Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Interloper isn't fun for me. There's challenge, and then there's "you're going to get blizzards multiple times a day for a week straight and won't be able to do anything at all because you'll get lost and freeze five steps away from whatever hole you're hiding in, but you have to leave because it's the first few days and you haven't stockpiled much food yet so you're just dead no matter what". I love this game even at its most merciless but Interloper pisses me off because you generally don't have a chance to actually try to survive. Being hosed unless you plan well enough = fun. Being hosed no matter what = not fun.

It's possible I've just been unlucky, admittedly, but my few attempts have all been very similar and it put me off, so I stick to lesser difficulties.

Heck, I like playing Pilgrim and just walking around looking at how very pretty the game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Seems like a better start so far. I didn't know about that way into the lighthouse, I'll have to remember that.

I just run into appallingly bad luck on Interloper in the first couple of days and always get slammed with blizzard after blizzard, so I either daren't go anywhere for fear of getting lost (depending on which map I spawned on, I know some better than others) or my pathetic starter clothing gets shredded to the point where I start to freeze before I've found anything useful. Probably survivable but I generally wuss out at that point and start over on Stalker.

Then again I have bad luck in this game generally, playing through this myself I'd have sprained both ankles Skyrim-climbing into the lighthouse after going through the ice trying to snag that toque. That kind of bad luck is fun in its way though and is also what would happen in real life if I was in this situation.

Coastal Highway's my second favourite area of the game (favourite is Mystery Lake for sheer nostalgia, I started playing when that was the only region) and there's a lot of neat stuff here. Good luck. And don't worry about commentary, the game really speaks for itself most of the time and you're explaining things in the thread as well.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm always disappointed when I or anyone I'm watching isn't attacked by a wolf inside the dam. Fluffy's just a part of life, it's how things are meant to be and should never change.

Camp office is usually my main base, it's central to pretty much everywhere in ML and has lots of space to store things. I'm also guilty of the 'grab literally everything in one trip and then stumble along at the speed of treacle' method.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I tend to obsessively build up perfect caches in one base per region - a ton of firewood, water, a few canned goods, some of each type of medical supply, some herbal tea, spare cloth and scrap, some cured hide/gut/saplings, tools if I have spares. Keep all my coal in piles at the forges, with hammers if I have spares. Extra bedrolls if I play long enough to kill enough bears. That sort of thing. The theory is that I'll be able to travel light later on since I'll always have a home nearby equipped with everything I need.

Then I never end up going back to most of them until it's too late and I've run out of stuff and generally die to a wolf trying to get back to the cache I forgot about.

I'm good at this game. :downs:

Speaking of caches, are you going to try and find the bunker in ML before moving on? I usually check two or three places then lose patience. It probably isn't worth looking for on interloper anyway, I imagine it would be very disappointing - I know the stuff on Timberwolf is nerfed so presumably so are the caches.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The first moose kill is always an amazing feeling. Seeing that amount of meat lined up is extremely satisfying.

I started up a Pilgrim run just to wander around and scratch my itch a bit without having to concentrate too much. Started in ML, spawned by the Unnamed Pond. Immediately found a bow in the hunter's blind in the first minute or two. Uh, okay, game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Aww, that sucks.