Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hamsterlady posted:

Part 7: Gruntilda

Mumbo is horny.

And with that, Grunty's Revenge is finally over. It was half the videos of Banjo-Kazooie, but felt like it went on twice as long.

Tooie starts on Monday!

Bullet Witch goes well after Ghost in the Shell: SAC, just to demonstrate how the developer got worse at absolutely everything.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
That game was not very good!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
If they had made original levels instead of their own versions of existing levels, they would have had something worth existing, even if it wasn't good, but lesser designers (I assume this wasn't made by the exact people behind the main series games) making knock-offs on weaker hardware was guaranteed to fail. Making the perspective truly isometric rather than mostly top-down would have done wonders for the platforming, but otherwise, the mechanics and graphics seemed like a passable vessel for creativity, it's just too bad that creativity never showed up. Also the final boss really harkened back to their Donkey Kong Country final bosses what with the long periods of downtime between small windows of opportunity to do exactly one point of damage and no more. Those things sucked.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I was going to do a writeup on some of the changes made to this game during development, but I realized I'd just be restating what's already on The Cutting Room Floor and its prototype pages. It's definitely an interesting read though and I highly recommend it for anyone fascinated by development stuff. They clearly had some ideas that hit against the limits of the format.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Fiendly posted:

If they had made original levels instead of their own versions of existing levels, they would have had something worth existing, even if it wasn't good, but lesser designers (I assume this wasn't made by the exact people behind the main series games) making knock-offs on weaker hardware was guaranteed to fail. Making the perspective truly isometric rather than mostly top-down would have done wonders for the platforming, but otherwise, the mechanics and graphics seemed like a passable vessel for creativity, it's just too bad that creativity never showed up. Also the final boss really harkened back to their Donkey Kong Country final bosses what with the long periods of downtime between small windows of opportunity to do exactly one point of damage and no more. Those things sucked.

The Donkey Kong Country final bosses were shorter, taking around 9-10 hits. This final fight was 2 of those, plus a regular boss in the midddle, plus 2 quizzes.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
So it's the final boss of every DKC game at once, gotcha

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Tooie is the sequel to Banjo-Kazooie, released in the year 2000 for the Nintendo 64. It's very much "Banjo-Kazooie but a whole lot more." The stages are huge, there are more abilities to learn, and a lot of additional mechanics. It's a huge game. Some might say TOO huge. I think Tooie is a fantastic game, and many say it's better than Kazooie, but I personally prefer the tight, concise deisgn of Kazooie of the enormous world of Tooie.

Once again, this will be the Xbox Live Arcade version of the game. Similar to the first game, it adds in Stop n Swop functionality (If you collected the Stop n Swop items in Kazooie, as we did, there will be things unlocked in Tooie) and yet more bonuses for Nuts and Bolts. There's also multiplayer which isn't online for some reason, as well as a Stop n Swop for a future Banjo game that will never be released.

Again, I'm Ashley and I will be playing, with rotating guests once more.

Part 1: Intro
Part 2: Jinjo Village

Banjo Bonus: Intro (N64 Version)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 1: Intro
Part 2: Jinjo Village

Banjo Bonus: Intro (N64 Version)

NOTE: I was under the impression that the Banjo XBLA ports ran at 60fps, and thus was recording at 720p60 (my capture card can't do 1080p60). I've realized that no, they run at a locked 30 fps, so the next session will be 1080p.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, Jingaling has a bunch of lines that hint at other stuff in the game.

Jingaling posted:

...I heard that Minjos look just like us Jinjos. Look just like us Jinjos. How bizarre...
...Be quick on the plains. Stomponadon shows no mercy...
...Don't mess with Targitzan. He's got a terrible temper!
...Old King Coal? Oh yeah, he's a right one...
...Oh yes, Lord Woo and I go way back. We often go fishing together, but I'm not supposed to tell anyone...
...I hear Terry's wife left him recently, so his little 'uns are all he's very protective of them...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I can't believe they killed Bottles. And then he has a kid

:(

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh my god, Bottles!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 3: Mayahem Temple

Unga Bunga is my favorite character.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
So my immediate thought upon seeing the level design in this game was that it reminds me of DK64; just kind of large and open for no reason other than to be large and open, as opposed to the more tightly designed levels of Banjo Kazooie or Mario 64, but seeing that the levels interconnect with each other is really interesting. Is this the Dark Souls of 3d platformers?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Hamsterlady posted:

Part 3: Mayahem Temple

Unga Bunga is my favorite character.

The dialogue when Jamjars describes moves doesn't just rhyme, it fits the music almost perfectly. It needs to be the N64 controls for everything to work though. Also, Jamjars is British because Z rhymes with head/red/etc.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Beartaco posted:

What happens in Click Clock Wood if you visit the squirrel or the bird in the next season without feeding them in the one prior? Have they just starved to death?

I finally had the time to find this out. If you skip an Eyrie step, he simply vanishes between seasons. Nabnut is actually fine in Winter if you skip him; I guess it was only six acorns. If you skip the flower, you cannot do it out of order. Any attempt to plant it in a different season does nothing.

The interesting one is skipping Gnawty the beaver. He actually has dialog as he remains trapped outside his house.

Autumn: "It's getting a bit chilly out here. I wish I was inside..."
Winter: "Brr. This water's freezing and I'm still stuck outside, thanks to you!"

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Given that Jamjars' reaction to his brother's decidedly ignoble death was "Why am I not surprised?", you're probably right about why the duo were willing to tell him in the first place as he seems more annoyed with Bottles for dying do to his own idiocy.

Speaking of the good drill sergeant, Jamjars' military cadence has a bit of an interesting history to it:

You see it's based on the Duckworth Chant, created in 1944 by Private Duckworth of the U.S. Army: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6bhv4i8qso

This cadence, also known as Sound Off, was adapted by Scott Watson to a range that would work with young bands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSY_a8_3sV8

The cadence was made popular by films about the Army, most famously the 1987 film Full Metal Jacket crude language disclaimer for this one since it's the late R. Lee Ermey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEiWXz3BkpA

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I didn't figure out that you were supposed to walk slowly on certain floor textures to avoid disrupting enemies until a later puzzle, so I jumped to a torch on the wall in Unga Bunga's cave, then to the idol from there.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 4: Goldeneye

This is just like Battlefield.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Humba is more likely based on how Native Americans were depicted in Disney's Peter Pan since Pocahontas did poorly in Europe as I recall.

And while her transformation magic is arguably better than Mumbo's was in the first game, he does do some impressive stuff as the game goes on so I think it evens out.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Since you seem to forgotten about it after mentioning it, I don't think the game lets you warp into the kickball stadium as bear and bird.

And yes, the minigames are ridiculously better than in grunty's revenge and were actually a lot of fun to play with friends. It probably helped that one of them was goldeneye with the numbers filed off.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Is there any way to increase the brightness? I don't remember things being that dark when I played.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

whitehelm posted:

Is there any way to increase the brightness? I don't remember things being that dark when I played.

I noticed this issue some during the next recording session (which is the next 4ish videos) and plan to try and find a solution before I record any more. There's no in-game brightness settings, but I'm gonna see what I can do with my Xbox and capture device and see if either of them are the weak link (I notice it on my TV too, but it passes through the Elgato so I can't rule it out as the problem without testing without it.)

Luckily the darkness is only a serious issue in a couple of very, very dark areas such as the FPS area in the latest video.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Hamsterlady posted:

I noticed this issue some during the next recording session (which is the next 4ish videos) and plan to try and find a solution before I record any more. There's no in-game brightness settings, but I'm gonna see what I can do with my Xbox and capture device and see if either of them are the weak link (I notice it on my TV too, but it passes through the Elgato so I can't rule it out as the problem without testing without it.)

Luckily the darkness is only a serious issue in a couple of very, very dark areas such as the FPS area in the latest video.

Banjo-Kazooie looked fine, so did anything change in between recording that and this game?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

whitehelm posted:

Banjo-Kazooie looked fine, so did anything change in between recording that and this game?

Nothing changed at all. In the next video I switch from 720 to 1080 but the videos that have been uploaded so far are all identical in recording process.

I've fixed the issue in a couple of test recordings, though. So starting with episode 10, everything should be good. I'm sorry for the issue, I have no idea why Tooie came out super dark when Kazooie didn't.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The brightness issue seems like it might have to do with RGB levels. If your Elgato's HDMI color range doesn't match up with that of your console, your video will be either washed out or too dark like it is now.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 2, 2019

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I got an Xbox One over Black Friday and it all looks fine there, so either the colorspace thing was the issue and changing consoles fixed it automatically, the Xbox was the issue, or it was switching from component to HDMI. I did all of these at once so who knows!

Part 5: Arson

A merry old soul.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 6: Perfect Dark

The only game Moonbeam Funk has played.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i wanted to chime in and say i'm really enjoying these videos! while i'm one of those people who thought tooie hasn't really aged all that well, your enthusiasm for the series is infectious and makes me wanna play through the games again

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Thank you for your kind words! I really love these games and I'm glad it's infectious!

Part 7: Stop n Swop (Continued)

Put him back in the egg.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

So, in the XBLA version, you put in the codes in the original, save the game, and then they're free for you in Tooie?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The XBLA version of Banjo-Kazooie looks for save data from Tooie and/or Nuts and Bolts (either works) and then opens up the Stop n Swop areas for you. Collecting them in Kazooie automatically puts them into your inventory in both Tooie and Nuts and Bolts. The codes were probably always meant for debug and never actually intended to be part of the Stop n Swop process.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 8: Witchyworld

Banjo's in the piss void.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I can't believe the jinjo is loving dead

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

There was some a+ use of grenade eggs to comedic effect in this one.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Actually, I've got a perfect explanation for where Kazooie goes during the Van transformation (though it doesn't explain any of the others): She's driving Banjo. Why else would he run over all those defenseless workers?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Actually, I've got a perfect explanation for where Kazooie goes during the Van transformation (though it doesn't explain any of the others): She's driving Banjo. Why else would he run over all those defenseless workers?

They were carnies. That's all the justification anyone needs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

E: wrong thread

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This was the world that really made me fall in love with this game. This alongside Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door are my nostalgia picks for favourite ever games and I still play through it 100% every few years. Also once at the age of eleven I tapped into the secrets of time and space and got 650 points on the saucer of peril, and I must have played that minigame over a hundred times since and I still can't breach 600, it's unreal.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 9: Roysten

This is the final video with poor brightness settings. I'm sorry again for that issue, but it's resolved starting with the next episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Hamsterlady posted:

Part 9: Roysten

This is the final video with poor brightness settings. I'm sorry again for that issue, but it's resolved starting with the next episode!

Did they really have another game planned or did they just make Stop n Swap II up because they needed something for those game paks to give you (because they brought back Stop n Swap I) and decided to go ahead and troll everyone?