a row of four different types, hit square on every turn, and NEVER pon

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Great video but it was brutally painful as a Tower of Guns fan to watch you walk right past so many secrets

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I like the graphics and styling on that Goner but it looks way too annoyingly hard to be fun

I vote Immortal Redneck for next game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
This was one of the few LP threads I still followed, best of luck with your new one