Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chimera-gui posted:

Correction, wasps are just as important as bees if not more so: https://cyanocoraxx.tumblr.com/post/183796177483

THANK YOU (that link doesn't work unless you log in to tumblr which I can't imagine anyone has done this year, but I assume the info is related to their contributions to pollination, their use as environmentally-friendly pest control, and/or their non-aggression towards humans unless threatened)

They're also total sweeties, watch one eat a cookie if you don't believe me
https://twitter.com/gastehowe/status/1179733478553862150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Thank you for this information of which I was unaware. I humbly apologize to wasps everywhere.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fiendly posted:

They're also total sweeties, watch one eat a cookie if you don't believe me
https://twitter.com/gastehowe/status/1179733478553862150

But now it's going to ask for a glass of milk!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Transcript for those who can't see it:

cyanocoraxx posted:

with summer coming fast i just wanna share a psa on wasps and why they’re good too.
- they do serve a purpose in the ecosystem. wasps are vital predators of aphids and blackflies. with no predation, one cabbage aphid could cover our planet in 822 million tonnes of bugs because they’re so fertile, as estimated by zoologist mark carwardine. not only do wasps eat for themselves, but they need to provide for their grubs too, so that’s even more aphids getting picked off every day. parasitic wasps of the family trichogrammatidae are used in horticulture for biological control of pests. trichogramma galloi is used to control sugarcane borers and encarsia formosa is used to control whitefly, a pest of tomato, cucumber, aubergine and strawberry. on some farms they even replace chemical pesticides.

- they are effective pollinators with some species contributing massively to the maintenance of plant populations. there are over 800 species of fig tree and each one has its own specific fig wasp. without one another, neither the fig nor fig wasp can complete their life-cycle - a clear example of co-evolution that has been successful for over 60 million years. Figs are a keystone species in tropical regions worldwide – their fruit supports the diets of at least 1,274 mammals and birds, meaning that the extinction of fig wasps would therefore be catastrophic in tropical ecosystems. furthermore, at least 100 orchid species rely on european wasps and common wasps for pollination.

- paper wasps and potter wasps make amazing artists. they can construct flawless nests made of wood and create stunning miniature pot nests out of nothing but mud and saliva. in one amazing case, a colony of paper wasps constructed a rainbow-coloured nest using coloured sheets of paper as shown on the right. (menchetti 2016)

- wasps are socially intelligent. not only can paper wasps recognise each other by the colour patterns on their faces, but they can still do so after at least one week apart. (sheehan and tibbetts 2008) european wasps can learn to recognise human faces. despite having no evolutionary reason for doing so, they construct holistic representations of complex images to remember a specific human face. (avarguès-weber et al 2018) sand wasps tend to two or three chambers each day. each chamber is in a different location and each larva is at a different developmental stage. it was found that they learn the configuration of landmarks around each concealed chamber in order to find them. this means that the wasp learns where the chambers are and which action is needed at each. (baerends 1939)

- the world’s smallest known insect is a fairy wasp! at only 139-240 micrometres long, dicopomorpha echmepterygis is smaller than some paramecium and amoeba species. the fairy wasp family also contains the smallest flying insect, kikiki huna. adult lifespans are very short, only lasting for a few days. several species are used as biological pest control agents. some species are even aquatic, using their wings as tiny paddles to swim around.

- social wasps are frequent models for batesian mimicry and müllerian mimicry. this means that non-stinging insects use wasps as a base to appear threatening to predators. their presence thus changes how other insects evolve. even bees such as the nomad bee have evolved to mimic wasps. (yellowjacket wasp on the left, clearwing moth on the right.)

I actually had a wasp's nest in an outdoor storage cabinet this summer and didn't have any issues beyond one or two flying towards me though I never got stung. I checked it periodically ends August and September to see if they've left and plucked it off the self it was under once they did.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 24, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

At my mom's this summer we noticed a large number of wasps (I'd say over 50) crawling around on the driveway under a particular tree. The area caught the light differently, our guess is they were attracted to dripping sap. They were completely chill around us, even though we'd squish some when driving in.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 12: Stop 'n' Swop

At last, the mysteries of Stop 'n' Swop are laid bare. We begin a long process most Rare.

Supplemental Video
Rare Revealed: The Making of Banjo-Kazooie

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 13: Furnace Fun
Part 14: Grunty
Epilogue

And with that, Banjo-Kazooie has come to a close. Gruntilda is no longer around to impose.

Before the next game, there will be a short wait. I will be out of town, and won't be able to update.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
The best possible ending.

Please tell me Tooie punishes you for entering too many cheats by erasing your save file as well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I still remember how the guide I had for this as a kid described that final note door: "882 Notes? What's in there a rocket launcher?"
So yeah, you can skip a whopping 18 notes and 2 jiggies across the whole game.

A neat touch showed off in the epilogue. If you don't 100% as you go, any time you quit after furnace fun just plays the game over jingle and text without the scene. Since you know, tooty is saved and the scene wouldn't make sense

Don't be a dumbo go see Mumbo.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm really enjoying the videos! I can't wait for Tooie since I've never actually seen or played that one.

What happens in Click Clock Wood if you visit the squirrel or the bird in the next season without feeding them in the one prior? Have they just starved to death?

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I’m really excited for you to start Tooie. I feel it has more interesting level design. You start to see where they are heading with their level design with Click Clock Woods.

Now that Banjo is in Smash and Microsoft seems to have a good working relationship with Nintendo, do you think we will see this ported to Switch? Or maybe even a sequel?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Personally I found Tooie overwhelming, some of the interplay between levels is cool but unless you know what you're doing (and even if you do) there's a poo poo load of backtracking.

The original has a perfect in-loot eveeything-out level structure and I love it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize all your posts are rhymes. Like the end of the first page.

sebzilla posted:

Personally I found Tooie overwhelming, some of the interplay between levels is cool but unless you know what you're doing (and even if you do) there's a poo poo load of backtracking.

The original has a perfect in-loot eveeything-out level structure and I love it.

This was my main problem. I beat it when it first came out somehow, but nowhere near 100%. When it came out on 360, I told myself I'd 100% it this time... and failed miserably. I even tried using Gamefaqs but my brain for some reason doesn't process directions in video games very well so I could never find where I was supposed to be going. The prehistoric level comes to mind as being especially difficult for me to navigate, and I straight up skipped the factory.

I think Yooka Yaylee did it really well. The levels start out a little bigger than original Banjo levels but you can expand them later so it's not as much to deal with at once.

All that said, I'd immediately buy either game (any of the 3, really) on Switch. It's probably my #1 want for the system.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Overwhelming" is a good way of putting it. The levels themselves feel huge as well.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Beartaco posted:

What happens in Click Clock Wood if you visit the squirrel or the bird in the next season without feeding them in the one prior? Have they just starved to death?

An excellent question with an answer I do not know. I can check myself, but it will be slow.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The rhyming gimmick was very fun, but I fear it's becoming a bit overdone.

It's finally time for the much anticipated direct sequel to Banjo-Kazooie.

In 2003, Rareware asked "could we make a Banjo-Kazooie game with all the trimmings on the Gameboy Advance" and nobody stopped to ask "should we." It was released after Rare was sold to Microsoft, so it's published by THQ of all people.

It takes place between Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. The soul of Gruntilda possesses a robot/time machine and goes back in time to kill Kazooie before she ever met Banjo, so they couldn't defeat her back in Banjo-Kazooie.

It tries to replicate the gameplay of the N64 games in a pseudo-3D top-down view and honestly, it doesn't do a great job. It works, they got it all in there, but the camera makes it hard to judge distance and the game just isn't super fun. It does have some neat ideas though and I'd like to show them off.

Part 1: Prologue
Part 2: Cliff Farm

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I actually really enjoyed Grunty's Revenge. Guess that puts me in the majority, not that you guys will suffer through it long at least. It's a really short game.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I worry we may have been to hard on it. I don't think it's a very good game, but I do think it's pretty good for what it is. It does successfully move the formula to GBA, I just don't think the formula works super great in a top-down sprite based game.

Also the minigames are really bad and really plentiful.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Nice, I was hoping you'd cover the GBA game (I actually assumed it would be the third game in the titular Triloogie, so thoroughly have I blocked out Nuts & Bolts). I remember being pleasantly surprised when I first saw it in the now long dead LP from Rooreeloo's thread, but I might have underestimated how much worse it is to play than to watch or just been grading on a ridiculous curve, should be fun to revisit.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I had no idea this existed, at least the GBA Spyro games were isometric.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 9, 2019

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

This looks closer to the 2D Zelda perspective than isometric, and I can see that being a major headache trying to figure out height.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Oh cool! I remember having this game on my GBA, but I don’t think I ever made it past the 2nd level. I loved the other 2, so interested to see where this one actually goes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

OOrochi posted:

Oh cool! I remember having this game on my GBA, but I don’t think I ever made it past the 2nd level. I loved the other 2, so interested to see where this one actually goes.

Not very far, it's pretty easy to 100% it in a handful of hours. I think 3-4 the couple of times I played it.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Those minigames don't look awful to play but boy are they an eyesore. It's astonishing to me that anybody thought 3d models rendered as 2d sprites looked in any way good, meanwhile I'm currently playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance which is all just regular sprites and it is gorgeous!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The only minigame in Grunty's Revenge I'd say isn't actively unpleasant to play is the slide. As we get further and they do variations you'll see how bad they can get; the Cliff Farm ones are easy enough to be inoffensive.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Sorry, can I link to your twitter here? Because this is god drat mind blowing.

https://twitter.com/YukiHamsterlady/status/1193404637837172736

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Maybe they're gorillas who Grunty cursed with baldness?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 3: Breegull Beach

It's Treasure Trove Cove, but not as good. Featuring little baby Cap'n Blubber.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 4: Bad Magic Bayou

Sometimes you get a whole bunch of crabs.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The Breegull Beach video is listed three times in your Grunty's Revenge playlist by the way.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Thank you for letting me know. YouTube has been having a lot of trouble with the most basic of tasks the last few days, so I'm not surprised it got confused and triple added it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 5: Spiller's Harbor

Welcome to Skegness.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Kirby's Epic Yarn also has a PAL English dub and an NTSC English dub, the former having a narrator with a British accent and some British-isms in the script.

Totally forgot this game featured talking poo poo like it was the Conker's Bad Fur Day crossover no one wanted. This probably isn't why they drew a cow in the sand, but the poo poo-themed level of Bad Fur Day does have a long section involving the defecation and violent explosion of a bunch of cows.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Extermination on the PS2 had European and US versions differ in translation, voice acting and a character's haircut.
The US version was dubbed like a generic action movie.
The UK version was dubbed, seemingly, by hung over people from the street who'd wandered into the sound studio to use the bathroom.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Fiendly posted:

Kirby's Epic Yarn also has a PAL English dub and an NTSC English dub, the former having a narrator with a British accent and some British-isms in the script.

Totally forgot this game featured talking poo poo like it was the Conker's Bad Fur Day crossover no one wanted. This probably isn't why they drew a cow in the sand, but the poo poo-themed level of Bad Fur Day does have a long section involving the defecation and violent explosion of a bunch of cows.

Oh no! The charming British narrator waxing poetic about "trousers" in Kirby's Epic Yarn was what made it one of the best games on the Wii. I had no idea folks over in the States got a different version.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 6: Freezing Furnace

Grunty's an imperialist.

Fun fact I completely forgot about when recording this: Freezing Furnace was originally going to be two stages: Freezing Fjords and Fiery Furnace. Due to cartridge space limitations, they truncated both levels and put them together into one level.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Conker's Bad Fur Day also features Banjo and Kazooie's stuffed and mounted heads, apparently out of some rivalry between the teams that made each game. I guess everyone at Rare resented the people who worked on Banjo-Kazooie for making the studio's best game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You actually can tell the crabs from the fish in that final fishing game. The first dart and stop, while the crabs walk at a constant pace.

The mini game is still horrid.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

FoolyCharged posted:

You actually can tell the crabs from the fish in that final fishing game. The first dart and stop, while the crabs walk at a constant pace.

The mini game is still horrid.

I looked at like four FAQs and they all said "it's all luck" so I guess don't trust GameFAQs as a source for your LP commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 7: Gruntilda

Mumbo is horny.

And with that, Grunty's Revenge is finally over. It was half the videos of Banjo-Kazooie, but felt like it went on twice as long.

Tooie starts on Monday!