Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

suicidesteve posted:

The only person you're cheating by not cheating... is yourself.

Yeah, I'm not gonna give you poo poo for this cause as I understand, Canary Mary is complete bullshit so pretty much everyone cheeses this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, that second Canary Mary race is 100% BS. Flat out used a half-broken Madcatz controller with turbo to beat it, barely. The rubber banding is so incredibly busted.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
The way I see it, if the game cheats then you should feel no shame in cheating back. And Canary Mary blatantly cheats. I mean, what does she do, drain your inertia to power her own flight or something?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You know, for how amazingly terrible rare was at making races in their games, they sure loved putting races in their games.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

suicidesteve posted:

The only person you're cheating by not cheating... is yourself.

"Why should the race always go to the swift, or the jumble to the quick-witted? Should they win merely because of the gifts God gave them? I say cheating is a gift man gives himself!"- Mr Burns

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 22: Nice

Nice.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Nice.

I definitely remember that loving zubba at the top of the central chamber

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Nice.

I definitely remember that loving zubba at the top of the central chamber

Same, think that Zubba gets almost everyone at least once. Rare knew exactly what they were doing placing it there.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I've finally been catching up on these videos now that we're out of the holiday season! This game is so impressive. It's hugely ambitious, I have no idea how they even managed to make this for the N64. That they decided to release a sequel to a fairly standard 3d platformer and came out with this instead is incredible. The thing is though it just doesn't look like much fun. Maybe I'm missing the joy of actually exploring these ginormous interconnected spaces myself but compared to the more traditional and tightly designed levels of the first game this just kind of seems dull. It feels more like an RPG than anything, if that makes sense?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Banjo Kazooie - "fairly standard"?

This is an outrage!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Beartaco posted:

I've finally been catching up on these videos now that we're out of the holiday season! This game is so impressive. It's hugely ambitious, I have no idea how they even managed to make this for the N64. That they decided to release a sequel to a fairly standard 3d platformer and came out with this instead is incredible. The thing is though it just doesn't look like much fun. Maybe I'm missing the joy of actually exploring these ginormous interconnected spaces myself but compared to the more traditional and tightly designed levels of the first game this just kind of seems dull. It feels more like an RPG than anything, if that makes sense?

The game does have some traces of DK64's utterly massive levels crop up a few times, with Terrydactyland and Grunty Industries being the notable offenders. But just in general the levels are on the large side and that does lead to some areas where not to much is happening in the level, with a few just being large for the sake of it. Also, with every level except Cloud Cuckooland flat out needing a second trip to get everything can feel a tad sluggish and/or dull if you don't like that type of design, but Rare probably did want to try to create a different experience with B-T and they have shown a willingness to change up normal conventions, see the shooter Jet Force Gemini having collect-a-thon and even platforming elements on top of a... unorthodox control scheme, to put it lightly. (Still have a massive soft spot for JFG though, and still wish that it got a second game, although with the current state of Rare... yeah... :sigh:)

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 18, 2020

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

sebzilla posted:

Banjo Kazooie - "fairly standard"?

This is an outrage!

I know you're joking but I would like to put on the record, I love Banjo Kazooie and I think it's a better game than Mario 64!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Beartaco posted:

I know you're joking but I would like to put on the record, I love Banjo Kazooie and I think it's a better game than Mario 64!

Oh, definitely. Mario 64 is a tech demo with a game bolted on. Banjo Kazooie is so much more polished there's no comparison.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 23: Jiggy Cleanup 1

We begin revisiting old stages with Glitter Gulch Mine, Witchyworld, and Jolly Roger's Lagoon

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sorry Tiptup, but that was funny.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The level of morale difference between this and the previous video is palpable. Granted, I remember that being an issue for me and my brother playing the second game. It just kind of goes on. We just ended up playing a lot of the multiplayer instead.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
You know, I actually gave Rare the benefit of the doubt thinking that maybe the Minjos were just accidentally named after British slang for a vagina. After seeing "Mingy Jongo" I think I can confidently say they knew what they were doing.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Beartaco posted:

You know, I actually gave Rare the benefit of the doubt thinking that maybe the Minjos were just accidentally named after British slang for a vagina. After seeing "Mingy Jongo" I think I can confidently say they knew what they were doing.

Don't forget Gruntilda's sister Mingella.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Hamsterlady posted:

Don't forget Gruntilda's sister Mingella.

I'm not going to lie, this game has so little plot I forgot she even had sisters.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Beartaco posted:

Considering the fact that the devs were British? There's no way they did that on accident.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 24: Jiggy Cleanup 2

This game is pretty long, huh.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 25: Jiggy Cleanup 3
Part 26: Final Cleanup

We are making garbage, here.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Where's my loving money? Guh huh!

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 25, 2020

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Honestly a major thing with B-T vs B-K, besides the level size, is busywork, B-T just has a ton more padding in both levels and getting Jiggies then in B-K. It definitely still has some shades of DK64 in that matter, as that was another game that often didn't respect your time and made you jump through more and more hoops to get its' collectibles.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 27: Tower of Tragedy
Part 28: HAG 1

With this, Banjo-Tooie has come to a close. I hope you enjoyed it, even if the enthusiasm wasn't quite there for the last few videos.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I still love this game, even if like pretty much every N64 game it hasn't aged too well (though the Banjo games have aged better than most)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I love it too! We were pretty down on it in the last few videos, but honestly that's because I didn't think ahead and left pretty much all the busywork for the end. The game absolutely goes too far a lot of the time, but I think it strikes a good middle-ground between Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64, expanding upon the former but not hitting the miserable slog status of the latter. I prefer Kazooie, but I can understand and respect people who prefer Tooie because it honestly is a good game still.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The way I've always looked at them is Kazooie is fun to 100% (because you pretty much have to to beat it,) while Tooie is fun to beat. Nuts and Bolts is fun until it's not.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm disappointed Wozza never showed up. He was my favourite NPC from the first one!

I'm genuinely happy Bottles is okay at the end, that was truly hosed up just icing him like that.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 28, 2020

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Fun thing, if you head back to Bottle's House after the Quiz, the front door is locked and you can hear disco music coming from the house. The back door grate is also raised and disco lights are flashing inside, so it must have been one heck of a party. This also means if you didn't get the zoom feature from one of Bottle's kids, you now can't pick it up. Cauldron Keep itself was actually going to be the final world, complete with 10 Jiggies, but was cut for time, which is why there is 90 Jiggies instead of 100. Still, for all its problems in the latter parts, B-T is still a fine game, although I prefer B-K for its quicker tempo, memorable worlds, general fun and very solid pacing.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Diddy Kong Racing Banjo Pilot is a game released in 1997 2005 for the Nintendo 64 Gameboy Advance. It features a unique racing scheme where the player can choose between a kart, plane, or hovercraft.

While not the main character, Banjo is a playable character in this game. This is interesting because he appeared in this game before any game of his own.

This isn't actually a let's play of Banjo Pilot. Think of it more as bonus videos. I'm not going through Pilot with nearly the necessary attention for me to feel right calling it an actual let's play.

Banjo Bonus: Banjo Pilot Part 1

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Hamsterlady posted:

Diddy Kong Racing Banjo Pilot is a game released in 1997 2005 for the Nintendo 64 Gameboy Advance. It features a unique racing scheme where the player can choose between a kart, plane, or hovercraft.

While not the main character, Banjo is a playable character in this game. This is interesting because he appeared in this game before any game of his own.

This isn't actually a let's play of Banjo Pilot. Think of it more as bonus videos. I'm not going through Pilot with nearly the necessary attention for me to feel right calling it an actual let's play.

Banjo Bonus: Banjo Pilot Part 1

That looked horrifyingly bad. Like, I'm pretty sure I've seen better NES graphics. Oh, and the game looks bad, too.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
What's worse, putting Sonic the Hedgehog in a car or Kazooie in a plane?

I was just typing out that I think the graphics, in particularly the racing graphics actually seem alright. Then I got to the trophy screen, hoo boy. Still I'd take this over Grunty's Revenge any day.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 30, 2020

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Wow that sure is some incredibly lazy pallet swapping there, just cram in a B-K series background consistency be damned I guess. Also, in the final trophy screen it was the Treasure Trove Cove background but sans any water, which frankly looked a tad concerning to be honest.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo Bonus: Banjo Pilot Part 2

It's the rest of Banjo Pilot, even more truncated than the first part.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Welp, just when I thought this game could not get any more lazy/phoned it, they somehow manage it anyway.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo Bonus: Pilot Prototypes
Banjo Bonus: Diddy Kong Racing

We explore the harrowed development of Banjo Pilot, and take a look at the origin of the bear.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Inspired by the second Banjo Pilot video, I sat down and spent far more time than is even remotely sane or reasonable creating this timeline. Things highlighted in blue are the more directly relevant things, but there's more stuff for context.
(Apologies to the guy who did this joke first, I just couldn't resist. I also couldn't find your name. )

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Wow that last prototype is absurdly cool! It looks amazing and I don't even think the performance was that bad. I feel like any issues people might have had would have been overshadowed by them looking at it and going "holy poo poo look at what they did with a drat gameboy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo Bonus: Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing with Banjo-Kazooie

Featuring Banjo from the Banjo-Kazooie series.