Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I had a period of absolutely loving this game, I got a bit sick of it eventually (the item degradation system is frustrating, and once you've played a bit you never get the experience of having to actually explore) but it's still a lot of fun.

I haven't played since a bit before the UI rework so I'm interested to see if there's much different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You'd think that you really need to be careful on Interloper but really because of the cold weather / blizzards / angry wildlife you're incentivised to just run around like an idiot trying to scavenge stuff for the first few days because trying to set up anything even vaguely approaching a routine just doesn't work - you need tools and clothing ASAP.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Do crows and feathers actually dynamically spawn when you have dead animals lying around, I always thought that they were fixed spawns based on the corpses which are created when you start a new game (I haven't played for like 2 years so maybe it changed at some point)

Related, the well fed buff and ability to murder bunnies with rocks looks like it makes the early game considerably more tolerable and probably more than compensates fixing the "spend half the time starving" loophole. Though it does mean you have to spend even more time picking cat tails. The reworked cooking system and quartering are also big changes making it easier to generate lots of edible calories.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 19, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

:negative:

That seems weird to take that much damage in a single struggle even on Interloper. Though FYI as far as I'm aware the hatchet is the better weapon for fighting off wolves, unless that changed recently. I guess if the framerate was really bad it might have not recorded the mouseclicks properly?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Saplings don't respawn, animals do, coal does, as do sticks, branches and birch bark. The magnifying glass doesn't wear out on Interloper so you can still start fires without matches. You can beachcomb for cloth and clothing to repair your clothes (there are item slots without craftable items) though I've never tried it so I don't know how easy / difficult this is. You will eventually run out of whetstones to do repairs with but you can still forge new knives and hatchets if you can generate some cloth. Tools can be repaired indefinitely if you have a source of scrap metal, which is theoretically limited but I'm not sure that it's practically possible to use it all up since there's rear end tons of beds etc that you can slice up with a hacksaw and there really aren't that many other uses for scrap metal, unlike cloth which you need to repair a bunch of your clothing.

Also fun thing I just found out from the wiki: apparently having tools in your inventory makes you produce arrows faster even though it doesn't say this anywhere! Quality tools give a 50% boost and regular tools 25%.