Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm excited for Nuts & Bolts since I genuinely have no idea what to expect. I haven't played it, seen it or even read much about it. In my head it's some Kerbal Space Program type thing, but for driving around collecting jiggies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Beartaco posted:

I'm excited for Nuts & Bolts since I genuinely have no idea what to expect. I haven't played it, seen it or even read much about it. In my head it's some Kerbal Space Program type thing, but for driving around collecting jiggies?

Both not quite and pretty much spot-on at the same time. You can definitely go full Kerbal with it if you want to, and the game feels like it wants you to, but most of the time that's too tedious.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah I can confirm that the second Samba de Amigo does return in Transformed with Mambo De Verano as its theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiUhOhTynZI

In case you were wondering: the other Samba de Amigo track in Transformed uses Vamos a Carnaval as its theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdbtrxGSDsc

And while I don't hate Nuts & Bolts, I am glad Smash uses the duo's classic design since the N&B designs don't really work outside that game. I also kinda want to see you try to recreate Banjo's All-Stars Racing vehicle in N&B just to see how accurate to the source game's vehicle style that Racing was.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo Bonus: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

This is the final bonus video before Nuts and Bolts.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Hamsterlady posted:

Banjo Bonus: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

This is the final bonus video before Nuts and Bolts.

Banjo and Kazooie's great comeback! Pretty sure every fan of the bird and bear was extremely excited to see their announcement, especially with how faithful their adaptation was (after all, basically their entire moveset was pulled from B&K and Tooie).

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I do like that the DLC Spirits have some logic put into them because I remember the Phantom Thieves as Spirits also doing this when Joker was first added.

Plus the Shantae possessing Samus meme will never not make me laugh.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
tag yourself I'm seductive banjo

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Certain items are set to drop in each Classic mode based on the theme of the mode and the fighters' series. I have no idea what the katana is supposed to represent, though.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

fractalairduct posted:

Certain items are set to drop in each Classic mode based on the theme of the mode and the fighters' series. I have no idea what the katana is supposed to represent, though.

Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates have a feature called “Pair Up”, which glues two units together and gives stat boosts to whoever’s actually fighting out of the two of them.

The katana, or to be proper Killing Edge, is a Fire Emblem weapon.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is the 2008 sequel to Banjo-Tooie, for the Xbox 360. It's very different from the first two games, but it's awesome and you're all wrong about it being bad.

It's a vehicular action game where you construct your own cars and planes and motorcycles and weird giant rocket powered spheres and whatever else you feel like and then use them to complete challenges for Jiggies and Trophies.

This is a 100% run. I'll be completing every mission to Trophy standard and showing off the DLC.

Part 01: Welcome to Showdown Town

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 10, 2020

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
are the first 2 minutes suppose to lack commentary?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
That's weird, I only cut the stuff that's over voice acting but the audio beforehand didn't end up in the final version. I'll re-edit and fix it. Thanks for pointing it out!

edit: here's the fixed version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KRF2G9YTpw

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 10, 2020

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm finding it really hard to hear the game's audio some of the time (the intro was the worst).

I can see how people would be pretty pissed by that opening. "Oh, you wanted a new B-K game? Sure, sure, but the format of game that you grew up with and loved just sucks, so play something different" is really insulting. I didn't even play a lot of this kind of game growing up, and I'm still a little ticked at the attitude.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

azren posted:

I can see how people would be pretty pissed by that opening. "Oh, you wanted a new B-K game? Sure, sure, but the format of game that you grew up with and loved just sucks, so play something different" is really insulting. I didn't even play a lot of this kind of game growing up, and I'm still a little ticked at the attitude.

To be fair, I think that was supposed to establish LoG as an unlikable jackass that represents Microsoft given Rare staff weren't too happy with Microsoft's bullshit.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I was one of those people that didn't play Banjo-Kazooie or Tooie until I'd already played Nuts & Bolts. I liked it well enough, and still do, and like the older games. I sometimes wonder how I'd feel if I'd played them first, but my N64 library was tiny.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Please tell me that you will show off exactly how far you can break the janky Havok physics engine.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I love this game so much I'm half tempted to dig my xbox back out to play this again.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
That is the extra large text?!? Good lord, how bad is the normal?

I love the concept behind this game, but the kneecapping of creativity for entirely too many of the challenges with forced designed really hurt. I'm positive the designers did it to prevent the absolutely insane things that could be abused through Havok interactions, but they should have been used sparingly even with abuses.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, I think that was supposed to establish LoG as an unlikable jackass that represents Microsoft given Rare staff weren't too happy with Microsoft's bullshit.

There's establishing LoG as an unlikable jackass, and then there's going out of your way to trash your main characters, taunt folks with what could have been, and then dump them in a new game that probably wasn't what they expected to get when they bought the game.

I only know these games thanks to this LP, and I found the intro to be really patronizing and irritating.

Makes no sense to set up their fans to immediately hate the new game, when it looks like there is a good, fun game underneath it all. That is poor anticipation of how the opening would be received, and a great way to guarantee the game doesn't sell well enough to continue the series.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016

pointlessone posted:

That is the extra large text?!? Good lord, how bad is the normal?
Quite bad, considering there used to be gray transparent text boxes before the black ones we see in the video, making it more difficult for some to read.
http://mundorare.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/ss-bk-nuts-and-bolts-typeface-comparison.png

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kacie posted:

There's establishing LoG as an unlikable jackass, and then there's going out of your way to trash your main characters, taunt folks with what could have been, and then dump them in a new game that probably wasn't what they expected to get when they bought the game.

I only know these games thanks to this LP, and I found the intro to be really patronizing and irritating.

Makes no sense to set up their fans to immediately hate the new game, when it looks like there is a good, fun game underneath it all. That is poor anticipation of how the opening would be received, and a great way to guarantee the game doesn't sell well enough to continue the series.

I suspect that Rare were hoping that Microsoft would reverse its purchase of Rare if they saw Rare's stuff wasn't selling well enough to have been worth it since the buy out screw Rare over in multiple ways.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm fully on board, I think the writing's great so far and Mumbo looks god drat adorable!

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Lulti posted:

Quite bad, considering there used to be gray transparent text boxes before the black ones we see in the video, making it more difficult for some to read.
http://mundorare.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/ss-bk-nuts-and-bolts-typeface-comparison.png

Wow, that is just horrible. I thought the worst was the text on the Dead Rising games, but this is a strong contender.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

It's nice to see Nuts & Bolts actually running properly on the Xbox One now. When Rare Replay came out, the 360 backwards compatibility feature on the Xbox One was still in its early stages and kinda rough around the edges, so a lot of games had serious performance issues. Nuts & Bolts wasn't quite the worst offender of the bunch (that would've been Halo Reach) but it was pretty close as the whole thing seemed to run at approximately 20 fps. I bought Rare Replay on release but never tried Nuts & Bolts because of the known performance issues.

Microsoft's BC team has since overhauled their testing process (which was largely automated in those early days) and fixed the issues, so games like Nuts & Bolts play fine now and generally run smoother than they did on original 360 hardware. I should maybe go back and play Nuts & Bolts now, because it looks pretty fun.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 02: Nutty Acres

Hotdog.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

With all the spikes on that thing, I was hoping you'd name it Axiel, or Redesign, or something.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

NGDBSS posted:

Please tell me that you will show off exactly how far you can break the janky Havok physics engine.

In one of the other Nuts and Bolts LPs from quite some time ago, I remember someone created a vehicle that just utterly broke the physics engine over its knee in an amazing and horrifying fashion. As for the game itself, it really does seem to just have a ton of obvious padding just everywhere to extend the gameplay, and the dialogue is definitely missing the charm from the first two mainline games. Also never really liked the graphical style of the game, especially the character design of B-K and co, everyone just looks slightly off because of it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Yeah, I saw that old LP as well. Kinetikos was the crowning jewel but it wasn't an isolated example of physics or construction fuckery in this game.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I'm moving this weekend so there will be a slight pause in updates while I finish up the moving process and get settled in at my new place. I was planning to have a video today but I couldn't find the time to get one edited. Expect the next one sometime next week.

Also I'll definitely show off as much fun stuff as I can once we get into later vehicle parts and it gets a bit easier to build things.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Hamsterlady posted:

I'm moving this weekend so there will be a slight pause in updates while I finish up the moving process and get settled in at my new place. I was planning to have a video today but I couldn't find the time to get one edited. Expect the next one sometime next week.

Also I'll definitely show off as much fun stuff as I can once we get into later vehicle parts and it gets a bit easier to build things.

Moving tends to suck, so good luck with that. I been lurking this thread for a while now, and it's been a hoot - really looking forward to more!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 03: Logbox 720

This is kind of an early game low-point if I'm being honest.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Humba's clan, the Hag Dolls, is a reference to the old lady gamer clan, the Frag Dolls, and boy that's the first time I've thought about them for a very long time.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Glad you're back! I hope your move went smoothly.

Hahaha, it wasn't until you tried to lift off with the chair/trolley that I realised this game runs on the same engine as Sonic '06.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 21, 2020

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Those "LOG's Choice" missions seem incredibly frustrating. I mean, when the only sane way to use the vehicles they give you is "jump out, tear them apart, and build something more useful out of the pieces" you know they suck.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Beartaco posted:

Hahaha, it wasn't until you tried to lift off with the chair/trolley that I realised this game runs on the same engine as Sonic '06.

To be fair this game has considerably more polish and isn't nearly as broken as 06, it just had some questionably design decisions do to Microsoft severely bad understanding of their own console's primary audience.

Speaking of which Banjo and Kazooie were hardly the only ones to suffer because of this since not only did you have Kameo and Voodoo Vince but also Blinx the Time Sweeper, Microsoft's most infamous attempt to attract families to a console whose audience at the time was almost exclusively Halo fans and the one the company wanted to be the console's mascot instead of Master Chief.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Judge Tesla posted:

Humba's clan, the Hag Dolls, is a reference to the old lady gamer clan, the Frag Dolls, and boy that's the first time I've thought about them for a very long time.
The way you worded that made them sound like a gamer clan consisting of old ladies. :v:

But yeah, I remember Microsoft promoting them on Xbox Live quite a bit around the time Nuts & Bolts came out, so it was at least a pretty timely reference.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 22, 2020

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 04: Hero Klungo

Piddles is a character who matters and is important.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, some of the bugs in Klungo's mini-game have escaped into the main game proper it seems. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Mission design aside, Logbox 720 is just such an ugly world.