Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Last season, Jennifer was about to overload the test chamber Gambi specifically said (iirc) could withstand a nuke so she's definitely a threat that Markovia would want to get (if indeed there is a Markovian threat)

Tiggum posted:

Seriously, what is the Markovian plan?
  1. Kidnap and brainwash metahumans.
  2. ???
  3. Profit?

I mean, that seems to be the US plan, basically...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

He's the only good thing about this season so far.

I don't know, I kind of find the saga of how captivity is kind of making Jeff lose it interesting.

Actually the whole of the Jeff/Lynn/Odell mind games thing I think is cool. I don't find Anissa's story interesting at all.

Lala does rule though

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Dammit, Jeff, it was a neat costume and all, but why are you not tossing that loving watch the second you get out the door? That drat thing is bugged to hell and you know that eventually Odell is gonna pull some bullshit like making his costume freeze mid-fight to teach him a lesson or something.

nine-gear crow posted:

Man they are really leaning hard into “magically appearing nano-tech supersuits” across the Arrowverse this year.

I know right? Too bad Arrow's ending, I would've loved to see what magical bullshit they'd have to get a hood and a full quiver of arrows every suit up moment. Maybe all of Team Arrow could get nano-costumes and we'd get to see a magic hockey mask materialize on Wild Dog :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bentacos posted:

I'm assuming he's going to immediately let Gambi tinker with it.

That's what I'm figuring as well, but remember Gambi's still supposed to be dead, so when Jeff takes it there, it's gonna blow his cover, since that thing has to have a tracker built in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I guess now the question is if the meta plague was even a thing Lynn fixed or if all that was engineered by Odell too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

So what's the consensus on Black Lightning has a whole? I watched the first few episodes and really liked it... and then got too busy to keep with it.

I gave up on The Flash ages ago, and I peaced out of Arrow after their admittedly great fifth season. Also I watch Legends, because you're goddamn right I do.

This season's been a little shaky by completely upheaving the status quo, but yes it's very good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Oooo, based on that ad they just ran Black Lightning's Earth gets wiped out by the Crisis.

Yeah I guess the back half of Season 3 is gonna have Jeff freak the gently caress out more than he already is once he learns his world was destroyed and then (presumably) remade anew.

Also, man the ASA has some downright stormtrooper aiming problems if 2 non-powered guys were able to take out a whole room of them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

There were a few things in this episode that kind of came out nowhere, like Jennifer deciding to break into the new kid's apartment to figure out what his deal was. That had near zero setup this week.

I seriously thought my DVR had skipped when that scene came in it was so out of nowhere

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

The Pierce family has a Bad Decision Ball and they pass it around once a year. In Season 1, Anissa was its holder, last year it was Jennifer, this year its Lynn, so next year it’ll be Jeff’s turn.

I don't know, it seems like Jeff, Jen, and Lynn are doing an episode-by-episode handoff. Frankly I'm just glad to see Jeff get an actual win with no drawbacks. Every time he's done something cool this season has been immediately followed by Odell coming around to tell him to stop or some poo poo. I was fully expecting Grace to die, or for them to come back and find the other kids dead after Jeff saved Grace.

I'm curious to see how they're gonna make any Khalil vs. Black Lightning fight have any tension now that the boy's basically a force of loving nature unless Jeff roasts his rear end from long distance.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well kind of covered it way back in season 1. Someone (it might've been Jen after her rescue back in episode 1) mentions that looking directly at Black Lightning's face makes your eyes hurt and you can't see it in focus. So it's basically like when the Flash vibrated his face to hide his identity back in season 1 of that show, only now it's Jeff low-level zapping everyone who looks at him in their loving eyes. ... actually, upon thinking about it more, it could be some magic tech that Gambi put on the mask to scramble his face just slightly.

Of course that doesn't excuse how people should really be able to put together stuff like that scene nine-gear crow mentioned.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 4, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
we now interrupt your government occupation story for some comic-rear end comic poo poo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo Lynn's breaking bad!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jen's gonna talk to Jeff like "Was Mom always a crackhead?"

and they're both gonna blame Crisis.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

There are two dads in BL and they are both the best.

I feel like that's the obvious result, but I'm guessing something else like one of the alternate Jens got pulled in or maybe the Markovians already have Metas or something.

I thought the Markovians already did have metas, this whole war was just so they could get more.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, Odell's from Gotham. Maybe if he doesn't die this season he can move back and terrorize the Kane family next season on Batwoman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

That you're doing the equivalent of arguing about time travel consistency in Doctor Who or arguing that The Simpsons isn't realistic and you don't seem to understand why as though you've never read a comic book or watched a show based on them.

Also half the posts I read from you in the CW-verse threads amount to "Why don't they just call up X from another show to resolve the problem?" Do you not understand how comic books and their derivative media operate? One of the major setting conceits of comic books is that they do not, in the stories, just call up someone stronger to obviate their problem even though that'd be the realistic thing to do unless the book is an intentional crossover.

I agree that it's just the way of comics, but I don't think it's silly to point out the lack of cooperation as the stakes rise. Sure Superman the Flash could clean up Gotham Star City in a snap but Batman Green Arrow has it under control... mostly. It's silly but yes, it makes sense. A totally hosed up government occupation of a city and mistreating minorities? It's hosed, but it's well within the "can handle it" range for Jeff.

But now they're going to invade a foreign nation where it's outright stated they will be outnumbered and outgunned with a team consisting of a bunch of rookies and untrustworthy soldiers. It's valid to say "some of these other heroes should do something", even if it's joking. Or throw out some throwaway line about why other heroes don't want to/can't do it. Again though, I know the answer.

Just thinking about crossovers though, it'd be nice for Joe West to show up and he and Jeff can bond over their ex-wives being junkies! :smith:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 5, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad they didn't go the route I thought they'd go and have Raiden turn off his pain inhibitors Khalil forced to release Painkiller to beat Gravedigger.

nine-gear crow posted:

So Tobias just slipped away and everyone’s like “Eh, gently caress him.”

Okay.

Wouldn't be an Arrowverse show if at least one villain didn't just up and get away.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That was fun but ooh there was at least one moment in the Nazi-killin' sequence where you could totally see Gravedigger not even connecting his fake knife with the dude he was supposed to be stabbing and it took me out so bad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm surprised Odell kept up his end of the bargain and didn't try to renege on it since they did let Tobias escape.a

There's plenty of time for him to backstab everyone!

howe_sam posted:

Why do I get the feeling that the Black Lightning writer's room didn't plan on the multiverse collapsing when they broke the season? Like does that ASA football have Dark Matter metas on file?

Having said that Gravedigger's backstory is perfect for the show.

My memory's a little fuzzy but I don't think the Flash's metahumans actually work off a dormant gene. Or at least they could always pass it off as not the same gene. Like, the X-gene vs the Inhuman gene. Actually now that I think about it this kind of makes the CWverse (or at least this corner of it) kind of like the Ultimate Marvel universe where basically every other metahuman is a result of the government trying to replicate the Super-Soldier Serum.

edit: I get that life as a superhero is wild but everyone was way too quick to just buy Jeff's whole story about watching the world be destroyed and created anew. Like, at least have Lynn and Anissa doubt him until Jen backs him up since she also remembers Earths dying.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 25, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Last night I saw a superhero he was black, he said this is for the streets, Black Lightning's gonna retire."

I can't be mad though, better to finish strong than risk churning out mediocre poo poo like some Arrowverse shows have in the past.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's weird that they stopped having Jen give off lightning when she flies and now she just flies like Superman

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Just got around to watching this and... I guess they're just completely ignoring the implications of the crossover, ie. that all the Arrowverse shows now take place on the same world and retroactively always have?

How do you mean? If you're talking about how no superheroes helped with the Markovian stuff that's just some "you have to roll with it" poo poo like when Diaz sealed off Star City and no one tried to help on Arrow.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Is it just me or is this season incredibly dour?

I'm also curious exactly how much the therapist truly knows about Jeff and Lynn.

Yeah it's a real bummer. Although in a way that makes me respect it more, a lot of these superhero shows have the characters get over traumatizing events way too quickly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I knew from the very few comics I'd read with her in them that Lightning was some pure lightning energy being and wondered if they'd go that way with her but did not see her exploding to get there.

e: also yeah, the "Chocolate-covered Incredibles" was hilarious

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I get that they can't do an actual Flash cameo because of the whole filming distance thing and plus probably playing it safe because COVID thing, but come on guys just put a scene in where Jeff doesn't have the thing and a Flash-y speed effect goes by and then it's in his hands.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Good lord Gambi, stop gaslighting this poor woman.

I'm really enjoying the Gambi plot because it's so hosed up. Like he seems to really like her but is also undermining and backstabbing her constantly. I'm wondering when it's gonna come tumbling down and it leads to him dying. Because I feel like someone's gonna die before the end of the show and Gambi is the obvious candidate.

howe_sam posted:

Jeff's been an rear end in a top hat this whole season. Going from the happy, triumphal Jeff at the end of season 3 to broody rear end in a top hat at the start of season 4 has been some major tonal whiplash.

It is but I like that it really deals with his depression in comparison to the other Arrowverse shows where you'll have something like Barry Allen get depressed for half an episode but then pull himself out of his funk in time to beat up a villain-of-the-week.

e: I enjoy when every now and then they remind us that TC is from the 70s

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, the Arrowverse's other backdoor pilots have at least bothered to be related to the series from which they're spawned. Like the Legends intro at least had Green Arrow and Flash doing poo poo.

Cyberpunk city looks like it's trying to be 50% Madripoor, 50% Wakanda

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't think so? But even if they were already established, it's clearly been too long since we've seen them so you're definitely right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just caught the finale, and it definitely felt like a season finale that got hastily retooled into a series finale. I imagine that a lot of stuff like the chief/metaboosters/DEGs would've been moved forward instead of the shoved in final battle. Maybe the evil JJ thing would have been more slow played? (honestly I kind of thought that the finale to that would've been just letting her go, since as it was her story was kind of sympathetic? I mean, poor little force of nature just wanted a body, you didn't have to Neo her, Jen)

I'm amazed Gambi lived through the whole show. Figured for sure he'd die dramatically at some point this season or at least in the finale, but hey good for him I guess.

Anyway, I guess lightning couldn't strike 4 times (frice?) but I feel like the first 3 were good and this one had enough good moments to be overall a pretty drat good show. I do kind of wish there could've been some crossover with another one of the Arrowverse shows post-Crisis, but I get that ultimately the show was probably stronger for not having one.