Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
There's a bug with the Chemistry lab that System Era is looking into. Note that the Smelting Furnace has returned to its previous functionality Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamjohnsalt
Dec 6, 2017

Is it where it wont put completed stuff onto attached storage? Its annoying but not too bad

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Huh, I thought I could change the subject by editing the OP but I guess not. How do I get the subject changed?

I dunno, I'm a freeloader who doesn't make threads.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

iamjohnsalt posted:

Is it where it wont put completed stuff onto attached storage? Its annoying but not too bad

Yep, that's it. Probably depends on how much you're processing through the lab as to how annoying it is :).

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Huh, I thought I could change the subject by editing the OP but I guess not. How do I get the subject changed?

Ask the mods to do it

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

iamjohnsalt posted:

Another problem I found yesterday in a friends game playing MP is the solid rockets don't do a full return trip any more. I put a fresh one on my shuttle, go from Planet 1 to Planet 2, land and take off but when trying to switch from close orbit to destination selection it says there's no fuel. I land back where I was, take the engine off and it has the nozzle still attached plus hovering says 'press F to activate'.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ratzap posted:

Another problem I found yesterday in a friends game playing MP is the solid rockets don't do a full return trip any more. I put a fresh one on my shuttle, go from Planet 1 to Planet 2, land and take off but when trying to switch from close orbit to destination selection it says there's no fuel. I land back where I was, take the engine off and it has the nozzle still attached plus hovering says 'press F to activate'.

That's gotta be a bug. I've always been able to do A->B->A. I've seen a bug I've never seen before in this patch. I had a rover chock full of a drill, a canister, and a paver. I got stuck going down into a hole and as I was trying to get out of the hole, the game just swallowed the hole and my rover and put me back on top of the now solid ground sans rover. It was truly a wtf moment.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

The vehicle drills are extremely funny because there's no slowdown in moving through terrain so more than once I've been on the surface, driven over a hill and the front end of the vehicle will be pointed at the core and it will just... Fall. The vehicle will just freefall straight through the planet drilling all the while.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Prokhor posted:

The vehicle drills are extremely funny because there's no slowdown in moving through terrain so more than once I've been on the surface, driven over a hill and the front end of the vehicle will be pointed at the core and it will just... Fall. The vehicle will just freefall straight through the planet drilling all the while.

That behavior has been improved in the latest update. It’s much easier to control the rover and also clearer on what’s going to be drilled. I suspect nearly everyone has driven a drill equipped rover straight down to the core.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Here is a pic of the new pavement and new medium canister.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mayveena posted:

Here is a pic of the new pavement and new medium canister.

The problem with the paver is that it doesn't appear to remove hills/bumps. It fills holes and makes ramps fine but you can't just drive along making a road, you have to stop and dig away hills.

Also the fog horn is massively disappointing. It looks great but instead of blowing my ears off it just sort of bleats.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Ratzap posted:

The problem with the paver is that it doesn't appear to remove hills/bumps. It fills holes and makes ramps fine but you can't just drive along making a road, you have to stop and dig away hills.

Perhaps a little counterintuitivly, you can run the drill and the paver at the same time on a large rover to avoid this!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Perhaps a little counterintuitivly, you can run the drill and the paver at the same time on a large rover to avoid this!

Right. Drills take out rocks and trees now yay!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Ah, I made two pavers thinking it would need them to be wide enough on a large rover.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Could've guessed from the drill behavior that a single paver would've been enough.

I finished this last week by the way, Of course the pavers arrive right after I'm done needing massive underground bridges I had to build entirely by hand. Ah well.

Game was pretty enjoyable overall. It's really come a long way since the alphas, I'm especially impressed by the rebalancing of the tech tree. Used to be I'd have almost all of it by the time I left the first planet and would have nothing more to do, now it's much better paced. The single greatest difficulty in my playthrough was finding ammonium. Patches of it were super hard to come by for some reason. Anyway, it was really fun.

Chev fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 29, 2019

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Chev posted:

Could've guessed from the drill behavior that a single paver would've been enough.

I only ever used a drill on a crane before plus, the official release page shows a large rover with 2 pavers and the drill on a crane: https://forum.systemera.net/topic/54622-the-groundwork-update-october-24th-2019/

On the starting planet, ammonium seems most frequent on the surface in the blue forested bits.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ratzap posted:

On the starting planet, ammonium seems most frequent on the surface in the blue forested bits.

That's what I figured too, only in this playthrough I only ever managed to find a single above ground patch on the starting planet, and not that many more on others, so I had to rely on the centrifuge and scrap to get ammonium..

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 29, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Chev posted:

That's what I figured too, only in this playthrough I only ever managed to find a single above ground patch on the starting planet, and not that many more on others, so I had to rely on the centrifuge and scrap to get ammonium..

Ammonium is most easily found on Calidor and Novus because there are large flat areas on those planets.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
No enemies at all? Last one of these I seriously played was terraria No mans sky bored me after 10 hours.

It’s a a part simulator then. Looks interesting will take a look when there is time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

DropsySufferer posted:

No enemies at all? Last one of these I seriously played was terraria No mans sky bored me after 10 hours.

It’s a a part simulator then. Looks interesting will take a look when there is time.

The plants will happily kill you if you get too close.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Mayveena posted:

The plants will happily kill you if you get too close.

And sometimes your friends are your enemies. Maybe you like to dig deep and mine, and not use the sick rovers which are fun. Maybe your cool friend who is very funny and also handsome DOES like to use the rovers and they accidentally knock a tether down a pit and oops there goes your oxygen. These are the kind of entirely hypothetical situations that might happen.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Astroneer is 25% off on the Steam sale til Friday.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Prokhor posted:

And sometimes your friends are your enemies. Maybe you like to dig deep and mine, and not use the sick rovers which are fun. Maybe your cool friend who is very funny and also handsome DOES like to use the rovers and they accidentally knock a tether down a pit and oops there goes your oxygen. These are the kind of entirely hypothetical situations that might happen.

This is why you dig a little trench for the tethers and then fill it back in.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Prokhor posted:

accidentally knock a tether down a pit and oops there goes your oxygen.

Yeah. Accidentally.

Incidentally purposefully growing and hiding spike plants in key locations can get wonderful responses.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This kinda thing isn't usually my style of game but it's just so pretty and looks so adorable I think I'm going to have to pick it up for PS4 when it's released in a week or so. Hopefully I can convince a friend or two to do the same so we can do cool poo poo together.

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007
This thread looks pretty quiet, but I'll throw this out there in case some goon is able to help me out.

I found this on PC Game Pass, and was charmed by it straight away. I convinced a friend to install it about 4 nights ago and we had one glorious play session of about 4 hours, no problems. The following night we played again, and I was disconnected every 3-5 minutes constantly (He was hosting). We chalked it up to the internet being flaky or something and moved on.

Now last night we convinced a third friend to install it and had the exact same problem. No matter who hosted, the other two would struggle to join, and once joined, drop out within a few minutes. What gives? We tried a bunch of fixes like joining as a party in the Xbox Companion App, checking our Toredo connectivity and a bunch of other things besides. Nothing worked. Is the Windows 10 version just hosed at the moment? Has anyone else had similar issues and was able to resolve them?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

We’ve been able to play reliably on Steam. I couldn’t get the PC Game Pass version to play at all, even single player.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Echoing that the steam version's multiplayer works perfectly.

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007
Ah, I see. Might have to shell out some bucks then. Thanks.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I bought two copies of this game at humble bundle, because there is a sale and I am loving it. This is a good game for those people that want to play some chill and cute co-op sandbox exploration and base-building with some survival but without zombies or cannibals or without alt-tabbing to wiki or some spreadsheets, because it's quite intuitive too.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Is anyone running a dedicated server? Or know a good one? With 8 players at the same time now and the new automation patch it seems like a good time to try multi play.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ratzap posted:

Is anyone running a dedicated server? Or know a good one? With 8 players at the same time now and the new automation patch it seems like a good time to try multi play.

Not I but you can always rent one.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My wife and I have been playing this since late July, and we both just finished 100% of the Steam achievements last weekend.

We're so heartbroken about the idea of moving on that we've created new challenges and activities for ourselves:
- Find that rover we lost in the caves of Sylva weeks ago
- Do "science" with the winch (it's crazy)
- Do "science" with explosives and gases (it's crazier - we have a test range on Calidor to test various effects, along with an automated Explosive Powder factory)
- Blow up Novus

I'm not quite sure how to accomplish that last one outside of creative mode though. The automation update made it so items don't automatically drop off of anything anymore. This killed my idea of drilling a big hole down to the core, setting up a bunch of atmospheric condensers to continuously drop canisters of Methane into it, and letting it run for hours/days.

We did a smaller scale experiment on Sylva using four* medium silos full of hydrogen, and while it did destroy most of a mountain, it's a far cry from the magnitude we want for Novus.

* We returned home with three medium silos. I'm convinced the blast sent one into orbit. I wish I'd put a beacon on it.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 27, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Glad to hear you two really enjoy it. It's a great co-op game, I always recommend it when people are looking for co op basebuilders. Yeah I was playing yesterday on the Xbox and fell into a super deep hole and died. Got so mad I started a whole new save :)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
How am I supposed to get power once I go to another planet? The small shuttle has no space to take any equipment with me and even if I took a small wind or solar generator, I can't manufacture a platform to connect anything together.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

grate deceiver posted:

How am I supposed to get power once I go to another planet? The small shuttle has no space to take any equipment with me and even if I took a small wind or solar generator, I can't manufacture a platform to connect anything together.

You can take a medium storage in the small shuttle instead of an oxygenator. I think i took platforms and an oxygenator in their packaged form on the storage.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
You don't need a platform to get started on a new planet, though it helps. Small Generator, Small Printer, Small Solar, and Small Wind Turbine can all sit on the ground and connect to each other without a platform.

Every potential landing site should have some resin and compound within safe walking distance. You use resin to print medium platforms and compound to print a Medium Printer, all from the Small Printer.

If you get really pressed and can't find anything, you can even pick up your shuttle and carry it with you for free air and backpack power, although that's a pain in the rear end.

When setting up a new planet from a small shuttle, here's what I'd bring:
- Oxygenator (packaged)
- Small Platforms A or B (two, packaged)
- Small Generator
- Small Printer
- Small Solar or Wind (depending on the planet, bring multiples)
- A few compound to make tethers and such

If you've found any Small Batteries in various wreckage, these are invaluable when starting new bases. If the sun or wind stops, they'll provide power until depleted, then recharge next time excess power is available.

When you arrive, unpackage the platforms and Oxygenator, and put the oxygenator on one, the Small Generator and Solar/Wind on the other. You now have a rudimentary base you can build tethers from!

As was mentioned, you can stick a Medium Storage in the medium receptacle on the shuttle (it's supposed to be for an Oxygenator, but you can put anything there). I recommend doing this, and also packing:

- 1 x Aluminum, 2 x Ceramic - Once you have a Large Platform and Large Printer (all available with compound/resin), use this to build a Landing Pad. Landing sites are randomly generated each time you visit a planet, so if you take off and then try to come back, you may not be able to land in the same spot.

- Beacon(s) - Even if you create a landing pad, you may not remember which spot you built the base in. Leave a beacon there so you can find it from orbit! Also handy when you inevitably die on the new world and need to go find your backpack.

- Worklight - I always keep one on my backpack, but you can also set them on the ground (no platform needed!) and connect them to a power cable for easy nighttime work.

Hope this helps! Exploring new planets for the first time is one of the most fun activities in the game!

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 28, 2020

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
How do I hook up a solar or turbine to the printer though? Without a platform there's no power socket to connect things together (?)

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

grate deceiver posted:

How do I hook up a solar or turbine to the printer though? Without a platform there's no power socket to connect things together (?)

The Small Solar, Small Wind, Work Light, and a few other things will create a little platform under themselves when placed on the ground.

Which, coincidentally, leads me to one of my gripes with this very fun game: I wish that the little platform would show as a preview when I hold one of these on the ground, because it can be frustrating to try to get the cables to not look really goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Update on "science":

We packed our Large Shuttle with two large storage silos, each with 12 medium storage silos. These, in turn, carried 24 canisters of hydrogen, for a total of 576 canisters of hydrogen.

We went to Novus and used our rover to dig down to the lower part of the cave layer. We set up both storage silos, along with a few bundles of dynamite.

I tried to run a button repeater from as far as possible down our entry tunnel, but the segment leads kept bugging out. I'm not sure if it was the distance, the angle of the ramp, or what. I decided to just leave my equipment in base and set it off by hand.

Wow.

It left a giant spherical crater, which extends all the way to the top of the core (I can see glowy bits through the bottom of the crater). I don't have a good screenshot since we didn't have any lights set up, but I'll get one later.

I think to actually destroy an appreciable amount of Novus, we'd need at least ten times as many canisters, maybe twenty or more. Considering how long this took to craft, transport, and set up -- even with five atmospheric condensers and automated arms working nonstop -- it may be more than we want to take on. At least in adventure mode.

Novus does have Sulfur in the air, so we could at least eliminate the transport process, but it's still quite an undertaking to set up and automate that much storage.