Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Man, they are going super hard on “gently caress Trump” this year. Like even harder than Supergirl tends to do.

Supergirl is very White Liberal (exemplified by Kara picking out Voldemort as the greatest fictional villain) while BL is almost Black Radical at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
poo poo got real really fast in a way that's a thousand times darker and more cutting and more real than what the rest of the DCCW has done.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I'm trying to remember, do we know there actually are any drat Markovians?

The defector that attacked was apparently part of the Markovians.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

The only way this plot isn't incredibly dumb is if the Markovian threat is made up by t he US government. Except it's still pretty dumb that all the characters are just uncritically believing it. Markovia is some tiny nation and the powers people in this show have are dangerous on a personal level but don't really have any large-scale or military applications. It's not like China getting control of Superman.

Seriously, what is the Markovian plan?
  1. Kidnap and brainwash metahumans.
  2. ???
  3. Profit?

In a way, they're treating an individual meta like a small nuclear weapon. On its own, it can potentially destroy a city or kill oodles of people. It wont win any wars, but it's enough to be a National Security risk on its own. Multiple metas are now an arsenal and depending on their abilities, a more severe geopolitical threat. Terrorism is basically the name of the game in terms of fear factor.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Most of them can't do anything even close to that. I can't think of any in this show that are more dangerous (because of their powers) than an ordinary person with a gun or bomb.

The main character is probably a fine example, but the "Masters of Disaster" also make a strong showing. Hell, even the one who just died in the premier has a meta ability that every intelligence agency in the world would kill for.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

He’s lowkey the best character on the show.

There's a lot of good characters on the show, but he's definitely one that's easy to overlook.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

And they're doing the exact same high-tech mind-control "for the greater good" plot as Supergirl.

Nah, ASA is doing mind control stuff purely for making loyal and obedient super soldiers. Lena wants hyper-nonviolence implemented but everyone can still do as they want.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Except the first thing Lena did was use it to mind control Eve into being perfectly loyal and obedient to her.

I want to say Eve is a special case, mostly in that is was particularly personal for Lena. To add, Hope is just occupying parts of Eve's brain. It's unknown is Eve is still in there in some form or fashion.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, I kind of find the saga of how captivity is kind of making Jeff lose it interesting.

Actually the whole of the Jeff/Lynn/Odell mind games thing I think is cool. I don't find Anissa's story interesting at all.

Lala does rule though

Anissa is basically turning terrible and at some point, there's either gonna be a sibling face off or another father/daughter fight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Jennifer going pro-Government tankie is an interesting twist but it makes sense as she's the most trusting of the family in a sense. She not used to peeking behind bullshit like the rest of the family so Odell is slowly pulling her to his side.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

I still say the Markovians are a false flag.

Nah, they're real. Any time they talk about Markovia, assume they mean a country like Russia since, it's meant to be an Eastern European dictatorship of sorts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh yeah, Odell is gaslighting her like crazy.

And he's drugging Lynn. He's doing full divide and conquer on the Pierce family, as much as he feasibly can with what leverage he has.

Jennifer: Her naivete (though if she finds out about Painkiller, she'll 100% flip)
Jefferson: His family
Lynn: Her drive to help people and he's got her hooked on drugs as an extra leash

Odell doesn't have anything on Anissa as far as we've seen, but I imagine he's at least somewhat aware of her actions and just needs time to find the moment to pull the trigger.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Sure, but do they really feel like the big threat this season? They're so invisible narratively that if we hadn't seen a few Markovians you could just as easily claim Odell is making the whole thing up.

They're definitely a threat, but they're not the main villain of the season. That Odell seems like he could be making the whole thing up is more a testament of how locked down everything is and how deceitful he's been shown to be.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like the fallout from the occupation is gonna be the set up for the next season. ASA's media blackout is broken either from the ASA pulling out or because someone broke word into the internet and it went viral. Now every media org wants in to get the scoop, criminals want in to try and get a piece of the action (as Tobias and the 100 isn't in a position to keep them out), business wasn't too see if they can leverage the meta population, and regular people want in to see the side show. National attention is on Freeland, but the people are treated more like exhibits than humans.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It really does feel like they’re pulling a Diaz with Odell but doing it right this time because instead of telling you how he’s ten steps ahead of everyone else and manipulating them to his own ends because he’s already won, they’re just showing it after he has in fact already won. And it’s so much stronger.

Black Lightning is just the better CW show. The only thing is doesn't do better is wacky hijinks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That's probably a story hole that needs to be filled. It's an easy one to explain though like the ASA being a gov't org would have eyes and ears looking for any of the escapees if they showed up, especially with any friends and family outside of Freeland. Since they can affect a media blackout of Freeland and seem to not draw any outside attention, presumably, they're cutting off any outside notice that'd come up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

loving Rip Odell. That was amazingly unsatisfying watching his rear end die.

Odell is gonna have a computer program modeled on him and voiced by him that continues to direct the ASA. Just watch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Btw, new ep tonight.

Odell ain't dead

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They doing some kind of good soldier defector thing ain't they.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Hey, they finally addressed the world outside Freeland.

lol, SARS. Also I guess, Freeland is closer to Jacksonville than Atlanta?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I like this teacher already. Gotta make up for that teacher's salary somehow

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Alt Universe Pierce family is gonna be a bit of a change of pace. Hopefully it'll be a nice standalone episode though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also lol at Anissa beating the poo poo out of Khalil, finding out he's still alive and is an rear end asset... and just loving off to go help Gambi without telling anyone anything. This kind of felt like it was two episodes worth of storylines stitched together.

Commander Warcrimes' little "Well... gently caress" moment when copying Jeff's powers backfired was hilarious though.

Yeah, Commander Copycat getting owned by the weakness of a power he copied is a common trope, but still satisfying just because of how he's built up

With the compressed plots, I could imagine that everything was probably plotted out to the episode, but then Crisis and BL's involvement in it was confirmed so they had to cut an episode for a tie-in and film around Jefferson's actor being in Vancouver for a few days or so

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
President Shaw, lol.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
EARTH 1!? Oh poo poo.

Wow, this is even worse than their normal Earth somehow. I blame Flashpoint for this.

Edit: Anissa still in the closet, Jennifer locked up, Jefferson getting killed after being depowered.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 10, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Can we see Jennifer the Sith lady please?

I assume Evil Jennifer's story is a lot more simple

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Oh, Earth 2 is the Evil one. makes sense and she's straight up working for the ASA, lol.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
At least the episode is vaguely standalone, but it's gonna suck on the back half since it has to resolve Jeff coming back and their universe being undestroyed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New ep. Get hyp. Jen apparently also remembers her trip, but no other Strange Adventures. Let's see what twists there are in Freeland (probably not until the end like Batwoman).

Also:
"Are you tracking us, like, all the time?"
"Pretty much."
"...Thank you"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Lmao, they just had to do a looooot of work explaining Crisis just there.

Also, according to the actor's twitter Henderson is not returning for season 4.

RIP him then.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There are two dads in BL and they are both the best.

TwoPair posted:

Jen's gonna talk to Jeff like "Was Mom always a crackhead?"

and they're both gonna blame Crisis.

I feel like that's the obvious result, but I'm guessing something else like one of the alternate Jens got pulled in or maybe the Markovians already have Metas or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I thought the Markovians already did have metas, this whole war was just so they could get more.
I don't remember, but I know that Markovia had an earthquake machine from S1 of Arrow but idr what other Makovian references there were in that series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

This season's whole plot makes even less than ever now that they live on a world full of metahumans, magical ninjas, time travellers and aliens. They seem to be pretending like merging the worlds changes nothing.

I see that you clearly have never read comic books.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think you really need to reach too far to rectify Freeland's situation with Earth Prime.

"Other shows/heroes should be aware of it and doing something." - Yeah, they should but that's comic books. Besides, a small urban US city that is predominantly black having what should be a national crisis and is somehow only being dealt with by those suffering from it isn't exactly the biggest stretch of the imagination this show asks you to make.

"The ASA/Markovia could get metahumans somewhere else." - Yeah, sure, but you might be able to get a resource a lot of places but if you find a large source of them you might focus on that as the best place to "mine". And again, a poor, black city largely ignored by the world being taken advantage of by shady governments with deeply unethical actions isn't really a reach.

The current locations with lots of superpowered beings include Central City which is patrolled by the world famous Flash and National City which is the HQ of Luthor Corps, the DEO and Supergirl.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Oh hey, Odell's from Gotham. Maybe if he doesn't die this season he can move back and terrorize the Kane family next season on Batwoman.

I think it'll be a hard sell to try and move over characters from BL to any of the other CW-verse shows without them being voice only like Gideon's actress in Legends. That said I could seem them having Odell become Mister Bones and just have him do VA work over a guy with a CG mask and gloves.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Hey Jeff, you know who could probably help you out here instead of the ASA? Supergirl. But this show is still pretty much ignoring the fact that it now takes place in the same universe as the other DC CW shows, and anyway it's not time for a crossover, so I guess he's just got to conveniently forget about those other super heroes he met recently.

That's literally Comic Books 101. The same reason Superman doesn't solve all of Batman's problems or Barry never solves Oliver's. How do you not continuously grasp that and accept that conceit of the setting despite continuing to watch this genre?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'd just appreciate it if they'd at least come up with an excuse, because otherwise it just makes the characters look extremely dumb.

Again, what part of "conceit of the setting" do you not understand?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I guess all of it, because I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

That you're doing the equivalent of arguing about time travel consistency in Doctor Who or arguing that The Simpsons isn't realistic and you don't seem to understand why as though you've never read a comic book or watched a show based on them.

Also half the posts I read from you in the CW-verse threads amount to "Why don't they just call up X from another show to resolve the problem?" Do you not understand how comic books and their derivative media operate? One of the major setting conceits of comic books is that they do not, in the stories, just call up someone stronger to obviate their problem even though that'd be the realistic thing to do unless the book is an intentional crossover.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, that whole helicopter scene was pretty cool. I like the whole crew Jeff’s put together.

The Outsiders are a pretty good team. They're only missing a Halo, a Katana and a Metamorpho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
gently caress yeah, Khalil vs. Grave Digger