Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
(First I need a good thread title, looking for suggestions!)

Astroneer is a space base building game from System Era. It's available on Steam, Windows Store, and Xbox 1. It features single and co-op play. Cross play is available for the Windows Store and Xbox 1 version.

Steam Page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/361420/ASTRONEER/

Here are some screenshots

I have over 500 hours in it, it's an excellent base building game for those of us who don't want to run spreadsheets to try to figure out exactly how many belts we need to accomplish our goals :v:. It's non-violent, there are no monsters or zombies, however there are plants that will kill you if you wander too close.

From the Store Page:

quote:

ABOUT THIS GAME
Explore and reshape distant worlds! Astroneer is set during the 25th century Intergalactic Age of Discovery, where Astroneers explore the frontiers of outer space, risking their lives in harsh environments to unearth rare discoveries and unlock the mysteries of the universe.

In this space sandbox adventure, players can work together to build custom bases above or below ground, create vehicles to explore a vast solar system, and use terrain to create anything they can imagine. A player’s creativity and ingenuity are the key to thriving on exciting planetary adventures! In Astroneer you can:
Reshape the ground under your feet as though it were made of clay.

In Astroneer, players use their deform tool to dig, collect, shape and build anything they wish. Use this ability to dig to the center of the planet, build a ramp into the sky, or make megaliths just by using terrain!
Survive on and explore carefully crafted planets that can be entirely deformed and traversed.

Our vast solar system includes 7 wondrous planets that players can travel between and explore every inch of, from the entire spherical surface, through treacherous layers of caves, all the way down to mysterious the core. Each of those planets has unique and challenging surface and cave biomes that offer a multitude of challenges for players on their journey.
Snap together components and objects to build bases and vehicles.
There are of course achievements in the game and there is an end game as well. The game left a turbulent early access in February 2019 and has had major content updates since then.

If you have questions, please ask, I'm no expert but I'm pretty familiar with how the game works.

Added: Short documentary on what happened with Astroneer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfUjl4owxTQ

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How does this game compare to No Man's Sky? That's been my one hangup about buying it as it looks like it hits the same niche as NMS and yeah. Is the base building easier to get into?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

How does this game compare to No Man's Sky? That's been my one hangup about buying it as it looks like it hits the same niche as NMS and yeah. Is the base building easier to get into?

It’s aimed at a much more casual player. As mentioned in the OP, there’s nothing that comes after you and kills you. The controls are much easier as well. It’s more cartoony too.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Base building is (or seems) mostly non-existent - your base is where you plop down various crafting/power doodads. It's not really like NMS, and has a pretty narrow focus (at least what I've played), but does a good job of it. The core gameplay loop is basically:

- Set up base
- Wander around leaving oxygen tethers as a sort of nav system
- Hoover up basic materials on the surface or in mines that you explore
- Craft new tools, power generation, storage, and crafting stations to get better materials/tools (there are, I think, three "tiers" of materials)
- Find research items to open up new crafting blueprints.
- repeat

With two major kinks:

- the starting planet is missing materials - you need to build a rocket to go to other planets to fill in material gaps
- each planet has a core... thing at the core of the planet (and related surface items) that are, I think, the "true goal" of the game

I've kinda "solved" one of the other "easy" planets and mostly solved a "hard" planet.

It's fun and very, VERY laid back - if you can watch TV/movies when you game this is pretty perfect for it.

I'm playing on PC using Game Pass - I tried playing it on my Xbonx and while it worked fine it really feels designed around kb+m (YMMV).

I haven't tried co-op but I'm pretty sure that would strip away some of the tedium when you work toward a planet core. There are elements of the game that would definitely be better in co-op.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I played a bunch during EA, but less so post release. If anyone wants to play some time, I'm UTC-10; https://steamcommunity.com/id/Harmburger/

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I guess we have a different definition of base building? You start with a landing pad and build a bunch of stuff to make a base. How is that not base building?

Yes the core of the planet plus those big blue things on all the planets are the end game.

The wiki is very handy at astroneer.gamepedia.com.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

I played a bunch during EA, but less so post release. If anyone wants to play some time, I'm UTC-10; https://steamcommunity.com/id/Harmburger/

I have played two player co op and it's been fine, both players on Steam. I've heard issues about multiplay on Xbox and with a full complement of four players.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Base building to me is something closer to Minecraft/Terraria/NMS where part of the base building is developing a structure to house all of your stuff with ramps/stairs/rooms/etc. Astroneer is more like a base camp than an actual base.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

This is a very fun game, but I feel you've been negligent in describing a key, key feature...

Space Trucking.

It can be peaceful.

It can be challenging

But most of all it can be beautiful

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played this game for a long time as my "I'm watching poo poo but want something to play too" game and really loved it, but gave up when I brought a bunch of poo poo to another planet and died with all my belongings on me because I really didn't want to get a bunch more stuff together to build a new ship to get back to the planet so I could retrieve my crap. I uninstalled it immediately after that happened lol. This is a perfect Xbox Gamepass game IMO.

Edit: Also I kept getting frustrated with the overworld exploration stuff while trucking around looking for trash. I'm sure it's intentionally done this way but I found it really easy to lose which way I was going and get completely lost and have to wander around aimlessly for 30-45 minutes until I saw a beacon poking over the horizon.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 7, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Put down more beacons. There's now 10 colors of beacons too, so you can be more precise in which color means what.

Until I get a Hydrazine thruster, I always fly with an extra solid thruster in my back pack to avoid those issues of getting stuck. When I have the hydrazine thruster, I always make sure it has at least two hydrazine bottles before I take off.

Have you done the rover with the Extra Large Shredder on top Prokhor? That's always fun!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Reddit link showing this guy's underground bat cave. Very cool!

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Hello. I am the resident goondev for Astroneer. I started a little less than six months ago. Glad to hear folks enjoy it!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Astroneer is a pro-tier multiplayer experience if you get the chance to. If you go for completion then single-player gets a bit repetitive and stale near the end. Still a very strong game and highly recommended for casual base-building and exploration.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Hello. I am the resident goondev for Astroneer. I started a little less than six months ago. Glad to hear folks enjoy it!

Very pleasant little game but of course I expect improvements ;)

The recent jetpacks are a godsend but now backpack space is even more precious. With the scanner event I had 2 or 3 slots free after my usual loadout. Needs more space, soon.

A compass I can always see would be great (including inside a vehicle). Jumping in and out of tractors to figure out if I'm still going the right way is annoying. The getting lost completely complaint has improved with the jetpacks as I can now fly up to see further.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Could we please get a way to turn the pointing emote off? I can't count how many times I've been trying to pick up a falling something and instead click on the terrain and get locked into the emote for the next 2 seconds.

Or at least let the emote be interrupted by attempting to move.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Welcome! It’s a great game, I have over 600 hours in it.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
You can't post an Astroneer thread without including the short documentary about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfUjl4owxTQ

It's pretty heart rending and definitely worth watching if only to see how No Man Sky nearly hosed them over.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks just added it to the OP.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The stream yesterday was very clear that there will be no mod support for the game, in neither the short term or the long term and they actively discourage people from making mods, as later patches will almost certainly break the mods and players will be angry.

Frankly all I want is a way to make signs myself.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mayveena posted:

The stream yesterday was very clear that there will be no mod support for the game, in neither the short term or the long term and they actively discourage people from making mods, as later patches will almost certainly break the mods and players will be angry.

Signs yes but what I most want in the world is a map or pointer showing me where my poo poo it. If I can go into space on a whim then why can't I have GPS of some sort. Hell, even dead reckoning hundreds of years ago worked. Making getting lost be such a large part of the game 'experience' is really loving irritating.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It's a lot like Subnautica where if they put in a map it would betray just how little there is to explore.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mayveena posted:

Have the devs not been paying attention to literally every other early access/etc game that allows modding? Patches breaking mods is a way of life. Minecraft, KSP, Factorio, Rimworld, etc. Most if not all of those other games also allow rolling back to previous patches, though.

e. one partial solution is creating a versatile modding API.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 12, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I’m sure they know. Those other games are not Astroneer and aren’t programmed like it. They might be clearer about this in the Steam/Windows/Xbox descriptions though.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Oh snap I had no idea!! :love:

Astroneer is such a good and well-polished game. I played through all of it in co-op after the 1.0 release and it was such a fun time.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Oh snap I had no idea!! :love:

Astroneer is such a good and well-polished game. I played through all of it in co-op after the 1.0 release and it was such a fun time.

Yeah! You're still at Disney, right? We should catch up next time you're in town, it's been a while.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Yeah! You're still at Disney, right? We should catch up next time you're in town, it's been a while.

Yup yup yup I'll be in town around Christmas you can tell me all the secrets of the universe

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

From the stream yesterday the ability to pave the road is coming, as well as a medium sized soil container so that you don't run out of soil too quickly while paving. Also a new event. Should hit mid-week next week.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hi folks, I wanted you to know I just created a base building megathread here. Hope you find it helpful, and please leave comments in the thread, thanks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this game is good as heck and one of my main chill-out games. someday maybe i'll actually bother finishing it but i find it more fun just exploring around and plopping bases everywhere.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this game is good as heck and one of my main chill-out games. someday maybe i'll actually bother finishing it but i find it more fun just exploring around and plopping bases everywhere.

Me too!! And with the new organizer stuff, it's awesome to keep putting stuff together like Legos :v:

iamjohnsalt
Dec 6, 2017

I just keep starting over. Don't even mind. It's a lovely little chill out game. When you get a bigger shuttle dont forget to take the smaller one off the landing pad before you head to space or you might have a long walk when you return :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Didn't quite make that left turn at Albuquerque

(Feel free to post your own screen shots!!!)

iamjohnsalt
Dec 6, 2017

this is fine

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Patch time

https://forum.systemera.net/topic/54622-the-groundwork-update-october-24th-2019/

Paver? Roads? Please let this be roads.
And 3 sizes of horns - ho ho, yeah.
Also something about changes to the vehicle drill, I will be pleasantly surprised if it's now worth using.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ratzap posted:

Also something about changes to the vehicle drill, I will be pleasantly surprised if it's now worth using.

Eh? It has been worth using ever since they gave vehicles more power. Just being able to plow through mountains made it much easier to power all the spoiler-y things.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ratzap posted:

Patch time

https://forum.systemera.net/topic/54622-the-groundwork-update-october-24th-2019/

Paver? Roads? Please let this be roads.
And 3 sizes of horns - ho ho, yeah.

Yes, it is roads indeed. Gotta see what the byte cost is for the paver though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

5,000 bytes is the answer :)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

(First I need a good thread title, looking for suggestions!)

Space is chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Huh, I thought I could change the subject by editing the OP but I guess not. How do I get the subject changed?