Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Hello! My name is Ashley, and I love the Banjo-Kazooie series, and Rareware as a developer. I'm here to take you on a walk through my favorite series of all time, the Banjo-Kazooie trilogy (or "Banjo-Triloogie" as I like to call it. The G is soft like in 'trilogy' not like 'loogie'.)

I'll be playing each game on the Xbox 360, and showing off the renewed Stop n Swop feature, which was originally a dummied out mechanic meant to carry data between Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, restored in the 360 versions. Joining me are several of my good friends, as rotating commentators.

Currently Playing:

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is the 2008 sequel to Banjo-Tooie, for the Xbox 360. It's very different from the first two games, but it's awesome and you're all wrong about it being bad.

It's a vehicular action game where you construct your own cars and planes and motorcycles and weird giant rocket powered spheres and whatever else you feel like and then use them to complete challenges for Jiggies and Trophies.

This is a 100% run. I'll be completing every mission to Trophy standard and showing off the DLC.

Part 01: Welcome to Showdown Town
Part 02: Nutty Acres
Part 03: Logbox 720
Part 04: Hero Klungo
Part 05: Sequence Break
Part 06: Banjo Land
Part 07: Ex-Wife
Part 08: A Mess
Part 09: Save the World
Part 10: The Jiggoseum
Part 11: Return to Nutty Acres
Part 12: Sports
Part 13: Super Banjo Universe
Part 14: Terrarium of Terror
Part 15: All Jinjos are Bastards
Part 16: Billiard Bonanza
Part 17: Banjo Funko Tactics
Part 18: They Don't Get It
Part 19: Giving Up
Part 20: Cool Stunts
Part 21: This Game Will Make You Bleed
Part 22: Some of my Best Friends are Jinjos

Mumbo's Motors 01: Battletoads
Mumbo's Motors 02: Armored Van
Mumbo's Motors 03: Boattletoads
Mumbo's Motors 04: Arwing
Mumbo's Motors 05: Clanker
Mumbo's Motors 06: Turbo Speeder

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Kazooie was released in 1998 on the Nintendo 64 by Rare. It's a 3D platformer starring both a bird and a bear. Released when I was five, it quickly became my favorite game. And over twenty years later, I still feel the same!

This version of the game is from the Xbox Live Arcade, because it's the best version I've ever played. It features cleaner graphics, smoother framerates, and the long rumored Stop n Swop. The improvements they made will make your eyeballs pop!

My name is Ashley, and I will be playing. Rotating guests will be surveying. Join us for good times galore. I hope you don't find these videos a bore!

Part 1: Spiral Mountain
Part 2: Mumbo's Mountain
Part 3: Treasure Trove Cove
Part 4: Clanker's Cavern
Part 5: Bubblegloop Swamp
Part 6: Freezeezy Peak
Part 7: Gobi's Valley
Part 8: Mad Monster Mansion
Part 9: Rusty Bucket Bay
Part 10: Click Clock Wood, Spring and Summer
Part 11: Click Clock Wood, Autumn and Winter
Part 12: Stop 'n' Swop
Part 13: Furnace Fun
Part 14: Grunty
Epilogue

In 2003, Rareware asked "could we make a Banjo-Kazooie game with all the trimmings on the Gameboy Advance" and nobody stopped to ask "should we." It was released after Rare was sold to Microsoft, so it's published by THQ of all people.

It takes place between Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. The soul of Gruntilda possesses a robot/time machine and goes back in time to kill Kazooie before she ever met Banjo, so they couldn't defeat her back in Banjo-Kazooie.

It tries to replicate the gameplay of the N64 games in a pseudo-3D top-down view and honestly, it doesn't do a great job. It works, they got it all in there, but the camera makes it hard to judge distance and the game just isn't super fun. It does have some neat ideas though and I'd like to show them off.

Part 1: Prologue
Part 2: Cliff Farm
Part 3: Breegull Beach
Part 4: Bad Magic Bayou
Part 5: Spiller's Harbor
Part 6: Freezing Furnace
Part 7: Gruntilda

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 10, 2020

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Tooie is the sequel to Banjo-Kazooie, released in the year 2000 for the Nintendo 64. It's very much "Banjo-Kazooie but a whole lot more." The stages are huge, there are more abilities to learn, and a lot of additional mechanics. It's a huge game. Some might say TOO huge. I think Tooie is a fantastic game, and many say it's better than Kazooie, but I personally prefer the tight, concise deisgn of Kazooie of the enormous world of Tooie.

Once again, this will be the Xbox Live Arcade version of the game. Similar to the first game, it adds in Stop n Swop functionality (If you collected the Stop n Swop items in Kazooie, as we did, there will be things unlocked in Tooie) and yet more bonuses for Nuts and Bolts. There's also multiplayer which isn't online for some reason, as well as a Stop n Swop for a future Banjo game that will never be released.

Again, I'm Ashley and I will be playing with my buddy Jesse, alongside the occasional third commentator.

Part 1: Intro
Part 2: Jinjo Village
Part 3: Mayahem Temple
Part 4: Goldeneye
Part 5: Arson
Part 6: Perfect Dark
Part 7: Stop n Swop (Continued)
Part 8: Witchyworld
Part 9: Roysten
Part 10: Seaman's Surprise
Part 11: Woo Fak Fak
Part 12: Terrydactyland
Part 13: Pretzel
Part 14: Grunty Industries
Part 15: Perfect Dark Zero
Part 16: The Ice Key
Part 17: Hailfire Peaks
Part 18: Brothers
Part 19: Mumbo Miracles
Part 20: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Part 21: Canary Mary
Part 22: Nice
Part 23: Jiggy Cleanup 1
Part 24: Jiggy Cleanup 2
Part 25: Jiggy Cleanup 3
Part 26: Final Cleanup
Part 27: Tower of Tragedy
Part 28: HAG 1

Banjo Bonus: Intro (N64 Version)
Banjo Bonus: Banjo Pilot Part 1
Banjo Bonus: Banjo Pilot Part 2
Banjo Bonus: Pilot Prototypes
Banjo Bonus: Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo Bonus: Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing with Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo Bonus: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 10, 2020

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 3: Treasure Trove Cove (Featuring Jesse)

Banjo and Kazooie go on a nice summer trip, but the beach is covered in clams, sharks, and crabs that snip!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Rogue 7 posted:

I'm about 30 seconds into the first video and I'm already jamming out to the fantastic music. God, I love this series. Can't wait to watch the whole thing!

If you haven't listened to the Smash Bros remixes already, you really should. They're all extremely good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-PxmYbW-2c

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The remix above is fantastic. I dare say it may even be bombastic.

Part 4: Clanker's Cavern (Featuring Jesse)

We enter the cavern and dive deep into the drink. This level isn't the best, I think!

Supplemental video

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I didn't actually know, so I just booted up Banjo.

He drops 3 every time, but honeycombs in the stage cap at ten. As you create more, the oldest ones vanish again and again.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 5: Bubblegloop Swamp

We explore Bubblegloop Swamp; watching out for frogs, dragonflies, and crocs that chomp.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 6: Freezeezy Peak

It's time for Freezeezy Peak, a Christmas mountain with our final technique.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 16, 2019

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

FoolyCharged posted:

I love how much anger at sir slushes you had, only to run around the stage completely before picking up the move that killed them and only finishing killing them as your second to last jiggy.
Also theres a flight pad on one of the house's chimney

Boggy is the best parent and those kids are gonna be ok!

The Sir Slushes themselves do not provoke my ire, it's killing them that drives me haywire.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Damanation posted:

I don't know if it happened to anyone else, but your audio seemed to desync when you started talking about the mysterious inaccessible room.

There were sync issues that I thought I had fixed already. I will attempt to correct it so the audio remains steady.

edit: The video has been corrected. The audio can now be respected.

Let's Play Banjo-Kazooie Part 06: Freezeezy Peak

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 16, 2019

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 7: Gobi's Valley

The bear and bird explore the sandy desert. I think Gobi would look good in a nice polo shirt.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 8: Mad Monster Mansion

We explore a mansion filled with ghosts. The bats are called Nibbly, please inform the two hosts.

Supplemental Video:
Rare Revealed: A Rare Look at Dream

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Thank you all for your kind words. I'm excited to share more adventures of bears and birds!

JossiRossi posted:

Oh man, this version messed up the Organ playing. In the N64 the note played would be in tune with the music. This one it played the same flat note each time instead of changing based on the music.

I completely forgot about this. I appreciate you noting what I miss!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 9: Rusty Bucket Bay

It's finally time for Rusty Bucket Bay. I fall in the Engine Room every time I play.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 10: Click Clock Wood, Spring and Summer
Part 11: Click Clock Wood, Autumn and Winter

We've obtained our final Jiggy and the last Notes. But there's more to be done before we hang our coats.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Thank you for this information of which I was unaware. I humbly apologize to wasps everywhere.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 12: Stop 'n' Swop

At last, the mysteries of Stop 'n' Swop are laid bare. We begin a long process most Rare.

Supplemental Video
Rare Revealed: The Making of Banjo-Kazooie

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 13: Furnace Fun
Part 14: Grunty
Epilogue

And with that, Banjo-Kazooie has come to a close. Gruntilda is no longer around to impose.

Before the next game, there will be a short wait. I will be out of town, and won't be able to update.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Beartaco posted:

What happens in Click Clock Wood if you visit the squirrel or the bird in the next season without feeding them in the one prior? Have they just starved to death?

An excellent question with an answer I do not know. I can check myself, but it will be slow.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The rhyming gimmick was very fun, but I fear it's becoming a bit overdone.

It's finally time for the much anticipated direct sequel to Banjo-Kazooie.

In 2003, Rareware asked "could we make a Banjo-Kazooie game with all the trimmings on the Gameboy Advance" and nobody stopped to ask "should we." It was released after Rare was sold to Microsoft, so it's published by THQ of all people.

It takes place between Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. The soul of Gruntilda possesses a robot/time machine and goes back in time to kill Kazooie before she ever met Banjo, so they couldn't defeat her back in Banjo-Kazooie.

It tries to replicate the gameplay of the N64 games in a pseudo-3D top-down view and honestly, it doesn't do a great job. It works, they got it all in there, but the camera makes it hard to judge distance and the game just isn't super fun. It does have some neat ideas though and I'd like to show them off.

Part 1: Prologue
Part 2: Cliff Farm

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I worry we may have been to hard on it. I don't think it's a very good game, but I do think it's pretty good for what it is. It does successfully move the formula to GBA, I just don't think the formula works super great in a top-down sprite based game.

Also the minigames are really bad and really plentiful.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The only minigame in Grunty's Revenge I'd say isn't actively unpleasant to play is the slide. As we get further and they do variations you'll see how bad they can get; the Cliff Farm ones are easy enough to be inoffensive.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 3: Breegull Beach

It's Treasure Trove Cove, but not as good. Featuring little baby Cap'n Blubber.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 4: Bad Magic Bayou

Sometimes you get a whole bunch of crabs.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Thank you for letting me know. YouTube has been having a lot of trouble with the most basic of tasks the last few days, so I'm not surprised it got confused and triple added it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 5: Spiller's Harbor

Welcome to Skegness.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 6: Freezing Furnace

Grunty's an imperialist.

Fun fact I completely forgot about when recording this: Freezing Furnace was originally going to be two stages: Freezing Fjords and Fiery Furnace. Due to cartridge space limitations, they truncated both levels and put them together into one level.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

FoolyCharged posted:

You actually can tell the crabs from the fish in that final fishing game. The first dart and stop, while the crabs walk at a constant pace.

The mini game is still horrid.

I looked at like four FAQs and they all said "it's all luck" so I guess don't trust GameFAQs as a source for your LP commentary.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 7: Gruntilda

Mumbo is horny.

And with that, Grunty's Revenge is finally over. It was half the videos of Banjo-Kazooie, but felt like it went on twice as long.

Tooie starts on Monday!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I was going to do a writeup on some of the changes made to this game during development, but I realized I'd just be restating what's already on The Cutting Room Floor and its prototype pages. It's definitely an interesting read though and I highly recommend it for anyone fascinated by development stuff. They clearly had some ideas that hit against the limits of the format.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Tooie is the sequel to Banjo-Kazooie, released in the year 2000 for the Nintendo 64. It's very much "Banjo-Kazooie but a whole lot more." The stages are huge, there are more abilities to learn, and a lot of additional mechanics. It's a huge game. Some might say TOO huge. I think Tooie is a fantastic game, and many say it's better than Kazooie, but I personally prefer the tight, concise deisgn of Kazooie of the enormous world of Tooie.

Once again, this will be the Xbox Live Arcade version of the game. Similar to the first game, it adds in Stop n Swop functionality (If you collected the Stop n Swop items in Kazooie, as we did, there will be things unlocked in Tooie) and yet more bonuses for Nuts and Bolts. There's also multiplayer which isn't online for some reason, as well as a Stop n Swop for a future Banjo game that will never be released.

Again, I'm Ashley and I will be playing, with rotating guests once more.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

NOTE: I was under the impression that the Banjo XBLA ports ran at 60fps, and thus was recording at 720p60 (my capture card can't do 1080p60). I've realized that no, they run at a locked 30 fps, so the next session will be 1080p.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 3: Mayahem Temple

Unga Bunga is my favorite character.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Beartaco posted:

What happens in Click Clock Wood if you visit the squirrel or the bird in the next season without feeding them in the one prior? Have they just starved to death?

I finally had the time to find this out. If you skip an Eyrie step, he simply vanishes between seasons. Nabnut is actually fine in Winter if you skip him; I guess it was only six acorns. If you skip the flower, you cannot do it out of order. Any attempt to plant it in a different season does nothing.

The interesting one is skipping Gnawty the beaver. He actually has dialog as he remains trapped outside his house.

Autumn: "It's getting a bit chilly out here. I wish I was inside..."
Winter: "Brr. This water's freezing and I'm still stuck outside, thanks to you!"

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 4: Goldeneye

This is just like Battlefield.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

whitehelm posted:

Is there any way to increase the brightness? I don't remember things being that dark when I played.

I noticed this issue some during the next recording session (which is the next 4ish videos) and plan to try and find a solution before I record any more. There's no in-game brightness settings, but I'm gonna see what I can do with my Xbox and capture device and see if either of them are the weak link (I notice it on my TV too, but it passes through the Elgato so I can't rule it out as the problem without testing without it.)

Luckily the darkness is only a serious issue in a couple of very, very dark areas such as the FPS area in the latest video.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

whitehelm posted:

Banjo-Kazooie looked fine, so did anything change in between recording that and this game?

Nothing changed at all. In the next video I switch from 720 to 1080 but the videos that have been uploaded so far are all identical in recording process.

I've fixed the issue in a couple of test recordings, though. So starting with episode 10, everything should be good. I'm sorry for the issue, I have no idea why Tooie came out super dark when Kazooie didn't.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I got an Xbox One over Black Friday and it all looks fine there, so either the colorspace thing was the issue and changing consoles fixed it automatically, the Xbox was the issue, or it was switching from component to HDMI. I did all of these at once so who knows!

Part 5: Arson

A merry old soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 6: Perfect Dark

The only game Moonbeam Funk has played.