Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Man, they are going super hard on “gently caress Trump” this year. Like even harder than Supergirl tends to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also good lord Bill Duke plays such and amazing slime ball.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I'm trying to remember, do we know there actually are any drat Markovians?

:shrug:

The closest thing we've seen to them so far was that tiny cell/hit squad that attacked Lynn and the got dummied by Anissa. But even thay seemed kinda muddy.

This could just be one giant con by Odell, not gonna lie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Laterite posted:

Besides the show being great in general, it also continues to have the best soundtrack on TV.

Jennifer going to town on Tobias's goons to Kimbra last year was loving transcendent :swoon:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Aw poo poo! It’s Wayne Brady, son!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Welp. Looks like the Markovians are real.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am so glad that not only is Lala back, he has his ghost murder victims crew with him.

But Khalil coming back is :negative: I really don't care about him at all.

Khalil is there to give Jennifer something to do besides sit around the house alone while everyone else has a plot line this season and roll her eyes dramatically when other people are talking. Hopefully she actually gets to do something this year as Lightning.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Man they are really leaning hard into “magically appearing nano-tech supersuits” across the Arrowverse this year.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Fancy new suit :toot:. I'm gonna miss that big goofy neon lightning symbol.

Jen had a fantastic episode. Giving Anissa the dad speech(which worked too haha), her tour of the school and she finally got to do something with her powers.

:hmmyes:

Yeah, this episode really felt like things were finally happening compared to two eps of Jeff and Lynn stuck in a white box, Anissa wandering around aimlessly and Jen being told to sit down and don't do anything by literally everyone around her.

Also more Tobias in this episode than the previous two. And more Tobias always makes any given Black Lightning episode infinitely better than less Tobias.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh poo poo, Lynn, this seems like a really bad and dumb idea :ohdear:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh gently caress Wormy White Privilege Principal is back :barf:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Jennifer going pro-Government tankie is an interesting twist but it makes sense as she's the most trusting of the family in a sense. She not used to peeking behind bullshit like the rest of the family so Odell is slowly pulling her to his side.

Oh yeah, Odell is gaslighting her like crazy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Jesus I can’t wait to see Odell go down hard for all this bullshit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Sure, but do they really feel like the big threat this season? They're so invisible narratively that if we hadn't seen a few Markovians you could just as easily claim Odell is making the whole thing up.

Yeah, we’ve seen exactly one group of like 50 dudes, all of whom were taken out by Jeff in a single raid. Every other action has been taken by Odell for the purposes of scooping up metas and keeping Freeland on lockdown. And what, exactly, was the main goals of the ASA back in season 1 that Gambi was so worried about? :thunk:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He can use Grace as his in for Anissa. Dangle the promise of some help or to get her a cure.

That was my thought too. Her return seems so random that I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop on it and the string leading back to Odell to be revealed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I guess now the question is if the meta plague was even a thing Lynn fixed or if all that was engineered by Odell too.

It really does feel like they’re pulling a Diaz with Odell but doing it right this time because instead of telling you how he’s ten steps ahead of everyone else and manipulating them to his own ends because he’s already won, they’re just showing it after he has in fact already won. And it’s so much stronger.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

So what's the consensus on Black Lightning has a whole? I watched the first few episodes and really liked it... and then got too busy to keep with it.

I gave up on The Flash ages ago, and I peaced out of Arrow after their admittedly great fifth season. Also I watch Legends, because you're goddamn right I do.

Black Lightning is very good and you should watch it yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Man, Khalil's so evil this year, but he's also really loving funny too. God it's so creepy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Hell yeah Henderson.

When he arrested Rev Holt I just knew he was probably putting together some kind of resistance and lo and behold. :hellyeah:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
loving Rip Odell. That was amazingly unsatisfying watching his rear end die.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Yeah, what even was that whole trap thing? Odell has them outnumbered AND surrounded AND de-powered, and it just frantically edits itself into them being unfazed and Odell dying (no confirmation, also he can just get revived again in Black Lightning's version of the Lazarus Pit). Probably rushing stuff to get to Crisis with less loose ends.

There were a few things in this episode that kind of came out nowhere, like Jennifer deciding to break into the new kid's apartment to figure out what his deal was. That had near zero setup this week.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Also Anissa's video felt more like she was about to do some high-stakes stuff she might not come back from... and then it just turned out to be her thinking she was going to die from the poison.

That said, we also got Tobias trolling the poo poo out of Lynn with his whole Satan act. I cannot wait for him and Jeff to square off again after all this poo poo now that he's figured out he's Black Lightning.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Btw, new ep tonight.

Odell ain't dead

Motherfuckin snake. Good thing Jen’s finally being smart about stuff and using the situation to her advantage.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Lyn, you are a walking bad decision machine.

The Pierce family has a Bad Decision Ball and they pass it around once a year. In Season 1, Anissa was its holder, last year it was Jennifer, this year its Lynn, so next year it’ll be Jeff’s turn.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, it seems like Jeff, Jen, and Lynn are doing an episode-by-episode handoff. Frankly I'm just glad to see Jeff get an actual win with no drawbacks. Every time he's done something cool this season has been immediately followed by Odell coming around to tell him to stop or some poo poo. I was fully expecting Grace to die, or for them to come back and find the other kids dead after Jeff saved Grace.

I'm curious to see how they're gonna make any Khalil vs. Black Lightning fight have any tension now that the boy's basically a force of loving nature unless Jeff roasts his rear end from long distance.

I'm betting it's gonna be some combination of Lynn loving with Khalil's control chip and Jeff trying to talk him back to normal and it'll be really tense and emotional with Jeff ultimately winning but just in time for the anti-matter wave to wipe out his Earth and Flash-90 to zip in and save his rear end in time for Crisis.

Also if Odell is "in the hospital" (yeah loving right he is) and Major Hardass McWarcrimes just got barbecued to death by Jeff, who's running the ASA in Freeland now?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Starting the episode off with a full on camera mugging Tobias monologue. This is gonna be a good one :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I was skeptical about Earthbender kid initially but the more him and Jen interact the more he’s grown on me. They’re really fun together.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I like this teacher already. Gotta make up for that teacher's salary somehow

I’m glad she was the one who finally lit the fire under Jeff’s rear end. That scene was badass.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

That electric powers fight with the ASA dude was hilariously anticlimactic. I'm guessing he'll come back with some sort of suit later on, but what the hell?

Also lol at Anissa beating the poo poo out of Khalil, finding out he's still alive and is an rear end asset... and just loving off to go help Gambi without telling anyone anything. This kind of felt like it was two episodes worth of storylines stitched together.

Commander Warcrimes' little "Well... gently caress" moment when copying Jeff's powers backfired was hilarious though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiggum posted:

But in a way that made it really seem like they literally hadn't thought of it until now. What about all those people who already got out?

On the other hand - he was wearing sunglasses. That is not a disguise.

He also attacked her in broad daylight wearing even smaller sunglasses. I'm just gonna chock that one up to Anissa not really giving a poo poo about the comings and goings of the rest of her family (and there has been ample evidence of that over the last three years), so of course she would not recognize her sister's longtime boyfriend if he cut his hair, put sunglasses and gained 20 pounds of muscle mass and did literally nothing else to alter his features.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

frgildan posted:

I just assume it's the power of mildly covering up your face. People who have know Jefferson for decades see Black Lightning in bright lights and still have no idea who he is. It's a power that runs threw all the CW hero shows.

I remember vividly at the start of Season 1 how Jeff tries to get information out of Two Bits at the bar, fails miserably, then comes back 20 minutes later as Black Lightning, beats the poo poo out of him and then asks him the exact same questions and it's like "motherfucker, you just put on a pair of sunglasses and a dayglo suit! How does he not instantly recognize you?!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Lol Black Lightning’s news network is GBS.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Surprise fuckers, it’s Crisis time!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
loving Lynn going full Heisenberg to get her Green Light fix :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

At least the episode is vaguely standalone, but it's gonna suck on the back half since it has to resolve Jeff coming back and their universe being undestroyed.

I think Jen turning into a lava lamp and somehow surviving the anti-matter wave will factor into it, just guessing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/blacklightning/status/1214647031580413953

Last night I saw a superhero, he was back, he said "This if for the streets, BLACK LIGHTNING'S BACK... For a fourth season."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't remember, but I know that Markovia had an earthquake machine from S1 of Arrow but idr what other Makovian references there were in that series.

Slade takes Oliver to Markovia to try and save his son from becoming the new Deathstroke during his big "We gotta wrap up my storyline because Warner Bros. says you're not allowed to use my character anymore because Deathstroke movie that may or may not even happen at this point" mini-arc in Season 6. And by Markovia I mean a natural gas plant outside of Vancouver.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think you really need to reach too far to rectify Freeland's situation with Earth Prime.

"Other shows/heroes should be aware of it and doing something." - Yeah, they should but that's comic books. Besides, a small urban US city that is predominantly black having what should be a national crisis and is somehow only being dealt with by those suffering from it isn't exactly the biggest stretch of the imagination this show asks you to make.

"The ASA/Markovia could get metahumans somewhere else." - Yeah, sure, but you might be able to get a resource a lot of places but if you find a large source of them you might focus on that as the best place to "mine". And again, a poor, black city largely ignored by the world being taken advantage of by shady governments with deeply unethical actions isn't really a reach.

Xelkelvos posted:

The current locations with lots of superpowered beings include Central City which is patrolled by the world famous Flash and National City which is the HQ of Luthor Corps, the DEO and Supergirl.

Also the ASA digital iron curtain is still up around Freeland so the rest of Earth Prime doesn't even know anything is happening there outside of a weird SARS outbreak that doesn't seem to be ending. Though like I said elsewhere, I wouldn't put it past someone like Tobias to slip the net and try stirring up poo poo in Central City at least once now that he has a big new playground to mess around with, because as terrifying as Tobias Whale is, he's also the right kind of goofy motherfucker who'd make a good Flash guest star villain.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Jefferson going all “What are your intentions with my daughter?” :allears:

The Pierce family is the best. ...Except Lynn, she needs to shape the gently caress up like yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Giving normal people powers like this never ends well Lynn.

Dr. Lynn Stewart, PhD in Bad Decisions :v: