Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I generally liked the first two seasons but this one has definitely felt like they've completely lost the thread. Like Ryan being made CEO seems designed to remove all the stuff that made her an interesting choice for the new Batwoman and now everything revolves around her secret super rich family.

Also the justification for why they have to keep Alice around is just super weak, especially because every character hates her, for good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

If I do not like Alice at all, would I get anything from watching the current season? I'm hearing some good things and I'm intrigued by some of the villains that are popping up.

I tuned out about halfway through last season because of Alice, it just felt like they were bending over backwards to give her reasons to stick around and I found her shtick really ran its course and became super annoying.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

All the stuff with Ryan's secret super rich family is intensely soapy, and if you aren't in the mood to see attractive women in expensive outfits trade barbs I can see why that plot would turn people off.

Alice's plot this season has been interesting because while on the one hand the justification for her being on the team is paper thin, but on the other she clearly wants to have a connection with Mary and the rest of the Bat Team because they're the last connection to her life as Beth (and yes, Alice killing Mary's mom obviously is a big fly in that ointment). Plus her whole growing psychosis, and I get the sense she's starting to want to not be Alice anymore. On the whole she's one of the more interesting characters on the show, and adds a needed bit of spice to the cast.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The story about Marquis being turned into a psychopath by the joker was amusingly dumb. First with the vague description like as though anyone wouldn't realise who Jada was talking about, but then Ryan still has to ask "the Joker?" just in case anyone in the audience didn't get it. What was the point of that? And then you're thinking that the Joker must have done something utterly terrible to him to turn him into a monster, but no, he just got his brain electrified and that did it. It could as easily have been a random accident. The Joker's presence does nothing for the story, other than remind you that all the classic Batman villains exist in this universe - which is already the central premise of the season's main plot, so we definitely know that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

If I do not like Alice at all, would I get anything from watching the current season? I'm hearing some good things and I'm intrigued by some of the villains that are popping up.

I tuned out about halfway through last season because of Alice, it just felt like they were bending over backwards to give her reasons to stick around and I found her shtick really ran its course and became super annoying.

If you didn't like the Alice stuff last season you definitely won't like this season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I still maintain that they should've dive the Cult of Crime stuff and the split personality stuff from the comics as part of alice's origin to at least give her a touch of redeemability.

They're definitely leaning way harder into the drama and angst harder than any of the other DCCW series has and in a much more hamfisted way.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Xelkelvos posted:

They're definitely leaning way harder into the drama and angst harder than any of the other DCCW series has and in a much more hamfisted way.

I watched the first couple of seasons of Arrow before I dropped it, and I whole heartedly disagree with your statement.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Tiggum posted:

The story about Marquis being turned into a psychopath by the joker was amusingly dumb. First with the vague description like as though anyone wouldn't realise who Jada was talking about, but then Ryan still has to ask "the Joker?" just in case anyone in the audience didn't get it. What was the point of that? And then you're thinking that the Joker must have done something utterly terrible to him to turn him into a monster, but no, he just got his brain electrified and that did it. It could as easily have been a random accident. The Joker's presence does nothing for the story, other than remind you that all the classic Batman villains exist in this universe - which is already the central premise of the season's main plot, so we definitely know that.

Didn't the "Joker hijacks a school bus" thing tie into Kate and Beth's car accident? Like that's what ran them off the road, or that's why Batman couldn't save them, or something like that? If so I wonder if that's why they picked it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Is it just me or do Sophie, Mary, and Ryan all have weird lisps?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ShakeZula posted:

Didn't the "Joker hijacks a school bus" thing tie into Kate and Beth's car accident? Like that's what ran them off the road, or that's why Batman couldn't save them, or something like that? If so I wonder if that's why they picked it.

Batman DID save them from the car after the Joker left them to die in that death trap, but he didn't stick around, and both girls were still sent over into the water, where only Kate was found.

Man, I am REALLY surprised by how things ended with Sophie and Montoya.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

In a long line of very stupid plot developments on this show, this whole "Marquis takes over Wayne" story is close to the stupidest.

Edit: In fact I think this whole episode was so bad it's really got me doubting that I'll pick the show back up when it comes back.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 25, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's the completely unrealistic bit where Alice somehow got all her blood replaced just sitting around in a bar. Also not a fan of Mary redoing her look to make herself look like Poison Ivy. Like I wouldn't be surprised if when we come back Marquis will be wearing Joker colors all the time.

Something weird I noticed is that this show is doing almost exactly the same plot point as The Flash where all of a sudden the main characters are cut off from their base.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's gonna be even weirder cause supposedly Batwomen is in Flash coming up

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's really kinda disappointing since I'd've thought they'd at least try to get Mary to become Flamebird first

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

It's gonna be even weirder cause supposedly Batwomen is in Flash coming up

After what happened this week with Alex's "team up" I'm not expecting much.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Something weird I noticed is that this show is doing almost exactly the same plot point as The Flash where all of a sudden the main characters are cut off from their base.

Wait, The Flash is doing that? (I don't watch.) Cause Legends is ALSO doing that this season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I didn't think of it that way but you're right. That is three shows where the super team has to survive without their support system.

But yeah on The Flash it turned out that there was a radiation leak in the basement of Star Labs and the government came and kicked them out and told them they can't go back.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I guess we just have to see if the fortress of solitude blows up when superman and lois comes back.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Also not a fan of Mary redoing her look to make herself look like Poison Ivy.
Especially since the costume looks incredibly bad. I guess you could argue that it's impressive for something she did herself, with no resources, and in almost no time, but no. It's just bad.

ShakeZula posted:

In a long line of very stupid plot developments on this show, this whole "Marquis takes over Wayne" story is close to the stupidest.
That's just how taking over a business works in the Arrowverse. It's dead easy and you get full control of everything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know call me crazy but an easy solution to this whole "Marquis takes over Wayne" story would be Luke going to the cops to report the murder that Marquis did right in front of him and that was also on security cameras.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

You know call me crazy but an easy solution to this whole "Marquis takes over Wayne" story would be Luke going to the cops to report the murder that Marquis did right in front of him and that was also on security cameras.

Don't be silly, security cameras don't exist in the Arrowverse. If they did like 90% of plotlines like dramatic takeovers would be stopped dead, and every hero's identity would be blown by like episode 3.

Also like, Ryan should really be able to say that she was forced to sign it under duress but yeah that'd require way more critical thinking than any of these shows are willing to put in.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

If I was feeling extremely generous to the show, I suppose I could argue that the board had wanted Ryan to resign once the scandal broke and she refused, so maybe they were amenable to Marquis' obvious nonsense just because it got her out of the way.

But yeah, she could argue duress, or just straight-up deny that she ever signed it. What's Marquis going to do in that instance? Also maybe she could've tried fighting him right there after he gave her the vial because, you know, she's Batwoman and he's just some guy.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
In that press conference he says "put a smile on their faces" which even in universe should set off every red flag in Gotham.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been really unhappy with season 3 so far. I think it sucks that they took all the interesting parts of Ryan's character (that she's a homeless ex-con who doesn't trust the system) and then just kind of wiped it all away by making her the CEO. Also it turns out that she secretly has a rich family.

Then there's the dumb plot where instead of working with the cops Batwoman is stuck working for the cops with Renee holding Ryan's secret identity over her head to force her to investigate something that the Bat team was already going to investigate.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I've been really unhappy with season 3 so far. I think it sucks that they took all the interesting parts of Ryan's character (that she's a homeless ex-con who doesn't trust the system) and then just kind of wiped it all away by making her the CEO. Also it turns out that she secretly has a rich family.

Then there's the dumb plot where instead of working with the cops Batwoman is stuck working for the cops with Renee holding Ryan's secret identity over her head to force her to investigate something that the Bat team was already going to investigate.

Considering Ryan's personal history with the police and just...society, at this point, I think that the Bat Crew only working with the cops reluctantly is a strength of the season.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
This show sucks. Why does everyone seem to have a lisp?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, uh, Marquess should be dead from being completely desiccated seeing as he's not a plant. Also not a fan of Ryan saying that Marquess shouldn't go to jail because he's sick, completely ignoring the fact that he killed a dude.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The dessicating isn't supposed to kill, not even plant-based lifeforms, I think they said that early in the episode. And as far as Marquis killing someone, yeah the writers seem to forget a lot when they do their job.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I love that the episode was all about getting past retinal locks and poo poo because wow since when is anywhere locked in the CW-verse? Everyone usually just walks in to heroes' bases! Marquis has really got some bold new invention with this amazing actual lock technology.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

TwoPair posted:

I love that the episode was all about getting past retinal locks and poo poo because wow since when is anywhere locked in the CW-verse? Everyone usually just walks in to heroes' bases! Marquis has really got some bold new invention with this amazing actual lock technology.

It's even dumber because the Batmobile obviously has its own entrance/exit for the Batcave, and afaik that's still in Ryan's possession. Ugghh.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Diggle! :neckbeard:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

They were trapped in that cabin because Ivy was hunting them, then she found them, so they blew up a truck and... then just left? Did I miss something?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, its that Supervillains NEVER survive big explosions! So once they blew up the truck, they just called it a day and left.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I've been a big defender of this show, but these last two episodes in particular... yeesh indeed. None of that Poison Ivy/cabin in the woods stuff made any sense at all.

So I guess Ryan and Sophie didn't really start dating in the Professor Pyg episode? I thought they'd gone on a couple of dates since then and Sophie had cheated on her with Renee.

As confusing as all that is, those two being useless lesbians is the most believable thing in this show. I just wish they had more chemistry. Seriously, even just a little.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tiggum posted:

They were trapped in that cabin because Ivy was hunting them, then she found them, so they blew up a truck and... then just left? Did I miss something?

Yeah, that part was kind of awkward.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm more forgiving of this show's plotting than most, but jeez louise the way they framed this whole, "we must keep Mary from getting medical attention" is impressively dumb.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

howe_sam posted:

I'm more forgiving of this show's plotting than most, but jeez louise the way they framed this whole, "we must keep Mary from getting medical attention" is impressively dumb.

It's fine, they have a team doct- oh.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I dropped back in this week to see that Dig cameo and then Ryan and Sophie made out and I was immediately reminded of why I quit. gently caress that's awful

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm actually liking this poo poo more than last season and I think Alice is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of goofy how nobody in the Gotham press puts two and two together with how Marquis is acting and how he's dressed.