Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Oh, glad I saw this thread, I love the first two Banjo-Kazooie games, so its great seeing a new LP of them. The short but sweet nature of most of the worlds was always a huge plus for me, with the last two being a great skill test, although I wish the original had permanent note collection, dieing at around 90ish notes was just brutal in the final two worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
In the control room that had the last couple of notes, I think that large map is of Treasure Trove Cove from a top down perspective. You can see the tower at the back where you start the X marks the spot Jiggy hunt, as well as several other features that line up with that level. It just looks kinda weird as it really doesn't make terrain height changes stand out very well, if at all, and major landmarks like Blubbers ship and the Lighthouse are not shown.

Also, yeah, out of all levels in the game, think Rusty Bucket Bay is by far the most stressful, even more so then the final level. That engine room, ugh, don't think I ever had a playthrough where I didn't fall into the abyss at least once. Its even worse if you happen to land on one of the random pipes right above the death plane, as there is no way back up, so you have to just jump off to your doom. Still loved playing it though.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Fun thing, you can also destroy the door to the rental room in Jolly's Inn with a Grenade Egg to avoid having to pay the 2 doubloons and you can even still destroy it after you paid if you just want to be mean. I could have sworn that he then charged you for blowing it up, but checking the wiki for the game, that doesn't seem to actually be the case. Not that there is any need to do that, as you get more then enough doubloons to buy everything in town.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this level is where I think B-T really begins to drag a bit and starts having levels that are just to big for their own good. Also, never noticed how limited use Mumbo and the various transformations were either, most of them really are just 2-3 small things and then done.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahh, Grunty Industries, the level that took me ages to puzzle through without a guide back in the day. While I really like sneaking in via taking the train, man is the place just not fun or easy to navigate at all, and having to constantly deal with or dodge those security robots really, really gets old fast, double so with how quickly the security cameras respawn. This level was definitely the line for me where the game's levels just got to big and complex for their own good.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, that FPS section, real bad memories of being flat out stuck on it forever. Think I had to look up a GameFAQs guide to find every Clinker eventually.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, that second Canary Mary race is 100% BS. Flat out used a half-broken Madcatz controller with turbo to beat it, barely. The rubber banding is so incredibly busted.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Nice.

I definitely remember that loving zubba at the top of the central chamber

Same, think that Zubba gets almost everyone at least once. Rare knew exactly what they were doing placing it there.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Beartaco posted:

I've finally been catching up on these videos now that we're out of the holiday season! This game is so impressive. It's hugely ambitious, I have no idea how they even managed to make this for the N64. That they decided to release a sequel to a fairly standard 3d platformer and came out with this instead is incredible. The thing is though it just doesn't look like much fun. Maybe I'm missing the joy of actually exploring these ginormous interconnected spaces myself but compared to the more traditional and tightly designed levels of the first game this just kind of seems dull. It feels more like an RPG than anything, if that makes sense?

The game does have some traces of DK64's utterly massive levels crop up a few times, with Terrydactyland and Grunty Industries being the notable offenders. But just in general the levels are on the large side and that does lead to some areas where not to much is happening in the level, with a few just being large for the sake of it. Also, with every level except Cloud Cuckooland flat out needing a second trip to get everything can feel a tad sluggish and/or dull if you don't like that type of design, but Rare probably did want to try to create a different experience with B-T and they have shown a willingness to change up normal conventions, see the shooter Jet Force Gemini having collect-a-thon and even platforming elements on top of a... unorthodox control scheme, to put it lightly. (Still have a massive soft spot for JFG though, and still wish that it got a second game, although with the current state of Rare... yeah... :sigh:)

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 18, 2020

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Honestly a major thing with B-T vs B-K, besides the level size, is busywork, B-T just has a ton more padding in both levels and getting Jiggies then in B-K. It definitely still has some shades of DK64 in that matter, as that was another game that often didn't respect your time and made you jump through more and more hoops to get its' collectibles.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Fun thing, if you head back to Bottle's House after the Quiz, the front door is locked and you can hear disco music coming from the house. The back door grate is also raised and disco lights are flashing inside, so it must have been one heck of a party. This also means if you didn't get the zoom feature from one of Bottle's kids, you now can't pick it up. Cauldron Keep itself was actually going to be the final world, complete with 10 Jiggies, but was cut for time, which is why there is 90 Jiggies instead of 100. Still, for all its problems in the latter parts, B-T is still a fine game, although I prefer B-K for its quicker tempo, memorable worlds, general fun and very solid pacing.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Wow that sure is some incredibly lazy pallet swapping there, just cram in a B-K series background consistency be damned I guess. Also, in the final trophy screen it was the Treasure Trove Cove background but sans any water, which frankly looked a tad concerning to be honest.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Welp, just when I thought this game could not get any more lazy/phoned it, they somehow manage it anyway.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

NGDBSS posted:

Please tell me that you will show off exactly how far you can break the janky Havok physics engine.

In one of the other Nuts and Bolts LPs from quite some time ago, I remember someone created a vehicle that just utterly broke the physics engine over its knee in an amazing and horrifying fashion. As for the game itself, it really does seem to just have a ton of obvious padding just everywhere to extend the gameplay, and the dialogue is definitely missing the charm from the first two mainline games. Also never really liked the graphical style of the game, especially the character design of B-K and co, everyone just looks slightly off because of it.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, some of the bugs in Klungo's mini-game have escaped into the main game proper it seems. :ohdear:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
That truly was a glorious mess. It really does seem that they went out of their way to make things as annoying as possible in Showdown Town though, what with the NPCs endlessly getting in the way, platforming without any platforming-based moves, the cops now being an issue when carrying Jiggies, etc. Although I am surprised that just carrying Mumbo crates is still allowed without being pestered, with everything else, would think those would have become illegal contraband or something by now. Also, love the addition of the frog buddy in Battletoads, that's a great touch.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Squiddycat posted:

"You've completely trivialized this..."

Also a good description for completing many of the challenges in general.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

64bitrobot posted:

"It looks cool, it's just kind of miserable to play." is a pretty good summary of this game.

Yeah, agreed. Also the main hub especially is just large for the sake of being large, with absolutely nothing but to really fill it. Honestly you could cut down the size of Showdown Town by a good 1/3 and not lose anything. Probably also reduce the number of worthless in the way wondering npc citizens as well, as wow, they really are just there to be in the way and make repeated one-liners if you run into them.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
:stare: Well umm, those certainly were some physics there in Showdown Town... And wow, forgotten how... messy the Terrarium was. As for the whole mercenary mercenary thing, it was a play on both meanings of the word mercenary, eg. a person who does some service solely for the pay and a mercenary solider.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

64bitrobot posted:

I feel as though investing some time into building a nice flyable helicopter or jetcopter would make traveling through most of the maps much more enjoyable.

Sounds like it is time to build the Turbo Tunnel hover bike then... :frogsiren:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Dang, that whole Grunty challenge is just mindbogglingly long for no reason whatsoever, huh?

suicidesteve posted:

Nuts and Bolts is fun until it's not.

Aka the Donkey Kong 64 effect.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Kacie posted:

Got to say - the first two games looked fun. This...not so much.

Yeah, a worryingly growing number of these missions are combining laziness (having like 3 bring a thing from point A to point B missions all on the same act is... something alright) with outright unfun to play BS. (That Mr. Patch mission looked just incredibly horrible) Combined with the boring to flat out hostile writing and yikes. Still, least Battletoads has somehow been the standout star through all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Pretty much. It's a custom vehicle builder where half the missions force you to use a specific pre built car instead.

Yeah, plus the pre-mission descriptions on a good number of the L.O.G.'s Choice missions and even some of the Jinjo missions talk about needing a certain vehicle type or they make a suggestion on what to build. This really makes it seem that L.O.G.'s Choice got added to various missions at some stage of development and no one noticed and/or cared to rewrite the mission description to match.