Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While the piranha story is technically true and they are considered dangerous, like sharks they are the unfortunate victims of an over-exaggerated reputation as Doctor Why explains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5WWyB3fpHU (8:24)

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Mumbo magic, not have to explain poo poo!

Fun fact, it's possible to not lose any Twinklies by taking out the first Twinkly Muncher and then standing on the box the Twinklies emerge from since the Twinkly Munchers don't spawn off screen.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Correction, wasps are just as important as bees if not more so: https://cyanocoraxx.tumblr.com/post/183796177483

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Transcript for those who can't see it:

cyanocoraxx posted:

with summer coming fast i just wanna share a psa on wasps and why they’re good too.
- they do serve a purpose in the ecosystem. wasps are vital predators of aphids and blackflies. with no predation, one cabbage aphid could cover our planet in 822 million tonnes of bugs because they’re so fertile, as estimated by zoologist mark carwardine. not only do wasps eat for themselves, but they need to provide for their grubs too, so that’s even more aphids getting picked off every day. parasitic wasps of the family trichogrammatidae are used in horticulture for biological control of pests. trichogramma galloi is used to control sugarcane borers and encarsia formosa is used to control whitefly, a pest of tomato, cucumber, aubergine and strawberry. on some farms they even replace chemical pesticides.

- they are effective pollinators with some species contributing massively to the maintenance of plant populations. there are over 800 species of fig tree and each one has its own specific fig wasp. without one another, neither the fig nor fig wasp can complete their life-cycle - a clear example of co-evolution that has been successful for over 60 million years. Figs are a keystone species in tropical regions worldwide – their fruit supports the diets of at least 1,274 mammals and birds, meaning that the extinction of fig wasps would therefore be catastrophic in tropical ecosystems. furthermore, at least 100 orchid species rely on european wasps and common wasps for pollination.

- paper wasps and potter wasps make amazing artists. they can construct flawless nests made of wood and create stunning miniature pot nests out of nothing but mud and saliva. in one amazing case, a colony of paper wasps constructed a rainbow-coloured nest using coloured sheets of paper as shown on the right. (menchetti 2016)

- wasps are socially intelligent. not only can paper wasps recognise each other by the colour patterns on their faces, but they can still do so after at least one week apart. (sheehan and tibbetts 2008) european wasps can learn to recognise human faces. despite having no evolutionary reason for doing so, they construct holistic representations of complex images to remember a specific human face. (avarguès-weber et al 2018) sand wasps tend to two or three chambers each day. each chamber is in a different location and each larva is at a different developmental stage. it was found that they learn the configuration of landmarks around each concealed chamber in order to find them. this means that the wasp learns where the chambers are and which action is needed at each. (baerends 1939)

- the world’s smallest known insect is a fairy wasp! at only 139-240 micrometres long, dicopomorpha echmepterygis is smaller than some paramecium and amoeba species. the fairy wasp family also contains the smallest flying insect, kikiki huna. adult lifespans are very short, only lasting for a few days. several species are used as biological pest control agents. some species are even aquatic, using their wings as tiny paddles to swim around.

- social wasps are frequent models for batesian mimicry and müllerian mimicry. this means that non-stinging insects use wasps as a base to appear threatening to predators. their presence thus changes how other insects evolve. even bees such as the nomad bee have evolved to mimic wasps. (yellowjacket wasp on the left, clearwing moth on the right.)

I actually had a wasp's nest in an outdoor storage cabinet this summer and didn't have any issues beyond one or two flying towards me though I never got stung. I checked it periodically ends August and September to see if they've left and plucked it off the self it was under once they did.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 24, 2019

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The Breegull Beach video is listed three times in your Grunty's Revenge playlist by the way.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Given that Jamjars' reaction to his brother's decidedly ignoble death was "Why am I not surprised?", you're probably right about why the duo were willing to tell him in the first place as he seems more annoyed with Bottles for dying do to his own idiocy.

Speaking of the good drill sergeant, Jamjars' military cadence has a bit of an interesting history to it:

You see it's based on the Duckworth Chant, created in 1944 by Private Duckworth of the U.S. Army: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6bhv4i8qso

This cadence, also known as Sound Off, was adapted by Scott Watson to a range that would work with young bands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSY_a8_3sV8

The cadence was made popular by films about the Army, most famously the 1987 film Full Metal Jacket crude language disclaimer for this one since it's the late R. Lee Ermey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEiWXz3BkpA

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Humba is more likely based on how Native Americans were depicted in Disney's Peter Pan since Pocahontas did poorly in Europe as I recall.

And while her transformation magic is arguably better than Mumbo's was in the first game, he does do some impressive stuff as the game goes on so I think it evens out.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You're actually not that far off, they planned to convert an in-development Diddy Kong Racing game for the GameCube into a 360 game called Sabreman Stampede following Rare's acquisition though sadly that ended up getting canned as well do to lack of direction.

As for Nuts & Bolts, the issue is that not only the variety is vehicle focused in a platformer series meaning the player base wants variety focused around actual platforming rather than complete genre shifts, something Nitro Rad on YouTube has been very vocal about in his reviews, but it can be repetitive since it's very common to just make and use something specifically geared towards the challenge (e.g. using your fastest vehicle for racing) and many challenges don't even let you use your own vehicle.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Rather Watch Them posted:

Y'know, Mumbo wouldn't have to deal with the fire hands if you used the shortcut in his hut.

I only mention because it's really easy to miss if you didn't read the hint inside the volcano...

Oh wait.

I was about to say I know one of the levels has a tunnel connecting his hut to Wumba's wigwam but I couldn't remember if it was this level or another one.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

suicidesteve posted:

The only person you're cheating by not cheating... is yourself.

Yeah, I'm not gonna give you poo poo for this cause as I understand, Canary Mary is complete bullshit so pretty much everyone cheeses this one.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah I can confirm that the second Samba de Amigo does return in Transformed with Mambo De Verano as its theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiUhOhTynZI

In case you were wondering: the other Samba de Amigo track in Transformed uses Vamos a Carnaval as its theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdbtrxGSDsc

And while I don't hate Nuts & Bolts, I am glad Smash uses the duo's classic design since the N&B designs don't really work outside that game. I also kinda want to see you try to recreate Banjo's All-Stars Racing vehicle in N&B just to see how accurate to the source game's vehicle style that Racing was.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I do like that the DLC Spirits have some logic put into them because I remember the Phantom Thieves as Spirits also doing this when Joker was first added.

Plus the Shantae possessing Samus meme will never not make me laugh.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

azren posted:

I can see how people would be pretty pissed by that opening. "Oh, you wanted a new B-K game? Sure, sure, but the format of game that you grew up with and loved just sucks, so play something different" is really insulting. I didn't even play a lot of this kind of game growing up, and I'm still a little ticked at the attitude.

To be fair, I think that was supposed to establish LoG as an unlikable jackass that represents Microsoft given Rare staff weren't too happy with Microsoft's bullshit.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kacie posted:

There's establishing LoG as an unlikable jackass, and then there's going out of your way to trash your main characters, taunt folks with what could have been, and then dump them in a new game that probably wasn't what they expected to get when they bought the game.

I only know these games thanks to this LP, and I found the intro to be really patronizing and irritating.

Makes no sense to set up their fans to immediately hate the new game, when it looks like there is a good, fun game underneath it all. That is poor anticipation of how the opening would be received, and a great way to guarantee the game doesn't sell well enough to continue the series.

I suspect that Rare were hoping that Microsoft would reverse its purchase of Rare if they saw Rare's stuff wasn't selling well enough to have been worth it since the buy out screw Rare over in multiple ways.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Beartaco posted:

Hahaha, it wasn't until you tried to lift off with the chair/trolley that I realised this game runs on the same engine as Sonic '06.

To be fair this game has considerably more polish and isn't nearly as broken as 06, it just had some questionably design decisions do to Microsoft severely bad understanding of their own console's primary audience.

Speaking of which Banjo and Kazooie were hardly the only ones to suffer because of this since not only did you have Kameo and Voodoo Vince but also Blinx the Time Sweeper, Microsoft's most infamous attempt to attract families to a console whose audience at the time was almost exclusively Halo fans and the one the company wanted to be the console's mascot instead of Master Chief.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh that long jump is fun to run every vehicle you have to see which can go the furthest. It's especially funny that your strategy uses isn't that different than that of the eternal glory that is the Kinetikos: :siren: Motion sickness warning :siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tEU59v9aMk

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 5, 2020

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

azren posted:

Why doesn't Battletoads have the giant fist on it?

Probably because the fist is useless compared to the guns already on it, honestly the scuba chair we just got would be legitimately more useful for it since it's technically already a water vehicle.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'm sadly not surprised to see this is where things go south, this game is infamous for a reason. Rooreelooo made a decent LP of it that's sadly been lost to history and Dex01 did a decent LP of this where he was upfront about his opinion on it:

Dex01 posted:

It was a pretty brave move and not one I think many studios would be daring enough to try. Personally I don't really think it worked. I will be upfront and honest and admit that my thinking on this game is biased. I don't particularly like it because it's not a Banjo game. It's just a game that has the name attached to it and which the characters are present in. You could swap out any other franchise and put it in this games environment and it would still function the same way. That's just my take on it however and despite my hang-ups I do still try to enjoy the game and do sometimes find myself having fun with it.

And to be honest, I feel like this would have been better as a toy line rather than a video game since then they could focus purely on vehicle building without any of the missions weighing it down, hell Rare had thought to integrate a toy into a game at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As Nitro Rad (someone who has reviewed many B grade platformers over his Youtube career) rightly noted in his review of it, the main issue with Yooka-Laylee seems to be that Playtonic did not seem to learn for the mistakes of the B grade platformers that released during to the interim between YL and Banjo Tooie resulting in them repeating many of those same mistakes.

As he says: "Yooka-Laylee is a classic platformer in every sense of the word, and I do mean every sense of the word. With the classic platformer fun comes the classic platformer bullshit and Yooka-Laylee is unfortunately packed to the brim with it."

By contrast while Crash 4 is bullshit hard to 100%, to the point that 100% completion is not recommended, it is also a very focused experience where nothing strays too far from the core formula of the original three games but also clearly studying all the came after.