Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Mulva posted:

I mean it's basically what God said would happen when they won. He showed Sam a world where they beat him, and they died to vampires. They managed to beat God in an unexpected way and subvert his vision.....so only Dean dies to a vampire. It's what they said from day one, hunting is a brutal and often short life. People like Bobby and Sam are the exception, most die young and bloody. The second their magic plot protection goes away Dean bites it when they try to take out an entire nest of vampires, as he would. Vampires are stronger and faster than people and they were wildly outnumbered, who the hell thinks they can just march in and kick rear end?

He wanted to be free, and he was free. Free to make incredibly stupid choices and die for them.

I thought it was werewolves but I'm probably wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I am really skeptical about the prequel show. It sounds like they are throwing out every bit of canon and backstory of John and Mary in favor of a reboot.

This is what I recall about John and Mary: Mary's family were hunters. She gave it up at a young age, left the life, and never told John about it. John's father was a member of the Men of Letters, but he never knew and thought his father was a deadbeat who left him when he was a kid, because his father went to the future and he never knew that.

John and Mary were a normal 70s/80s suburban couple. Mary was killed by a demon, prompting naive John to learn about the unknown world of the supernatural, using his Vietnam skills to become a hunter to try and understand what happened to his wife. He learned about the existence of vampires, demons, werewolves, ghosts, and more from people like Missouri and Bobby. He became a great hunter after many years. This is his entire arc, an everyman dad who loses his wife and finds out about this whole other reality and learns to fight it.

Here's how the new show is doing it: https://www.thathashtagshow.com/2022/02/11/the-winchesters-exciting-new-character-details-from-the-supernatural-prequel/

quote:

The casting for Mary is looking for a white female to portray a 19-year-old. She is tough and sarcastic with a healthy distrust of strangers. On top of which, she has also been in the monster-hunting game since she was 7 years old.

The casting also releases a handful of story points about Mary. In the Pilot, she considers leaving monster-hunting behind after losing someone close to her. However, similarly to Sam and Dean, her father goes missing. Along her journey to find him, she meets John and reluctantly accepts his help. Not ready to admit her attraction to John, she hardens herself and steps up as the leader of a brand new team.

Originally portrayed by Jeffrey Dean Morgan as an adult and Matt Cohen in flashbacks, the casting for John Winchester is looking for a white male to portray a 19-year-old. Described as a Vietnam Veteran who is bold, selfless, John is also optimistic and has a calming presence under any circumstances. Which, to me, is very different from the man we’ve come to know in Supernatural.

The casting also released some interesting story points about John as well. Returning home from Vietnam, which he joined illegally hoping to follow in his fathers’ footsteps, and not finding what he was looking for in the military, John finds his new mission at home. John traces his father’s real past – leading him to a secret organization. Which one can assume is The Men of Letters.

All over the world, incredible and brave individuals known as Hunter fight an unseen battle against darkness in order to protect humanity. In 1972, we meet a ragtag group of new and experienced Hunters that discover a deadly threat that their predecessors have been trying to prevent for years. Mary Campbell was raised to fight by her parents, and John Winchester, kept in the dark his whole life, team up to save the world while discovering their true legacy in the process.

So this is a CW show about sexy teens in the 1970s hunting monsters and John knows about hunting, monsters, Mary's family, and finds out about his father. Mary never makes the deal with Azazel in 1973 for 10 years of a normal life, because apparently she leads a monster hunting Scooby gang with John. Mary never had conflict with her father Samuel about dating naive John because Samuel was missing and John helps her find him?

I have always been skeptical of prequels in long established shows because they tend to say "gently caress all those hundreds of episodes of canon, we can't burden new viewers with having to know all that poo poo and we can't chain the writers with having to worry about it!" Star Trek has somewhat been able to stay within the lines, but here have been noticable retcons. Doctor Who gets away with it more because Time Travel. This sounds like they are completely loving off with the established lore in a canon heavy show to do a complete reimagining or alternative timeline.

You also have the added burden here of setting a show in the 70s. You can't just roll up to a suburb of Vancouver and film what's there, you need classic cars, period costumes, vintage props. Why hamstring your show with that? One of the characters is Carlos, who is "Latinx/Latino, and bisexual". Are they going to realistically explore what it would have been like for a gay/bi Hispanic in 1970s Kansas, or will this just be a world where everyone's cool with that and has modern attitudes, because they are doing a show with current day sensibilities?

I really can't get excited for this. A 2022 set spin-off done well like one with Donna and Jodie would have been great. Or something else in that world. A prequel just sounds like a show that is not for me.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 13, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The only way I can see them explaining the likely retconning of John and Mary's backstory is that this is one of the other Earth's/timelines or some other nonsense. When they announced the prequel news my initial response was "meh" and the casting rumors have really done nothing to change that. I really wish they had done a show about young Rufus and Bobby teaming up with other hunters instead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean they can start the show in the present where some monster goes back in time to try to change things.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Pretty sure the fanbase is more aware of the prequel for snubbing Jared Padelecki then for any potential canon erasure. Sucks for Jensen, who's apparently the executive producer, because if they don't get the other half of the main reason people watched the show, it's gonna leave a bad taste in their mouths.

I watched the episode of Michael Rosenbaum's podcast with Jensen and he pretty much came clean on it, that he didn't even know the show was really gonna get made at the point it was leaked and had told literally no one about it but Jared's tweet kind of blew up in the social media sphere in a really negative way. He apparently reached out to clear it up but was like "poo poo, I can't even expect to get more then a pilot filmed at this point" and admits that despite his superstition about talking about the show before it gets a secure deal Jared was the one person he should've kept in the loop.

There's no way they don't go the entire first season with some major returning character, like Crowley or something that at least makes somewhat plausible sense, unless the season finale reveals its a completely alternate world then they can go hog wild with cameos and references.

Also, time travel is apparently fairly easy in the show if you have angel feathers? The whole MoL thing was a needed aspect to keep the show fresh halfway in plus the bunker was a great general purpose set, but given that they were only wiped out in America and no where else it never made sense that the UK Branch didn't come in during the late 70s and take over the infrastructure operations (also that they were introduced by pretending like the Winchesters, who had literally stopped Armageddon, are on a first name basis with Death, buddies with the King of Hell, and best friends with major high ranking Angels, would be completely outclassed by a bunch of snobby Oxbridge legacies).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

GreenNight posted:

I mean they can start the show in the present where some monster goes back in time to try to change things.

I guess, but that's pretty much what Star Trek 2009 did. Do a total reboot of actors, stories, sets, tech, canon-but try to have your cake and eat it too with the OG fans by doing a tentative timey-wimey link that means gently caress all.

They can do it, but The Winchesters will always be Kelvinverse tier.

(Though if it's a demon named Melvin so we can call it the "Melvinverse" I will give them full credit and watch at least the first 3 eps)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Astroman posted:

I really can't get excited for this. A 2022 set spin-off done well like one with Donna and Jodie would have been great. Or something else in that world. A prequel just sounds like a show that is not for me.

A Donna and Jodie spinoff makes so much sense and could be so good. It's a real shame they ruined any chance of that by trying to do it with the kids as the main characters.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
They even backdoored it in one of the later seasons and it was good

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Astroman posted:

One of the characters is Carlos, who is "Latinx/Latino, and bisexual". Are they going to realistically explore what it would have been like for a gay/bi Hispanic in 1970s Kansas, or will this just be a world where everyone's cool with that and has modern attitudes, because they are doing a show with current day sensibilities?

The 70s weren't as repressed as we might expect. That was the age of swingers. Yeah being gay was still considered a mental illness and illegal in more places than now, but acceptance has to start before those things get overturned, not after. There were prominent gay characters on Soap (1977) and Barny Miller (1975). They were comical characters, but they weren't reviled. (Yes loads of conservative people wrote in to complain, just like now, but it wasn't everyone.) Disco was gay as hell, and not just the Village People.

I'm no gay historian, but my impression from living through that time is that things got a lot worse for gay men and boys during the "gay plague" AIDS panic of the 80s. The 90s seem more sexually repressed than the 70s.

It also depends on the character of course. Honestly it might have been even easier to pass as straight back then if that's what he tries to do. If you're a manly man and not a gay stereotype people will assume you are straight. It's honestly pretty inexpensive to include a gay character in a show like Supernatural where sex usually only comes up to show a surprise monster or create a 'meaningful' victim.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

pile of brown posted:

They even backdoored it in one of the later seasons and it was good
That's what I was referring to when I said "they ruined any chance of that by trying to do it with the kids as the main characters". The issue with that episode was that they were trying to make the kids the stars of the show when it would have been way better to focus on the adults.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Making Castiel's vessel's daughter a dark and troubled teen certainly made a fair amount of sense, but she was a lousy character.

The other girls were a lot more interesting.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So I guess this is happening:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1524834422801207296

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Haunted truck origin story lfg

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4w_hwnlv2k

:yikes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Christ that looks loving terrible :stare:

I know the main show got severe power creep over the years, but remember when a single demon was a gigantic issue almost impossible to deal with (which in turn made the demons' terror of an Angel showing up hit even harder, before Angels also became easy-beats). Based on this trailer it seems the demons had a minor blip in the 80s and 90s of being tough and throughout the rest of history were just easily dispatched cannon fodder that a single human could easily handle.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Nah, it's fine Jensen we don't need another take.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The music choices and tone shifts in that trailer, coupled with the slap-stick punch sound effects are at complete odds with the subject matter and it just comes off as extremely cringy. It's also just so...clean, and bright. I'd bet money Mary is going to say "dad's been on a hunting trip and hasn't been home in a few days" in ep 1.

They're almost setting it up as if Dean is an unreliable narrator of his parent's past which is why they're completely disregarding canon, except that in Supernatural he knows how his parents got together bc an angel forced him into the past to see how Mary was trying escape the hunter lifestyle and John was entirely oblivious to it. I assume they will explain this somehow as something something angel meddling or whatever but, ugh. It looks so bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That trailer is god awful, everything from sound choice, editing, composition, literally anything about trailer design.

I guess I don't really care about whether or not the show contradicts the show Canon but those scenes of the two main characters had literally zero chemistry.

Somewhere Jared is smiling in anticipation of the perfect moment to go "no thanks dude, I'm good" when asked to guest star.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He got kinda pissy on Twitter when he found out about it because no one told him anything before the news came out. They all made up though.

Show looks weird. Completely tosses out any sort of timeline, and I'm wondering what the gently caress, because if he wants to solve the mystery of how his parents met, he lives near them in heaven. He can just ask.

Unless Jack does some weird time poo poo or multiverse poo poo, I can't even figure out WHEN the show is supposed to take place, because the last 3 seasons were basically day after day after day.

I gotta admit, it looks better than that godawful backdoor pilot they did for the alpha show.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Supernatural really dropped the ball with the Men of Letters. That was the perfect opportunity to have Sam and Dean rotate back to supporting cast and have various other hunters take center stage. You have the B plots be the season arc story with the A plots as MotW. No need to gently caress around with those lovely back door pilots.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Slamhound posted:

Supernatural really dropped the ball with the Men of Letters. That was the perfect opportunity to have Sam and Dean rotate back to supporting cast and have various other hunters take center stage. You have the B plots be the season arc story with the A plots as MotW. No need to gently caress around with those lovely back door pilots.

I remember something about they built the bunker set and then realized they basically had to use it for several seasons to save money, and kind of locked them into that plotline for several seasons.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Why not just do a Bobby Singer prequel?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That'd have been the smart route. poo poo, Bibby is the guy who is supposed to have taught John all his poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If they wanted to do a period piece there were loads better choices than retreading John and Mary. Pick a decade and there would be monsters to fight there.

The final years of the men of letters, Mad Men but with magic, everybody wearing snappy suits and smoking. They could even reuse the bunker sets with minimal redressing.

Or the early days of the men of letters, when the Americas were a new frontier and the British MoL decided to make a deal with the bigwig monsters to ignore them if they left the UK for the new world -- did a few guys break off and start the american MoL in defiance of that deal? That sounds cool.

The colt exists because there were monsters in the old west. Where there Winchesters there? Yeah, probably.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Nah, it's fine Jensen we don't need another take.

I genuinely thought it was a fan parody trailer and that was someone doing a Jensen Ackles impression until a full 30 seconds in.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The fact that they're starting by retconning/ignoring a bunch of stuff from the original show is not a good sign. Like, if they wanted to be free of that baggage they could have just chosen to not make it be about John and Mary. I'm confident that setting it in the recent past is going to prove to be a massive mistake as well.

And we know that Sam's son becomes a hunter. So why not just make him the protagonist and set it in the near future? You don't even have to worry about getting predictions about the future wrong, because you can just say that after Jack became god their world diverged from ours in unpredictable ways (since Chuck was no longer directing it for his own entertainment). It would give them complete freedom to design their show's world.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Winchesters is starting tonight on the CW at 8pm EST, anybody gonna tune in? I guess I'll be giving it a chance.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Well poo poo, it was actually pretty good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sirotan posted:

Nooooo, this is the worst news.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sirotan posted:

I don't believe you

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The tone in the trailers was extremely silly and bad and with the exception of a couple bits this episode was much more serious in tone. Definitely felt like it belonged in the Supernatural universe.

Spoilers I guess

The soundtrack was killer, obviously. (Very end of the episode they cut to Dean writing in a journal and he says that he'll continue to pick the music, heh.)

It's obvious there is some kind of timeline fuckery going on or it'll turn out that John's memory is wiped eventually or something because they pretty much immediately show him meeting Mary and killing a demon and revealing to him that his dad was in the Men of Letters.

The first 20 minutes or so when it's just young John and Mary hunting was extremely solid, not sure about the Latika and Carlos characters just yet. They certainly seem to know a lot about hunting and killing demons, making demon traps, etc. which I'm fairly sure Sam and Dean spent like three seasons figuring out how to do.

Couple obvious call backs ("saving people, hunting things"), and some less obvious ones that were neat (reference to a Manners Motel on a map). Hit me right in the feels.

They reveal that there is some big bad from another dimension or whatever that is gonna try to destroy everything in creation yada yada that I kind of rolled my eyes at but
yeah I'll keep watching.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I went in with my expectations set about as low as they could go and I can say least say is the best spinoff attempt they've made thus far :v:

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I'll never care about original series John, but I'm optimistic about this one. Early bits were kinda bland as everyone met and it's wild that he just went along with everything, but we also got a good 70s monster. All I really wanted was a competent but burnt out Mary and a curious and introspective John and that might be what they're doing? There's every potential to go wrong but I liked it a lot more than I expected.

They could cool it with the yellow nostalgia filter though.

Psychepath fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 12, 2022

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Very surprised that this show actually kinda ruled.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sirotan posted:

It's obvious there is some kind of timeline fuckery going on or it'll turn out that John's memory is wiped eventually or something because they pretty much immediately show him meeting Mary and killing a demon and revealing to him that his dad was in the Men of Letters.

The first 20 minutes or so when it's just young John and Mary hunting was extremely solid, not sure about the Latika and Carlos characters just yet. They certainly seem to know a lot about hunting and killing demons, making demon traps, etc. which I'm fairly sure Sam and Dean spent like three seasons figuring out how to do.
The framing device (which seems extremely unnecessary so far) appears to be Dean putting the pieces together, so it certainly looks like like it's the case that all this information was lost somehow rather than it being a retcon. It still feels extremely clumsy though, and I would much prefer they just hadn't made it a prequel so that none of this would have been an issue.

Sirotan posted:

("saving people, hunting things")
He didn't finish the line though. :argh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tiggum posted:

The framing device (which seems extremely unnecessary so far) appears to be Dean putting the pieces together, so it certainly looks like like it's the case that all this information was lost somehow rather than it being a retcon. It still feels extremely clumsy though, and I would much prefer they just hadn't made it a prequel so that none of this would have been an issue.

That might hold water if he hadn't gone back in time and met his parents...twice! Like he literally knows John was unaware of Mary and Samuel being Hunters.

Based on some the positive reviews here and elsewhere, I'm going to give it a shot. But it's going to be tough to get around the fact that either they're rewriting the canon of a lore heavy show for funsies, or we're going to sit through multiple seasons of stuff for an end that will be "...and then an Angel wiped his memories!"

Maybe if they had Dean actually say "Wait a minute, this isn't what I saw at all! Mom never told me this!" At least acknowledge the elephant in the room. Maybe they will.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Robbie The Writer has said there's a twist at the end of the first season that will explain things. (Kind of a spoiler although he's said it publicly a bunch of places)

Idk if that will mean it completely complies with the canon of the original show but I also don't really care. The pilot was fun and gave me the same excitement I had for early seasons of SPN.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Obviously this is the alternate dimension where their dad set up a successful hunting corporation and they grew up as privileged rich kids. Or one of the thousands of other alternate dimensions, I guess.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Idk, honestly still enjoying this. It's doing a great job of recreating the vibe of the monster of the week eps from the early Supernatural seasons. CW's CGI has apparently not advanced much from those days, either. The music continues to do a lot of heavy lifting here.

Hearty lol out of me at the reveal that the big bad is maybe just some giant crabs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I appreciate that they were basically doing Wendigo again, but good. I think I like all the supporting characters and the chemistry between John and Mary is there. What a genuine surprise.