Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/SuperWiki/status/1369762145655660545

(Dead) Kansas playing in Harvell's would have been incredibly lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Hiya SPN thread. We're starting S14 on the podcast, so I don't really read this thread of course. But if you're hard up for SPN content and want to see what kind of video would fit a SPN-themed cover of Careless Whisper, well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1WUMEQnHm4

This goes live at 10am CST

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/supernatural-prequel-the-winchesters-john-mary-jensen-ackles-dean-winchester-danneel-the-cw-1234781239/

quote:

Supernatural, one of the most important series in the history of the CW, is eyeing a comeback with a new iterationwith prequel The Winchesters, centered on Dean and Sam Winchester’s parents. The project, now in development at the network, is executive produced by Supernatural star Jensen Ackles, who will also reprise his Dean Winchester character as a narrator of the new show, and Ackles’ wife, Supernatural recurring guest star Danneel.

I'll admit, not immediately excited by this.

Edit: well someone's salty

https://twitter.com/jarpad/status/1408244711979159556

https://twitter.com/jarpad/status/1408246547867971586

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 25, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I mean, wouldn't you be?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Oh, so we're doing another "Sam and Dean are fighting because they don't communicate enough" arc this season.

Seriously though, how does this work? Wasn't John like a mechanic or something who had no clue about the supernatural, no idea his dad was a Man of Letters or that his wife was the daughter of a Hunter? The entire backstory revolves around John learning about this stuff after Mary dies. I mean, I suppose she can moonlight as a Hunter without John knowing? Or is it just their boring suburban life?

Do they recast John, Mary, and Samuel Campbell again? Do they just poo poo all over the 14 years of canon and all the flashbacks we saw? Are Angels gonna show up even though nobody knew about them? Do we go back to S1-5 rules with complex spells, overpowered demons, long exorcisms, etc? Or is it just late stage Supernatural where everybody has an Angel Blade and you can one shot most monsters, you can scrawl something in blood on the wall in Enochian and slap it with your hand to win,? Is Old Death around? Old Yellow Eyes? Crowley?

This is lame. Would rather see Jodi and Donna, Son of Sam, or almost anything else. No wonder Jensen didn't tell Jared.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Astroman posted:

Oh, so we're doing another "Sam and Dean are fighting because they don't communicate enough" arc this season.

lmao

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Astroman posted:

:roflolmao:

Astroman posted:

I suppose she can moonlight as a Hunter without John knowing?
That's how I'd do it if it were me. It could work. I'm not optimistic, but I'll give it a chance.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

every season ends with a memory wipe.

I'd much rather watch young(er) Bobby and Rufus ghostbust for 10 seasons.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
So much brain damage from head trauma in the first season. It'll make Smallville look like the NFL.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Astroman posted:

:perfect:

And yes agreed with all your points, I can't see how they do a young Mary and John show without reconning a whole lot. Go way back in time and make a Men of Letters show about John's family, or try for another Wayward Sisters spin off, young Dean Jr becomes a hunter and eventually meets up with (Jensen) Dean's kid (bc c'mon there's gotta be at least one more out there) and they team up and go on adventures. Idk, anything besides young John and Mary would be better.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Plus, out of all the time for them to pick for a show, they went with the shortest time. It's like having a show based on Castiel and only doing episodes from when Collins played him.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I'd be happy with a Men of Letters spin off.There is lots of potential

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Plus, out of all the time for them to pick for a show, they went with the shortest time. It's like having a show based on Castiel and only doing episodes from when Collins played him.

He may be an immortal creature the size of the Chrysler building, but nobody wants to see him if he isn't played by Collins.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
This show’s biggest missed opportunity was the Men of Letters.

That was the perfect time to start rotating in new characters on a provisional basis while keeping Sam and Dean ever present. Instead they just kept burning the supporting cast while introducing bafflingly stupid back-door pilots that nobody cared about.

Jared and Jensen could have sat back and collected checks for their minimal B/C-plot involvement while a bunch of newcomers did the heavy lifting.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea but the last time we had them take a back seat we got that god awful shapeshifter tv pilot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pretty weird he didn't know, given CW has him set up as the next Walker Texas Ranger.

The prequel idea is dumb for a lot of reasons, mostly because the power creep from 15 years of SPN means everything on the new show is going to have the impact of a wet fart, unless they do some crazy retcon stuff to make it epic world ending disasters staved off by mama and papa Winchester.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pentyne posted:

Pretty weird he didn't know, given CW has him set up as the next Walker Texas Ranger.

The prequel idea is dumb for a lot of reasons, mostly because the power creep from 15 years of SPN means everything on the new show is going to have the impact of a wet fart, unless they do some crazy retcon stuff to make it epic world ending disasters staved off by mama and papa Winchester.

All the monsters, first ones, gods, and ghosts Sam and Dean and their dad destroyed would still be there in the past. So many monsters. You can't go to the corner store for milk without tripping over a monster.

Not sure how the make anything tense when Ma and Pa Winchester can't die until their appointed times though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's even more complicated because we learn through the course of the main series that the hunting lore that Sam and Dean were working from was the equivalent of building a working car based off of a bar napkin schematic of a dude whose wife worked at the factory.

I think you could make a very compelling alt-history period price, but it would have to be dark. The Men of Letters were Rome and Rome has to fall long before Supernatural prime.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A Men of Letters period piece was right there

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

McSpanky posted:

You could even work Mary and John into a planned arc.

Season 1: Initiate Mary and her groovy Scooby gang proven themselves to the Men of Letters hunting the low level, but comparatively challenging monsters of the week.
Season 2: We see more of the Men of Letters and hints of corruption and decay. Introduce John as a complicating factor.
Season 3: Reveal Azazel as the big bad and build to a climactic final battle
Season 4: collapse of the Men of Letters
Season 5: Mary and John fight their way out of the chaos and settle in Lawrence.

I love the idea of Mary spending the bulk of th series reverse Clark Kenting an oblivious John.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

McSpanky posted:

Yes. This was plainly the best option. Though, I also thought Wayward Sisters could've been cool in a Buffy way.

John and Mary is easily the most boring option for a spinoff, though. Aside from the absurd retcons they'll need to do to make the show coherent, at best it'll be the stakes of early SN but with a winking understanding of the wider lore and all the absurd power creep that happens later. The original show already decimated the power of heaven and hell, and then killed God. Another story about a couple of freelance hunters has to cope with that.

Men of Letters would, too, but at least that has a radically different vibe and setting.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I think I’d rather have a spin-off of Castiel and Crowley solving crimes. I don’t care about how it’d work re: the timeline, just give it to me :colbert:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

All the former Megs locked in one Hollywood house and forced to compete for the role of "sexy grandma" on Riverdale.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HOLY gently caress posted:

I think I’d rather have a spin-off of Castiel and Crowley solving crimes. I don’t care about how it’d work re: the timeline, just give it to me :colbert:

The Big Finish Dark Shadows audios took a couple of characters, one of whom was a villain, and carved out a story arc where for a couple years in between episodes she heel-face turned. The teamed up as supernatural detectives and it absolutely owned.

Another thing I worry about is who is running/writing the show? Is it even any of the people who worked on it the past few years? Or did CW say "We can't exist without SPN, somebody make something!"

If they have to do a prequel they should have Chuck show up in the background of every episode like The Observers in Fringe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Ackles has gotten death threats over this. It's good to know that Supernatural Fandom is still a gigantic dumpster fire.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/jarpad/status/1408442589569863690

https://twitter.com/jarpad/status/1408483566229594116

https://twitter.com/JensenAckles/status/1408487000043360262

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pentyne posted:

If anything, I think undoing that power creep might be the best part of it. World-ending threats are way, way overdone, and smaller, more personal stakes generally work better anyway. Even having characters who we, the audience, know can't die isn't really an issue since they're not the only people in the world. Imagine if, as well as hunting things, they were also trying to save people? I know, weird concept for Supernatural, but it could work. And there's your stakes. We know Mary's going to get out of there alive, but will anyone else?

Xealot posted:

Though, I also thought Wayward Sisters could've been cool in a Buffy way.
I would've watched it anyway, but it was a huge mistake to centre it on the kids instead of Jody and Donna.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I dont see how they will make anything involving supernatural that anyone will wanna see at this point. This weird Twitter thing is kinda funny though. I wonder if they can win back the scorned Destiel fans.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

loving rear end in a top hat fans I swear to god :argh: I remember them driving Jim Beaver (Bobby Singer) off Twitter not too long ago too. Supernatural is definitely one of those things where I am a fan of it but avoid the poo poo out of fandom. One of the most toxic fanbases :mad:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

I would've watched it anyway, but it was a huge mistake to centre it on the kids instead of Jody and Donna.

It probably would have been better if it was more focused on Jody and Donna as hunters, who also hold down regular jobs and try to take care of some kids orphaned by monsters. By focusing on the kids as the main characters it was like "Facts of Life But With Monsters".

I don't know if it was the actor or the writers or what, but the Claire Novak character simply wasn't interesting. She was supposed to be this broody badass main character, and it just didn't work. She was tapioca pudding but everybody around her tried to pretend she was spicy.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My podcast finally finished Supernatural:

https://twitter.com/MOTWcast/status/1491853015590055944

Also I've been looking for the last few days, and I think my podcast is the only podcast to have covered every single episode and still be fully publicly available. 🎉 (I am open to being corrected on this! I've been looking)

There's new info on The Winchesters, as well:

https://www.thathashtagshow.com/2022/02/11/the-winchesters-exciting-new-character-details-from-the-supernatural-prequel/

Short version: Mary meets John while hunting for her missing Dad. John is recently back from Vietnam. They're also casting Lakita, a super smart young hunter and Carlos, a Latinoand bisexual stoner that maybe plays guitar? 👀

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The last episode was so bad. "Oh after all dean is a huge chump and any monster could have killed him whenever, peace"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pile of brown posted:

The last episode was so bad. "Oh after all dean is a huge chump and any monster could have killed him whenever, peace"

I think as far back as season 4 they established the brothers were getting killed all the time and God kept bringing them back and removing their memories of it.

It's the most realistic ending given they literally fought God that two regular dudes can only get lucky for so long before eventually a simple mistake ends up ending the whole thing.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I thought it was more that God gave them plot armor i don't remember them getting resurrected a bunch. I also watched all 15 seasons in like 3 weeks while I was drunk during quarantine so there's a strong chance I missed something

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

pile of brown posted:

I thought it was more that God gave them plot armor i don't remember them getting resurrected a bunch. I also watched all 15 seasons in like 3 weeks while I was drunk during quarantine so there's a strong chance I missed something

At one point they go have a chat with Joshua (?) in a garden at the center of heaven and he tells them they've died a bunch of times before (and gone to heaven) but they've had their memories of it erased and been brought back to life. But there's also an entire episode where they explicitly say they have plot armor in the form of preternatural luck bc God gets mad and takes it away and they start getting colds, cavities, losing at pool etc.

tl;dr it's both

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The one where their TV star luck stops working was pretty great

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was cracking up when Sam was like "Did we ever even know HOW to pick a lock?"

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

And then Dean suddenly wasn’t able to handle eating garbage anymore and narrowly avoided making GBS threads himself :lmao:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean it's basically what God said would happen when they won. He showed Sam a world where they beat him, and they died to vampires. They managed to beat God in an unexpected way and subvert his vision.....so only Dean dies to a vampire. It's what they said from day one, hunting is a brutal and often short life. People like Bobby and Sam are the exception, most die young and bloody. The second their magic plot protection goes away Dean bites it when they try to take out an entire nest of vampires, as he would. Vampires are stronger and faster than people and they were wildly outnumbered, who the hell thinks they can just march in and kick rear end?

He wanted to be free, and he was free. Free to make incredibly stupid choices and die for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's that episode with Bobby where he teams up with like 3 other old hunters and by the end I think the other three are dead from fighting the genie or whatever and Bobby is left alone. I think Bobby only lasted as long as he did from making himself a sort of advisor to hunters as a group and staying out of the actual fighting.

In universe, the show starts with them being mid 20s, with Dean 26 and Sam 22, so by the time the show ends Dean is past 40, where the body starts to slow down just from sheer wear and tear. Losing a step and dying to a vampire seems perfectly reasonable. Also, for the most part, early on it was almost exclusively "gently caress, we need to find the weakness and exploit it" and they wouldn't dare of trying to 1v1 it, and the finale is just going in to throw down with a pack of monsters who physically outclass them by a lot, wildly overconfident from all the celestial rear end kicking.

It does suck that there wasn't a massive reunion with all the major cast for the finale farewell due to covid. That would've probably lessened the fallout from the ending a lot.