Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

CountryMatters posted:

Well that was a whole lot of bad design decisions. I get that they're going for a vibe of "annoying NES game with bad mechanics that no one remembers fondly" but I'm just not sure exactly why you would aim for such a thing.

It's far from uncommon for people to say "I wanna make a game like the ones I used to play" and then throw in mechanics from those games without actually examining whether they were any good to begin with, let alone whether they work with whatever other mechanics are being used. Throw Stockholm Syndrome in the mix and their creation never gets a chance to be fun.

Moss Destruction is actually better looking and sounding than I thought it would be given the title, otherwise was thinking of Into The Breach just because I live under a rock and haven't looked at anyone else's playthroughs on Youtube or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I have heard good things about Wayward Souls in the Android thread (assuming it's the same game) but yeah, Eagle Island definitely looks better.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Bad North

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Um. Video link's messed up in your post (but fine in your first post, good job on keeping that updated).

e: Bad North is decidedly good. Rush Rover looks way too bullet hell for my taste, between Utopia 9 and 20XX I'm feeling Utopia 9 more.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 6, 2020

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Roguemance because I want to know how date battles work.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

If Neoverse is Slay the Spire in practice then fine, but I'm still voting Dicey Dungeons to avoid possible anime poisoning.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

My first win with the robot used the buster sword and no CPU mods. Went pretty smooth, actually, but it's probably not good enough for the challenge runs which is where I'd guess you have to depend on the gimmick rather than planning around it for a consistent approach.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I will not fault you for your rerolls. Probability is hard and your choices there looked mostly sensible anyway.

I will fault you for leaving apples behind at the end of a floor while injured and using your dice wrong though (why the two on the ooze which deals face damage and the four on detonate which doesn't???). Who are you and what have you done with the real Party Bug?

That said, warrior is the perfect starting class (reliable! no really bad choices! no memorable traits compared to the other characters you can play after moving on!) and it's possible that you were just suffering some inattentiveness from not having as much of a proper challenge to contend with, but I'm still highly suspicious.

also had you used poison properly you could have dealt a fair bit more damage faster easily, but that mistake is a bit less egregious than the above

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Party Bug posted:

I can do roguelites, but I can't do math. :negative:

.....but, but, but, that's not math! That's not being able to read your abilities! This is like calling it math when you have a gun that says it does 50 damage and tossing it for the sword that does 20 and wondering why it suddenly takes twice as long to kill things. :psyduck:

I guess I should just be thankful HydraSlayer isn't coming up for a vote. Though it would make for an amusing extreme punishment stream...

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Party Bug posted:

Ask me anything about dogs though.

Besides presumably yours, what is the best dog?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Bunker Punks for a palate cleanser because that was a bad show for a deckbuilder. The AI just giving up at the start of battle doesn't feel even a little good and the cards you could put together weren't fun or themed in any way. The design in general really felt like 'throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks'.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

A terror mechanic where you could have a nasty enough rep that weaker enemies would start fleeing or maybe even kill themselves rather than let you do something even more terrifying to them could be pretty good, too, but that kind of thing has to be earned or else it doesn't work.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

GoNNER looks like my kind of weird. West of Dead looks neat, but it can wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I liked the look at first, though the gameplay looks a bit too technical to be fun. Fortunately Immortal Redneck will be a solid palate cleanser.