Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lala will never die!

nine-gear crow posted:

Also good lord Bill Duke plays such and amazing slime ball.

He is amazing in his role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Most of them can't do anything even close to that. I can't think of any in this show that are more dangerous (because of their powers) than an ordinary person with a gun or bomb.

But what if you gave the meta soldiers a gun and or bomb? :aaaaa:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am so glad that not only is Lala back, he has his ghost murder victims crew with him.

But Khalil coming back is :negative: I really don't care about him at all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fancy new suit :toot:. I'm gonna miss that big goofy neon lightning symbol.

Jen had a fantastic episode. Giving Anissa the dad speech(which worked too haha), her tour of the school and she finally got to do something with her powers.

howe_sam posted:

Agent Odell is just spectacular at playing every side against every other side.
:hmmyes:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gambi will immediately install RGB neon lighting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh Lynn, that is a wacky conclusion to reach.

Agent Odell continues to be amazing.

howe_sam posted:

Sure, but do they really feel like the big threat this season? They're so invisible narratively that if we hadn't seen a few Markovians you could just as easily claim Odell is making the whole thing up.

I'm going with that the Markovians were real and that they were taken out in the first few episodes when Jeff and Jen did their raids. Odell just keeps the illusion of them around because it lets him manipulate the Pierce family more easily.

Xelkelvos posted:

And he's drugging Lynn. He's doing full divide and conquer on the Pierce family, as much as he feasibly can with what leverage he has.

Jennifer: Her naivete (though if she finds out about Painkiller, she'll 100% flip)
Jefferson: His family
Lynn: Her drive to help people and he's got her hooked on drugs as an extra leash

Odell doesn't have anything on Anissa as far as we've seen, but I imagine he's at least somewhat aware of her actions and just needs time to find the moment to pull the trigger.

He can use Grace as his in for Anissa. Dangle the promise of some help or to get her a cure.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 29, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiggum posted:

It's explicitly a small country though, which makes their apparent ability to operate with impunity within America utterly absurd. How do they have the resources or clout to get away with anything?

Absolutely nothing in this season is working for me so far. What is Odell even trying to do? How is the rest of the country reacting to what's going on here? We know people and information are getting out. Why is Odell going out of his way to manipulate the Pierces? Why are they so essential to him?

I'm assuming that Markovia is like NK where everyone is pretty poor and it's a poo poo place but they are focusing all their resources in one project which is getting nukes metas. Or maybe they are mineral rich or something.

Odell is probably trying to do exactly what the Markovians are, ie learn how to make and weaponize metas, but he's just going about it in a smarter way since he needs Lynn for her expertise and the rest of the Pierce family for their unique physiology. It would be pretty funny if his endgame was actually trying to help the metas but he's just kind of a dick so he's doing it this way. :v:

The rest of the country is probably indifferent at best because poor black people. :911:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Every episode is better with Tobias! And Tobias is right, Lynn has some fire in her.

Agent Odell turning a potential setback with Jennifer into a win. God he's fantastic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That shot of Jefferson leaving the church was :discourse:

First Supergirl, now Black Lightning. It's a good week for people with earthbender powers.

TwoPair posted:

Also, man the ASA has some downright stormtrooper aiming problems if 2 non-powered guys were able to take out a whole room of them.

Yea haha. What a terrible trap Odell planned for them.

nine-gear crow posted:

loving Rip Odell. That was amazingly unsatisfying watching his rear end die.

"Pathetic."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm very glad Odell isn't dead.

Gambi should've tried to smother Khalil with a pillow.

Xelkelvos posted:

They doing some kind of good soldier defector thing ain't they.

Not anymore :v:

nine-gear crow posted:

Also if Odell is "in the hospital" (yeah loving right he is) and Major Hardass McWarcrimes just got barbecued to death by Jeff, who's running the ASA in Freeland now?

I don't think he killed them, but he did leave them lightly seared. :chef: Would have been funnier if he did kill them. No Henderson, you can't use a bomb. Your killing has to be precise!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 26, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Is he a big fan of Earth, Wind and Fire?" Tobias :swoon:

nine-gear crow posted:

I was skeptical about Earthbender kid initially but the more him and Jen interact the more he’s grown on me. They’re really fun together.

He's definitely better than Khalil as her possible love interest.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ASA Jen is a bad bitch and it's great. The future is now old man! :v:

nine-gear crow posted:

loving Lynn going full Heisenberg to get her Green Light fix :allears:

Gotta get her :catdrugs:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiggum posted:

This season's whole plot makes even less than ever now that they live on a world full of metahumans, magical ninjas, time travellers and aliens. They seem to be pretending like merging the worlds changes nothing.

I can see where you are coming from, but having metas would still be great for the ASA or anyone provided they can control them. And Freeland still has the types of metas they have the most experience with creating and controlling, so might as well keep at it. Also no one cares about experimenting on black people :911:

TwoPair posted:

Jen's gonna talk to Jeff like "Was Mom always a crackhead?"

and they're both gonna blame Crisis.

Crisis :argh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am impressed with the writing for Jen by not dragging out some CW drama stuff and just coming clean to her dad. Also Odell still needs to die :v:

I am really liking Brendan. "Do I get a suit?" "What will my name be?" I hope he doesn't die / get sidelined for Khalil

LaLa and Lady Eve are back :neckbeard:

nine-gear crow posted:

Dr. Lynn Stewart, PhD in Bad Decisions :v:

Hey, she was totally ready for the completed expected double cross by Tobias. I'll give her points for that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yay Khalil is back. No Jen, you can't touch him because he's basically poison.

I am expecting Khalil, Brendan, Grace or Jace to die in the Markovia assault. :rip:

Tiggum posted:

Dr Jace's vlog was great though.

"I created this handy human interaction checklist!" The whole intro was fantastic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Hey Barry, can you spare 15 mins and run over to Markovia and rescue my wife? Oh, you are busy with your own poo poo. I get it. But what if I told you they had a bunch of helpless metahumans for you to murder..."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Jace still using her human interactions cheat sheet haha

Black Lightning continues to have a great soundtrack.

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh poo poo, it’s Wayne Brady son!

I want to see some interactions between him and Tobias(assuming Gravedigger isn't dead).

nine-gear crow posted:

So Tobias just slipped away and everyone’s like “Eh, gently caress him.”

Okay.

I guess Jefferson doesn't care about stabilizing those metas :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 11, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm surprised Odell kept up his end of the bargain and didn't try to renege on it since they did let Tobias escape.

Aw jeez, I hope they aren't going to put Lady Eve and LaLa on the backburner again.

0 days since we last kept secrets from each other. I wonder how long it will last.

Xelkelvos posted:

Wayne Brady: The First recorded metahuman

His flashback was good. I'd watch a show about Wayne Brady killing nazis. :black101:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Odell and Lady Eve are so loving good. :neckbeard:

Oh poo poo the Gravedigger connection.

Can't wait for the finale next week.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm extremely curious where they'll go from here after this season. Presumably it'll partially be trying to return the city to normalcy after the occupation and the attack by the Markovians and however the fight with Gravedigger turns out. part of next season's plot is probably Whale doing whatever it is he's doing after escaping

I hope they spend some time dealing with the low level street stuff like Lady Eve / Lala / Tobias. I think it would be a mistake to try and ramp up the stakes even higher next season. Someone is trying to super duper destroy Freeland :ohdear:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That was a good finale and I wonder if they thought they were going to get cancelled as it did wrap up basically every major plot.

Big bodycount tonight. Wow that was an unexpected end for Jameela Olsen and Dr. Jace. I'd say the same for Henderson but I saw the earlier spoiler about how his actor said he wasn't coming back for s4. :rip: lol Commander "I'm not a meta" Williams.

I'm glad it looks like next season will be LaLa and Tobias again(and maybe Lady Eve), unless they introduce some new threat.

howe_sam posted:

I love Tobias's hat.

:hmmyes:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

Gravedigger is definitely another good villain that they added and it's definitely gonna become a problem if they keep having too many good villains since the urge is to keep them around. If Wayne Brady just wants to live in Vancouver instead, he'd probably fit in in most of the other shows except Legends as the Black Captain America+Mind controller that he is.

Have Wayne Brady show up on The Flash to stop the worst villain and meta human murderer: Barry Allen.

Or just keep him on the backburner for a future plotline. I have no faith in the Vancouver shows and their writers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 10, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well I hope they can write a great ending for the show. :unsmith:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anissa is right, they need to go kill Tobias.

Jen and Anissa in the Lightningmobile :v:

https://i.imgur.com/mId6L01.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Don't blow your cover you big dummy." I love Tobias.

I am not looking forward to see everything come falling down for Jeff, Lynn and Gambi.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Is it just me or is this season incredibly dour?

It has been so far, especially this last episode. I hope they start getting some wins soon.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am glad that Lynn is getting help for her addiction. I wonder if Tobias' last line at their dinner was a hint that the therapist is on his payroll or reporting to him. Or maybe it's just a coincidence :tinfoil:

Jen sassing Anissa for leaving giant potholes when she lands dramatically was funny.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol knockoff Joey Telodo and Syanide

Xelkelvos posted:

"Chocolate-covered Incredibles" is a really funny way to refer to the Pierce family.

There were some good lines this episode.

:rip: Mayor Black and Lightning. Definitely didn't see the latter happening even if it will probably be temporary.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kind of a slow episode. Jeff and Gambi reminiscing about the past was probably the highlight for me.

I feel like the Tobias plot could have actually advanced a bit more tonight too. I just hope that it won't get a rushed conclusion in the latter half of the season because Tobias deserves better. He's such a fantastic villain.

Another unexpected ending.

howe_sam posted:

Iirc, China Anne McClain said she was only going to be in a reduced number of episodes this season, so that would probably be their explanation for her absence,

I'm guessing that's one way to save on the budget.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jeff was just kind of an rear end this whole episode. Dodging Jen and telling Lynn to take random meta powers.

I really wonder what Val's meta power is. I assume the plan was that Lynn would eventually take them.

That's one way to deal with LaLa.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ninurta posted:

So...it's going to be Painkiller Wick Cyberpunk 2077? Let's see how it plays out.

And with that final scene, I am in for a few episodes at least.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

At least they explained what Val's powers are.

I'm surprised they did another Khalil cameo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That opening scene was brutal. So was the scene with Lynn in prison. :smith:

At least Tobias finally unleashed his master plan. If the final few episodes end up being terrible, I can just pretend this was the series finale. Everyone is dead, Tobias wins. :v:

Tiggum posted:

Is it just me or has this show gotten really hard to follow?

This season does seem to have a few too many plotlines running and this latest episode decided that all of them needed screentime for some reason. I was gonna say they didn't touch on LaLa's plot, but then I remembered he's concrete Han Solo atm. Man I hope he gets a better ending than that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It's a good thing Gambi's suits have built in plot armor :v:

Black Lightning continues to have the best soundtrack on TV.

I'm still not super hot on the new Khalil show, but I do appreciate they are giving those guys more screentime after the backdoor pilot so it feels more natural for the spinoff.

Tiggum posted:

Have we seen this evil council of bad guys Tobias wants to join before? Seems a bit late to be introducing a new cabal of villains.

It was definitely brought up last season or even in season 1 when Tobias tried to make his move against Lady Eve and take her spot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/7bEUpTW.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mayor Whale :patriot: lol that he stole the LaLa "statue" and put it in his own penthouse.

Just my speculation, but I thought that Tobias would get exposed and then Jeff would not only be cleared, but run for mayor so he could try to enact meaningful reform while also retiring Black Lightning.

Cops with meta powers to hunt metas. :911:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"All hail the king!" Tobias is such a great villain.

A bit late to give Chief Lopez a sympathetic backstory. Or any sort of character really. I'm not gonna feel bad if she dies or gets arrested next episode.

Tiggum posted:

If Tobias was able to locate the members of the evil cabal of bad guys and send an assassin to that location, what does it matter that he's got one who can turn invisible? Are they all immune to bullets?

Probably to make the other members live in fear that an invisible assassin could be lurking and waiting to strike. They basically poo poo themselves when Tobias lifted his hand to signal another possible murder.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

CW pilot news, Powerpuff Girls' pilot got rejected but they're getting another go at it with the same cast . The Black Lightning spin-off Painkiller has been passed on.

I figured the Painkiller spinoff was greenlit due to how much they were showing this season, but I guess not.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That was a satisfying finale. Managed to stick the landing and give everyone some sort of resolution(even Painkiller!). Despite the dip in quality of s4, it was still good and probably the most consistent of all the CW shows.

JJ and Jen. :staredog: It really seems like they were tossing in future season ideas. So JJ is the ionosphere spirit? Will of The Glaze? I guess it's sentient. Comics!

Haha Anissa straight up loving murdered that security guard with her firebomb.

The porch scene with Jeff, young Jeff and his dad was very good. :3: "Use the force energy rocks Jeff."

drat. Tobias really is a top tier villain. He really is full of spite right until the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Some more thoughts about the show overall and the final season:

I can understand why they killed off Henderson and the aftermath for Jeff, but replacing him with nu-Henderson just felt really sloppy. Especially all those times where he flat out said "I trust you because I trusted Henderson." This char should've been cut or the angle reworked.

Chief Lopez was also handled kinda poorly. Maybe they could have worked her character as someone who started out working with or tolerating Black Lightning only to change allegiances later. More wasted potential.

LaLa and his little turf war with not-Lady Eve was not great either. If they couldn't get the actress back, they shouldn't really have namedropped her and used her gang in the plot. Maybe have LaLa just butt heads against Tobias. LaLa was shown as an element of stability during the Freeland occupation, so they could have shown that some residents did like that vs Tobias and his grand promises while pretending to be a philanthropist. idk.

Also they completely dropped the magic / mysticism aspect of LaLa and Lady Eve which I thought was pretty interesting.

And just so it doesn't seem like I'm just nitpicking: I really liked the scenes in Anissa's apartment too. A lesser show would have had Gambi show up with his lady friend and maybe even nu-Henderson. But BL understood that it was just family and it worked.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 25, 2021