Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This show has some weird opinions about mental health treatment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, a villain taking over the Batcave would be impressive, if the exact same thing didn't happen LAST season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tonight is the season finale and I have no idea how they wrap anything up. Unless they really do something interesting this is probably the point where I tap out. I really haven't liked this season at all, especially the Sophie/Ryan relationship which everyone on the show is acting like it is some great love story.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Bat Blimp, season saved.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How did Ryan become CEO of Wayne Enterprises?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

howe_sam posted:

Bat Blimp, season saved.
On paper, the goofy 1960s poo poo getting played entirely straight should be right up my alley, but I didn't care for it. It just didn't work for me. I think it was just too little, too late.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

How did Ryan become CEO of Wayne Enterprises?

Shut up, that's how

I think the actual answer is that it seems like Kate just... gave her control? Which I'm like 99.9% positive isn't a thing you can't do IRL... and also I think Kate is still legally dead and also I don't think Kate was ever actually CEO. It seems like if you can bust into Bruce's office you just get the position like it's a control point in a FPS.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I imagine it's the result Bruce's shares being passed down to Kate, which then went to Ryan and Mary, and can threaten the board with dismissal if they don't play nice. The Wayne Enterprises board is probably pretty used to dealing with useless CEOs because their majority shareholder wants to play CEO.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Shut up, that's how

I think the actual answer is that it seems like Kate just... gave her control? Which I'm like 99.9% positive isn't a thing you can't do IRL... and also I think Kate is still legally dead and also I don't think Kate was ever actually CEO. It seems like if you can bust into Bruce's office you just get the position like it's a control point in a FPS.

On the Arrowverse it seems like anyone can become a CEO and then anyone else can just take it away. See also: Oliver Queen, Felicity Smoak

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

On the Arrowverse it seems like anyone can become a CEO and then anyone else can just take it away. See also: Oliver Queen, Felicity Smoak

No, Oliver was ousted from his company by an actual board, like something that would happen in the real world. Same deal with Felicity... although she did get her position somehow willed to her when Ray was presumed dead, so yeah that's silly.

Control of Wayne Enterprises just shifts willy-nilly. Like, in retrospect, I'm pretty sure Bruce Wayne was still CEO at the start of the series, even if he's been MIA (which presumably means there should be an acting CEO) but Kate just plops down at Bruce's desk and everyone just accepts that she's the boss ("everyone" being just Luke since it doesn't seem like anybody actually works around that place except for him and a few security guards for Alice and/or Marquis to kill) and then (I guess) gives Ryan control despite being legally dead.

Anyway I actually watched the finale last night and I hate the Ryan/Sophie romance with a passion. Like one of the more entertaining parts of last season was Ryan going "gently caress off, cop crow" whenever Sophie tried to get in the plot but now that she quit all of a sudden it's lovey-dovey time.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 12, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

No, Oliver was ousted from his company by an actual board, like something that would happen in the real world.
Except that being fired as CEO also somehow meant that Oliver no longer owned the company either, and lost all his money.

TwoPair posted:

Same deal with Felicity... although she did get her position somehow willed to her when Ray was presumed dead, so yeah that's silly.
I'm pretty sure there was the exact same kind of linking ownership with the CEO position there too. Ray gave her the company, which somehow made her the CEO, and then when she was fired from that job she no longer owned the company.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Yeah, the issue isn't really with people getting the job of CEO when they inherit the shares for these dynastic companies. If you own the company, no-one can really stop you from taking that position. It's that the stories then want to write out the wealth that comes with that, and they do that by getting getting the CEOs fired from their position, and not by removing their controlling interest in these multi-billion dollar companies.

That said, Batwoman did have Marquis demanding Ryan's shares from memory, so I guess they got that one right.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Welp.

quote:

The CW has officially cancelled its DC Comics drama “Batwoman” after three seasons.

Showrunner Caroline Dries shared the news on social media today saying: “Just got the sad news that Batwoman will not be seeing [season four]. I am bummed, but full of gratitude. What an honor to make 51 episodes.”

The axing comes as the once-dominant Arrowverse on the network appears to be coming to an endpoint with “Arrow” ending in 2020, “Supergirl” and “Black Lightning” ending in 2021 and now “Batwoman” over.

That leaves three – both “The Flash” and “Superman and Lois” have scored renewals for next season with “Flash” highly expected to have its final run. The fate of “Legends of Tomorrow” remains in limbo but even if it does score a renewal it’ll likely be the last shout as well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

:rip: you were a weird and uneven show that was kind of doomed from the moment you broke Ruby Rose.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wish I could say I'm sad but the last season was not great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nothing of value has been lost.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Show was okay, it was something to watch when I had nothing else to do.

Although this give me less hope for legends.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Remember when they formed the Justice League in some random warehouse? Lmao

Who is left? Barry and Sarah?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

Remember when they formed the Justice League in some random warehouse? Lmao

Who is left? Barry and Sarah?

Clark!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Gleek's rotting corpse in the corner of said warehouse. No one caring about this fact at all

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I peaced out after the last midseason break, and it seems like I made the right call.

It's a shame, because the first season really started to find its way by the end, and they came very close to taking the show in an interesting direction even after having to blow everything up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thing I found annoying about season 3 is how it just completely ditched all the political consciousness of s2.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I skipped all of season 3. In light of this news is there any reason to go back and watch it? I heard they turned whatsherface into Poison Ivy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

I skipped all of season 3. In light of this news is there any reason to go back and watch it? I heard they turned whatsherface into Poison Ivy.

Unless you are the biggest Batwing fan in the world, you're fine

Thing I found annoying about season 3 is how it just completely ditched all the political consciousness of s2.

Agreed. Season 2 wasn't great but I thought it showed some promise, but this one ditched all of that

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 30, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Unless you are the biggest Batwing fan in the world, you're fine

I've actually heard of Batwing prior to this show, so I might be in the running by default, but I think I'll pass.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wish I could say I'm sad but the last season was not great.
True. The last season wasn't great. And the previous one was bad. But the first one? It was terrible.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

True. The last season wasn't great. And the previous one was bad. But the first one? It was terrible.

By the principle of regression, this means the Elseworlds crossover was atrocious, and that one episode of Arrow where they name drop Bruce Wayne may have caused cancer in some viewers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

:rip: you were a weird and uneven show that was kind of doomed from the moment you broke Ruby Rose.

They could have recovered if they'd just recast Kate Kane, but nah, they turned into the skid and hit the gas and wrapped the car around four different telephone poles.

Adieu, Batwoman. You sort of tried. ...ish.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The only take away I have from this show is that I’m probably going to follow Alice’s actress to what she does next.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

The only take away I have from this show is that I’m probably going to follow Alice’s actress to what she does next.

Go back in time and watch Birds of Prey. See how that turns out.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

howe_sam posted:

:rip: you were a weird and uneven show that was doomed from the moment you broke Ruby Rose.

Pillowpants posted:

:agreed:

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Rachel Skarsten is definitely the best (dare I say only good) thing to come out of this. I hope she gets decent work off the back of this. I know some people found Alice tedious, especially when they tried to rehab her as a hero, but whatever you think of the character, there should be no question that Rachel Skarsten played the role well (or as well as it could be, if that's your view of Alice) and put in a hundred times more effort than anyone else on the show. If there's any one positive thing I'll remember about this series, it'll be her flicking her knife around and literally chewing the scenery.

It's a shame that, of all the DCTV shows, Batwoman probably should be the biggest deal of the lot, but got... this. It sounds like the series would've been cancelled now regardless of quality, but I can't help wondering how much better it could've been had they simply recast Kate and stuck to their plans, instead of having to piss away the second season reestablishing everything. Ryan's far from the worst character they could've come up with and Javicia Leslie was fine, but man. Man.

Oh, well. Rachel Skarsten was good. Nicole Kang was okay. Ruby Rose sucked massively. Everyone else sucked slightly less.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
RIP to that guy that probably thought he was eventually gonna get to be Batman after a couple episodes of playing Hush.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pressedbunny posted:

It's a shame that, of all the DCTV shows, Batwoman probably should be the biggest deal of the lot, but got... this. It sounds like the series would've been cancelled now regardless of quality, but I can't help wondering how much better it could've been had they simply recast Kate and stuck to their plans, instead of having to piss away the second season reestablishing everything. Ryan's far from the worst character they could've come up with and Javicia Leslie was fine, but man. Man.

That's the one person in all this who I feel genuinely terrible for is Javicia Leslie. She had to come in out of nowhere and try to hoist the show's broken and flaming wreckage on her shoulders and then try to carry it without missing a step thanks to a bunch of boneheaded bad decisions from people behind the scenes. I really hope she finds a better role on a better show eventually because she seems like she's really cool and didn't deserve to wind up in the center of this poo poo hurricane.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Season 3 of this show was def the best. At least this show died as not being the worst active Arrowverse show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pressedbunny posted:

Yeah they either should have recast Kate or killed her, not the half-rear end way they did it where they wasted like half a season of what should have been Ryan's debut on the dumb "Where is Kate?" mystery.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Almost immediately making Sophie into Ryan's love interest was also pretty bad. Sophie sucked so hard.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LongDarkNight posted:

Almost immediately making Sophie into Ryan's love interest was also pretty bad. Sophie sucked so hard.

It was especially weird because they were setting Ryan up with that social worker in s2 who was opening the community center but I guess you can't have two gay major characters date anyone but each other (see also Supergirl)

Something else that's kind of awkward is they canceled these shows right in the middle of a big comic book crossover event.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It was especially weird because they were setting Ryan up with that social worker in s2 who was opening the community center but I guess you can't have two gay major characters date anyone but each other (see also Supergirl)

Something else that's kind of awkward is they canceled these shows right in the middle of a big comic book crossover event.

There's always a big comic book crossover event though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean a specific Arrowverse comic book event where they're doing a series written by cast and crew of the shows.